“Nice Hotel with friendly staff and great location”
Review of La Walon Hotel

La Walon Hotel
Ranked #136 of 251 Hotels in Kuta
Worldwide
“Nice Hotel with friendly staff and great location”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I stayed in La Walon a few times at year 2011. It’s a nice hotel, good value for money. I was always staying in deluxe room; these rooms are new, clean with good bathrooms. Staff is always friendly and helpful. I was impressed first time when I booked that hotel as they offered me free pick up from the airport. Yea, if duration of stay is more than 5 days, then they will pick you up from the airport. There is a swimming pool in the hotel, not so big, but still good. The breakfast is decent and you can always order something more from their restaurant. I like this hotel for its location as it within 5-7 minutes walking distance to the beach and to Legian Street. There are many affordable restaurants around.
I will definitely stay in this hotel when I am back to Bali. And I recommend others to stay there as this hotel is affordable, clean, safe, well located and properly maintained.

Room Tip: Stay in deluxe room as these rooms are new and better quality
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank traveller n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I always stayed at la walon hotel.All staff is so nice and the room clean every day breakfast is yummy.At the reception they all nice peoples but sometimes when they spoke in their own languages you d'ont know if they are talking about me or us.look for to stay there in april. Ask for discount if u stay longer ya???

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank kutabeach
kolkata
Reviewed December 13, 2011

it was a nice budget hotel. try getting room in d new building which has been recently renovated as d older unit has a bathroom leakage problem. pool is good and bfast was also nice. its a five minute walk from d beach but is surrounded by shops, pubs and restaurants.

Room Tip: take superior room in d newly renovated wing which is quite better than d older wing.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank vicky159
australia
Reviewed December 12, 2011

i go to bali every few months to escape winter here in sydney and to chase waves..i found the la walon online a year ago or so and wont stay anywhere else..you can find cheaper, but you wont find the quality ..the staff are great and friendly, the pool is great, the food is good, the rooms are clean and large, the location is central.. its just a great relaxing place to stay...ive probably stayed at la walon 5-7 times in the last year and a half and every time its been great...Made and the team there alway make my stay enjoyable...it definantly is my home in bali

Room Tip: they have modernised all there rooms now with the old bali section all renovated so all rooms are go...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank jay s
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2011

So we were sifting through lots of reviews of the hundreds of hotels available in Kuta to organise the stay of a few families visiting Bali on my cousin's wedding and we needed a place that is central, cheap, clean, easy access and La walon was one of the contenders. In a market that has a wide variety it is not easy to find a place that is good. We booked 6 Standard rooms at the rate of $43 a night including breakfast. We needed clean rooms, so luxurious accomodation was not our expectation, though reviews of the rooms were "interesting". So we took the gamble and booked La Walon. They even threw in airport pickup of rooms that are occupied for at least 5 nights, so most of us got picked up from the airport.

As other reviews do mention, the hotel is in an EXTREMELY busy yet, narrow road in Kuta. To give you perspective, it is so narrow that a car can barely pass through at sections. The street (poppies Lane 1) is full of souvenir shops, money changers, restaurants, tour organisers, massage parlours, internet cafes, dodgy dealers etc. You find most things you neded in there. Towards one end of Poppies lane is the Kuta beach. Crowded, yet lovely and surprisingly level of cleanliness for the number of people there. On the other end is Legian Road which is the party street and high levels of traffic full of scooters and taxis.

The hotel seems to have evolved and the standard rooms are all in the old wing (as people refer to on here) and most deluxe rooms in the new wing. The difference is obviously the age of the rooms and the furnishings and most noticeably the bathroom. We stayed in a very big room (210) as we had 3 guests, and it is mahoosive! The bathroom was pretty clean but had no shower curtain and was so old and stained that you would think the bathroom is not clean. Either way I didn't expect it to be 5* for US$43 a night. The beds were ok, the aircon very cool and a fridge/mini bar and lots of storage space. Despite being on a very busy noisy street, surprisingly the noise doesn't penetrate into the rooms which I thought was great! I slept very well all 6 nights I stayed there. I had a peep in a deluxe room in the new wing (where some of our group stayed a couple of the nights) they are slightly more expensive but were more modern than the standard rooms and had shower screens. Still value for money I think.

he staff were great! Most are very happy and helpful. They all greet you every single time you meet them. One or two reception staff were not very pleasurable characters but then again I am being picky here....
They offer a very helpful safe box service at the reception, free wifi which is patchy and the password changes every 48 hours but you can get it updated from the reception. Either way it is free so you can't complain. A lovely sized pool, awesome for relaxation. Though small, it is pretty nice for the location. Nice scupltures all around the garden, which I liked. The breakfast is decent and sufficient. Many people I see have left feedback to indicate it is basic and bad. I don't think it is basic or any different to a buffet. You get a hot drink, a juice from a choice, 2 slices of toast with butter and jam, fruits plate, and a choice of Jaffle (a sandwich) or pancake made to your choice of fruit in it. I can't imagine myself eating anything different at a buffet had there been one. Therefore it is good! The restaurant suffered of flies and mosquitos but that's expected in the tropics.

I didn't try any other meals at the restaurant but based on reviews I tried the Agung Bali restaurant literally across the road from the hotel, and that was a lovely restaurant. decently priced, good food and tasty too with generous portion sizes. You must try their bali sunset drink.

You can find a 7 seater taxi across the road anytime and negotiate a deal with them for a full day for around US$40-$50 you can hire the van for a full day to go anywhere you want. The blue taxis you find on the roads are very good value for money and cheap and comfortable and I will definitely recommend.

There are money changers all over the place but take my advise, believe me, don't go to any money changer that has a rate that is significantly above the rates from others because they will play you out by confusing you. I will put in a separate review with tips purely around this as I managed to read their trick and beat them at their own game. The last 2 money changers on poppies lane but at the end of the lane when you walk towards the beach are reliable people offering decent deals with round figures. change your money with them. don't change money at the airport as with all countries.

There is a lot of shopping in the area available, its all in walking distance. The party clubs are 5-10 mins walk away too. There are lots of places for massages, but go to a clean one. don't go to the ones that look dodgy as they are not clean. I definitely recommend Shinkei spa which is by the bomb memorial on Legian Road. I had 6 massages in 7 days (try the foot massage and the neck,shoulder and head massage). They all cost in the range of £5-£7 for a full hour. Very clean and relaxing.

I know my review has touched on a few other topcis, but I thoughtI will share it all to give you the flavour of how great the location is of La Walon and why I felt at home by the 5th day I stayed there and didn't want to leave the place despite the down sides of Kuta. I was so comfortable there. The place is safe, the beds are changed every day, and the towels too. Surely you will find other hotels in the area for the same price range, but with all factors taken into consideation, I think La Walon was a good choice. highly recommend it for budget travellers going to Bali on a holiday, not great for honeymooners or people who need pampering at every single step they take during holidays.

Room Tip: If you are staying in a deluxe room, ask for rooms in the new wing. Go to Agung Bali across the ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank sherveen
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We have stayed at La Walon Hotel in Poppies 1 several times. While it is budget accommodation it is good value for money. Location is excellent, with only a short stroll to either the beach or Kuta Square. There are some really nice restaurants close by and you just have to take a short walk down Poppies to find a massage, manicure, shopping, bookshop, bar, tour operator, 24/7 and there are several ATMs close by, including two right under the hotel's reception area.

On our last visit we (71 year old mother and myself) stayed in one of the deluxe rooms that are located in the reception wing. the rooms are large with a small balcony (not really big enough for chairs though) that overlooked the pool and restaurant area. The room had a very cold airconditioner and a very nice bathroom. The fridge was only a small bar size but enough room for a couple of cans of drink. Breakfast was basic, but enough for us - eggs, toast, fruit, fruit juice and a cuppa.

Only negatives, bathroom was quite small and the shower floor was very slippery and flooded. We bought a cheap bath mat from Matahari that solved our slipping problem.

Staff very friendly and the food at the restaurant is excellent. We would often come back to the hotel after shopping and order some lunch that was happily delivered to our room.

Pool was on the coolish side (temperature wise) as it is in the shade in the arvo, but that is often a releif from the hot sun.

Overall, for the price we paid, 500 000Rp/night for 2 adults with breakfast, this hotel is always on the top of our list when holidaying in Bali.

Staff are always happy to give us a good price on accommodation when we email them.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank tracy_balidreaming
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 2, 2011

room furniture and toilet facilities are better than Masa Inn next door for a similar price. provides small soap but no soap dish, no other toiletries given. Rooms are clean and good water pressure in the shower.
Rooms numbers are labeled not according to floors. Rooms with 300 series were on a higher floor than the 400 series.
Must bring own power adaptor(european), hotel does not seem to provide and non counter staff tried to sell me an ugly used one for 20,000. He said it was left behind from a previous hotel guest :-(
Restaurant menu not appealing, more western than local cuisine.
International tv channels is a plus.
like the free wifi but wifi reception in rooms far from lobby will have weak to no signal.

Room Tip: request to see the room as rooms above the lobby have good wifi signal but can be noisy. Rooms furth...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends