“Average”

Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta
Ranked #64 of 250 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed March 8, 2014

A badly designed hotel. Rooms on the top floor must be accessed by stairs. Rooms are small. If you want to read in bed, forget it. The lights are useless. Having a balcony is lovely. Breakfast is fine but with the worse tea I've ever had. Staff are all very friendly & helpful. The location is good if you're here to shop. It's close to Discovery Mall. We got this hotel through Hotwire. I didn't realize it wasn't by the water. In fact, you don't even know there's a beach nearby. You could be anywhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
SunIslandhotelkuta, General Manager at Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Masca,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel Kuta!

Thank you for posting a review on us and for bringing your concerns to my attention. I am saddened to know that your stay with us was not satisfactory. In response to your comment regarding our room size, it is mentioned on our website that our room is 25 sqm in size, whereas our suite is 60 sqm. I am sorry that this did not meet your expectation. Your concern with regards to the tea has been acknowledged and will be one of references to improve our services and facilities in the future. Despite the inconveniences you experienced, I am glad that you still found our staff friendly and helpful. Please rest assured that we take our guests' reviews seriously and will keep improving all aspects of our service and facilities. I am hoping that you will still consider staying with us in the future.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here and I dont think we had a good night sleep the whole trip. With the noise from the road works outside to the noise from the restaurant inside we had no chance. We even bought ear plugs to wear at night. Not much of a romantic trip. We paid the extra for a pool access room. There was no privacy with this room at all. If you were getting dressed in your room and didnt close the curtains properly the people eating breakfast can see you!! Not once did I get served for a cocktail whilst sitting on my balcony whereas people sitting by the pool did. No one wanted to serve me. I was waiving my arms and calling to staff but no one would take my order. So in the end I would go across the road to the mini mart and buy alcohol to bring back to my room. So in summary I wouldnt stay here again.

Room Tip: Dont bother with a pool access room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
SunIslandhotelkuta, General Manager at Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Sherbert903,

Greetings from the lively side of Bali!

Thank you for your review. I am sad to learn that your getaway in our hotel was below your expectation. In relation to your comment regarding the street construction, please kindly be informed that it had been completed by the end of last year. I am sorry that you felt neglected at our restaurant, but I assure you that it was nothing intentional. Your comment has been acknowledged by the department concerned so as to raise staff’s alertness to our guests’ needs. Once again, thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I am hoping that you will plan another getaway with us in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Clean and modern rooms. We were upgraded for free to pool facing room with balcony. Not enough staff, especially at breakfast restaurant where the few there would try not to make eye contact and it was hard to get coffee. Pool closes strictly at 8pm even if you're being quiet where other hotels will be lenient on this. The music in the restaurant however is very loud and goes until midnite. We were at back of hotel and could still hear. For price, not too bad but not as good as other hotels in the area for similar or less per night.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Bec E,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel Kuta!

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your compliment on our rooms; however I am saddened to learn that some other experiences were not as pleasant. In response to your comment regarding our staff at restaurant, the department in question has been notified to take corrective measures so that no other guests should feel neglected at any occasion. Our restaurant does have live entertainment on certain nights during the week and weekend, and according to our standard it ends at 10:00 pm. I understand how annoying it must have been, but I am guessing that the music you heard came from one of the many restaurants nearby. Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention, as this will give us a chance to pay attention to details we might have missed. Please rest assured, we always strive for excellence and our guests’ wellbeing is one of our utmost concerns. I hope the recent experience will not deter you from visiting us again in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had the room that had access to the pool.
We enjoyed our stay very much.
Great location. Very close to Discovery Mall.
Room rate is reasonable.
There is parking for those who decides to rent a car.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Kachanktiger,

Greetings from downtown Kuta!

What pleasant news coming from you, and we truly appreciate your time sharing your experience. Thank you for your compliments. It was great to know that you loved your Deluxe Pool Access Room. We’re looking forward to your next stay!

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed with friends. Excellent position and competitive price. A little noisy at times but that's Kuta. Service was above average. Desk most obliging and helped organise golf for us in a moment. Breakfast was good without being exceptional. Stayed a pool access and was good. Overall I would recommend this to anyone.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Duro21

Dear Duro21,

Greetings from Kuta, Bali!

What pleasant news from you, and we truly appreciate that. Thank you for saying positive word on our services and facilities. However, what matters most is the fact that you had a wonderful time. My team and I are looking forward to your next getaway with us.
All the best,

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We really enjoy our stay in this hotel. The staffs were really amazing. Service was really good. Just as we arrived there is a refreshing welcome drink which was really nice. We been able to check-in early. The room is clean, with soft bed and pillows. Pool is not so big, yet good enough for a short swim after a day activity. Breakfast is ok.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear lee yhan,

Greetings from the fun side of Bali!

Thank you for choosing to stay at Sun Island Hotel Kuta and sharing your experience. I am delighted to learn that your stay was pleasant. My team and I are always looking forward to welcoming you back to our fun and friendly hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Recently stayed three night and was ok but not overly impressed. Service was really good - definitely no faults there - breakfast was ok and pool area was fine,but found my room was on the small side and included lots of walking up and down stairs to reach it (only one lift at front of hotel and we were way out the back). We overlooked the side of the Dynasty hotel and had to listen to someone on a loud speaker throughout most of the day including a 6:00am start one morning (wasn't happy with that little event at all). Because the rooms surrounded the pool it was very noisy and echoed a lot. Very convenient to the shopping centre, Kuta markets, water bom etc., but probably wouldn't stay again or maybe just as an overnighter.

Room Tip: Not near the Dynasty Hotel side that for sure!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear debkay01,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel Kuta!

It was very unfortunate that you did not experience a flawless, memorable stay with us. I am not very certain if what you meant the noise was coming from Discovery next door instead? In any case, it shouldn’t have happened, and I hope the inconvenience did not spoil your vacation in general. Thank you for sharing your experience and insight to other travelers. I am hoping that you will still consider staying with us in your next Bali getaway. In the meantime, I am wishing you and your family a wonderful time.

Best regards,
Ismullah, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Sun Island Hotel & Spa Legian
Kuta Paradiso Hotel
#42 of 250 in Kuta
The Kuta Beach Heritage Hotel Bali - Managed by Accor
White Rose Kuta Resort, Villas & Spa

Been to Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta? Share your experiences!