“Nice sunset view”

Legong Bumbu Bali
Ranked #854 of 995 Restaurants in Kuta
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The food is OK but overpriced for what it is. Not a great range to choose from and the accompaniments a pretty pitiful. Was edible and enjoy eating dinner watching the sun go down over the ocean, won't be going back though.

There are newer reviews for Legong Bumbu Bali

Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Tourist trap! Avoid at all cost! The fish tanks are empty and the prices are CRAZY! The waiter will rush you to your table (and don't be surprised when you're THE ONLY customer dinning there) so that you get in the typical "tourist trap" and will fork out 1,500,000 on some long time dead fish. JUST AVOID - NO BRAINER.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Like many first-time tourists to Bali, we wanted the 'seafood on the beach at sunset' experience that Jimbaran is famed for. Our driver dropped us off at Legong Bumbu Bali about 30mins before sunset, saying he did not personally know the place but it seemed ok because it 'looked clean'. We discovered later (too late) that our driver was clearly in on the scam with the restaurant all along.
I wish I had gone along with my gut instinct on arrival that this place is bad because for a place supposedly selling fresh and live seafood, there were very few live creatures in the tanks - in fact, 5 out of 6 tanks were empty - and this was only 6pm.
The waitress quickly brought us 'free welcome drink' (basically a fruit cordial) and peanuts without our permission, but we happily obliged as we were hungry. Actually the peanuts were pretty tasty! Waitress seemed friendly and seemingly incidentally, commented that Europeans (ie. like us) are rich.
We were given a menu and quickly noticed there were only 3 options - all set menus - cheapest starting at 1.2M Rupiah and ending at 1.5M Rupiah!! Ok, you get several types of seafood for this including 1kg of fish and 600g of prawns plus some other seafoods and probably enough to feed 2-3 people. A table next to us remarked to their waitress that the menus were too expensive and they wanted to order less. They were eventually given a different menu.
But when I asked for the same cheaper menu, our waitress insisted the menu we already had was the only menu available. After some insistence, we were given the other menu which featured cheaper mixed grilled seafood platters (fish, 3 clams, 3 prawns, 1/2 crab and calamari) inc. soup, rice, vegetables, bottled water and fresh coconut juice and for 150,000 - 300,000 Rupiah per person, the most expensive option included 300g of lobster. Even though it's cheap relative to prices back home, it is still expensive considering it is a plate of local seafood with cheap accompaniments and cooked in the simplest way possible. We should have left at this point as we had a bad feeling we were in a tourist trap but we were starving and had a tired child with us, so we ordered.
While waiting for food, we enjoyed the sunset.
Then the neighbouring table spotted the corn on the cob sellers on the beach and asked a waitress if that was part of the restaurant. She said 'no' but offered to go get them a corn cob at their table. She returned and told them the price was 20,000 Rupiah which they questioned but obliged. (We later bought a cob from the same seller ourselves and it cost only 10,000 Rupiah - so that waitress had obviously pocketed the extra 10,000 Rupiah from our neighbours)
The food was ok, not amazing at all and it was very doubtful it was the weight stated in the menu. The 'soup' seemed to be no more than an Oxo cube in hot water with some veg thrown in. If there is one positive about the food, the Lobster was gorgeous but def. less than the stated 300g quantity. For the price we paid, I expected the 3 prawns to be the 'jumbo shrimp' type - ha ha, what a stupid tourist I am! Of course not! They were each the size of my little finger with their tail still on. The half crab was about 5cm across meaning that the quantity of meat I managed to extract was no more than a teaspoon or so and only possible to get any meat from the claws because other legs were too thin. It was there for show rather than substance. Perhaps staff know this because no tool was provided to eat the crab - we had to ask twice for a nutcracker to break the crab. The 'dessert' included in our menu amounted to 4 thin slices of pineapple and watermelon (to share between 2 adults and a child) - pitiful!
We pointed out to our waitress that for what we ate, the menu is a rip-off. Her response was, 'Not expensive! Lots of fish, rice and sunset'.
At no point were we offered the option of choosing live seafood. I wish I had asked to see them weigh our seafood before cooking as I am sure we got only 2/3 of the weight we paid for.
When we came to paying, we were told credit cards were accepted (even that MasterCard was especially preferred) but at the last possible second, informed that a 3% surcharge would be added for using credit card. At this point, we were fed-up of being treated like idiot tourists and kicked up a stink; only after an argument in which we told the manager that credit card fees in most countries we have visited were covered within food prices, did the staff waive the surcharge.
We left feeling disappointed and cheated. Our driver insisted he had no knowledge of the place, just that it seemed clean. So why then does his business card have a logo of Legong Bumbu Bali on the back? Funny that he could not explain this one!
Would I go back? Absolutely not!
If your driver brings you here, he is on commission with this place! Do watch out for waitresses trying to fleece you and force you into taking expensive menus; also, insist on watching them weigh your food! Finally, (I feel bad saying this, but) when the waitresses ask you where you from, it is not to be friendly; it is to figure out whether you are from a rich country so they can rip you off even more!

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We were taken here by our driver and we were so disappointed. We were told before going that we could choose our own fish etc well that wasn't the case. Yes, we sat on the beach and it was nice but the positives stopped there. The $150 set menu was way over priced for what it was. Crab was just for show as it had no meat, mussels were strange tasting and the rest was average. We had a seafood platter in sanur for 4 for $70 that was 100% better. Jimbarin and legong are over rated. Save your money on the driver and the meal and go elsewhere. In my opinion sanur offers a lot more....

Reviewed December 20, 2013

So we got taken to Jimbaran for dinner by our tour, as many people had already recommended us to go here for dinner as well. We thought it was a great idea at first as there are so many restaurants who all seem the same so it made it easier for us.
Our tour's dinner included a basket with 300g of grilled fish, 2 small grilled prawns, 2 grilled clam/mussel things, and some calamari, as well as rice and a plate of vegetables, water and peanuts. It isn't very much for a dinner, and we thought that since we were there already we might as well just dish out and order whatever we wanted. We really wanted crab, so my mum went to choose the crab.
The crab was 250000/kg, and ended up costing 300000 (1.2kg). My mum also got persuaded to order some Tiger Prawns as well which were 375000, we got 2 which weighed 900g and cost 337500. My mum asked whether the crab was a mud crab or a water crab, but the guy didn't seem to understand the question and didn't really answer (though apparently the crab was floating around in the water). We decided to get fried black pepper crab and grilled tiger prawn with garlic butter.
I thought the tiger prawn was a rip off and when it came I didn't understand why my mum ordered it as it was literally two bites of prawn and it was done, not to mention that it wasn't that delicious anyway. The crab looked beautiful when it arrived, yet again, it was disappointing. Being such a big crab we were expecting the meat to be very full and juicy, but when we cracked the claws open they was absolutely tiny. The crab didn't have much meat in it at all, despite being quite a heavy (and expensive) crab!
Funnily enough the seafood included in the package was actually quite good! The peanuts that they brought out in the beginning were so delicious as well, and the fruit we got in the end was really sweet.
The service was excellent and our waiter was super nice and attentive, and let us change tables. The ambiance was good and there was also a girl dancing at one point (though the sound system screwed up half way through and she awkwardly scampered off). We wanted to eat out on the beach but the weather wasn't looking too good so they didn't let us (though it didn't rain in the end). If I were to come back to Jimbaran next time, i'd go somewhere else. Otherwise, the set meals which cost like 1million with a whole bunch of different kinds of seafoods (lobsters, crabs, king prawns etc.) seem much more worth it than individually selecting things.

Oh yeah, on our way out we also saw a rat/mouse dart pass some of the boxes which contained the seafood........