“Feels in lagoon”

The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Laguna in English is lagoon. The hotel delivers lagoon concept for swimming pools and I think they are success for that. The pool is everywhere of the hotel. They even have pool that is designed like a beach. My room's terrace straight to the swimming pool. Like other hotel in Nusa Dua this hotel also located close to the beach.

Room Tip: Choose room with terrace straight to the swimming pool
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Samuelpas
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Samuelpas,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

It is pleasing to learn that you enjoyed our resort and facilities during your recent stay with us.
The Laguna is one of the leading Resorts in Nusa Dua beach which offer oversized swimming pool and surrounding blue lagoons for utmost satisfaction of our valued guests.

We do hope that your memorable experience will bring you back to The Laguna in the near future.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

"What you see is what you get" applies to his hotel. There are a number of hotels in Bali/Nusa Dua of this category - with the same strengths and weaknesses. Positive: great service, wonderful pool area stretching throughout the hotel garden, clean beach, free wifi, good gym and diverse breakfast. Less positive: price is a bit more than the decent level in Indonesia, the rooms are worn out and offering nothing beyond standard. On the contrary, our room had the dresser and safe in the bathroom. Not exactly a convenient arrangement for three persons.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Kai S

Dear Kai S,

Warm greetings from the Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for your both kind compliment and constructive feedback on our Tripadvisor pages.

Firstly we are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed our facilities and services. It is always pleasing to learn that what we offered has lived up to our guests’ expectation.
In reference to your comments related to the room condition, we apologize for not meeting your standard and are continuously looking for ways to improve the hotel. Feedback of this nature will be used in our evaluation process to decide what needs to be done and where.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at The Laguna Resort & Spa and we do hope that your less than perfect experience will not prevent you from staying at our Resort on your upcoming visit to this Paradise Island.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Where to begin...being overwhelmed by anxiety about this holiday would be a good place to start. When getting to the Airport, I almost bottled out of going to Bali, because I was incredibly apprehensive about travelling so far away from the UK. A flight of plus 27hours for just 2 and half weeks really did create panic. However, I did persevere and place trust in both my husband and belief that the positive reviews for this hotel would be true. I was looking forward to a much needed break away after a very tough few months resulting from illness.

I believe it is important to state the above, because, after what turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable journey to Bali (via a stopover in Singapore) with Singapore Airlines, we were overwhelmed by the sheer luxury and serene beauty of this wonderful hotel. Before I continue, I will also add that we were virgins with Virgin Holidays, so this holiday was a totally new experience from the travel agent, to the airline, to the Island of Bali.

After being picked up from the airport by our private car, we arrived in Nusa Dua and our hotel. There are no words in the English language to describe our initial impression, because both the grounds in Nusa Dua and lead up to the Laguna were incredibly beautiful and well kept. We were speechless, which if you knew us, is a very rare occurrence.

We had read, prior to our visit, some negative comments on here remarking on how tired and run down this hotel was looking. Now, I am one for believing in subjectivity, but I do not know where anyone can get that impression from, because the whole reception area (huge, clean, and very open), welcome drink, cool flannel, and incredibly warm welcome did nothing, but impress us and go beyond our expectations. There was no sign of any "worn down and in need of some restoration" areas at all.

The hotel was just so beautiful and it was like staying in a hotel that was in the middle of the jungle, because of the amount of greenery, lagoons, and pools. Our first night, we ordered room service, which was a little pricey, but nothing more than what we would pay in the UK. The trolley arrived with our selected buffet in excellent time. To our amazement, the trolley was then turned into a dining table for both myself and husband to dine at. Now, we are both quite well travelled, but have never experienced this before, let alone the incredible service from the staff so far.

The beach is at the opposite end of the complex to the reception area and was equally as beautiful, with a walk to left or right. For those who do not like walking in the heat of the sun, or getting sand in their knickers, there is a concrete path you can walk along also :). The beach is not as white as other beaches we have been too, which were in the Caribbean, but it is still beautiful and in keeping with the beauty of both this hotel and Bali.

On both the beach and around the hotel, there were always enough sun loungers for us and no one got up at the gnats-crack of dawn to carefully place their sweaty towel on their selected sun lounger. Towels are provided around the resort and are always in plentiful supply.

We had a lagoon access room, which was very private and enabled us to enjoy a very relaxing bathe in the lagoon at the beginning and end of the day. With a sun-lounger, bar, and towel provider opposite our room, you would think we would have stayed around our room for the duration, but this hotel is so beautiful and with so many different parts, we had to investigate and sunbathe everywhere. We did not see any rain or cloud over our entire stay, which for late October and Early November is rare due to it being the Monsoon season.

The butler service was an incredible asset to the hotel, because they always arrived with our requested items such as coffee, bottles of water (these are free and in plentiful of supply), or an iron. There was a mention on here previously about the butler service being a negative, because there is no kettle provided, but why would you want to get up and boil a kettle, when you can just roll over and ring your butler, enabling you to grab an extra 10 minutes in bed. I should add here that each room has a door bell, so it is almost like a home-from-home.

I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel, because there was not any fault that we could find at all. The staff are the biggest asset to this hotel, because they are so helpful, welcoming, and accepting of a completely different culture. Despite being a same-sex couple and having experienced some homophobia and discrimination in other places, this hotel (and in fact everyone we came into contact with around the whole of Bali) treated us the same as everyone else, which is all we ask for. The manners and service that are delivered across the whole of Bali could really teach a lot of businesses back in the UK a lesson or two.

I would like to mention we usually make use of a spa when away and this was no exception, especially as everywhere you go in Bali, someone wants to get their hands on your body. We ended up having four, two of which were at the hotel spa. This spa was amazing and we opted for an outdoor Balinese massage, but were eaten alive by mosquitoes, which you do expect in a country like this, but it reduced the enjoyment of the massage, because every so often the masseuse would stop and slap you. We made a passing comment about this, but nothing more than a comment, because the time of day we had this massage and location meant it was to be expected really. We were given a free meal at the on-the-beach Arwana restaurant (we were staying bed and breakfast) and another indoor Balinese massage to compensate for our discomfort. This was well above anything we expected, because we did not even complain about it.

I will now mention about the restaurants. We had chosen not to eat at the hotel due to the prices for the evening meals in comparison to the near-by Bali Collection, which was often 75% cheaper than the hotel. However, the prices at the hotel were what you would expect to pay in the UK for a similar meal. Besides, considering you have travelled half way around the world, why would you want to stay in the same place to eat, when you can go out and explore. If you are going to eat at the hotel, you must try the Arwana, where you can dine on the beach. As mentioned previously, we were given a free meal here. Our table was on the beach, where we were able to experience a lunar eclipse, along with incredible food and 6-star service. That was one of our best nights ever and not because it was free as we did have to pay for the wine we had. The Arwana is a seafood restaurant, but do offer vegetarian, which meant that I did not starve that night. The food quality was equal to the incredible service of the staff...thank you to all the staff that night who made it so special for us.

We did so much around Bali and I could just go on about this hotel and our experience, but if you are considering a trip to Bali and want a hotel to stay in, this is it. It is excellent value for money and offers you more than you could ever want and expect. OK, if you are wanting an action packed holiday with bungee jumping and surfing, this hotel and Nusa Dua is not for you. Though it is only a short Taxi ride to the resort of Kuta if you are wanting more action. Kuta was also beautiful, but right next to the airport, so unless you are a keen plane spotter, you might not want to stay in Kuta.

We hired a private driver to do our trips around Bali and he was more than excellent. He was well versed in everything and every recommendation he suggested for where to go and what to see was in keeping with our interests and what we had told him we would like to see and do. We hired him for a couple of days and he was very reasonable in price, providing as much water as we could drink in an air conditioned car, which was needed in temps of 37+ and humidity of 95+.

On the subject of drivers, although the bluebird taxi's are recommended as the safest option to get around, be careful, because we were taken to an alternative destination that we stated and ended up being stranded, with a very long walk. It opened our eyes and taught us to not be so complacent in other countries, but did not ruin anything.

Overall, we cannot speak highly enough about the whole holiday. Virgin Holidays fulfilled their contract with their Rockstar Service. Singapore Airlines were the best we have travelled with so far. Singapore is a must see, and well what more can I say to give you an idea of where to stay in Bali. This hotel is a must-stay at one. We will be returning soon, because there is so much we haven't done.

Lets just say, it has made a difficult and unwell year, much better. Oh, I almost forgot to mention why the title of this review. I simple sweated so much in the intense heat that I had to have a flannel tucked into my shorts everywhere we went, because after turning up for a meal at one restaurant looking like I had showered in my clothes at the beginning of our holiday, I decided I had to do something. I would add that considering how hot it was in Bali, not one person smelt or looked like I did that night :). Incense everywhere definitely adds to the atmosphere also, which is part of the Hindu culture.

I will wrap this up now, because I could just go on and on about everything. This hotel is the best we have ever stayed at and we had some of the best day trips we have ever had also. From opening and closing car doors for you to a simple greeting at the other restaurant Banyubiru, where we had breakfast most mornings (a definite must also), we can not fault this hotel.

Enjoy.

6  Thank DSJ1

Dear DSJ1,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for your precious time reviewing our hotel and we really appreciate your recommendation of our resort on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our facilities, resort and services. It is very pleasing to know that our team, especially the Butlers have taken care of you very well and left you with lovely memory.
Allow us to extend this kind message to our team for their motivation and acknowledgement for their hard efforts.

Once again, thank you for residing with us and we do hope your enriching and indigenous experience will lead you back to The Laguna in the near future.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Staying at the Laguna for business, I was happy with the location, the rooms and the service from the bar and restaurant staff.

The day prior to check-out I requested some extra time in my room: I was flying out in the evening, and working all day I wanted to keep the room to freshen up prior to going to the airport. The hotel was obviously way below capacity (at times I was the only guest in sight). I was told this would not be possible without an extra charge. Having already been at the hotel for a number of days, and only needing a few extra hours in a room that wouldn't otherwise be used, I thought this a little unreasonable and I asked to speak to a manager.

I was essentially given the brush-off: you know the standard drill, staff goes into the back room for 30 seconds, returns and says he's spoken to the manager and the answer is still no. Manager doesn't come out and explain it themselves (were they ever really there at all?).

Only after an email to Starwood customer service and the hotel's general manager was the matter resolved. I'm glad it was, but it really shouldn't be that hard.

My recommendation is stay here if you need to, but there are plenty of other hotels in the area where they're much more receptive to their guests needs.

Also, be sure to check your bill carefully: a charge for the three gratis pressings (which I used to have my shirts ironed) appeared on my invoice, and was only removed after I questioned it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank CanberraLad

Dear CanberraLad,

Warm wishes from The Laguna, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali!

First of all, I would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences whilst residing at our Resort. We do understand the importance of fulfilling our guest’s expectations and it concerns us greatly that you have departed our shores with such a negative impression.

I am most concerned to know that some of our team failed to give friendly and prompt service and I would like to assure you that this feeling is not an indicative of the normal level of service we are maintaining so far. However I have personally spoken to the department concerned to re-look into these and consequently will share your feedback with their team for improvements. Through constructive feedback of this nature we are able to isolate the finer details in customer and guest satisfaction in order for us to focus our attention on constantly striving to exceed our guest expectations.

In closing we would once again like to apologize for the shortfalls. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our Resort on your next visit to this Paradise Island when you will notice a significant improvement.

Warmest regards,

Mark van Leeuwen
Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 13, 2012

First thing to say about this hotel is it is definately 5 star. When i first went to Bali in 1995 it was the place to stay and is still absolutely beautiful and the staff are absolutely fantastic. Not once did we encounter a single surly person, everyone had learnt our names by the time that our 13 days came to an end and all were interested and concerned to ensure that we were having a great time. Dos are: pay extra for a lagoon access room if you can, they are great. Do have the moonlight massage in a private cabana, the spa is brand new and treatments great but the actual spa is a bit clinical and souless. The new gym is great if you want to use it. Do get the hotel to arrange VIP airport immigration when you arrive, $35 per head is well spent and the hotel transport (at extra cost) is another good option. Ngurah Rai airport is chaos and when you are tired pay the money and get through as quick as poss. One word of caution, do watch out becasue the President of Indonesia likes this hotel and he stayed for 3 days whilst we were here. The security and disruption were disappointing, although to the hotels credit everything continued to perform despite the reduced guest occupancy level. Thats 3 times in 4 months that he has stayed, you may wish to avoid the hotel if he is there. Other than that you will have a great time here and its just a short walk to the bali Collection shopping centre for a great choice of outside eateries. Do take Sunday lunch at Boneka restuarant at the St regis, free cocktails in the piano bar from 11am- 12pm and then all you can eat buffet from 12pm-3pm, all for £34 each- fantastic, but book several weeks in advance its popular, just e-mail to book.

Room Tip: Laggon acces rooms are well worth the extra money
2  Thank Alan M

Dear Alan M,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Firstly we would like to thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts on your recent stay with us.
It is pleasing to learn that what we offer has met your expectation and that you enjoyed our Balinese hospitality.

We are also happy to hear that enjoyed your Lagoon Access Room which provides a direct access to our beautiful lagoons from your balcony. This gives our valued guests a feeling that they stay in their own private island with a perfect and safe swimming condition at our lagoon.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience during the President’s visit and we really appreciate your kind understanding of the situation.

We do hope that your wonderful experience will bring you back to our Resort in the near future.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at Laguna Resort for our honeymoon and had a fantastic time. The resort is absolutely breathtaking with great pools and your own lagoon at your disposal.The rooms are luxurious with a great jacuzzi plunge bath, really comfortable beds and your own private balcony to enjoy a glass of wine at night. The butler service is a nice 5 star touch and can honestly say that we ordered numerous latte's and teas in the room with a very friendly member of staff always on hand.

We ate breakfast every morning at the Banyubiru restaurant and the selection of food to choose from was great and tended to last you most of the day as it is a buffet. The slight negative is the slowness of the staff to clear away the plates / cups depending on where you are sitting in the restaurant (they were extremely quick if you sat outside and extremely slow if you sat inside). The pools are absolutely spotless and well designed so that you never feel on top of anyone. We would recommend getting up in the morning for some stunning sunrises!! If you want to enjoy a great sunset in Bali i would also speak to the concierge to book you a taxi to Dreamland. After our sunset experience we got dropped off at Bumbu Bali restaurant which is also a definite must do in Nusa Dua - fantastic food and great atmosphere!!

For anyone newly married a definite must is to speak to the Arwana staff to organise a romantic meal for 2 on the beach. Whilst it is a bit pricey, having your own private waiter, a 7 course meal and a wonderful flower arrangement with candlelabras it is unforgettable and your new wife will feel like a princess!!

We also enjoyed some cocktails at the kulkul bar for happy hour. A suggestion for the hotel and bar would be to extend the half price deal early on in the evening for at least an hour longer as the cocktails are quite expensive for most or reduce the prices as to pay 10 british pounds equivalent for a cocktail is expensive.

One thing that annoyed us was some of the pricing of things which we think needs to get seriously looked at. The wine prices are absolutely laughable and so unaffordable for most staying at the hotel. We'd read this on previous reviews and stocked up on some bubbly at duty free. Also the cost of a can of diet coke being $5.70 US dollars the same as a beer is also ridiculous. The two other things that did leave a sour taste in the mouth was having to rent a bike from the spa for $8 US dollars each for an hour and also paying $30 US dollars to rent a special bed overlooking the beach for the day was also a bit much!! You would expect when paying so much for the hotel that things like this would be included.

Overall this hotel is definitely a 5 star experience with great staff, and we are planning on returning for our 5 or 10 year anniversary !!!

Tim & Eleri Satow

1  Thank Tim S
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Tim & Eleri Satow,

Warmest Greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We are glad to read your favorable review regarding our Resort, grounds and the team. Your positive feedback is in line with the surrounding reviews and we are really proud that we have contributed in some small way to making your experience with us a flawless one.

To reply on the comments about the price of our Food & Beverage items, our pricing structures are in line amongst the other similar five star establishments nearby and very obvious that it can not be compared with local shops and restaurants in Bali Collection. However, we have personally spoken to our Director of Food & Beverage and the Executive Chef to review further. Additionally, please be informed that our price is inclusive of 21% tax and service charge, while any other establishment displays their prices exclusive of these charges and add these to your final bill.

We do hope that we still leave you with a good impression and look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort in the near future.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few years back, and it was a so-so experience. When my friend decided to have a wedding in Bali last October, and with all the rave reviews of this hotel, I had decided to give it another try. I made 2 separate reservation last August, the 1st night using my spg reward redemption and the 2nd night paying full amount for a studio-corner room with lagoon view, which was confirmed by email. by the time I arrived at the hotel, I was given a standard room on 2nd floor with garden and waterfall view, which I couldn't complain because of spg's redemption slogan, "if a standard room is available, it's yours. However, the room was outdated, there was also yellow/rust stained in the toilet, and crack in the sink.

On the 2nd day when I was supposed to move to studio room with lagoon view, I was told all the corner-studio room with lagoon view was full and was given a studio room (room 110) on 1st floor overlooking garden and pathway. This was a big disappointment because I made the booking 3 months before my arrival and there was not any notification, or whatsoever, about the change on my booked room. And also, I did not have time to complained about the room because my fiancée had a make up appointment, so I just had to accept the room. Although, the room was bigger and had better furnishing, the location of the room on 1st floor and close to pathway (less privacy), makes it worse than my previous room.

To make my trip even worse, upon my return from the trip, I noticed that my credit card was double charged for the 2nd night. When I emailed them, asking about the double charge, they simply replied that there was a glitch in the system, and was double charged when I used my card dining at their restaurant. It would be fine by me if they admitted that they made a mistake by double charging my room and take care of it. However, they were simply lying due to the fact that the double charged was made 2 days prior my arrival, and my restaurant charge only happened on the night of my arrival.

This experience had assured me not to go back in future. Nevertheless, I did use their spa facility and would highly recommend it, in fact, I decided to give 2 stars because of the spa.

Room Tip: Avoid corner room on 1st floor, pathway is very closed to bedroom and only a hop away from balcony
3  Thank Mhardyggu