“A satisfactory place”

and 1 more site!
Bali Reski Asih Cottages
Ranked #161 of 284 Kuta B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed as a family of four with two little babies in this resort. Overall, it is a positive feeling that we keep after our ten-day stay.

The resort is well-situated in a quiet street, far enough from the noisy Seminyak, with beach at reasonable distance by foot (300m), although a swim is not really to be recommended for sanitary reasons...

Talking about the resort, the rooms are OK, I agree with another comment that they are a bit dark maybe (we are talking here of the ground floor rooms). Cleaning is fairly OK although it could even be improved (eg shower,...).

All the rest is positive: staff is super kind and helpful, especially with children, generous (breakfast is included but if you expect an additional cup of coffee or toast, this is absolutely no problem)... Breakfast can be served all day long which is a bright idea (you have choice between continental, indonesian and other type of breakfasts). Ian, the boss, is around, being relax and helpful with everyone. Finally, the resort is small enough to be a safe place for kids to play around without any worries for parents. Pick up at the airport by private driver is included in the price. To be noted, the restaurant which is a hundred meters away from the resort on the left is also a good address if you want to have lunch or dinner nearby.

All in all we can recommend Seminyak Suites as a good place to stay in Seminyak, especially for young families.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
balijazz, Owner at Bali Reski Asih Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2011

Thanks for your review and we are glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. In regards to our bathrooms they are cleaned thoroughly every day. As the floors and walls are of now very old Balinese stone they may appear to have that worn look but all were sanded down at the beginning of the season and most our guests love the colours and size and feeling of these more traditional shower/WC rooms. We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast options and the family feel of our resort. We cater for all types of customers young or old, singles, couples and families but are mall enough to have that peaceful and relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

A nice hotel with very kind staff. I got sick and the manager drove me to the clinic and waited for me to be seen. Very kind. O

• Stayed: July 2011

Thank you for your review and enjoying the hospitality that our staff offer. We were very happy to accompany you to the doctor and were very glad that you recovered quickly.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

This was my second visit to Seminyak Suites. As before the staff were helpful and friendly and my room perfect for my requirements. Breakfast was served promptly and was always as ordered. Complimentary afternoon tea at the restaurant is a nice touch and a good opportunity to chat with some of the other guests. On my final day the chef came in to work 30 minutes early so that I got my breakfast before an early flight. What more can one ask?

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

thanks for your kind comments Mark and it was a pleasure to have you stay with us. Yes many guests enjoy our free afternoon tea from 4:00-5:30pm daily with a selection of Indonesian sweet and savory snacks. We will if possible always open our restaurant a little early for those who have any early morning flight. Once again thank you for appreciating what we have to offer and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

This was supposed to be a budget trip and hence we were looking for hotels in the $100 range and upon browsing TA found SSR as the highest ranked hotel within our budget (we were booking only 1 week in advance and mid-July onwards is peak season for Bali).

So first, let me give credit where it's due. Ian and his team manage this small resort wonderfully. I booked the hotel by writing into Ian at the email address provided on TA and he was always very prompt. After booking a room for my wife and myself I decided on taking my parents along and requested Ian to block another room until we could confirm flights & visa issues for them. Being a small hotel they use Agoda for non-direct bookings but even then Ian was willing to cooperate and block a room for 24 hours. A gesture that I really appreciated given the difficulty to do so.

Moving onto the resort details, the resort is located adjacent to Ku De Ta and Oberoi hotels which are landmarks in Seminyak and is a 10 minute walk from the main road and from the beach. The resort has 2 types of rooms that I am aware of, the superior and the deluxe. The deluxe rooms are on ground level with french windows facing the swimming pool and the smaller superior rooms are upstairs with a similar view. Both rooms have a open terrace with table and chairs and is a great place for relaxing. The pool looked clean and they had several deck chairs for guests.

The rooms are big, but slightly dimly light, I would've preferred a little more lighting. The superior room has a queen sized bed whereas the deluxe have king sized beds plus an additional sofa facing the TV. I had a very peaceful sleep on all 4 nights, the a/c functioned perfectly and since we were far away from the main road we didn't have any noise issues either.

The bathrooms are spacious, however the fittings could/should be replaced. One aspect that surely needs changing (also mentioned by another traveler earlier) is towels. They weren't dirty, but quite thread-borne and way past their usable stage. I would've also preferred slightly better fixtures in the bathroom. Another aspect that I found a little annoying was the flush in all the 3 rooms that I used; they weren't the best.

Coming back to service, the breakfast is great; they have a menu which offers Indonesian, Continental, English (additional IDR 25,000), breakfasts plus eggs and toast, baked beans and toast and pancakes. Most of the breakfasts are served with juices and tea/coffee and some even come with fresh fruits. The housekeeping and reception staff are very polite, very eager to help and always smiling. Whatever we requested for was attended to at the earliest. Rocky, the tour operator who operates from the hotel premises is wonderful, very polite and helpful; I'd strongly recommend that you use his services, you can get his email address from Ian. The one service that I wouldn't recommend is the spa/massage services of the adjacent Aura spa. I found their services very mediocre and very expensive compared to their output, you're better off walking along Laksmana and finding something better.

All in all, a wonderful hotel if you are traveling on budget. You won't feel cheated if you go with expectations set to find a 3 star hotel in a place where most 5 star resorts are 3 to 5x the price. We had families with infants, family with teenagers and elderly couples living beside us, so don't worry about having to live next to some rowdy teenagers who are partying all night long. This resort is very much a family resort.

Room Tip: I would strongly recommend going in for the deluxe room by paying $5 extra
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Traveleator

Thank you for appreciating the effort that our team put in to make your stay enjoyable. Our guests love our location tucked away down a side street but within walking distance to all that Seminyak has to offer.

In regards to the bath towels now we only have towels that our a maximum 18 months down to one month old. Any others that were circulating have been removed from our housekeeping department.

Most our guests enjoy the tour service that Rocky offers. He is independent of us but looks after our guest well. He is a little more expensive than from the street but will tailor make your tour to your own requirements. The spa is also independent of our resort and your comments have been passed onto the owner. Most our guests think that the service they offer our hotel is good value for money.

Once again we were really happy to have you stay with us and thank you for your constructive comments.

Reviewed July 20, 2011

This place isn't as fancy as I thought it might be, but it was comfortable and adequate as a place to stay a few days. The staff are very helpful, particularly Ian the general manager. It's as quiet as you'll get in Seminyak and the whole place is a self contained little hideaway. The pool is long enough to do laps and I seemed to be the only one using it. The room was comfortable, though the shower did leak all over the bathroom floor and took a bit of mopping, which was sort of inconvenient. Asians are used to using water rather than toilet paper - much more hygienic and environmentally friendly, but this was the first place I came across in SE Asia that didn't have a "bum gun" or a pail and scoop. I cut the sole of my foot open on the head of a nail protruding from the bedroom floor just as I was leaving, which left me with a bit of a souvenir for a couple of weeks. The food at the restaurant was unimaginative - not everything has to come with fries and I believe plenty of people typically eat fruit, yogurt, muesli type of breakfasts, but here was more fried food, bacon, eggs, toast or fried rice. WiFi was a bit hit and miss and the TV didn't have a whole lot of viewing options beyond local Indonesian sitcoms. I hated Seminyak - it's truly a dreadful place - cops stopped me to search my bag when I was going to the beach (full of drunk red people) - the streets are ugly, noisy and polluted and restaurants are ridiculously overpriced (by SE Asian standards) so I spent most of the time at the hotel between the room and the pool and I was happy enough to stay there. The place is old, maybe 20 years old and it shows, but the aircon works, the rooms and pool are clean and the balcony is big and good for afternoons reading. I wouldn't go back to Seminyak if you paid me (I didn't see a lot of Bali, but I much preferred peaceful Ubud), but as a place to stay Seminyak Suites Resort was fine.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SooKeeFoo

Thank you for your review and I am glad you were happy to stay with us at Seminyak Suites Resort. Yes as you point out we are not a fancy resort here and our hotel is quite old now, but we are constantly maintaining it to make sure your stay is still comfortable. Hospitality is the big focus of our team and we constantly strive to make our guests feel comfortable during their stay and we are glad that you appreciate that.

We are disappointed that you did not enjoy our breakfast options as they are quite varied and suitable for most our guests. Our general menu has many options that are not fried food. There is a large selection of salads and pastas, grilled meats and a variety of Indonesian food and vegetarian options available.

Our 24/7 WiFi connection is at the mercy of our provider and generally works well but there are days when it runs a little slow. We have several satellite TV channels that include BBC, Australia TV and Star Movies as well as many local channels for our guests to watch and also DVD players on request free of charge for those guests that wish to use them.

In regards to Seminyak most our guests stay here because it is their preferred place away from Kuta and Legian. Most of the best restaurants and bars are in this area and the choice is astounding.

Once again thanks for your review we really appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

Conveniently located near the main drag of Seminyak, but not noisy at all! This charming little resort style hotel has alot to offer. Ian and his team were always friendly, gracious and helpful. Food was very good and we loved the whole-day breakfast concept. We had great time and came back home with full unforgetable memories!

BTW, Ian, Chris and I are so looking forward to seeing you again and having a beer and wine together!

Cheers,
Chris and Sunny

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Hi Chris and Sunny thanks for your positive review on our small hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I really look forward to having that beer and wine with you on your next stay here but be quick as myself and Lambang my partner will be leaving Seminyak Suites Resort on January 31st, 2012 to move on to our new venture Labuan Bajo Hill Retreat in Labuan Bajo, Flores, Eastern Indonesia home to some of the world's best diving spots and the famous Komodo Dragons.

Reviewed July 13, 2011

I think the owner & staff mean well but the place is tired and frayed at the edges and I don't think they see it.
My room was musty and dark and in need of renovation - badly
The pool looked dirty
Needed to rattle the shower doors closed (water everywhere)
Needed to rattle the front door to get it to lock (not great when travelling alone)
Looks like someone will soon put their foot through the deck near pool-side "restaurant"
Internet works occasionally
General maintenance is needed
The cook obviously hasn't been shown how to make make pancakes - was closer to rubber in taste and texture.
See photos

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank timetotravel66
balijazz, Owner at Bali Reski Asih Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2011

Dear guest I would like to give the following response to your review even though I appreciate all reviews and comments delivered here.

Thanks at least for acknowledging that myself and my staff mean well, as we do. To say that Seminyak Suites Resort is tired and frayed around the edges and that we don't see it does not do us justice to say the least. I am the first to admit that our hotel is a bit of an old lady, but have spent a lot of time and effort to keep it looking clean and fresh. In fact if you had any complaints you should have come to me to remedy them as I am always around the hotel and certainly was during your stay.

The block of 4 rooms, which you was in were all painted last year. All our other rooms were painted only 2 months ago. Your room 115 is tucked away in the corner at the rear of the resort and is slightly darker than most. Still we offer a cheaper room rate for this block to compensate. It is very rare to receive a complaint even for these rooms.

Also your photo of the shower is very misleading, as it actually is lubricant to keep the sliding shower door easy to open and close. I must say though that my maintenance guy could have done a tidier job. The paint is also not peeling of the metal shower bracket but maybe underneath the metal is starting to swell up a bit, but it hardly looks like it is rotting away. I did check this shortly after reading your review.

Our swimming pool is serviced throughout the day to keep it clean and keep the correct chemical balance. Occasionally when we replace some water there is a slight reaction with the minerals in the water but it is still safe to swim in.

Our internet service is free of charge to our guests and we have have a 24/7 connection. Occasionally it does go down or a little slow but you have to understand that we are at the mercy of our provider in this matter.

You are the first to complain about our pancakes, as most our guests really enjoy them and even though there are many breakfast choices choose to have them every day. I will however pass your comments on to our kitchen staff, so at least they know 1 customer was not happy with them.

One more point about the value we offer. For guests staying 3 or more days our room rates include free airport transfers, welcome drink, breakfast, afternoon tea, free wifi connection and all local tax and service charges. We offer very good value for money for the area we are in and try to make all our guests welcome and relaxed. We are as I have said before a small 2 to 3 star standard homely hotel where we try to get close to our guests to make their stay enjoyable.

I am so sorry you was not pleased with our standards but still hope you may give us another chance in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Destiny Boutique Hotel
Lotus Tirta Seminyak Hotel & Villa
Chimera Villas
Chimera Villas
#112 of 423 in Seminyak

Been to Bali Reski Asih Cottages? Share your experiences!