“Why go past the Kartika?”

Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel
Ranked #6 of 251 Hotels in Kuta
Perth, Australia
“Why go past the Kartika?”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Our friends and ourselves repeatedly stay at Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel and have done so for many years and this is after trying out other hotels in the area.

Whilst it's not completely perfect, the staff, the facilities, the location and value for money are hard to beat so we'll keep going there so long as those attributes remain.

We are always provided with our favourite room and this is why we have never been upgraded to a suite because where we stay suits us perfectly. They also go out of their way to ensure guest comfort and the buffet breakfast is always a highlight of our stay there.

As well as the breakfasts, their good value dinners and snacks are also encouragement to eat there and there is no real need to go looking for other eating places for a good value feed.

The Health Club and Spa are well appointed and represent good value for money, more so if you indulge in the food on offer and yet maintain the weight you started at before staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you can, always seek an Ocean Facing Room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Bandisa701, Director of Sales at Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Terry S

Greetings from Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel

Thank you for staying with us and making Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel your Bali’s Home away from Home

We appreciate your detailed reviews of your holiday experience. They will be very useful to other travellers when looking for Value for Money accommodation with Strategic Location and great cullinary experience and Spa , excellent Staff service in the centre of Kuta area

We all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel on your next home visit

Wishing you a wonderful time ahead !

Many thanks and with kind regards

E : bandisa@discoverykartikaplaza.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I've stayed in a few other hotels in Kuta, but recently stayed a weekend at this hotel, and I am happy I did.

The room was spacious, clean, big bathroom. Perhaps a few years since they renovated but the hotel not being 'hyper minimalistic-modern' just added to it's charm. Beautiful surroundings, loved the green lush garden and the hotel itself is next to the big Discovery shopping mall. The hotel is south of the most hectic area in Kuta which makes it easier when going to all the great surf breaks on the peninsula.

We stayed in the left wing of the hotel, the view from the balcony was sort of overlooking the backside of the garden, which was fine - meant it was very quiet and we slept very well. I had asked for a king size bed but our room had two queen size beds standing seperately. We were offered to stay one night and change rooms the day after (we arrived at midnight), but we decided to stay since we only were in bali for such a short time. Anyways, the staff fixed it by putting the bed together so we ended up with a huge bed - and no uncomfortable gap in the middle as they put an extra mattress on top.

Breakfast was great, a wide selection of whatever you could wish for. Would have loved to have a choice of proper müesli but that's only a very small criticism. Overall a very good breakfast.

Staff in the hotel is very polite and friendly, and it's always so nice to see all the smiles. Everyone trying to be so accomodating.

But the best thing of all... My husband and I went to bali to have our wedding photos taken. Initally I though of doing it DIY, brought a tripod for the camera to take a couple of photos in the hotel garden. But by chance I ran into the hotel photographer Agus and he was happy to do it.

2 hours later we met up in the hotel garden. I had a few photo locations in mind and Agus was happy to oblige. He also suggested some other spots that we tried. The photosession took 1,5 hrs and I must say thanks to Agus we got the wonderful wedding photos that was just what we wanted! I would never have been able to do it DIY style... The fee we paid for the photos was very affordable and totally worth it.

So thanks Agus for helping us with the wedding photos, you were so optimistic and very patient with us - I'm sure it's not easy getting great shots with two photo model amateurs!

I love going to bali and I'd happily stay in this hotel again!
(sorry everyone for a long review... so many good things to say about this hotel =)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FriedHoneyChicken
Bandisa701, Director of Sales at Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear FriedHoneyChicken

Greetings from sunny Kuta!

Thank you for choosing to stay at Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel and we really appreciate that you taking the time to write your comprehensive reviews

It’s great to have you staying with us and hope that you bring many wonderful memories back home with your wedding photos .

Your holiday review will be very useful to other travellers looking for wonderful holiday experience, value for money accommodation in the center of Kuta Bali

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel in the very near future

Ps . Please feel free to write me a note once you have the date on your next Bali Holiday

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the Kartika on a regular basis since 1997 which in itself speaks volumes. The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Lovely large air conditioned rooms, spotlessly clean. The choice and quality of food at breakfast is excellent, there is something to please everyone. The grounds and large pool area offer both shade and sun in a lovely relaxing environment. Within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants, a peaceful haven in the very heart of Kuta. Can't wait for our next trip this coming October.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jennifer E

Greetings from “home” Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel!

Thank you for making Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel as your Bali Home and we really appreciate that you share your holiday experience and nominate Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel as a peaceful Haven in the very heart of Kuta

Please let us know if you have made your arrangements for the coming October and always feel free to let us know if there can be anything that we can assist from this point onwards for your next Bali home visit

We all look forward to see you in Bali soon !

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Originally wanted to spend 5 nights in this hotel and 4 nights in a different hotel in Nusa Dua. However, after spending just one night in Nusa Dua we returned back as it was hard to beat the quality Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel oferred. First of all, we were upgrated from a basic room to the Disovery Suite, which was huge apartment like room with two bedrooms, large living room, balcony and three bathrooms. Great start to our holiday.
The pool is fantastic and having two small kids, they adored the kids pool with the frog slide. Staff was absolutely brilliant, always smiling and happy to help. There are few restaurants to choose from, all were great and very reasonably priced. Our favorites were La Cucina, Italian and Teppan Noodle Japanese restaurant. The themed buffet dinners are must try, particularly the Deluxe Seafood Buffet for about $35 AUD per person- the selection of fresh and cooked seafood and sweetes was just amazing. Breakfast was just as good with huge selection of western and asian dishes.
Another great feeling was when the Executive Manager Patrick greeted guest in person, certainly that's the way how to improve the services and attract guest to stay in the hotel again. Monday's Manager coctail party is another great gesture for quests.
Spa: one of the best I've been to and I've been to many so far. Beautiful facilities, clean, excellent service, highly recommended. Sauna and fitness free for all guests is another positive.
Overall, exceptionally pleasant stay in DKPH, will definitely be back. THANK YOU!

3 Thank Denisa75
Dear Denisa75

Greetings from Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel!

Thank you for staying at Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel and we really appreciate that you taking the time to write your comprehensive reviews

We are very happy to have you staying with us and appreciate your decision to extend your stay with us . Your recognition to the management and the hotel staff as well as the services will be passed to all of our dedicated team

Your holiday review will definitely be very useful to other travellers when looking for great holiday venue in the center of Kuta Bali

On behalf of all the team we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel soon

With best regards

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was delighted to receive a free upgrade to family suit when I arrived with my family last week. The hotel looked fantastic and the rooms were comfortable.
Everything went well until the day I checked out. First shocker came when I was told by front office staff that security deposit of IDR 1,200,000 charged to my credit card at the time of checking-in, will be credited back after 1-2 weeks of check-out. In my experience I have never left a hotel without settling all amounts including the security deposit. Second shocker came when I was handed over a final bill of IDR 27,000 for a Kit Kat which we never consumed. The amount was small hence I paid but I politely mentioned to the front office that this is a mistake and we never consumed kit kat. I am now back to my home but I am skeptical that I might not get my security deposit back on the context of fictitious charges. The experience left a bitter taste of cheap dishonesty by Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel staff.

3 Thank Naveens9
Bandisa701, Director of Sales at Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Naveens9

Thank you for your review and eventhough so contrary to most of the reviews that we have been receiving in regard to the hotel staff

Herewith we would like to clarify about the Credit Card charge : Receptionist will advise the guest whether they would like to give deposit by credit card or cash upon check in to guarantee the hotel room charge and/or Personal Expenses during stay

it’s a normal hotel practice when you give your Credit Card as the guarantee of your Hotel Charge or Personal Expense upon check in. Then there will be credit card verification in which hotel will do to guarantee personal expenses during stay .

If hotel room charge /personal expenses settled by different method of payment , this Credit Card verification transaction will be released upon check out by sending the cancellation request to our local bank and it may takes approximately 1-2 weeks according to the local Bank
This is the Bank procedure that we need to follow as it involves the local Bank here and the Bank issuer of the Credit Card

Please feel free to contact us directly if we could be of any further assistance on this matter

Director of Sales & Ecommerce
E: bandisa@discoverykartikaplaza.com
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed in DKPH for 5 days for our anniversary. I'm very happy I chose DKPH. The anniversary greeting when we entered the room was perfect! my fiance fell inlove with the place, overall we were really happy.

People say the internet is slow, to be honest, I didn't feel that it was slow, I'm not sure what they are doing but using it with just normal browsing (and some youtube) it's more than enough.
The breakfast was really good, the variety of food is okay but the quality is exceptional. The most memorable experience for me with this hotel was their very friendly staff, from the security guards to the maintenance guys, everyone is just so accommodating.

Love the place, Love the people!

Room Tip: Left wing rooms are better if you are looking for a more quiet surrounding
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bandisa701, Director of Sales at Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Karl_x13

Greetings from Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel!

Thank you for your choosing to stay at Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel on your Anniversary

We appreciate that we are given the opportunity to be part of your Anniversary celebration and nominate Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel as Best Hotel in Kuta

Your recommendation and room tips will be good reference for other travellers on finding what room to book

We all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel in not too distant future

Director of Sales & Ecommerce
E: bandisa@discoverykartikaplaza.com
Malaysia
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed in DKPH last week. went with husband and 8 months baby. Location is nearby to airport and facing the beach. It s a little further from the famous stretch of pantai kuta.
We had a great experience from the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out. We really wished could have stayed longer. The best thing about this hotel are the staffs, right from receptionist, bell boy, security, house keeping, ...etc..etc...everyone seems so friendly and even my 8 months daughter had a great time as everyone entertained her. We stayed at the garden pool view room. Room was spotless,cozy and comfortable. Only down side was our bath tub had some staining. We bathed our daughter beside the bathtub and we didnt realize that it didnt have a draining system so the bathroom was flooded and we called housekeeping and immediately they attended to our problem. The next day we actually bathed her again as only at that time we realized the draining system( usually all the hotel WE stayed had draining system for the bathroom floor and also bath tub). we requested to change room and they gave us the same type of room but this time nearby to the pool.We were very happy.

Another thing to praise was, we had ice pack with us to keep milk( breast milk) , they helped us to keep in the hotel freezer and didnt mind getting it out and keep it back everyday. Whenever we request to get it back, the service was quite fast. I would say that this hotel definitely is a breastfeeding friendly hotel. Thumbs up!
I would be coming back again to Bali and definitely staying here again and this time bringing our friends too.

We would have gotten trapped by a scam at discovery mall. a man gave us two cards to open. one card said we won two tshirt and another card said that we won a mystery price which could be usd 1500/ usd 500 voucher / ipad/ hotel stay at peninsula 7days. We googled and found out such scam had happened before and thanks to our tour guide mr patra for asking us to google regarding this issue. So please be beware every one.

Room Tip: loved the private garden pool view room, left wing
1 Thank Mys3
Dear Mys3

Greetings from Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel!

We are very happy to have you and your family staying with us and appreciate your recognition on the hotel facilities, staff and management as well as the services which we will pass to all of our dedicated team. It’s part of our service standard that we strive to meet and exceed our guest expectation

Thank you also for your room tips, constructive feedback and for sharing your experience for other traveller’s awareness

On behalf of all Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel family member, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back soon

With best regards