“another visit to kartika”

Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel
Ranked #5 of 252 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed June 26, 2008

I have stayed at discovery kartika plaza a few times over the last 4 yrs, most recent was 4 nights in june and on night on the way home,
I'm getting to know the bell staff and the front desk staff since I've been every year for the last 4.
They do a great job at the hotel but it may just be me, but I remember just about all the staff saying hello when walking into the front of the hotel, and this year it didn't seem like they were quite as attendive, although it may just be my imagination.
The hotel seems to be managed by a german company or something as all the senior staff is european/german.
AS most have mentions the hotel's rooms are clean and roomy, grounds are right on the beach very near the access to the local surfspots reefs off to the left of the hotel.....
all in all a good stay, if not getting a bit pricey,
4 yrs ago it was 75.00 and night , it is now more like 125.00 USD
that's at a corp discount.
Most who have been to bali know that you can find very decent accomodation for much less , if you look around a bit.......
but for a once a year splurge......kartika is nice

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank mauislick

Reviewed June 3, 2008

We stayed in the Ocean Facing Room, which you should know by now from other ppl's review, is a room that do not face the ocean unless you stick your neck way out of the balcony. However, I called them about this and expected this. As we entered the room, I can tell you that it was clean; tidy; spacious; king size bed;and a big chair/ table set beside the 4th floor balcony.
About breakfast, I agree with most of the reviewers, it was a fantastic breakfast. Again, for those that don't like the food, seriously, this is Bali, NOT a FIVE STAR HOTEL IN N.AMerica or Europe, so of course the food is not exactly the same of the gourmet food you'd find in its home country. I can say the same thing about Malay cuisine in Toronto, which is not exactly the same, but still ok tasting.

We never ate dinner at the hotel because it is expensive. Well, not really if you have Euro currency. We had 5 people so didn't bother with dinner there, we ate at Kartika Plaza (the shopping mall).

An exceptional facility for me at DKP was the pool. Please swim in the pool morning, day, AND night. \

My personal advice to travellers, PLEASE dont' take an offer from any taxi drivers who says that they can give you a cheaper offer for a day tour!!!!!! PLease please please, even if you're safe, you might have to BRIBE POLICE officers along the trip. Don't ask me how I know! If you're on the tour bus, when you go to Ubud, NOTHING should be over 100,000 Rupiah. I look like a local, but my sis does not. And in almost ev'ry place we went, she got charged extremely higher than me.

I love the scenery in Bali, but there was too many people trying to sell us things at ridiculous prices. The only peaceful place is literally within the compound of the hotel. As soon as you go out of the hotel, taxi drivers all compete to offer you rides, which you should be careful of and SHOULD book ahead before arriving in Bali and before you go back to the airport. So book a taxi with the hotel, because if anything happens, they should at least have some responsibility in choosing the driver.

Again, just stay in hotel after you take the tour bus ride. If you go to a spa, go to the hotel's spa or some other HOTEL's spa, NOT private spa.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Iban-Torontonian
Reviewed April 16, 2008

I recently travelled to Indonesia for work, staying overnight (twice) at the Discovery Kartika before heading off to Sumbawa.

I arrived at the Kartika, after a long journey from London. The room was ready and waiting for my tired body to rest. The shower was large, bathroom clean (on par with Mandarin Oriental bathrooms), and marbled.

The bedroom was quite spacious and was adorned with interesting pictures of topless ladies - all in an artistic fashion - perhaps a local delicacy!

The room had a balcony with a slight sea view.

The hotel has all the features and facilities required for a business traveller too, computers, swimming pool, meeting rooms.

Its all good, but a bit boring. I wouldnt recommend staying longer than a few nights. Plus Kuta is a bit like benidorm, Australias playground. The rest of Bali is lovely though.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Lancsthorn1
Reviewed March 24, 2008

We arrive at 16:00 and being told that our room wasn't ready.
It took 45 minutes + 2 times back and fort to front desk till it is ready.
Room is clean but amenity is average (no tooth brush? for 4 stars hotel? ).
The tap water is salty and un-drinkable.
in fact the shower water too.

facility is good
view is average
location is good
breakfast is good (they did serve a lot of kind of cuisine international + local touch in rotation) - one won't feel bored if you stay there for 1 week.

consider the price + what we got - for us the hotel is above average.

• Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank vprimush
Reviewed March 1, 2008

This is the 6th -maybe 7th time we have stayed at The Kartika and it seems to get better all the time. It is our home away from home. Very laid back and comfortable. Wonderful staff. The grounds are immaculate and the room- ground floor private garden pool view room- was fantastic. Every thing is close by. The themed buffet nights were great. We took our 4 year old and she loved every minute of it. Pool food was good and you can choose between Japanese or the pool menu or the italian restaurant menu. The sushi was yummy !! The location is the best too. BOOK IT !!!! I am back there again in 7 weeks for a girls 10 nights away-- cant wait.xx

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
8  Thank truthtellerAustralia
Reviewed February 17, 2008

We stayed at the Discovery Kartika Plaza over the New Year for 9 nights. This was our 3rd time at this hotel and I would stay there again if we return to Bali. It is in a great location with a 24 hr mini mart across the road, Discovery Plaza shopping Centre next door and plenty of shopping around the hotel. The pool area is beautiful. The staff were lovely and always make us feel welcome. I would reccommend the hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Yvonne O
Reviewed February 16, 2008

My partner and I have just come back from Bali and stayed 7 nights at the Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel, South Kuta. We really enjoyed our stay here, comfortable rooms, great pool area (big pool) and close to restaurants, bars, shops & markets.

The buffet breakfast at the hotel is excellent, anything you can think of is there. The Kul Kul Pool Bar is also very good, great to relax around the bar with a cool drink on a hot day - reasonable prices too. The pizzas from the Italian restaurant were also brilliant! We shared a pizza and had a couple of cold Bintang beers for lunch (served around the pool) - couldn't be more relaxing than that.

We had a couple of massages in the beach hut by the beach, approx AUD$ 27 for 1 hr. Great to relax with a massage and listening to the waves from the sea.

The beach here is not brilliant, it has brown sand, but it is OK to swim here. You can walk a little further towards Kuta and the sand is a little bit better.

The Discovery Kartika also has a gym, looked good, did intend to use it ..... but ran out of time .....

We had a "Oceanview" room, well it sort of had ocean view. You could see the ocean through the trees & bushes. The gardens around the hotel are very well kept.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay. Comfortable rooms, nice & clean, close to everything. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple