“great location”

Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta
Ranked #60 of 252 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have to admit that planning our vacation in Bali was the most stressful for me...especially when picking the hotels. There were so many options and so many locations. We really wanted to stay in Kuta Beach, and finding a hotel with a central location was extremely important. Sun Island Kuta offered that.

My overall favorite thing about Sun Island was its prime location, just 5 minutes from the Discovery Mall, the beach (which you can get to it if you cross through the Discovery Mall), a lot of vendors, and delicious restaurants. They also offered a delicious breakfast buffet every morning, and the choices changed!

The rooms were spacious and the bed was very comfortable. However I have three complaints:
1) All of the towels (particularly the hand and face towels) seem to have this yellow-ish stain on them. At first, I thought it was isolated to just one towel - so I didn't use that one, but after we got our room cleaned and made a request to Guest Services for more towels, I noticed the SAME discoloration on the towels...perhaps it is the detergent they use? or perhaps it could be a result of something else that I would rather not mention...but I found it very surprisingly and somewhat disturbing considering the hotel is barely a year old. This was my biggest gripe.

2) The hotel is very noisy. Like the other reviewers mentioned, the noise could be very annoying, especially if there are a lot of children staying there. We were woken up one morning by the screaming and splashing of kids in the pool at 7am (the pool opens at 8am...). Thankfully I read through all the reviews on here so I made sure to request a "quiet" room away from the pool, but trust me - you can still hear EVERYTHING.

3) The wifi connection is horrible! The connection would go in and out, and in order to receive great signal, you would have to be closer to the lobby. However, here's the catch 22 future travelers should consider - if you want a great internet connection, you have to choose a room closer to the lobby...however, by choosing a room close to the lobby, you will also have to be close to the pool, which brings me back to my noise problem. See the problem? It's either internet or peace/quiet. Just a heads up!

Other than that, it was a nice hotel. They're still pretty new, so the Front Desk needs to work out some kinks (check-in was a bit slow, and there was different people handling our reservation so signals were crossed).

I'm not sure I would stay here again the next time I'm in Bali unless I find a great deal on the rooms, because I'll rather try my luck at the plenty other hotels around Kuta.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 22, 2012

The hotel staff were fantastic, could not fault them. Breakfast choices suit the traveller from Asia more than the western. Though for an experience, the "salmon sausage" was unique, only try it to say you have tried it. Sadly the hotel is just too noisy, music from within the hotel with bands and singer goes right through the whole complex. Not a good a hotel for a relaxing break.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Petros14
Reviewed July 16, 2012

E hotel staffs managed to give a warm welcome on our check-in but the attitude showed a change when we arranged for checkup. One male staff in particular was very enthusiastic when recommendating the dinner trip at Jimbaran to us and even went ahead to book the trip for us even though we did not confirm it.. Unfortunately we were still "deceived" into the trip and the whole so called romantic sunset dinner at the seaside was really a crap. The restaurant which they have tied up with was so old and dirty. The table clothes are dirty and seems not to have changed or washed. Will recommend not to take up their trip to Jimbaran for dinner. The seafood are not fresh and super expensive which is definitely not worth the price at all!!! Jimbaran has many restaurants but not sure how's the standard for the rest. E food and whole place is just not appealing nor appetizing. The food was not cooked properly, served cold and the sight of it when first served just left us speechless.

This male staff (which I will not indicate the name here) showed a changed in attitude during our last days for check-out. Firstly he gave us a wrong password for the wifi, was not helpful or sympathetic when we mentioned that our flight was delayed till late hrs at night.. The worst experienced for the whole stay happened when we finally wanna make our way to the airport via their airport transfer. The male staff in e afternoon told us they can immediately arrange for airport transfer when we return at night at this rate but when we returned at night, another staff quoted us double the rate and gave all sorts of lame reasons why we are now quoted with the new price. We argued saying the chauffeur which drove us around the past 2 days only quoted IND 100K including free transfer for whole day trip but the hotel staff is now charging us at IND 180K (SGD 26) !!!!! We tried to tell them about the price the chauffeur has quoted us and now they said they do not know the chauffeur when the chauffeur mentioned himself that he is working for the hotel... End day this is juz too crappy because the hotel staffs are just making their own money out from collaborating with the chauffeur which they claimed initially are all unr hotel but now they just denied everything!!! They eventually felt they are too much to charge for such high rate and finally gave us a "discount" at only IND 90K (SGD13) ... Oooo wat a kind gesture from them eventually
....??????? All pls bear in mind airport from kuta is less than 10 mins and they are charging such exorbitant rate!!!!

E whole experience after the check-up isn't good and the disappointing fact is that the reception lady which helped us on our 1st day of check-in turned out to "avoid" all our eye contacts and help when she saw all these happening....

We will definitely not recommend staying there in future and will nv return .... Sriously feel the hotel staffs shld reflect on their attitude towards their guests even after they have check-out!!!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Melody166
Reviewed July 14, 2012

New breed of hotel in the crowded Kuta city. This hotel are good. The room are spacious,comfortable and clean. The hotel staff are awesome. Kudos to all the staff from the security,restaurant staff,front desk,... They are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Pool view room are great or high floor room as long it doesn't face the main road.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This hotel was comparatively new (about 6 months) and everything was in great condition. The hotel is built around a central pool which is well-maintained and very pleasant. The buffet breakfast was very good with a great selection of hot and cold food which changed each day. The service was friendly and helpful and check-in was easy and quick. The value for money was excellent for us as we went on a special package (flight and hotel). The normal price for the rooms (regular, suites and family) was rather high compared to some other similar hotels. The position was good: 10 minutes walk to the heart of Kuta, a few minutes walk to the beach (through the neighbouring resort or through the discovery Plaza) and close to the airport ($5 taxi fare). Because of all the hard surfaces (tile floor, concrete walls etc...) the hotel tended to be a bit noisy, although for us, this was not a problem. WiFi was free in each room of the hotel.
We were allowed a late check-out (1pm) on the day we departed.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back would be somewhat quieter than the rooms that overlook the pool or the street.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank baz30s
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is a new, clean and very comfortable hotel. We were satisfied with all of the amenities and the good breakfasts, but the most impressive aspect of the hotel was the staff. They were extremely capable, most welcoming, gracious and helpful. I acknowledge that the standards of service in Bali are very high. Even so, these wonderful staff members provided extraordinary service. Every day, we looked forward to our interactions with each and every one of them. We were most impressed.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank David P
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We are staying at the Sun Island hotel, Kuta as I write this review and to put it simply it's not worth the price, especially in Bali.. The hotel is very new and clean but everything else needs work.. For starters the place is extremely noisy! We are staying In a hotel room located at the front of the hotel and you hear everything!! We are a young couple and quite use to noise and to be honest I thought I could sleep through anything! However this was ridiculous, the bar down stair pumps music until VERY late (last night 4am) and it honestly feels like there is a speaker in your room!!!! Admittedly we are in a room above the bar, but for $100 AUD a night you would expect the room to be alittle sound proof! When we asked if we could move to something less noisy maybe facing the pool, they said sure.. For an extra $30USD a night.. No thank you! Food-wise the hotel doesn't fair much better. The food is expensive and very average. We have ordered room service on two occasions and not really enjoyed either. The first was ok, a steak sandwich (which couldn't be eaten because it came smothered with cheese and my partner is allergic to dairy - on the menu nothing was mentioned about cheese) and a club sandwich- which was "ok"... The second room service I ordered a pizza and the first one came up uncooked (cheese just melted but everything else was raw). I wouldn't normally but I had to send it back because it was uneatable. The staff (what they could understand) were very good about it and brought me up a replacement within 10mins (fast kitchen) however this one wasn't cooked either!!!! Prob worse to be honest haha.. I couldnt bring myself to tell her so I didn't call back, instead the untouched pizza is sitting outside the door waiting for binning.

I'm not usually one to complain at all but I have used trip advisor so many time to book my holidays and based on ppls reviews I usually find a gem! So I wanted to post and let ppl know what this place is all about.. Dnt stay in room 229 or ANY on the front and DONT order pizza haha.. I hope this helps!

• Stayed: June 2012
6  Thank Nicholasjay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Amnaya Resort Kuta
Adhi Jaya Hotel
Adhi Jaya Hotel
#23 of 252 in Kuta
White Rose Kuta Resort, Villas & Spa

Been to Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta? Share your experiences!