Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel
Dewi Sri Hotel(Kuta)(Great Value!)
$40
$34
Agoda.com
Maharani Beach Hotel(Kuta)(Great Value!)
$73
$31
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
$81
$68
Agoda.com
Kuta Paradiso Hotel(Kuta)(Great Value!)
$89
$69
Agoda.com
Hard Rock Hotel Bali(Kuta)
$157
$138
Agoda.com
Risata Bali Resort & Spa(Kuta)(Great Value!)
$58
$83
$77
$72
$66
Travelocity
  • Pool
Grand Inna Kuta(Kuta)(Great Value!)
$89
$65
Poppies Bali(Kuta)(Great Value!)
$92
$77
  • Breakfast included
2,384 results
All reviewstepan noodlela cucinaocean facingpool barpool staffshopping mallsecond homefamily suitekids poolbuffet breakfastwaterbom parkfantastic hotelkuta beachkids clubspecial thanksnusa duagreat pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Spent 6 nights of my Honeymoon at this hotel and I had a mixed experience.

We booked through Hotel.com and after we had paid, hidden in the terms and conditions there was a note to say that the hotel will charge an additional amount for a new year's meal. This turned out to be a whopping $400 USD for me and my wife! A brutal hidden cost that this hotel should be ashamed of. I paid but asked to speak to the manager to get an explanation of why this mandatory cost is tagged on. She had no sense of customer service - she just ignored my questions and said we should have read the terms and conditions over and over again. Whilst this may be true - nobody would expect a $400 in there. If she simply had have shown ANY sympathy and said something like "I can see how this might be unclear, we'll contact the website and inform them that this should be made clearer" or something similar, it would have been fine. Instead we were basically treated like idiots and asked what we want her to do about it as if we were after something other than a simple explanation.

The new year's meal itself was a cheesy night of hotel staff dressed as star trek characters, bad cabaret, a speech from the manager talking about how great the hotel is and how they have won a number of awards, and a magician 'magical' levitation machine failed. It was a good buffet... but at the end of the day a $400 buffet for 2 people! What a con! Made a complaint through there website which comes up with an automated message saying they will respond as soon as possible but I never rececived a response.

Rooms 3/5

A little dated but overall nice, I paid for an ocean view and could not see a litre of ocean due to trees being in the way though. Avoid room 2004. Internet was completely hopeless. You were lucky to get a webpage loading in 10 minutes and the room was the closest room to the main building so not sure where you have to be to get a good connection. Some minor things added a little to the irritation that probably would have gone ignored had it not been for my experience on arrival; e.g. no conditioner provided for my wife, no iron or press provided - they charge for pressing instead, laundry ended up arriving 3 days after being sent off etc.

Location 3/5

In the bustling metropolis of Kuta. Next to a big mall if you want that kind of thing. Less than 5 mins to the start of Kuta beach. They describe themselves of having a 'private beach' but this is just some sand they've put in the middle of the grass with a bar. Lots of good bars and restaurants in the area and right across the road from the water park.

Service 4/5

Generally very friendly and attentive in typical Indonesian fashion. Just avoid the management.

Facilities 4/5

Nice pool with swim up bar, a selection of restaurants and a ton of deckchairs to relax in the sunshine.

Could have been a nice stay but with the experience with the manager and the way overpriced cheesy 90's style holiday camp new years was enough to put me off for life.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tom_is_on_holiday
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed for 7 nights at the discovery kartika plaza,this december.it was absolutey awesome.the resort is stunning.the service was excellent.the rooms are spotlessly clean.the gardens are immaculate.my kids loved the kids club.the spa offered reasonably priced treatments.the staff was super friendly and very helpful.the location is really good,the ocean view in front and the malls ,markets a stones throw away.kuta is crazy busy ,but when staying at this resort you would never know.the resort is an excellent choice for those who want the best of both.well done to the staff.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Shamima A
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in Bali. Thank goodness only staying 1 night in Discovery. We barely able to sleep due to the loud music nextdoor (District Karaoke). The music went on until 3 am!!
The room itself very small and old dated, very overpriced for its quality. The balcony is very tiny space that can barely handle towel rack.

Given room with parking lot view. Staff indifference to guest complaints.
Never stay here again despite close proximity to Discovery Mall. There are so many better place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lee5050
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotel a day as a gift from a friend, and I really enjoyed staying there. The outlook of the resorts is fabulous and you will certainly be dazzled by the picturesque of its surroundings. This resort is ideal not just for business travelers but also honeymooners, big families, group of friends or even governmental people. All the staff seemed to love having conversation with the guests, made me feel welcome. They are so friendly and chatty that you will never be bored in their company.

Room Tip: Try the beach front
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We had to come back to Bali from another Indonesian island, 2 days before Christmas.
Try to find a room in Kuta that close to Christmas!

Well Discovery Kartika Plaza had one waiting for us!
The reservation on a bad quality phone from my side was really efficient, they even offered me a better price than what I've found directly on their website.

It is an expensive hotel (I wouldn't be surprised if you could find some earlybirds/last minute offers online though) but you get what you pay for!

The security at the entry, the massive fountain and this gigantic lobby are just a few features making you already feel the luxury of this place and welcome you by putting a smile on your face!

The staff was always smiling, friendly and helpful. We were treated like a real 5 star hotel should treat you!

We had a Deluxe Room on the South Side, it was a bit of a walk from the elevator and the lobby but it didn't matter at all! We have time as we are on holidays!
The room was spacious with a big LCD-TV, a real king-size bed, and a decent bathroom with a big shower and all the body products you could imagine.
The balcony glass-door had also wooden doors to get a real dark room at night and during the day to offer you the best sleeping conditions! You wouldn't get them if it had curtains!
The housekeeping team was making animals with towels and it was always a happy surprise to come back to our room to a beautiful monkey on the balcony door or a beautiful heart shaped sculpture on the bed. We were in love with this detail! Beautiful touch! Bravo!

The swimming-pool is not big. It is HUGE! Ocean view, plenty of sunbeds, swim-up bar with about 15 chairs and wonderful staff.
Too many kids at the pool to my taste for the price we pay for this kind of hotels but I guess they are allowed to go on holidays too!

The Discovery Kartika has 3 restaurants and 2 bars.
We only tried the Pond restaurant as it is where you eat breakfast.
This was a life-saver! The best breakfast we ate in Bali! Separated in 3 zones (Asian food, Western food and healthy food), there is something for everyone! Absolutely delicious!
The coffee was still average but hey it's Bali, don't expect to drink a good coffee there anyway!
Only deception: it is missing some key food components to a breakfast: no peanut butter, no Nutella, no Vegemite, no bananas in the fruit section.
We tried the 2 bars.
Tupai Bar is located next to the lobby and was offering good Lattés for my partner, vintage glass coke bottles for myself and delicious sandwiches and tapas (please try those wedges and those nachos you won't regret it)
Kul Kul Pool Bar had amazing cocktails (special honors to the Bananarama cocktail), the best cocktails we drank in Bali! The staff was amazing. They were so friendly and chatty and played board games with us while we were drinking. We had a great time there!
Overall, drinks and food are a lot pricier than other hotels and bars/restaurant! If you don't want to leave the hotel, you will spend a small fortune there! But I am also confident you will not end up sick if you eat at this hotel!

The Fitness center is at the same location as the Spa.
We didn't try the spa but we went to the fitness center.
They have a big variety of gym equipment for a hotel. Everything seemed close to brand-new.
We also played squash and tennis there. You can also play table tennis if you wish.
Only disappointment: they charge you to hire squash and tennis equipment and it is not cheap at all! IDR100.000 per person per hour ($10 AUD per person per hour).
For a hotel of this class you would assume they let you use the equipment and they would charge you only if you damage it. The price of the room is high enough in my opinion to cover 1 hour of tennis and 1 hour of squash.

The WiFi reception and quality was really good pretty much everywhere. The best reception from our room was on the balcony.

They have free umbrellas in the room. Thank you, we had a lot of rain around Christmas!

This hotel is perfectly located. 1min walk to Discovery Mall, quality hotels/bars/restaurants/spas within 10-15min walk radius, 10min walk from Kuta Square (or IDR10.000 by Taxi). We used the taxi only once because of heavy rains!

Some negative points about Discovery Kartika Plaza:
- no staff walked us to our room on arrival (disappointing for a 5-star hotel)
- our airport transfer was not waiting for us with a sign, I've had to call the hotel for the guy to show up (waste of time and money - they still charged me $10 or $20 for it)
- no bath in the bathroom - shower only
- no separate toilet
- hiring some sports equipment is extra money to pay (considering the price of the stay, it should be included)
Also, those negative points didn't ruin the overall experience but it would be appreciated if it was taken into consideration for our next stay.

Overall, we loved Discovery Kartika Plaza. This will definitely be our first choice hotel next time we plan to go to Bali. Hopefully, we may be able to find some attractive packages with a more attractive price. This is a real 5 star hotel!
I would love to be able to afford coming back there next time and I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Mostly couples as it is a romantic place and also because I don't believe in 5 star hotels being suited for kids!

Room Tip: Pay extra for pool or ocean view if you can afford it
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple