“I'm sure there are nicer places in Bali”

Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta
Ranked #97 of 340 Hotels in Kuta
El Cajon, California
“I'm sure there are nicer places in Bali”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We needed a one night stay to get some quality sleep after the long flight over the pacific. We saw the reviews on Trip advisor, expedia, etc, so we didn't really have any doubts it would be nice enough and sufficient for what we needed. But we still found ourselves pleasantly surprised at how clean and modern the place was, and how accommodating the staff.

To start, our taksi was given a thourough once over by the men at the security gate, making sure no funny business was going down. A small pause in the trip but assuring to know they were really on the lookout. Check in was a breeze, staff was friendly, welcome juice delish. They asked for passports, copies were fine. They requested a cc for deposit, but happily took 250,000 rupiah as a cash deposit instead. Then the attendant, Yuda I believe, escorted us to our room. On the way he discussed our plans for the next day. We told him we had an early flight, and he offered to arrange our wakeup call and taksi for the morning. We were going to have to leave really early, so as to not have time to take advantage of the free breakfast, and he very nicely offered to send up some breakfast boxes instead. (We ended up having our flight changed to even earlier, so in the end, no breakfast boxes for us! but it was still very nice of him)

He upgraded us to a suite, which although had no view to speak of, was just lovely in every other aspect. There was a sofa, full dining table, flatscreens in both rooms, floor to ceiling windows in both the dining room and bathroom. It was bright and airy and pleasantly appointed. I actually REALLY liked the layout and decoration of the bathroom. It had a giant mirror which seemed to almost double as a wall, behind one side was the toilet, behind the other a nice rain head shower. and facing the mirror a nice big elevated tub. A gloriously warm relaxing bath was exactly what I needed after 22 hours of cramped transit. Even had a shower handle which is always nice.

Toiletries were not super awesome. 2 in1 shampoo really was more like just shampoo and smelled and looked an awful lot like the shower gel. Both of which according to the ingredient label contained formaldehyde. I tried to use the shower gel as bubble bath (before I noticed the formaldehyde), but the bubbles didn't ever really bubble despite my efforts to help them.

We did also go for a swim, pool was nice but is shaded in the afternoon so it actually wasn't hot enough to feel really good. They have pool towel service, but the towel smelled a bit funny. (Towels in the room did not, and were those really nice soft giant bath towels that you don't ever want to get out of.)

We ordered room service for dinner got a Hawaiian Burger (interesting burger, egg, pineapple slice, beets, pickles combination), two orders of sate, one beef, one chicken, and and order of pisang goreng (no ice cream). Sate was good. Not like grandmas, but solid. Burger was perfectly cooked, and quite tasty (though a slightly odd combination, you just wanted to keep trying it to get your head around it). Pisang goreng was quite possibly the best I've had, sorry grandma. I don't know if its because they use those little fat apple bananas or plantains or what, but they were delicious. Perfect amount of batter, not greasy, not floppy as normal US bananas get when you cook em. I really wish I had ordered two. That plus two more Aquas, came to 320,000 rupiah, not bad for an in room feast.

I was worried because the bed was a little "firm" for my taste. But I'm not sure if it was deceptively comfortable or I was just so exhausted, in any case, I slept like a baby, so no complaints there.

Room was perfectly climate controlled, no bugs, no issues. There did seem to be a lot of water in the bathroom, like floor not set to drain right and I could imagine that would be problematic if you were staying longer. There was a noticeable amount of noise in the evening. We were trying to go to sleep fairly early and I remember hearing children at one point, music at another, and some odd thumping for a few minutes very early in the morning.

As I mentioned before our flight was later changed to a 7am departure. That means 5am at the airport, and downstairs to check out at 4:30ish. Which is EARLY... the fella at checkout had nodded off in his chair, but you can hardly blame him as it was 4:30!... but he was super apologetic and attentive when we woke him. He checked us out, got us our taksi, and we were well on our way.

I think I remember reading that people have issue with the service here and in Indonesia in general, but I think its just a cultural difference. They are quiet and very obeisant, almost apologetic like they feel they are interrupting. They are fine to just let you do your thing until you need them. But I can see why that would feel like inattentiveness to someone who is used to being "fluffed" a bit more.

Overall would def stay again. I'm sure there are nicer places in Bali, and I'm sure there are some dumps. But for the price ($125 incl taxes) and function, this was just fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chrissy G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I needed a clean, nice hotel for a stop-over on the way to central Java, and Sun Island provided it. Was an exceptionally clean, new hotel, just newly built and only 10 mins from the airport. My room was spacious, bed excellent. Lovely furnishings, but one would expect that from USD 80 per night.

Pick-up from airport was excellent. Cost was USD 10 for pick-up, and again on drop-off. That said, my driver waited for me for over an hour while I was booking my ongoing domesitc flight at the airport. I also took two oblivious Danish tourists who were going to my hotel and didn't seem to understand that one must order (and pay) for the pick-up. They seemed very grumpy considering they were getting a free ride.

Arrival very pleasant. Cool, mini juice on arrival; cool wash cloth a nice touch. My room was above the lobby, but no real problems with noise, that or my jet-lag was kicking in. Had double doors to an own balcony (nice), but no furniture on the balcony (strange). Breakfast had a decent amount of options, from western to Indonesian but nothing really warm so I stuck to the fresh fruit. The tropical juices were excellent.

Opposite hotel is a mini-mart where everyday items available. Walk to a mall 5 mins away. Internet a nightmare, only sometimes available when I sat in the lobby. Most definately not in my room (located above the lobby). Interesting quirk: the actualy floor numbers didn't match with the elevator numbering.

Not really a hotel to stay in for the relaxing Bali vibe as am sure there are others with a better offer on Zen, but as a stopover hotel - absolutely excellent!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Friendly staff nothing too much trouble - pool gets a bit shaded in the afternoon - good for relaxing but cold for swimming!!

Drink prices a little more pricey but to be expected in a hotel of this quality.
Beds a little hard and the sweeping that goes on first thing in the morning was excessive but I wore earplugs and missed it all.
Wi fi connection reasonably good and breakfast was good with eggs made to order but got a bit boring after 7 days.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank redgrlssister
Makassar, Indonesia
Reviewed August 18, 2012

As a new hotel with an excellent review from every travel agents, I think I should try this hotel myself to make a review about it.
We arrived from our delayed flight from Lombok at 7.30 pm. When I still in lombok's airport, I made a phone called to the hotel for reconfirmed my 2 days reservation, also to tested the receptionist attitude of local caller, I found the girl at the phone was very nice, friendly and helpfull, her name was Lina -sorry for the mistaken, I can't hear verywell because of the noisy at airport, and I could not see her badge at the reception table because she just with another guest-.
When at last we met face to face to her, she keep smiling and still waved us friendly while she handled another guests. The service of our check in was excellent, cold jasmine smell towel and welcome drink made our sleep wonderfully awesome. The room was clean and very nice smell, the bathroom was bright and had complete amenities. I love to dive into the tub with hot water while watching tv from the see tru window from bathroom to bedroom. The twin bed that we choose quiet small, thou, that's because we were traveling with our kids (6-8yo). It was just single bed type, but the receptionist said the double bed is king sized. Overlooking from verandah, I can see the breakfast area also the pool.
What I love the most is the room, I'm picky and easly feel inconvenient about the sheet, dust, floor and the smell of the room also the cleanest of the bathroom and room. So I give this room 5 stars. There is no hotel in kuta I ever find this clean and good smell as I found in Sun Island hotel kuta Bali. I definitely wanna come back and stay there more longer. Because I the staff were very welcoming thou we just local guests.
I understand that they have to make the top scorer to the international tourist, but still the have manner and so friendly to us as well, always waves us greeting and smile.
The breakfast was awesome, too. Many variety and so delicious, the staff are very helpfull to get us seat when on crowded and the supervisor himself handle the situation even to clean the table for another guests.
I recommended this hotel to stay at but as the location are very in front of everything, don't complain about the price and the noise, if you want peaceful place, try nusadua. Kuta is the busiest place and the place for party, so don't bother to complaining.
Thank you Sun Island, you made our trip worthwhile. My kids were so sad when we have to checked out so early in the morning so I made a promise to them (and to myself of course) to stay here again every time we go on trip at Bali.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I had an excellent stay with Sun Island. Room was great, the staff were incredibly friendly, and everything was exactly as expected. I checked in around 8pm on a Saturday, and I needed to book a flight from Bali to Timor Leste on a local Indonesian carrier, and Devi from the front desk had a ticket in my hand in about an hour. Amazing!! Would definitely stay here again when in Kuta.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ExpatDiver
Sydney Australia
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel is one of the newer additions to the Kuta market. Clean, white & hardwood decor in the foyer & pool area and the standard setup in the rooms reasonably sized rooms, good bathrooms and a balcony. The beds are firm (usual in Bali) but the pillows were soft (unusual in Bali) and made for a great nights sleep.
The thing that shines at Sun Island are the staff. They have all been trained to make you feel welcome, everyone from the gardeners to the reception & security staff greet you when you meet. Breakfast buffet is good, with eggs made to order. You are a short walk to Waterbom, Centro Mall and Kuta Square & Art Market.
Couldn't get a late checkout as they were fully booked but they happily provided a courtesy room to shower before we headed off to the airport in the evening.
Good hotel with no beach access but close to most things.

Room Tip: We had a room on the left of the hotel which looked into the service area at the rear of another hot...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Victoria
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The service here is absolutely amazing, the hotel is wonderfully clean, the pool is lovely, overall it's a wonderful new hotel. The hotel can get a bit noisy at night-time, (one night we were awoken by a couple yelling at each other from across the hotel, some people are SO inconsiderate), but as a young couple, this didn't bother us at all.
I highly recommend this hotel for people that are planning to explore Bali and have an adventureous holiday, rather than a 'relax by the pool all day' holiday, as there isn't really much to do in the hotel. My boyfriend and I LOVED this hotel, we will be coming back soon!

Room Tip: ground floor rooms can be a bit noisy at night, as some guests aren't so considerate make sure...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple