“Very disappointing...”

Copacabana
“Very disappointing...”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Extremely disappointing

My partner and I stayed here for four nights during the Christmas and New Year period in 2013 and were unfortunately very disappointed.

Firstly, I would like to point out the good things about La Walon because there was some things we enjoyed. The pool area is very lovely and is a good feature of the hotel and the cleaning and breakfast staff are also very warm and friendly.

Unfortunately, we found the receptionist (male) was hostile toward us during both check in and check out and we were not made feel welcome or valued. Could this be because we are young, budget travellers? I'd be interested to know if others had a different experience...

Upon arrival we were made feel bad because we had booked a few hours earlier using Agoda and the booking had not come through yet...We weren't given any help with our bags to our room.

During our first night the hotel suffered a power surge and the lights, television, aircon, fridge and our personal laptop blew up! Literally the television was on fire and we were in total darkness. We were not the only ones in the hotel that this happened to.

I understand that things like this happen but I feel the situation was handled unprofessionally by management. We were left in the dark (literally) for 2-3 hours before lights were reinstalled, the tv was replaced and we could return to our room (we sat in reception). There was no apology or sympathy given to us or any concern from staff that our laptop no longer worked. It felt like we were bothering them by asking them what was going on...The aircon was never fixed that night (we called reception numerous times) so we were given another room for one night. The next day we were woken at 8am and told to move back to our old room...The aircon was still broken and it didn't work properly for the rest of our stay.

The bathroom was also really smelly (something that is quite common in Bali) and the bathroom lights didn't work when we arrived. The WiFi doesn't work in the rooms (superior or standard) so it's unfair for them to claim that it does....One of the reasons we chose La Walon in the first place was because they claimed to have good WiFi and I do freelance work and need the internet. Finding good WiFi at budget hotels has not been a problem for me in previous stays in Indo and other parts of Asia. It worked in public areas but was temperamental and only worked sometimes.

I enjoyed breakfast at La Walon but my partner had toast and it was stale.

On our last day we decided to see if they had a room for another couple of nights not because we wanted to stay longer but there was nothing else available in Kuta due to it being Christmas and New Year but the receptionist basically ignored us and made it clear he wasn't interested in hosting us any longer so with that we packed our bags and left...

For the money we paid I am very disappointed in La Walong...My partner and I are budget travellers and have travelled all through Asia and Indonesia and this was by far our biggest disappointment for us. A friendly face at reception probably could lifted our spirits...

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlotte R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Darwin
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Positives

Staff are exceptionally friendly

Centrally located in Kuta on Poppies Lane 1

Great Walking distance to the beach, Nightclubs, Beach walk, ETC.

In house restaurant is produces great tasting (safe) budget meals.

Downside.

Location. Taxis do not like to travel down poppies so if you don't like to walk. not a great choice.

Room Tip: Ground Floor is best anywhere in Bali as they seem to use the slipperiest tiles everywhere.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This is my 5 time in bali and my second stay at the lawalon after staying at 4 and 5 star hotels my first times and then discovering this hotel I would not stay anywhere else this hotel is in a greAt it's position close to everything .i had my husbands 40th birthday here with about 20 quests I could not be happier the staff really helped with the organising and went out of there way to make it a great night. This hotel is not 5 stars but the service is 5 stars it has a warm and homely feeling and I feel very safe staying here. A big thank you to the Lawalon and all there staff this will be my home away from home. Cassey

Room Tip: Ground floor close to pool
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cassey R
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 20, 2013

It is located on Poppies lane 1 . Walk 5 minutes to Kuta beach. Many shops and restaurants on Poppies lane . 3 minutes walking to Bamboo restaurant on the Poppies Lane. Hotel has a nice swimming pool. Breakfast is basic but good. Staffs are helpful and friendly . Made Sudiarta, Ms. konarg and Puto , thanks,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Brian H
Haverhill, UK
Reviewed September 15, 2013

When I first came to Bali I was staying in places like AP Inn, thinking my budget would not stretch to the likes of La Walon or Masa Inn - but I was wrong.

At very similar prices, they are 100 times the hotels that AP Inn and the likes are.

La Walon is now my GO TO hotel when in Bali, decent sized rooms and lovely grounds, very reasonable price, decent breakfast and nice bar area with restaurant. In Europe this would be £100+ per night.

Yes, the bathrooms could probably do with a refit - but that can be said of the majority of hotels in this range in Bali, but the staff ensure it is clean - so no real problem.

Despite being directly on the busy poppies lane - as soon as you step inside La Walon you are in an oasis of quiet tranquility.

I cannot wait to go back. Roll on summer 2014.

Room Tip: The new block is obviously more modern, but I prefer the character of the old block - its also bette...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BenThomas010
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed here for 14 nights, had a great time, good food, (the nasi goreng is delicious) breakfast was fine too. We stayed in family deluxe room, it is huge and perfect for four of us. Staff is lovely, and very willing to help, the kids got sick and the staff helped us get them to the doctor, which was great! We recommend staying here if you want good value for money! Thank you la walon! the Fitzgeralds x

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Ruth J
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

The La Walon has a Nice location with lots of shops, bars, restaurants and mini marts.
The pool is amazing and the room in comfy and clean.
Make sure do not take the room facing the street.... The internet doesn't work in this room.

• Stayed July 2013