“Perfect Gateaway, nothing to complain about”

The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Malang, Indonesia
“Perfect Gateaway, nothing to complain about”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Me, my husband and our son stayed for 2 nights and i have to say tha was not enough, we want to extend our stay but the hotel was busy. I will start with check in, I arrived with taxi and was only with my son, soon we get to lobby a few staff welcome us by opening the door and help with my bags and even pick up my son hahaha it was great I dont need to worry about anything. check in was quick and we were escorted to our room and was good size room,happy with the room. Butler service is 24hours,we had couple times in room dining and the food was yummy. my husband love this hotel because the swimming pool is everywhere around the hotel. the beach is beautiful and we went kayaking which was great. breakfast amazing so many choices. Our last night we use baby sitter service and the lady was really good with kid. What can i say everything in the room and hotel is just perfect for us, we are very happy and planing to go back in 2months.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rizka G
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Rizka G,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua Bali.

We are delighted to be a part of your wonderful vacation. It is always pleasing for us to receive such compliment and acknowledgement from our valued guests.
Allow us to extend this message to our concerned departments whom I know will be very proud to learn that their efforts are well acknowledged.

Once again, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in two months for a longer and more enriching journey with us.

Mark Van Leeuwen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Laguna is a lovely hotel and it Is very beautiful. The staff are very helpful and attentive. The food is not very good, the same buffet every breakfast and dinner. Wine is very expensive, even the cheapest is about £15.oo a glass. As are other drinks. No one there in the evening as eating else where e.g bali experience. The hotel is a long way from any of the major attractions and the traffic is very heavy in Bali. The beach was poor to others, and we were
pestered all day by sellers. The room was nothing special and service was good in the beginning but after the first week found we had to keep ringing for basics like hair conditioner where It hadnt been replemished. Please note to lock all belongings away. A pair of earrings that I had in box in bed side drawer and a pashmina that I had left in the case went missing while I was there. I would not stay in this hotel again. This was a 25th Anniversary Trip and we stayed for 2 weeks and were disappointed. We had travelled from UK and were not happy with the experience.

Room Tip: Ask to be facing the big lagoon, we were at the back and there was constant noise from the car park...
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Natalie02
Dear Natalie02,

Warmest greetings from the Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for taking some of your precious time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

First of all, I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback and I sincerely regret to learn that you were not satisfied with your stay with us. I am most concerned about your comments, which we take very seriously, and I would love the chance to speak with you about your stay. Please contact me anytime so that we can assist you further.

Chengdu, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here for 7 nights in September 2012.  Booked an executive suite, which was plenty of space for a family of four.  The entire hotel is what you would expect from a luxury collection hotel.  There are number of pools that surround the property (including a shaded kid's pool) so none of them ever felt over crowded.  The grounds were beautiful and well manicured and the food at the restaurants and breakfast buffet was great.

We only noticed two things which we had hoped would be better.  First of all, the beach is only wading depth for about 200 meters.  The tide comes in during the afternoon but still it is maybe only waist deep.  Also, there was vegetation growing and seaweed floating everywhere in the water, from the beach to as far out as you can walk.  It wasn't a very pleasant experience trying to swim / walk in. We live in the area, so we go to plenty of nice beaches every year, but if I had flown from Europe or the United States for my once in a lifetime trip to Bali.... I would be very disappointed if I planned to spend my time on the beach.

Second, the staff was very nice and helpful, but a day didn't go buy when we weren't overcharged on our bill poolside.  We found this a little strange as we would watch them write our order down, literally word for word, but still over charge from what was in the menu.  They always corrected it, but was a little annoyance.

Also worth noting that the Westin is right next door.  Since it is a Starwood promptly you can eat there, but they will not let you use the pools or other facilities there which was a disappointment for our 6 year old as there was a nice water slide there.  She used it twice while my wife went to go get towels.  That was then they told us we could not use the pool and the guy actually followed her back to where we were to make sure we got out of the pool.  Seemed extreme to me, but who knows.  After the state of the beach, they already lost my vote on staying in Nusa Dua again.

We ventured out of the hotel for dinner most nights.  The Bali collection is basically a touristy shopping area within a 10 minute walk from the hotel.  There is a supermarket, pharmacy and plenty of restaurants all vying for your business.  Prices are ok and we weren't impressed by the food much, but maybe we just chose the wrong place.  There are also local places a bit further away that will send a car for you.  Just talk to the concierge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank gjr26645
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear gjr26645

Warmest greetings from the Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor and informing us that you are satisfied with our breakfast selections and our facilities.

We also appreciate your constructive feedback with regards to the overcharged bill. We do regret that our standard has slipped and would like to apologize for this inconvenience. I will personally share this less than perfect experience with our team to ensure immediate rectification is made.

Once again, thank you for residing with us and we do hope to welcome you back to our resort on your next visit to Bali, when you will notice a significant improvement.

Bekasi, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Laguna in English is lagoon. The hotel delivers lagoon concept for swimming pools and I think they are success for that. The pool is everywhere of the hotel. They even have pool that is designed like a beach. My room's terrace straight to the swimming pool. Like other hotel in Nusa Dua this hotel also located close to the beach.

Room Tip: Choose room with terrace straight to the swimming pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Samuelpas
Dear Samuelpas,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

It is pleasing to learn that you enjoyed our resort and facilities during your recent stay with us.
The Laguna is one of the leading Resorts in Nusa Dua beach which offer oversized swimming pool and surrounding blue lagoons for utmost satisfaction of our valued guests.

We do hope that your memorable experience will bring you back to The Laguna in the near future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

"What you see is what you get" applies to his hotel. There are a number of hotels in Bali/Nusa Dua of this category - with the same strengths and weaknesses. Positive: great service, wonderful pool area stretching throughout the hotel garden, clean beach, free wifi, good gym and diverse breakfast. Less positive: price is a bit more than the decent level in Indonesia, the rooms are worn out and offering nothing beyond standard. On the contrary, our room had the dresser and safe in the bathroom. Not exactly a convenient arrangement for three persons.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kai S
Dear Kai S,

Warm greetings from the Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for your both kind compliment and constructive feedback on our Tripadvisor pages.

Firstly we are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed our facilities and services. It is always pleasing to learn that what we offered has lived up to our guests’ expectation.
In reference to your comments related to the room condition, we apologize for not meeting your standard and are continuously looking for ways to improve the hotel. Feedback of this nature will be used in our evaluation process to decide what needs to be done and where.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at The Laguna Resort & Spa and we do hope that your less than perfect experience will not prevent you from staying at our Resort on your upcoming visit to this Paradise Island.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Where to begin...being overwhelmed by anxiety about this holiday would be a good place to start. When getting to the Airport, I almost bottled out of going to Bali, because I was incredibly apprehensive about travelling so far away from the UK. A flight of plus 27hours for just 2 and half weeks really did create panic. However, I did persevere and place trust in both my husband and belief that the positive reviews for this hotel would be true. I was looking forward to a much needed break away after a very tough few months resulting from illness.

I believe it is important to state the above, because, after what turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable journey to Bali (via a stopover in Singapore) with Singapore Airlines, we were overwhelmed by the sheer luxury and serene beauty of this wonderful hotel. Before I continue, I will also add that we were virgins with Virgin Holidays, so this holiday was a totally new experience from the travel agent, to the airline, to the Island of Bali.

After being picked up from the airport by our private car, we arrived in Nusa Dua and our hotel. There are no words in the English language to describe our initial impression, because both the grounds in Nusa Dua and lead up to the Laguna were incredibly beautiful and well kept. We were speechless, which if you knew us, is a very rare occurrence.

We had read, prior to our visit, some negative comments on here remarking on how tired and run down this hotel was looking. Now, I am one for believing in subjectivity, but I do not know where anyone can get that impression from, because the whole reception area (huge, clean, and very open), welcome drink, cool flannel, and incredibly warm welcome did nothing, but impress us and go beyond our expectations. There was no sign of any "worn down and in need of some restoration" areas at all.

The hotel was just so beautiful and it was like staying in a hotel that was in the middle of the jungle, because of the amount of greenery, lagoons, and pools. Our first night, we ordered room service, which was a little pricey, but nothing more than what we would pay in the UK. The trolley arrived with our selected buffet in excellent time. To our amazement, the trolley was then turned into a dining table for both myself and husband to dine at. Now, we are both quite well travelled, but have never experienced this before, let alone the incredible service from the staff so far.

The beach is at the opposite end of the complex to the reception area and was equally as beautiful, with a walk to left or right. For those who do not like walking in the heat of the sun, or getting sand in their knickers, there is a concrete path you can walk along also :). The beach is not as white as other beaches we have been too, which were in the Caribbean, but it is still beautiful and in keeping with the beauty of both this hotel and Bali.

On both the beach and around the hotel, there were always enough sun loungers for us and no one got up at the gnats-crack of dawn to carefully place their sweaty towel on their selected sun lounger. Towels are provided around the resort and are always in plentiful supply.

We had a lagoon access room, which was very private and enabled us to enjoy a very relaxing bathe in the lagoon at the beginning and end of the day. With a sun-lounger, bar, and towel provider opposite our room, you would think we would have stayed around our room for the duration, but this hotel is so beautiful and with so many different parts, we had to investigate and sunbathe everywhere. We did not see any rain or cloud over our entire stay, which for late October and Early November is rare due to it being the Monsoon season.

The butler service was an incredible asset to the hotel, because they always arrived with our requested items such as coffee, bottles of water (these are free and in plentiful of supply), or an iron. There was a mention on here previously about the butler service being a negative, because there is no kettle provided, but why would you want to get up and boil a kettle, when you can just roll over and ring your butler, enabling you to grab an extra 10 minutes in bed. I should add here that each room has a door bell, so it is almost like a home-from-home.

I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel, because there was not any fault that we could find at all. The staff are the biggest asset to this hotel, because they are so helpful, welcoming, and accepting of a completely different culture. Despite being a same-sex couple and having experienced some homophobia and discrimination in other places, this hotel (and in fact everyone we came into contact with around the whole of Bali) treated us the same as everyone else, which is all we ask for. The manners and service that are delivered across the whole of Bali could really teach a lot of businesses back in the UK a lesson or two.

I would like to mention we usually make use of a spa when away and this was no exception, especially as everywhere you go in Bali, someone wants to get their hands on your body. We ended up having four, two of which were at the hotel spa. This spa was amazing and we opted for an outdoor Balinese massage, but were eaten alive by mosquitoes, which you do expect in a country like this, but it reduced the enjoyment of the massage, because every so often the masseuse would stop and slap you. We made a passing comment about this, but nothing more than a comment, because the time of day we had this massage and location meant it was to be expected really. We were given a free meal at the on-the-beach Arwana restaurant (we were staying bed and breakfast) and another indoor Balinese massage to compensate for our discomfort. This was well above anything we expected, because we did not even complain about it.

I will now mention about the restaurants. We had chosen not to eat at the hotel due to the prices for the evening meals in comparison to the near-by Bali Collection, which was often 75% cheaper than the hotel. However, the prices at the hotel were what you would expect to pay in the UK for a similar meal. Besides, considering you have travelled half way around the world, why would you want to stay in the same place to eat, when you can go out and explore. If you are going to eat at the hotel, you must try the Arwana, where you can dine on the beach. As mentioned previously, we were given a free meal here. Our table was on the beach, where we were able to experience a lunar eclipse, along with incredible food and 6-star service. That was one of our best nights ever and not because it was free as we did have to pay for the wine we had. The Arwana is a seafood restaurant, but do offer vegetarian, which meant that I did not starve that night. The food quality was equal to the incredible service of the staff...thank you to all the staff that night who made it so special for us.

We did so much around Bali and I could just go on about this hotel and our experience, but if you are considering a trip to Bali and want a hotel to stay in, this is it. It is excellent value for money and offers you more than you could ever want and expect. OK, if you are wanting an action packed holiday with bungee jumping and surfing, this hotel and Nusa Dua is not for you. Though it is only a short Taxi ride to the resort of Kuta if you are wanting more action. Kuta was also beautiful, but right next to the airport, so unless you are a keen plane spotter, you might not want to stay in Kuta.

We hired a private driver to do our trips around Bali and he was more than excellent. He was well versed in everything and every recommendation he suggested for where to go and what to see was in keeping with our interests and what we had told him we would like to see and do. We hired him for a couple of days and he was very reasonable in price, providing as much water as we could drink in an air conditioned car, which was needed in temps of 37+ and humidity of 95+.

On the subject of drivers, although the bluebird taxi's are recommended as the safest option to get around, be careful, because we were taken to an alternative destination that we stated and ended up being stranded, with a very long walk. It opened our eyes and taught us to not be so complacent in other countries, but did not ruin anything.

Overall, we cannot speak highly enough about the whole holiday. Virgin Holidays fulfilled their contract with their Rockstar Service. Singapore Airlines were the best we have travelled with so far. Singapore is a must see, and well what more can I say to give you an idea of where to stay in Bali. This hotel is a must-stay at one. We will be returning soon, because there is so much we haven't done.

Lets just say, it has made a difficult and unwell year, much better. Oh, I almost forgot to mention why the title of this review. I simple sweated so much in the intense heat that I had to have a flannel tucked into my shorts everywhere we went, because after turning up for a meal at one restaurant looking like I had showered in my clothes at the beginning of our holiday, I decided I had to do something. I would add that considering how hot it was in Bali, not one person smelt or looked like I did that night :). Incense everywhere definitely adds to the atmosphere also, which is part of the Hindu culture.

I will wrap this up now, because I could just go on and on about everything. This hotel is the best we have ever stayed at and we had some of the best day trips we have ever had also. From opening and closing car doors for you to a simple greeting at the other restaurant Banyubiru, where we had breakfast most mornings (a definite must also), we can not fault this hotel.

Enjoy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank DSJ1
Dear DSJ1,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for your precious time reviewing our hotel and we really appreciate your recommendation of our resort on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our facilities, resort and services. It is very pleasing to know that our team, especially the Butlers have taken care of you very well and left you with lovely memory.
Allow us to extend this kind message to our team for their motivation and acknowledgement for their hard efforts.

Once again, thank you for residing with us and we do hope your enriching and indigenous experience will lead you back to The Laguna in the near future.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Staying at the Laguna for business, I was happy with the location, the rooms and the service from the bar and restaurant staff.

The day prior to check-out I requested some extra time in my room: I was flying out in the evening, and working all day I wanted to keep the room to freshen up prior to going to the airport. The hotel was obviously way below capacity (at times I was the only guest in sight). I was told this would not be possible without an extra charge. Having already been at the hotel for a number of days, and only needing a few extra hours in a room that wouldn't otherwise be used, I thought this a little unreasonable and I asked to speak to a manager.

I was essentially given the brush-off: you know the standard drill, staff goes into the back room for 30 seconds, returns and says he's spoken to the manager and the answer is still no. Manager doesn't come out and explain it themselves (were they ever really there at all?).

Only after an email to Starwood customer service and the hotel's general manager was the matter resolved. I'm glad it was, but it really shouldn't be that hard.

My recommendation is stay here if you need to, but there are plenty of other hotels in the area where they're much more receptive to their guests needs.

Also, be sure to check your bill carefully: a charge for the three gratis pressings (which I used to have my shirts ironed) appeared on my invoice, and was only removed after I questioned it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CanberraLad
Dear CanberraLad,

Warm wishes from The Laguna, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali!

First of all, I would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences whilst residing at our Resort. We do understand the importance of fulfilling our guest’s expectations and it concerns us greatly that you have departed our shores with such a negative impression.

I am most concerned to know that some of our team failed to give friendly and prompt service and I would like to assure you that this feeling is not an indicative of the normal level of service we are maintaining so far. However I have personally spoken to the department concerned to re-look into these and consequently will share your feedback with their team for improvements. Through constructive feedback of this nature we are able to isolate the finer details in customer and guest satisfaction in order for us to focus our attention on constantly striving to exceed our guest expectations.

In closing we would once again like to apologize for the shortfalls. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our Resort on your next visit to this Paradise Island when you will notice a significant improvement.

Warmest regards,