“If the owner was there...”
Review of Fat Yogi Cottages

Fat Yogi Cottages
Ranked #144 of 250 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This accommodation would have been one of my favorites if someone had been there who was capable of making decisions. I thought that it was a great value and the pool was an awesome size. Unfortunately they didn't have the pool lights on at night and even though the curfew for the pool was 9:00pm, which I adhered to, most other people didn't which I wish I would've known, cause I would have been out there much later if I could have. Aside from the pool, the main issue was that I booked a double bed room with my husband, but they gave us two single beds (not very romantic). We went to the front desk to rectify the situation and we were told that there were no more double rooms available at the same price and that we'd have to pay more to move to a room with a double bed. We said we had reserved a double bed and she even had our email on file. She said that her manager had made a mistake and was in Hong Kong and was unavailable. It took me about 15 minute and several uncomfortable stares to get the woman at the desk to give us a room with a double bed. Apparently when the manager or owner is not there, the staff is incapable of making any decisions which leads to terrible customer service. Still, when we did manage to get our room, it was very nice.

4  Thank italiarose

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Very good location, very close to the beach.
friendly staffs, nice garden, but the facilities in the room really so so, for this price is ok.
Little bit noise during the night.
Will recommended for the future trip

2  Thank Lily C
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The room we stayed in was very nice; all the fixtures and fittings were good, and the hot water and a/c worked well. The pool was one of the nicest we've seen and the location is very good; out of the way and quiet but close to all the action. Fat Yogi lost points for poor management. We booked well in advance and asked for a double room. Upon arrival we were given a twin and were told that 'The manager made a mistake. She didn't know what double meant.' We spent some time at the reception desk, trying to convince the receptionist that this was not our mistake and that we had indeed booked a double room. Apparently the manager was out of the country and had not left a contact number. We were told a deluxe double was available, but at a higher rate. We asked if they could give us the room for the agreed rate and were told that nobody was allowed to make that decision except the manager.

After talking in circles for some time, the receptionist eventually let us have the double for the agreed price. We were happy with the room, and decided to come back to Fat Yogi on our return journey. Again, we were disappointed as nobody responded to our emails for a week. Finally, on the afternoon of our arrival (and after already checking in elsewhere) somebody emailed and asked if they should cancel our reservation!

This is a nice hotel, but they have some serious management/reservation problems.

Room Tip: It's probably best to show up and hope they have a room. The rooms furthest from the reception...
3  Thank SeoulSteve
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband me stayed here a couple of nights both when we arrived and left Bali. We were a little bit hesitant when we first booked this hotel, considering it is located in the middle of the busiest part of Kuta. As soon we entered the courtyard it suddenly became very quiet, only low music playing and the pretty pool area was a nice sight after a long flight.
Our room in the first floor, near the pool was basic, but we didn't ask for more for the price we paid. It had AC, flat screen TV with English channels, and best of all - a fridge!
The location is great, close to everything, but still very quiet, as I wrote. Our breakfasts was included in our price, it was the standard Bali breakfast, nothing to com p lain about. We could choose to eat on our porch or by the pool.
Overall, I think this is a very good place to stay if you don't need a 5 star hotel and if I ever go back to Kuta, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank InTwoPlaces
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I was there half way through july and stayed for a week all up. it was about 30aud a night and i was in a superior room. it was amazing! one of the biggest rooms and beds ive stayed in, very very clean neat and tidy. it was one of the new rooms. I'd no doubt stay here again. for how cheap it is, how amazing the rooms and the service is you'd be hard pressed to find anything similar to this hotel. half way down poppies one, close to everything, right behind havana club restaurant which is amazing with some of the best food in the area! Thanks for such a great stay I cant wait to come back and stay again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Danny G
Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Lets list pros and cons to keep this easy

Pros:
- free wifi (although not too great inside the rooms)
- pool area is very pretty
- location is great
- breakfast wasnt great but its nice to eat on your own balcony

Cons:
- price (but they do give discounts for volunteers)
- the rooms have a flat screen tv and a fridge but other than that they are run down. The bathroom was worse. After being in sri lanka for some time i am used to it, but i imagine other tourist beinh really grosed out by it.

I liked it! :) its a nice little place. The pool is great. And after all you are not in kuta to spend a lot of time
In your room anyways

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank NiinaJuliia
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I was in Kuta for my 21st bday celebration. Before I was in Bali I went online to see which hotel offers the best deal and closest to Legian street aka Party Paradise. I come across Fat Yogi and its reviews.
Located along popies 1, right infront of this hotel is a mini-mart, about 10-15 steps away.
1 thing good about this hotel is its location. It is right in between street stalls selling shirts, singlets, shorts, shoes, shades, and many other things a tourist would want to get. There is also a massage parlour near the hotel. At only 55,000 rupiah (7 Singapore Dollars) you could get a full body massage for an hour.
This hotel is also near kuta beach. But ofcourse it would be better to rent a bike and ride it to kuta beach. renting a bike cost 60,000 per day but trust me, its well worth it if you love the beach.
In kuta beach, There are many stalls catering mostly to tourist. So, if its your first time there, like me, be prepared to have 10-15 guys selling you things all at once when youre minding your own buisness. prices at kuta beach are insane. But can be brought down by more then 50%.

Now Lets get to the Hotel itself.

I contacted Diah, the manager via email letting her know what I need, eg, 3 ppl in 1 room, the rates, pick up from airport.

I paid 440,000 rupiah for a superior room with an extra bed per night.
The transport from the airport cost 75,000 rupiah which is rather cheap considering Bali's airport is far away from anything.

The first thing you notice when you arrive at the hotel is the swimming pool. which looked very very inviting. I checked in with no problems as I already had a reservation. Diah had already printed out the emails I had mailed to her which I thought was very professional as it does not allow any misunderstanding as the rates were already agreed upon.
We checked in at room 202. The second floor. The WIFI was poor. Theres no connection in the Second floor. But it was ok as it was much better hanging around the pool area. There are sun bathing seats by the pool and It is a place you could spend 3-4 hours dazing. The pool area is really the most relaxing and quite part of my trip. With the WIFI the strongest there, It is a nice place to just lay back and get some work done or catch up with your friends in your home country.

The room I got was ok. The aircon could be better so we decided to leave a card in the key holder to on the aircon throughout the stay. That solves the problem. As I read from the reviews there were no tvs. But i was happy to see one in our room. It was wall mounted so it gives a good view. The balcony wasnt really a big wow cause I prefer the bed.
The bathroom was ok.. But they could change the tiles.
Overall, I think the hotel was worth the money. But a helpful tip, Do not get the cheapest room. The place where you stay in will determine weather or not it was a good trip. And Im glad mine was.

There is also a bar/restaurant called HAVANA beside the hotel. It is only 4-5 steps away from the reception which I thought was amazing. We could have our food delivered to the swimming pool hut. YES, hut. I thought the staffs there were friendly and very helpful.

A must place to visit is the SKY GARDEN located at LEGIAN, which is about 3 minutes by bike, 10 minutes by walking. If youre facing the hotel's entrance from outside, turn left and walk all the way down straight untill you see a 1 way road. Turn left and walk down till u see SKY GARDEN.
walk up to the entrance and a lovely lady will ask u which country are u from. If youre a tourist, you'll get a VIP pass for some promotions. Another thing is that tourists can enter SKY GARDEN for free. And the buffeet at ONLY 50,000 rupiah, 6 Singapore dollars is amazing. You get to sit at the rooftop and admire the atmosphere. Its just awesome. night time sky garden is a place for tourist. Ive met alot of people in Sky garden ranging from Italy, England, Mexico, Japan and ofcourse Australia.

Overall I think the trip was amazing. But ofcourse thanks to Diah, the manager of Fat Yogi, It makes our stay in Bali a great one.

Room Tip: Pick atleast a Superior room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends