“A few extra hours in an empty hotel shouldn't be that hard”

The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Staying at the Laguna for business, I was happy with the location, the rooms and the service from the bar and restaurant staff.

The day prior to check-out I requested some extra time in my room: I was flying out in the evening, and working all day I wanted to keep the room to freshen up prior to going to the airport. The hotel was obviously way below capacity (at times I was the only guest in sight). I was told this would not be possible without an extra charge. Having already been at the hotel for a number of days, and only needing a few extra hours in a room that wouldn't otherwise be used, I thought this a little unreasonable and I asked to speak to a manager.

I was essentially given the brush-off: you know the standard drill, staff goes into the back room for 30 seconds, returns and says he's spoken to the manager and the answer is still no. Manager doesn't come out and explain it themselves (were they ever really there at all?).

Only after an email to Starwood customer service and the hotel's general manager was the matter resolved. I'm glad it was, but it really shouldn't be that hard.

My recommendation is stay here if you need to, but there are plenty of other hotels in the area where they're much more receptive to their guests needs.

Also, be sure to check your bill carefully: a charge for the three gratis pressings (which I used to have my shirts ironed) appeared on my invoice, and was only removed after I questioned it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank CanberraLad
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear CanberraLad,

Warm wishes from The Laguna, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali!

First of all, I would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences whilst residing at our Resort. We do understand the importance of fulfilling our guest’s expectations and it concerns us greatly that you have departed our shores with such a negative impression.

I am most concerned to know that some of our team failed to give friendly and prompt service and I would like to assure you that this feeling is not an indicative of the normal level of service we are maintaining so far. However I have personally spoken to the department concerned to re-look into these and consequently will share your feedback with their team for improvements. Through constructive feedback of this nature we are able to isolate the finer details in customer and guest satisfaction in order for us to focus our attention on constantly striving to exceed our guest expectations.

In closing we would once again like to apologize for the shortfalls. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our Resort on your next visit to this Paradise Island when you will notice a significant improvement.

Warmest regards,

Mark van Leeuwen
Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 13, 2012

First thing to say about this hotel is it is definately 5 star. When i first went to Bali in 1995 it was the place to stay and is still absolutely beautiful and the staff are absolutely fantastic. Not once did we encounter a single surly person, everyone had learnt our names by the time that our 13 days came to an end and all were interested and concerned to ensure that we were having a great time. Dos are: pay extra for a lagoon access room if you can, they are great. Do have the moonlight massage in a private cabana, the spa is brand new and treatments great but the actual spa is a bit clinical and souless. The new gym is great if you want to use it. Do get the hotel to arrange VIP airport immigration when you arrive, $35 per head is well spent and the hotel transport (at extra cost) is another good option. Ngurah Rai airport is chaos and when you are tired pay the money and get through as quick as poss. One word of caution, do watch out becasue the President of Indonesia likes this hotel and he stayed for 3 days whilst we were here. The security and disruption were disappointing, although to the hotels credit everything continued to perform despite the reduced guest occupancy level. Thats 3 times in 4 months that he has stayed, you may wish to avoid the hotel if he is there. Other than that you will have a great time here and its just a short walk to the bali Collection shopping centre for a great choice of outside eateries. Do take Sunday lunch at Boneka restuarant at the St regis, free cocktails in the piano bar from 11am- 12pm and then all you can eat buffet from 12pm-3pm, all for £34 each- fantastic, but book several weeks in advance its popular, just e-mail to book.

Room Tip: Laggon acces rooms are well worth the extra money
2  Thank Alan M

Dear Alan M,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Firstly we would like to thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts on your recent stay with us.
It is pleasing to learn that what we offer has met your expectation and that you enjoyed our Balinese hospitality.

We are also happy to hear that enjoyed your Lagoon Access Room which provides a direct access to our beautiful lagoons from your balcony. This gives our valued guests a feeling that they stay in their own private island with a perfect and safe swimming condition at our lagoon.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience during the President’s visit and we really appreciate your kind understanding of the situation.

We do hope that your wonderful experience will bring you back to our Resort in the near future.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at Laguna Resort for our honeymoon and had a fantastic time. The resort is absolutely breathtaking with great pools and your own lagoon at your disposal.The rooms are luxurious with a great jacuzzi plunge bath, really comfortable beds and your own private balcony to enjoy a glass of wine at night. The butler service is a nice 5 star touch and can honestly say that we ordered numerous latte's and teas in the room with a very friendly member of staff always on hand.

We ate breakfast every morning at the Banyubiru restaurant and the selection of food to choose from was great and tended to last you most of the day as it is a buffet. The slight negative is the slowness of the staff to clear away the plates / cups depending on where you are sitting in the restaurant (they were extremely quick if you sat outside and extremely slow if you sat inside). The pools are absolutely spotless and well designed so that you never feel on top of anyone. We would recommend getting up in the morning for some stunning sunrises!! If you want to enjoy a great sunset in Bali i would also speak to the concierge to book you a taxi to Dreamland. After our sunset experience we got dropped off at Bumbu Bali restaurant which is also a definite must do in Nusa Dua - fantastic food and great atmosphere!!

For anyone newly married a definite must is to speak to the Arwana staff to organise a romantic meal for 2 on the beach. Whilst it is a bit pricey, having your own private waiter, a 7 course meal and a wonderful flower arrangement with candlelabras it is unforgettable and your new wife will feel like a princess!!

We also enjoyed some cocktails at the kulkul bar for happy hour. A suggestion for the hotel and bar would be to extend the half price deal early on in the evening for at least an hour longer as the cocktails are quite expensive for most or reduce the prices as to pay 10 british pounds equivalent for a cocktail is expensive.

One thing that annoyed us was some of the pricing of things which we think needs to get seriously looked at. The wine prices are absolutely laughable and so unaffordable for most staying at the hotel. We'd read this on previous reviews and stocked up on some bubbly at duty free. Also the cost of a can of diet coke being $5.70 US dollars the same as a beer is also ridiculous. The two other things that did leave a sour taste in the mouth was having to rent a bike from the spa for $8 US dollars each for an hour and also paying $30 US dollars to rent a special bed overlooking the beach for the day was also a bit much!! You would expect when paying so much for the hotel that things like this would be included.

Overall this hotel is definitely a 5 star experience with great staff, and we are planning on returning for our 5 or 10 year anniversary !!!

Tim & Eleri Satow

1  Thank Tim S
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Tim & Eleri Satow,

Warmest Greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We are glad to read your favorable review regarding our Resort, grounds and the team. Your positive feedback is in line with the surrounding reviews and we are really proud that we have contributed in some small way to making your experience with us a flawless one.

To reply on the comments about the price of our Food & Beverage items, our pricing structures are in line amongst the other similar five star establishments nearby and very obvious that it can not be compared with local shops and restaurants in Bali Collection. However, we have personally spoken to our Director of Food & Beverage and the Executive Chef to review further. Additionally, please be informed that our price is inclusive of 21% tax and service charge, while any other establishment displays their prices exclusive of these charges and add these to your final bill.

We do hope that we still leave you with a good impression and look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort in the near future.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few years back, and it was a so-so experience. When my friend decided to have a wedding in Bali last October, and with all the rave reviews of this hotel, I had decided to give it another try. I made 2 separate reservation last August, the 1st night using my spg reward redemption and the 2nd night paying full amount for a studio-corner room with lagoon view, which was confirmed by email. by the time I arrived at the hotel, I was given a standard room on 2nd floor with garden and waterfall view, which I couldn't complain because of spg's redemption slogan, "if a standard room is available, it's yours. However, the room was outdated, there was also yellow/rust stained in the toilet, and crack in the sink.

On the 2nd day when I was supposed to move to studio room with lagoon view, I was told all the corner-studio room with lagoon view was full and was given a studio room (room 110) on 1st floor overlooking garden and pathway. This was a big disappointment because I made the booking 3 months before my arrival and there was not any notification, or whatsoever, about the change on my booked room. And also, I did not have time to complained about the room because my fiancée had a make up appointment, so I just had to accept the room. Although, the room was bigger and had better furnishing, the location of the room on 1st floor and close to pathway (less privacy), makes it worse than my previous room.

To make my trip even worse, upon my return from the trip, I noticed that my credit card was double charged for the 2nd night. When I emailed them, asking about the double charge, they simply replied that there was a glitch in the system, and was double charged when I used my card dining at their restaurant. It would be fine by me if they admitted that they made a mistake by double charging my room and take care of it. However, they were simply lying due to the fact that the double charged was made 2 days prior my arrival, and my restaurant charge only happened on the night of my arrival.

This experience had assured me not to go back in future. Nevertheless, I did use their spa facility and would highly recommend it, in fact, I decided to give 2 stars because of the spa.

Room Tip: Avoid corner room on 1st floor, pathway is very closed to bedroom and only a hop away from balcony
3  Thank Mhardyggu
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This resort worked out nicely for our family (two adults + kids 2.5 yrs and 5 yrs).
Excellent service, beautiful beach in a lagoon which made it very good for kids, lots of pools, two nice restaurants and a small shopping mall close by.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ode2802

Dear ode 2802,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for your recent stay and reviewing our resort.
It is always pleasing to learn that our team has taken care of you well and created an exceptional experience for you.

We do hope that your wonderful memories with us will bring you back to our Resort in the near future.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Laguna is being touted as having the best pools in Nusa Dua... this seemed to be true... the pool areas were huge and they snake around the resort...some rooms have private lagoons...This is NOT 5 star : rooms are NOT luxurious but perfect for families. Clean and well equipped. It's a good family resort. Breakfast was buffet and plentiful. Room service very reasonable charges, even massage by the pool was very reasonable. Nice stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Trinityperth

Dear Trinityperth

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

It is our pleasure to receive such a positive feedback and learn that you enjoyed our facilities and services.

With the best Nusa Dua’s beach and our beautiful lagoons, our Resort is indeed a perfect place to those who want to stay within relaxing and peaceful environment with high security level.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope to welcome you back to our Resort on your next visit to this Paradise Island.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have just enjoyed a very relaxing stay of 8 days at The Laguna Beach. This was our second visit to The Laguna and will return again next year as we like the quiet peaceful atmosphere there. The gardens are beautiful, the lagoons and main pool so clean and crystal clear. All the staff are so friendly and helpful. We had a lovely room on the 4th floor overlooking the lagoons and main pool, fabulous view. We only ate at The Laguna restaurants and enjoyed a variety of delicious foods. A must try is the new Spa for some wonderful treatments. Special thanks to Meli who looked after us so well. Wonderful resort which we recommend highly.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer S

Dear Jennifer S,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for your comments, thoughts and recommending our Resort on trip advisor.

It is very pleasing to create amazing memories for our valued guests. We are delighted to receive such compliment on our resort, grounds, restaurant and services and will extend your message to our team especially Meli as acknowledgement of their hard effort.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.