“Friendly staff, quiet, modern and relaxed ”
Review of Fontana Hotel Bali

Fontana Hotel Bali
Ranked #27 of 253 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Contrary the the previous reviewer, this hotel is in a good location, just far enough from the centre of the Kuta hustle and bustle which is very noisy! You can walk to the heart of Kuta or the beach in about 15 minutes, or pay only $2-$3 for a taxi ride (recommended at night because of dodgy footpaths).
All staff are incredibly friendly, a decent breakfast selection (they can make omelettes, crepes and pancakes infront of you).
The room was small but clean. Comfortable beds. Impressed by the number of TV channels and free mini bar which includes soft drink, juice, nuts and chocolate and is refilled daily.
The pool was clean and enjoyable. Not enough sun lounges however, never was able to get one and we stayed while it was very quiet.
The hotel decor is an eclectic mix of modern and vintage, very interesting! Didn't get to eat dinner at the restaurant, however had cake and coffee at the cafe which was perfect.
Would recommend if you can get a room at a special rate like we did, isn't worth the full standard price. It was perfect for the two of us as it was on the small side and quiet. Wouldn't be suitable for families with kids.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank luckyhelga7

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We left and went back to our first hotel after just a few hours.

This is in the middle of NOWHERE. I have no idea why it's so highly rated. I had actually checked just how far from Kuta it was and was told a few minutes.

Unless you have a car you are completely dependent on taxi's, which you have to call, you can't just wander out to the street because it's so remote.

Staff were rude and Manager told me 'it's not MY problem it's yours' when I tried to address issue, and then said I can use his phone but they'll add it to my bill.

Breakfast was in 2 rooms, no-one welcomed us or explained. They had no fruit, no juice and no pastries left and weren't willing to offer anything else even though it was only 9am.

The rooms are TINY. We had a twin and felt like sardines when the luggage came in.

Absolutely shameful. AVOID.

Room Tip: Just go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tooraweena
Fontanahotelbali, Front Office Manager at Fontana Hotel Bali, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Greetings Tooraweena,

Thank you for your time to share your recent experience with us, we welcome all concern and input from our customer. We understand that most of the tourist coming to Bali looking for leisure and Fontana support both leisure and business activities in Bali, for that Fontana provide accommodation in Kuta Area without having to fight the crowd.

When we search for your recent stay, trust that my staff had provide their best service for our guest, unfortunately our location wasn't suit for your interest. My staff had reconfirm your stay during your arrival, and you were accepted the information. When you met the duty manager in charge, trust that he already informing you that the booking wasn't refundable but yet you were insist to get the refund which we can’t provide without the amendment agreement in written from the Travel agent that you booked. As mentioned in the booking confirmation, the room that you booked were the lowest category in our hotel where the size of the room indeed the smallest one, if you decide to take the suite room it will be twice the superior size.

For the breakfast area, indeed we are prepare in 3 separate areas where we provide a different atmosphere for our guest, non-smoking, smoking and a lounge type. Most of our guest found this setup are very interesting and satisfy with our breakfast setup service, where you may found in the reviews from another guest. Your information about juices are not eligible, due to we are provide 3 different juices every morning where the breakfast is available from 7.00am to 10.30 am.

How did you judge the breakfast when you said you weren’t stayed with us for a night? and in our record you were stayed for 1 night, and how can you mentioned that our breakfast is not good when you were only experience it one time with a feelings of unsatisfied with our locations?

Your direct response and email to me will be more than welcome for discussing your experience as we really would like to ensure satisfaction to our guest. As we did communicate before when I helped you to locate the lost earrings in your previous room.
Please contact me to fom@fontanahotelbali.com.

Best Regards,

Eko Wijana
Front Office Manager

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My first visit to Bali & staying at Fontana was a great choice. Location is not near the beach so if that's what you're there for, Fontana might not be the place for you. I like being close to the action but not in it. The hotel is just a short taxi ride to everything & the staff are very friendly & do go out of their way to assist you with a big smile. The breakfast spread was very large & full of variety. There were Asian (fried rice, fried noodles, soup, curry & BBQ chicken, egg rolls, vegetables, etc) & western (eggs, toast, fruits, muffins, bagels, sausages, etc) style breakfast choices so I did stuff myself quite a bit before a long day of sightseeing. I personally loved the "create your own omelette & crepe". I didn't have much free time & everyone tells me I have to do a massage in Bali, so decided to do the zen spa treatment at the hotel. It was very relaxing & just what I needed after a long day out. Last appointment is at 9pm so schedule it before you start the day is best if you're interested. I was very impressed with the decor. The open lobby with the bar & lounge feels very welcoming & a great place to hang out. I didn't have time to use the pool but from the look, very clean & surrounded by greens so you feel like your in a secluded area. Hope to test that out next time. Fontana is definite a hotel filled with 5 star amenities but at reasonable price. One more thing, my room had a personal safe which I was able to use & the drinks & food in the refrigerator are all complimentary that the hotel replenish daily. Big plus in my book!

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Kathy T
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I was at Fontana for 3 nights and it have a very good breakfast.The staff is friendly and you receive some extra amenities in your room...but the hotel is far from all the things in Kuta or Legian and you need a car ou a taxi for all. The pool and gym close very early ay 07:00 pm(maybe 10:00 pm is a good time to close) and the massage is very very expansive than the similar like you find in Kuta.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank jorgeotavio
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had a wonderful experience in this Hotel in Bali (between Kuta and Seminyak area). First of all the location is great. Away from the noisy Kuta but within few minutes taxi ride of Kuta and Seminyak. Staff is very friendly and helpful all the time. Hotel is new and very modern and built in Balinese style. Rooms are big and comfortable with a nice bathroom. Mini-bar (no alcoholic drinks) is included and renewed every day. Pool area not very big but very nice and integrated in the hotel. Breakfast buffet is huge and food is very tasty. At the reception they really take care of all our questions and doubts. You get a discount voucher when checking in for the Spa which is in the top floor of the hotel (I highly recommend doing the 2 hours Massage and hot stones treatment). We felt very comfortable during our stay in the Fontana hotel.

Room Tip: There are one or two rooms per floor without balcony. When doing the reservation ask for one with ba...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mianroro
Reviewed October 27, 2013

From our collection at the airport the pleasure started, it was all so smooth and pleasing. The reception and porter were all great and showed us all of the room amenities. The room was on the ground floor and overlooked the pool and it was quiet and a great size. The free minibar was also great with a plate of fresh fruit awaiting us on arrival.

The breakfast was on a 7 day rotation and it was plentiful and the chefs would prepare your eggs just as you wanted them and even an endless supply of crepes. The service was always polite and so friendly, nothing was a hassle for them and always with a smile on their faces.

The restaurant was a wonderful place to eat from their Italian menu and the Italian chef would always make time to chat with the guests . There was a wine list with many counties on it and this was a pleasant surprise. The food was always prepared wonderfully and served perfectly.

I highly recommend this place as it is quiet and away from the noisy areas of Kuta but it a 5 minute taxi ride and for $2 it was still close enough to pop in if you did not make the free shuttle.

Room Tip: Choose the Deluxe rooms as they all have a balcony and overlook the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed from 20th Oct to 23rd Oct at this new hotel.

Upon arriving, there is a security screening at the gate and upon reaching the lobby, there will always be a staff to open the door for me. Be it I arrived back at the hotel at 7pm or even 12am.. They will walk all the way down to the car, open the door, smile and greet you.

Check in was extremely fast, less than 3 min and I was on my way to the room. I had asked for 2 room, one of which was still not ready as they are still preparing. I do not mind as my family was just intending to leave all the stuff and off we go for shopping. However, within about 5 mins after we went in the first room, one of the staff came up and inform us that our 2nd room isnt ready and they do not want us to wait, they are giving us another room which is on the other side of the current room. This was not requested for but their gesture really worth commendation.

The hotel is really nice and look extremely new, rooms are big and they provide all toiletries(toothbrush and toothpaste,shampoo and soap, hairdryer). The stuff from the minibar is free too and they are replenish everyday! Everyday they even fold a different animal using the towel, during my stay.. I had a pig and tortoise! The in-room dining are fantastic too and the delivery time is quite short, I think it was within 10min after I gave them a call.

One thing I really quite like about them is that every call to the front desk they will answer it within 2 ring. I had to call them a few time as I was unsure with some of the stuff in the room, such as bottle opener/time-zone difference and how to off the bedside light. And they speak very good english!

The buffet breakfast is very nice too! and they changes the spread daily such that you will not be tired with their food. During my 3 day of breakfast, it was all different! Although some of the food remains the same such as sausages and ham.

The hotel is located abit far away from the town area and you must take their daily shuttle or take a cab to kuta (Although the cab fare is really quite cheap, about 150k to 250k). It is recommended to ask for the hotel card before you leave, as this hotel is new not many taxi driver know where is it. Despite being far away, the good thing is that it is quiet, traffic arent very heavy near the area as compared to those hotels in kuta.

The only 2 recommendation for the hotel are:

1) The bath area in the toilet - The floor seems to be straight instead of slope down into the drain, thus everytime after we bath the floor will always be wet and slightly flooded as the water are trap in the middle till room service is done.

2) Signage for food - Most of the breakfast are labelled. However for the eggs(scrambled egg, sunny side etc) and the pancakes(all the different flavours and type of pancake) they are not labelled. Had to ask the waiter/waitress where do people get it from and have to ask the cook what are they different types and flavours they have.

Overall had a very pleasant stay at this hotel.. I hope fontana maintain this standard throughout! Definitely will be back to stay at this hotel again!!! Keep it up!

Room Tip: Higher floor room seems to be quieter. Ask for those nearer to the lift if do not want to walk much...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family