“A pleasant stay with modest pricing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of J Boutique Hotel

J Boutique Hotel
Ranked #92 of 224 Hotels in Kuta
Singapore
“A pleasant stay with modest pricing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

A 10 minute taxi ride from the airport. Recently re-furbished. No fuss assistance at check-in with a sweet welcome drink which I did not fancy. 300,000 IRD deposit in case you use the mini-bar, this was promptly returned at check-out, but do keep the receipt safely.
The room is generally clean, and the lights worked, so did the safe.

But there were some misses - I suspect the bed is not 'memory foam', the horizontal bars for the towels had some stains, water temperature control in the shower is dodgy at times, the shampoo bottle is half-empty and I suspect they didn't clear that out following the last user of the room, the drawers in the closet appeared old (I live out of my luggage mostly). The towels have a scent of coconuts and I think those are from the massage spa oils - they do remain in it despite the laundry. There is not much of a view out of the window - street and low houses. The aircon wasn't in the best condition, it only kept the room cool but still not cool enough in my opinion despite setting it at 16 deg!

The room was quiet at night. Service at the BF is quick. The BF spread is reasonable with porridge, sausages and eggs to keep me happy. BF do start rather late at 7am. People in the hotel are friendly and at the 3rd level, I didn't hear much hard partying sounds. They set up a DVD player free of charge in my room when I requested it. It is located near to restaurants and minimarts nearby, but a main mall called 'Discovery' Centro is about 10 mins walk away.

All in all, OK for me, but my partner if she had come along, would have expected more. You might want to consider this hotel for Kuta.

Room Tip: Higher floor, non smoking. Rooms not facing the main road might be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Indonesian first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

our small group stayed at this hotel as one of us had a very late arrival. before heading up to another part of bali. the hotel lobby looked much better than our rooms. we were disappointed to see that the bathrooms weren't anywhere close to the pictures. they were clean, yes. but our expectations weren't met as the bathrooms didn't even match the guest room, or even the hotel lobby feel. we enjoyed the rooftop pool. and the breakfast was standard fare. the service was cordial and helpful. and it was very very close to the airport (which was very nice, especially when one of us arrived at 1:00 am). would we return? probably not (unless they do actually post pictures of what we could expect - especially the bathrooms. not pictures of bathrooms in upgraded or more expensive rooms). thus a "3" overall rating for what we'd call "exaggerated" advertising or impression, which had caused unnecessary disappointment.

Room Tip: get an upgraded room if possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank d240i
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Ants in the bed... Bad bad mattress this hotel was reburbushed with cheap materials, rooms are ramshackled... Rooftop pool good view dirty towels cushions are dirty , hot tub( not hot) is dirty with grit and stains.
Downstairs bar is ok lots of traffic, breakfast is ok... Kuta is busy and has seen its best days... This hotel is to be avoided unless your on Valium double dose... We checked out after one night although booked for 4 and the manager was cool about it( they know the hotel is fatigued) went to Seminyak ... Much much better there.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Marc P

Travelers are raving about these Kuta hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We were traveling on our way to Lombok and arrived into Bali at midnight. As we were departing again at 10 am the next morning we did not want to spend a lot of money on a room. The hotel was $US 79 for the night and included breakfast.

The hotel is close to the airport and arranged complimentary transfers to and from the airport. Unfortunately they did not tell us about the transfers and so when we arrived we caught a taxi but we made use of the transfer when we left.

The hotel is old but has been renovated and, for the amount we paid, represented good value for the limited time we needed a room. The renovation has had some thought put into it and is a shabby chic look.

The breakfast was okay, again for the price of the room we did not expect a lot.

We would stay again if we were transitting through Bali.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MandA6468
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I went there 25-28 August 2012. It only takes 10minutes from Ngurah Rai airport. To Kuta beach is 20-30minutes by walkong. To shops in Jl. Legian is also 20-30minutes by walk. In front of the hotel there is circle K and small dimsum shop, but the hotel also provide beer and drink in hotel area. There is Discovery mall in 10minutes walk to the left. Taxis passing by a lot.

So far Im really satisfied with the room, the swimming pool (at the roof top is really beautiful to stay there at night or in the morning, the spa is also gooood! But my room in 312 is facing a wall so no sunlight came in.

The thing I noticed was the process of checking took a bit long time. I didnt know why or maybe because I reserved it via asianroom.com so they had to proceed it first.

Love staying there. Will count it as a hotel I would like to stay again next time in Bali!

• Stayed August 2012
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My sister in law and I stayed here in Feb for 6 nights in a twin share. The hotel is a bit tired, even with the "renovation". Lumpy lino on the floor in our room and the bathroom was pretty average. The breakfast was also average, in terms of selection and quality. We enjoyed the rooftop pool. It was clean and had good views but was lacking shade for most of the day, with only a couple of sun lounges with shade overhead. We had a nice spa treatment one evening, some coconut wrap or something and it was reasonably priced. It was quite a walk to Kuta, say 1.5km and we never knew there was a shuttle service. However, we knew we were not going to be at the hotel very much, really only to sleep and for the price we paid, we couldn't complain.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LeeLou64
Odense
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel for my last days in Bali and was very disapointed. It is nice in the lobby bu when you go to the rooms, things get worse. It may be renovated but it still feels outdated and worn down. I feel I was tricked. For same price I could have gotten room at Sun Islands.

Rooms do not have memory foam unlike they claim in description on hotels.com. First I got room 266, which has windows to the terrace of their cafe probably (did not seem open at a time), that is if you have curtains open you cannot have any privacy, because there will be people sitting and drinking right behind your window. Bathroom light was out, so it felt like dungeon. So I would suggest you avoid this room.

After coimplaining I got room 326 which had better layout, but still no memory foam matrace! View out to the street which is noisy, window isolation is absent. It is not even a window that opens!

Roof pool used to be nice, I mean it! Cabana's cushioning dirty and broke. The smaller pool had broke tiles. Floor in pool area needs polish.

Such a shame I am stuck in this hotel for the rest of my holiday. Have not yet had breakfast, but mymexpectations are below 0. Probably the only good thing is the Internet in the room (made this review possible). I am never returning to this hotel after my holiday is done.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple