“Hotel is like a fast food restaurant (in a bad way)”

Febri's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 252 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The hotel reception is a small counter located at the restaurant, and the layout of the restaurant appears similar to the tuckshop of a school. There are serious issues with mosquitoes and flies, despite efforts by the hotel to fog the compound, the problem persisted throughout my 5 days stay.

It could be the hotel or the location, Febris seem to attract a young clientale. Do expect to be kept up late by noisy youngsters if you are staying at this hotel. To cater to this young crowd, are the many signs around to brief guests how to behave at the pools, or what should, or should not be placed into the bread toaster.

The only thing I liked about this hotel is the location.

(Do rate my review if you find it helpful)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Thumb_ranger
greenbali, General Manager at Febri's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear thumb_ranger of sg

Thanks for your rescent stay at the Febri's and taking time to review the hotel. Your feedback certainly helps us to identify the actual problems from guests perspective and I'd like to apologise for the inconvenience you had.

An extremely high humidity with warm temperature is always present during the transition period from dry season to wet season and this is remarkably felt in November - December around coastal areas such as Kuta Beach. The lower altitude we are located, more insects such as mosquitos & flies are apparently becoming more of a dilemma especially in the manggo season. Hence, with regret, such unpleasant issues are commonly experienced by travellers in beach-destination hotels unless you are in the confined air-conditioner rooms. Because most public areas at Febri's are open air, daily fogging and spray are conducted in the morning and evening around the hotel premises in the efforts to keep the insects away. These efforts do not eliminate them entirely but reduce the issues at the very least in the transition period.

There are always many independent young travellers in Bali from November to mid December - so called "schoolies and toolies" - in their late teens and early twenties. Apparently they come to Bali after high school finishes while air tickets are cheap. Although Febri's is well known as a family hotel (so are most other hotels along Jalan Kartika Plaza), there unfortunately stayed around here during your stay. They don't usually stay at this area but around Legian and central Kuta where the night activities are located. During their stay, the hotel management took quite serious measures to make them behave appropriately. In your future stay with us, any time you hear their noise at late night, please feel free to dial 0 from your room phone; our Security will be more than happy to come & assist you.

On behalf of all the staff & management, I wish you a great new year ahead and hope that Febri's will be chosen on your next Bali holiday again. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly before firming your accommodation for information in details. Again, many thanks for your rescent stay.

Paulus Wibowo

Reviewed December 11, 2012

had a great stay at the febris with family and friends.all the staff were very friendly and helpful.the pool area and gardens were kept clean and tidy.we stayed in a quad room which was very spacious with a big bathroom. the breakfast was good as was the food in the restaurant.would reccomend this hotel.we definately will be back next year

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank juliep755
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have stayed at the Febris 5 times now and just love it. The atmosphere from the staff is fantastic and really make you feel welcome. We have 3 kids and we know staying here they are always happy.The staff are truly a credit to the owners and when I say staff I dont just mean the waiters and spa ladies ( oh and popo) I mean the cleaning staff as well, Juli, Dedik and Indra were just great. The kids would request different towel animals and too their amazement when we arrived back in the room their they were (their requests) alid out on the bed with so much thought gone into them. Putra the gardener is just so friendly and always happy to help. Would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Bali.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank linda t
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Had a lovely stay with friends and family at the Febris. Rooms were cool and clean, all basic amenities included. Some rooms have the shower over the bath which can get slippery but all good.
Service was great and some fun waiters! ask for Bro! Makes an awsome cocktail!

Situated about a km from the discovery centre. They have the best spa and massage facilities and do a great job... would highly recommend the few extra dollars as the experience is beautiful and sooo relaxing :). Just across the road from the sea and beaches.. just a short walk through the Dynasty hotel.
The food is scrummy, clean kitchens and do the best gado gado!
Would definately go back with family and friends as it accomodates larger groups well in this resort. Great main pool, many happy hours spent cooling off. Lovely relaxing stay with no hassles. recommend :):):)

Room Tip: All rooms centrally located to the main pool with lift access so not to far to walk in your wet bath...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank deb069
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here in 2009 and enloyed our stay but this trip we ate at the restaurant twice. Food is good, cooked to my liking and the prices are good. Thoroughly reccomend this restaurant to all who are looking for good food and good prices
Honestpete

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We had a stay of 5 nights at Bali. As the first 4 days we had booked leisure hotels throughout Bali, we decided to book a budget accommodation for the last night with still good reviews. Now when I read the reviews, it is as if I am reading about a totally other hotel. Because the reviews are not at all reflecting what we have gone all through.
We arrived there late in the afternoon and found out that in fact the entrance of the hotel was in the middle of the restaurant. Nobody came to help with the luggage what in fact is no problem at all. When I went with the booking confirmation of the online booking agent to the quite small reception on the left handside, I was received by a sour looking receptionist (zero smile) who was looking as if she could use some more training about behaviour in the hospitality industry. We made the reservation of 2 standard rooms with the possibility of an extra bed in each room. As we were with 2 children of 11 years we asked them about the extra beds. They said that if the children would have been 10 years, no extra bed was needed, they could have used the existing bedding. But now that they were 11 years, we had to pay 30 USD for each child and they would place the extra bed. As for a Budget accommodation we had not expected this huge cost (60 USD for 2 extra beds in small standard rooms which were altogether more expensive than 1 standard room), we requested if we could use the existing bedding and pay partly. That was not possible. In that case I said to them I would like to be restituted, so that I could book somewhere else. For that I had to contact my online agent. Finally I asked them if I could speak the manager. That was possible, but I had to wait. After half an hour he came with a fake smile pasted on his face. After a few minutes explaining, he said that these are the rules of the contract and he is not going to lower even 1 USD in the price of the extra beds in his standard rooms. In that case, I said to him, we will stay with 4 persons in the 2 rooms we booked and 2 other persons will go to another hotel (we did not want to get ripped by them by paying them the money they asked).
The manager was a bit dignified when I said that I did not want any further discussions and he walked to another group with a baby sitting nearby, saying loudly that even the baby in that group was registered while making the reservation. I was highly surprised by this uncommon and inhuman attitude and really had the feeling as if I was in an isolated area with communist rules, totally unlike Bali and unlike what is common in hotels where guest relations are supposed to be very important. I do not know what type of people are managing this hotel, but I was amazed that guests could be openly insulted like this. Everybody knows that in a hotel, the business is 100% people orientated. So why putting staff who are looking like robots and talking like robots, who do not show any creativity in solving problems. This is not the way to approach human beings with feelings. What I also found strange: the swimming pool was just beside the public restaurant and even all people passing on the busy street could see the guests having a swim in the swimming pool of the hotel, no privacy at all.
Anyway, we got our rooms on the 2nd floor in a corner. No lift, so my 72 year old mother had to take steep stairs to come in a small room with hardly space to walk (maybe we should not be astonished as robot like creatures don’t have feelings so such insensitivity can be expected). While looking at the room, I tried to figure out where they had planned to put the extra bed. The room had no atmosphere except for cheap Chinese tiles, dirty plastic chairs on a small dusty balcony. No internet though it was supposed to be included. And the worse thing was, from the balcony we were looking directly on a construction site making huge noise. All this mixed with the unwelcome feeling that we had, we decided to go back to our previous hotel in Kuta where they knew how to value guests.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Sarita D
greenbali, General Manager at Febri's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear Mrs Sarita D of Mauritius

I was quite perplexed to read through your review in this forum as it was so mistakenly written. Without being defensive for the hotel staff, although they are paid to serve, I always believe that respects should come both ways. Unfortunately you expect the hotel staff to keep bowing down to you after all your rude & harsh words of despise in the public.

Your booking was made for 2 rooms with 2 persons in each room. However, you turned up as 6 persons (as none of your children were reported in your booking). Your booking was still honored upon your arrival but the hotel receptionist simply informed you that an extra charge must be applied for the 3rd person for each room because the room rate you paid for was only for 2 persons per room. You were unhappy when the receptionist did not fulfill your bargain request for the extra charge. Although Febri's is a family hotel, anyone from 10 years and older must have a bed (this is a general regulation as outlined by your online agent and in the hotel's official site). $30 for an extra bed with full buffet breakfast is indeed a fair price for an international hotel of this standard in Bali.

From the CCTV + voice recordings at the front desk, you threatened the receptionist (then me) for putting bad reviews in internet because the hotel could not meet your bargain request. Even your husband said that he could not control you when you were making a scene to other guests in the lobby bad-mouthing the hotel. As a hotel manager, I was simply trying to calm you down and at the same time apologized to the guests for your behaviors and explained how you became unhappy about the extra charge.

Being the lowest room rate in the hotel, our Standard Rooms do not have any lift access like the other room types. Its room size is also smaller as compared to the other room types. This has been explained by your online agent and in the hotel's official site. I wonder why you booked for this room type for your 72 year old mother in the first place. After checking your booking details, I became more perplexed to learn that you never informed the hotel about your mother's condition nor booked a lower floor room at all for her. Instead of recognizing your negligence, you blamed the hotel for lack of guest orientation and creativity to solve problems when the hotel was almost fully booked...?

Regarding the staff's service & behavior, I am sorry to learn about your discontent with them. On contrary, most reviews in the T/A have praised them very highly. I even believe the main reason for Febri's to have so many repeat patrons over these years is the staff's friendliness and their sincere efforts to please our guests. However, as with any human being with feeling & dignity, they should not be treated badly if we expect them for a favorable response.

Yours truly,

PAULUS WIBOWO

Reviewed November 30, 2012

5th stay at Febris.. Great value hotel, free wifi, free breakfast, free massages.. Staff are fantastic.. The spa and spa staff are wonderful..for transport needs there is a transport stand out front ask for Wira, he is very honest and reliable..

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family