“Great.......BUT -- WARNING *****MSG ALERT*****”

The Garoupa Seafood & Dine Restaurant
Ranked #728 of 967 Restaurants in Kuta
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
“Great.......BUT -- WARNING *****MSG ALERT*****”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

For those who don't react to massive doses of MSG, this restaurant is JUST GREAT. GREAT Service, GREAT food, GREAT location. You can always tell a good Chinese restaurant if its full with Chinese people who all look very satisfied. When I asked the staff if they cook with MSG,they said yes. When I asked if they could serve my meal with no MSG they also said yes, and confirmed this when I asked. Suffice it to say it came out ABSOLUTELY LOADED with MSG, and my reaction was noticeable. Whilst I probably can't go back myself, I would recommend it to the MSG lovers out there because aside from that nu-necessary flaw it's a great restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank JalanJalan69

• Indonesian first
Kuta, Indonesia
“Best so far”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We / my wife and I have been coming to Bali for 27 years ( 6 times last 2 years) eat at many places but the garoupa restaurant is by far the best Chinese seafood we have found to date we stay in legian and taxi is less than $1 au each way we have eaten there 5 times this trip and still can not fault it No meal has cost us more than $40 au for 2 but you can buy more costly things on the menu if wanted I cannot recommend highly enough chicken beef and pork are all on the must try list Try this restaurant you won't be disappointed The negative comments I see are from Indonesians I don't think $30---$60 is much at all for this quality enjoy

• Visited April 2013
Garoupa B, General Manager at The Garoupa Seafood & Dine Restaurant, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Rudy Kesuma Hutasoit , General Manager at THE GAROUPA SEAFOOD & DINE responded to this review :

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.com.

We are very pleased to learn that you have had an unforgettable moment at THE GAROUPA Seafood & Dine and that we contributed to making your experience here in Bali a pleasant and memorable one.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our restaurant in the near future.

With best regards,
Rudy Kesuma Hutasoit
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“scrumptious food at affordable price”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I went to Bali 2 weeks ago and a family member recommended me to The Garoupa. My family and i came from Malaysia and we went there to have our dinner the night we got there and tried a number of dishes. We ordered the steamed fish with hongkong sauce, chili crab, strawberry springroll, chicken with mango sauce, pocay tofu and lobster sashimi.

My favourite dish is the strawberry springroll and the sashimi lobster. The springrolls are fried perfectly and are very crispy. The dipping sauce for the springrolls taste really good too. The lobster sashimi is extremely fresh which i really liked.

The restaurant serves live seafood there and that is why their dishes are very fresh and appetising. While we were having our dinner, we were entertained with modern chinese songs played by a pianist. The ambience in the restaurant was very nice, the staff there were really friendly and were always serving us with a smile. The boss was a very nice and friendly lady too. She recommended us a few other food that we might want to try on the next trip there.

Overall, i love the food and the service there. I will look forward to my next trip to The Garoupa and will definitely recommend this to my other friends and family! Cheers!

• Visited March 2013
Garoupa B, General Manager at The Garoupa Seafood & Dine Restaurant, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Mrs. Melissa Ng : Warmest Greetings From THE GAROUPA Seafood & Dine , Many Thanks for your Comment on our TripAdvisor Site " scrumptious food at affordable price "

We are thrilled that you have enjoyed your time with us. Kindly rest assured that all your kind feedback will be passed along to our Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to GAROUPA in the future.

With best regards,
Rudy Kesuma Hutasoit
Mobile : +6282146556528
Email : rkhutasoit@thegaroupa.com
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Hati-Hati untuk Anda yang Punya Alergi Kepiting!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I visited this restaurant last December 2012. I invite the whole family dinner here, it gets a reference when food here tasty. Incidentally the referee was also involved in the group,

My father was a very allergic to crab, so we ordered the corn soup without crab to the waitress. we have been very stressed, if not to get crabs in the soup that my father's orders.

But by the time the food came and my dad ate his soup, a few minutes later my dad's whole body flushed and swollen. Recurrent allergy! We all complain to the waiter, waitress panicked and convinced that she had ordered the corn soup without crab to the chef

But my father was very sure that there is content of crab in the soup.My dad's allergy will just relapse against crabs, for other seafood is never a problem. We asked the waiter to call the chef out, but could not because the waitress said the chef was busy. And this time, there are only three tables only.

We can not fuss much longer, because my dad allergies worse and worse when it's like that, his breasts will become congested and difficult breathing. In order to get out of there, I immediately pay all our bills and without thinking immediately return home to treat my father.

Fortunately, after taking allergy medicine, my father recovered state. Since then I WILL NOT to dine here ANYMORE. I think the food here is not as nice and comfortable place. My friend also told the referee that the food here is not as good when the restaurant was first opened. Their Chef might be different.

I suggest, if you want to find a good seafood restaurant, you have to visit Feyloon Restaurant at Jl Raya Kuta also. I asked my father eat there, but never his allergy recurrence.

For Garoupa management, please emphasize on your waitress for carefull and meticulous in taking orders, so that the same scene was repeated on the other guests.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank katherine1212712
“Nice place , food and all of staff so kindness”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was been to bali and came to this restaurant by guide . We ordered seafood very fresh and taste very fantastic and then next day we came again but without guide . The owner name Wanda she so wonderful girl very friendly and good treat customer.