“Disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Hong Kong, China
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I've stayed in many resort hotels in Bali, so I can live my experience comparing the resorts of Bali. This is review about The Laguna Resort and Spa, A Luxury Collection Chain @ Nusa Dua Area, (and some comparation about The Laguna and others hotel).

1.Pre-Reservation
At the time of going to book, I compared prices between the travel agents and direct to the hotel ... in the beginning I saw the price for garden view room is more nearly equal (about USD 200), .... but a week later when I want to travel agents booking through a garden view room is said to have run out, there are pool view (about USD 240) .... but at the same time I look at the hotel website, there is a Garden View, but the price has gone up, not $ 200 more (about $ 240) .... at the same price and I had been raised to take Pool View ..... I was supposed to be disappointing if there diwebsite a garden view, why the hotel management said no to a travel agent?? so I had to take the Pool View (which is more expensive) .... And also when I lived there, I was asked directly at the hotel check-in staff at the time, he said there is still a garden view... 1/5

2.I plan to stay here because it coincided with my wife's birthday (check-in time was my wife's birthday), my wife is a member of SPG (Starwood Preffered Guest). When checked in, my wife shows her SPG card and ID card. They should know that this is her special day, but they do not give a surprise, such as cake, or at least congratulations ... this is very disappointing, because the previous night we stayed at a lot cheaper in the Kuta area (about USD 90 vs. USD 250), but they had a surprise in the morning before checking out to give the cake (check out time is her birthday). My wife is also not a member at the hotel, but they can remember the little things ... a few weeks earlier when my birthday at the others 5 Star Resort Hotel in Nusa Dua Area, they also had a surprise in the form of room upgrades, even when I was not a member of the its hotel chain ... The Laguna greatly disappoints me... 1/5

3.Hotel Landscape and Beach Area
A typical hotels in the Nusa Dua resort ... did not give me the "Wow Factor" like Grand Hyatt/Ayana (which when dropped in the lobby, and looking towards the resort has given a feeling of "wow"). Just a couple of swimming pools, surrounded by tropical plants two hotel buildings either side... The Laguna only have a short coastline (maybe 200 meters?) beachfront area, the others hotel in Nusa Dua Area have a much more long coastline, like Conrad (about 300 m), GH (the longest - about 650 m)... 3/5

4.Hotel Room
Rooms are a bit old, especially in the bathroom, there are some parts that have cracked bathroom ... comfort in the room but stay awake, TV, air conditioning, all in good condition. Maybe that should be added is the water heater (kettle for coffee / tea) are not provided in the rooms... 4/5

5.Hotel Condition
Carpets and elevator in the hotel building already looks old and poorly maintained, so it looks a bit messy. The main pool (which there is a waterfall and a sand-beach like) slob because many leaves are falling in the pool... 2/5

6.Hospitality
Standards, not overly friendly, which is the most friendly when in Arwana (breakfast) ... like others hotel in Nusa Dua Area... , super friendly .. I think it's because of human competition in Nusa Dua Area, where many 5 star hotels in Nusa Dua or maybe the best employee from The Laguna moved to the sister-resort, St.Regis, more luxurious properties from Starwood... 3/5

7.FB
Just try to eat breakfast, taste and choice of standard, compare to other hotels. there are 2 options for breakfast, Arwana the edge of the sea and Banyubiru in the center of the resort. I choose arowana, but its ocean view is not good when compared to its resort competitor in Nusa Dua Area... 3/5

8.Location
Strategic location, close to the entrance to the Nusa Dua area / Bali Collection. Bali Collection is like a market / shopping mall, for dining, shopping, hang out, spa massage. There are 3 hotels which are located closest to the Bali Collection (about 5-10 minute walk), the Grand Hyatt (on the right Bali Collection), Melia, and The Laguna (on the left)... 5/5

Recomended: No
Return To Sleep: No, i want to Try more luxurious properties from Starwood (St.Regis), I hope St.Regis don't dissapoint me, so I can give my faith back to Starwood.

Room Tip: Wait till refurbishment.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FSB_81
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear FSB_81,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for re-posting your review on Tripadvisor.

Firstly we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced along your stay with us and we really appreciate your feedback since it allows us to look into the areas where we have failed to meet your expectation.

Please be advised that rates are dynamic and can change day by day depending on the demand. Our branded website will always show the best available rate for a particular day. Room availability on the day itself can fluctuate due to last minute cancellations and/or no shows.

We sincerely apologize for failing to recognize your wife's birthday and we really appreciate your feedback regarding our room condition. Rooms renovation will be taken into consideration when the hotel carries out the next refurbishment.

Please rest assured since we have shared all your concerns to related departments for our improvement and we do hope that your less than perfect experience did not prevent you from returning to our Resort and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Mark van Leeuwen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Whilst we have visited Bali numerous times, our recent visit at The Laguna was our family's favorite. Great facilities, wonderful service and delicious food have ensured our next visit to Bali will be at The Laguna! The Front Desk Manager, Dwi, really made our visit special. The newly opened Deli offers great sandwiches, lattes and gelatos! This along with the fantastic pools and beach are ideal for any family vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Lagoon provide excellent views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Perry L
Dear Perry L,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We are happy to learn that you and your family enjoyed your stay at our Resort and it is also pleasing to hear that our staff has taken a good care of you and I will personally extend your compliment to our Front Office Manager Assistant, Dwi, who will feel happy for making your stay with us a memorable one.

We do hope that your nice impression of our Resort will bring you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

SLC
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I spent three nights at the Laguna and it's a solid property. Platinum's are offered points or full buffet breakfast. As a lifetime gold they also gave me a 60 minute massage (good for two people) which I thought was a great benefit.

I was upgraded to a newly renovated "studio room" which was clean, modern and comfortable. The grounds are well taken care of and the staff is very good.

The resort is older so if you expect a new five star resort you should head to the St. Regis. I paid ~150 USD per night and would consider it an exceptional value for the price (I've stayed at 1* FourPoints for more).

For those who like a little more local flavor and really want a bang for the buck experience, I'd recommend the Sheraton on Lombock. It's a steal at ~80 USD per night and I've been upgraded to a suite every-time I've been. It's also close to a lot of local flavor (restaurants and shopping). However, there aren't clubs or other similar types of entertainment.

Anyway, the Laguna is a solid property and I'd certainly return if in Bali (the spa is very good btw, and worth the cost over the local providers).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pagasa14
Dear Pagasa14,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We really appreciate your favorable review regarding your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your highlights in regards with our service and facilities and we are glad that you were happy with our spa treatment and the room upgrade.

It is pleasing to learn that you enjoyed everything we had offered and we hope that this beautiful memory will bring you back to our Resort in the near future

With best regards,

Mark Van Leeuwen
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Try the laguna pool at night, amazing... with the moon above you, and only the sound of the waves you make.
The hotel is amazing.... and they provide shuttle hourly service to the shopping mall in the Nusa Dua area, ask the receptionist for more information.
We stayed in a pool view room, not the laguna-access room, and it was more than great! :)
We stayed for 4 days as part of our honeymoon, but really wished we could stay there forever!

The breakfast was also amazing, variety of food from all tastes...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Merothehero
Dear Merothehero,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for taking some of your precious time to write on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to learn that you enjoy your honeymoon stay with us and we really appreciate your nice feedback in regards with our service and facilities.

We do hope that your memorable experience will bring you back to our Resort in the near future.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed in The Laguna last week and I would say that the front desk and the butler has done a good job to make my stay wonderful. Was being welcome by the staff during check in and the butler then brought us to the room. On our way to the room, the butler introduce to us the facilities in the hotel. Room was slightly old but i think is still acceptable. Stayed in a suite and I love the bath tub. Call for the butler for tea/coffee. No complains on the room. Wanted to visit the BBQ buffet restaurant ended in another restaurant. Reason because you will be eating with all the flies that comes with the buffet. Very unhygienic. The one at Westin is a better choice and is Westin is just beside The Laguna which can be access by the beach.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bobng80
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Bobng80,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We really appreciate your positive feedback regarding our rooms and hospitality service and we sincerely apologize that our cuisine presentation was not up to your satisfaction.

Please be rest assured that this is not the indicative of the level of service we try so hard to maintain and we will review this with our F&B team for immediate action and improvement.

Thank you for your patronage and we do hope that your less than perfect experience will not prevent you from coming back to our Resort in the near future

Tehran, Iran
Reviewed February 16, 2013

the hotel make great experince which we cannot forgot it and courage us to travel to bali again .the area of hotel is so beatiful and souranded by pools with green nature .staffs were so kind and polite .the rooms was big ang great view our view was garden which was so nice .we recomended the hotel to any one who wants to travel bali island .

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Babak H
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Babak H,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We are glad to read your favorable review regarding our Resort, grounds and the team. Your positive feedback is in line with the surrounding reviews and we are really proud that our efforts to making your experience with us a memorable one are well recognized.

Thank you for recommending our Resort to other reviewers and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I returned yet again to Laguna and weren't disappointed. The friendly staff, beautiful gardens and the pool made for a great holiday. The resort is in a good location with easy access to everything you would want. We particularly enjoy early walks on the beach as the sun comes up and late afternoon drinks at the bar near the beach as the band plays all those great numbers that connect with wonderful memories. The corner store is a great initiative and the two young men working there, in training, were a delight and are certainly an asset to the hotel. A great place to enjoy a coffee, ice cream or a meal - the Corner store has it all. We also enjoyed listening to the gamelan in the foyer. We will be back. We highly recommend Wayan if you are looking for a driver, he speaks good English, has a nice car and is pleasant in every way, we have got to know him over the years and he has never let us or our friends down. www.balieasygoing.com. or email wahyu_bali77@hotmail.com phone 62 8123990367
The card we received from the hotel, welcoming us back, was much appreciated.

Room Tip: We have stayed at Laguna 4 times and I prefer the upper levels (not ground floor).
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank windsong2444
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Windsong2444,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

It is pleasing to learn that you returned to stay with us and enjoyed our service and facilities once again.

We are also happy to hear that our team at Cornerstone took care of you along your stay and we will also extend your compliment to Wayan who has helped you to create a memorable experience with us.

We do hope that your nice impression of our Resort will bring you back to The Laguna in the near future.