“Terrific first family holiday accomodation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Bali

Hard Rock Hotel Bali
Ranked #23 of 250 Hotels in Kuta
Perth, Australia
“Terrific first family holiday accomodation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Like others, I was somewhat concerned about the fairly polarised reviews on this site, so my expectations were kept in check. Overall, I was very pleased by almost all facets of our stay.
We primarily chose the Hard Rock because of its central location, as we wanted to be able to walk everywhere (which we did).
Airport transfer (at 2am) was flawless, as was check in.
Our ground floor Deluxe Premium room was sufficiently big (2 x QS) for my wife & I, plus a 11 & 6 year old. It was clean, and while there was a faint musty smell (as others have remarked), it really was not too noticeable and certainly didn't impact the quality of our stay. We specifically asked for a quiet room and it was certainly that - we never once heard any music coming from Centre Stage so don't be put off by the 'on site' nightclub.
Food was great (& good value because under 12's eat free), although the Starz Diner buffet selection for very fussy eaters is not huge and the delicious cheese cakes etc tend to disappear pretty early in the night.
Swimming pool(s) are indescribably awesome! If you love the water, don't look elsewhere in Kuta - really!
All the staff were genuinely friendly and helpful - this really makes a difference to your holiday.
The kids clubs looked excellent - we actually booked (& paid) for both of our kids to attend as part of the online hotel booking, but it turned out Miss 6 didn't want to participate, and Miss 11 was too old for the kids club but too young for the teenagers club :( (they are strict about their age limits, which isn't obvious on the web site).
In summary, very happy with the hotel, but admittedly don't have many other reference points in Kuta.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brad I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This Hotel has the best pools in Bali. Great for the kids and families.The cabannas are great but are expensive, but highly recommend you book one at least once.
Food around the pool is expensive, and you are charged for ice if you want it to come in anything bigger than a glass.
Security search you each time you go to the pool in case you have any cool drinks on you and they are confiscated, so they make sure they get every last penny from you.
Kids club is great but also an added cost of attendance and some activities.

Room Tip: Room are tiny! Make sure you stay away from centre stage, as it is very noisy at night.
1 Thank Ginetta P
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place has an amazing pool area and is in a great location. But the drink prices are ridiculously expensive in comparison to other places in Bali. The rooms could do with a revamp. But great place to stay if you drink elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank jdst
GeneralManagerHRHB, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Bali, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay at Hard Rock Hotel Bali and kind comments on our pool, which is Bali's largest free-form swimming pool with its own Sand Island.

For the benefit of other readers, please be informed that bar prices vary from bars to entertainment venues. The Hard Rock Hotel Bali choose to be a responsible server of alcoholic spirits and only buys ‘genuine’ products from bona fide distributors who pay the custom and excise tax. Unfortunately, this tax is the most exorbitant compared to most ASEAN countries. Being a Moslem nation is also another reason. Furthermore, our rooms have undergone complete refurbishment in 2012 to Hard Rock International brand standards.

We look forward to welcome you back soon to the Hard Rock Hotel Bali. Thank you again for taking time to share your feedback, which we very much appreciate.

Love All - Serve All
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

It's ideally located!
Speaking about Kuta, I don't see other choices as other hotels tend to wear out fast.
Rooms are just terrible...
Clean but much too simple especially for the price...
Service is fair but the staff is very friendly.
It is a mixed experience but not a bad one...

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank JMADeromedi
Bunbury, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 10 days in April 2013 with my family including 6 children (age range 3 - 16).
The reasons I would recommend this hotel for families is:
1: Without doubt the outstanding feature of this hotel is the wonderful staff. This was my first visit to Bali and I was a little apprehensive prior to arrival. Any anxiety that I had was immediately relieved on arriving at the hotel. The staff made me feel like I was a member of their family staying in their home. Their hospitality was second to none. Nothing was too much trouble and they all seemed to want to serve. I have never before experienced the high level of service offered by this hotel despite staying at many hotels (inc 5 star) around the world. The service was quite simply outstanding and well above industry standard. In addition, those who have stayed in Bali would be familiar with the wonderful good nature, friendliness, warmth, infectious optimism and good humour of the Balinese. This was evident in all the staff, they are simply wonderfully warm people. In addition when it comes to welcoming children all the staff went out of their way to make my children welcome and meet their needs. They genuinely seemed to love children. All the staff should be credited for this outstanding level of service. I would particularly like to acknowledge the duty manager; George; who made extra effort to accomodate my requests including organising my late checkout.

2: I stayed in 2 adjacent deluxe premium rooms. The hotel accomodated my booking request of 2 adjacent rooms with queen beds away from the centrestage bar. The rooms were of the standard expected for a 4 star hotel and were well maintained. During my stay the housekeeping was excellent and the staff member concerned accomodated all of my additional requests - again outstanding service.

3: Stuff for the kids - my children (up to age 11) thoroughly enjoyed the kids club with my younger children begging me every morning to attend. The club runs a daily programme with a variety of activities from craft, movies, rock climbing (on the wall), afternoon games around the pool etc. Again the staff in the kids club really seem to love children and welcomed and cared for my children with warmth. I felt happy leaving my children with the wonderful staff. The older kids enjoyed the pool and watching movies (the hotel rent DVD players) but the TV channel selection in the rooms is outstanding including the FOX pay TV service.

4: The food. My accomodation included breakfast in the starz diner and the most of my kids ate for free with dinner in the diner (1 child under 12 eats for free for each paying adult and those enrolled in kids club (for which there is a modest charge) also eat for free. This made for a very economical stay with my large family.
The breakfast buffet is of a very high standard. The food is very well prepared and presented and includes beautiful fruit, cereals, full usual western style cooked and a high standard asian style cooked breakfast (noodles, curries, etc). The dinner buffet was again a very high standard featuring a full array of Asian food. I must say I was very impressed with the standard of the food. Again the staff from the culinary team were friendly and provided a high standard of service. The waiting staff were again outstanding in their service.

5: Great family relaxing atmosphere - I must say that I was a little apprehensive before arriving at the resort. I was concerned that the hotel would be a hard rocking, hard partying kind of place. This was not the case. Well I have to say that from my perspective this was the best family holiday I have enjoyed. The hotel atmosphere encourages relaxation and with so much for the kids to do my wife and I could genuinely relax. The staff make every effort to encourage you to relax. All the other guests seem to have enjoyed themselves and there certainly weren't any offensive intoxicated bogans which seem to be the "Kuta folklore". The place was frequented by very pleasant guests from all over the world: Russia, China, Japan, Australia, etc. I wanted to relax and hang out and certainly you would not need to leave the resort if you didn't want to. However if you want to take tours / explore the island the tours desk at the hotel can arrange everything. Additionally the concierge can arrange transport that is immediately at hand 24 /7. I certainly felt like I could relax safely. I must also acknowledge the hotel security. I had some concern about safety in Bali following previous terrorist attacks. The hotel is well secured with very pleasant yet attentive security personnel on every entrance. At night this is additionally supplemented with; again; pleasant Indonesian police officers. I felt very safe. The hotel have also sensibly positioned an AED at reception (great for me as a middle aged male) and have a medical centre on site.

6: Position - the hotel is well positioned in the heart of Kuta (just next to kuta square) yet is across the road (literally) from the beach. I think this is a much nicer part of town than where some of the other family hotels in Tuban (the beach is nicer than that around the Discovery plaza) and the road is easier to cross (being one way). I was able to walk every where and I took full advantage of the beach. I found the beach great for swimming & surfing with surf lifesavers well positioned along the beach. Just remember to swim between the flags - there is big swell at times and this can produce some big rips.

7: The pool - the brochure and website is correct - the pool is huge, well designed and very pleasant. The kids never got bored playing in it. Additionally it was so large that I was even able to do laps. The swim up bar was again great for an afternoon drink.

Without doubt I would recommend this hotel to any family wanting a well priced family holiday.

The bad points:
1: The food at the Splash bistro - in my opinion the food here was not of the same high standard as the starz diner. The nasi goreng, singapore noodles & lobster tagliatelli were good but the other offerings were a bit wanting. This could be improved.

2:The kids club smelt very musty (the club is on the shady side of the building and in the tropics this can occur) and on one morning the last evenings food plates were still stacked up. Also the kids get a reusable drink bottle which they can fill with water, sodas and slushies. These bottles are not cleaned and given the tap water issue in Bali this caused me some concern. Additionally the mineral water cooler dispenser in also has a hot water dispenser at kid height (this is a safety issue). Whilst these points are minor it could put some parents off.

3: The Bali Water - don't drink the water in Bali unless you want to get sick. This led me to consuming industrial quantities of bottled mineral water. I am a little concerned about the environmental impact of all these utilised bottles. I would ask that the hotel consider having water coolers around the hotel to refill these bottles until the Indonesian government invest in decent reticulated water.

4: The chill out pool - the birds love to roost above this pool at night. This means the pool area gets full of bird crap. The pool maintenance and other staff are very attentive about fixing this up in the morning but I really didn't want to swim there. Maybe the hotel should consider getting rid of the palms?

Finally what made this holiday for me was the wonderful staff at the hotel. Their warmth and very personal service made this the best family holiday I have ever enjoyed. I would suggest that Australian hoteliers look to this level of service and value as a benchmark. As a nation we could learn so much from the Bainese!

Room Tip: I paid a little more for a deluxe premium room. These rooms along with the suites are located in the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank dradam007
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We have just spent the past week at the hotel and are about to check out....

Having read many reviews of the Hardrock Bali we were not sure what to expect of the hotel, but most of our concerns were not issues.

We read much about smelly rooms and hallways, we did not notice any smells at all, in fact I would say the opposite and the hotel was very clean and neat.

We read many reviews that mentioned the breakfast was a free for all, didnt think it was that bad even when almost at capacity. Breakfast was pretty standard, unfortunatley the same every day, most places change slightly every day or alternate between a few things for variety, but not here, I would also say that the food is pretty tasteless.

While I would say that in general the hotel is nice, it is showing its age and would not take much effort to really get it up to a 5 start hotel, not sure why they dont do it.

The staff are all very friendly and cant say a bad word about them.

The room, we stayed in a premier Pool Access room. Again clean, but small.

We had originally booked a standard Premier room, but were offered an upgrade to the Pool Access room for an extra $40 a night, thought that would be nice. BUT as when we arrived at the room the door to the pool was blocked by the sun beds. When they say two sunbeds they actually mean one very long sundbed that takes up an entire wall of the room...the wall that has the pool access door!!!

We called guest relations immediatley and asked to be moved or at least have the sunbed(s) taken out so we could use the door, but were told no other rooms avaulable and they couldnt remove the sunbeds. That was dissapointing.

So all I would say is beaware of this issue with the sunbed(s) in pool access rooms, you will spend your time jumping over a knee high matteress each time you go to use the chillout pool and drip water everywhere coming back in again :) I dont get the logic to this set up?

Besides that the room was pretty basic, but did the job.

Pools are great for the kids, absolutley huge and loved the sand in the pool and the sand island, never seen that before. You have to pay to use the Cabanas, anywhere bewteen $25 and $40 a day, while there are free sunbeds if you dont want the privacy.

You have to pass through security station to get to the pool, all depends on who is on the job. Some let you straight past, others check your bags. some ask your room number, but make up a number as they dont actually check anything...whats the point other than annoying your guests?

You are not allowed to take your own food and drink into the pool area, thats pretty poor. if they catch you then you either have to leave it at security or throw it away...and you thought going through airport security was painful....

You cant also take pool towels out of the pool area, they will however let you walk off dripping wet and into the hotel that is fully tiled and let all the other hotel guests slip over and fracture their skulls, but at least they wont loose their pool towels I guess (they are not worth taking anyway)

WIFI is still an issue, it is forever up and down, that is painfull.

Sounds like I am having a shot at them, not meant to sound like that. If you have kids then it really is a hard place to beat, its nice, clean, but a little tired. They do some strange things at this hotel, but not a deal breaker. Next time I will not get a Pool Access room, but there will be a next time because this is quite a good place, oh and the location for Kuta shopping just cant be beaten...its perfect.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Hard Rock Hotel Bali and kind comments on our pool, which is Bali's largest free-form pool with its own Sand Island.

We're pleased to know that you and the whole family enjoyed your stay despite few issues raised. We shared your feedback with our colleagues and will endeavor to manage them better.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback, which we very much appreciate.

Love All - Serve All
Broadbeach, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

hi all just came back from 10 nights in suite room hard rock bali ,'fantastic 'room cleaned twice a day to perfection,super friendly staff ''must mention gdae waiter on the cabbanas 'you rock' best service ever .if you book suite room you have the choice of two eating places 'around the pool or upstairs .we sat up stairs buffet awesome heaps of choice ''even chicken curry''for breakfast'then tried down stairs around pool stayed rest of holiday there,but all good ,when booking dont forget your voucher that they give you it takes 50% of the hire which is $18 till 4 oclock ,you can book cabbannas for a romantic dinner .we did not do it but my daughter and boyfriend did they really enjoyed it ,great food and service from gdae,cost $60 for two including a glass of wine each reccommended if you like sea food ,when in bali go to potatoe head for the day real relaxing quality,make sure you take plenty of money 'lol' hard rock is exspensive compared to a lot of other places in bali ,but the location is the best available ,heaps of shops and beach straight across the road,this is the second time we have stayed at hard rock and would definatly stay there again '''ROCK ON '''HAVE A ROCKIN GOOD TIME ''''ALL STAFF ARE AWESOME''

Room Tip: if you have small children ask for a room far from centre stage as can be noisy