“Great place for budget travelers!”
Review of Rita Za Hotel

Rita Za Hotel
Ranked #218 of 280 Kuta B&B and Inns
Phuket Town, Thailand
“Great place for budget travelers!”
Reviewed May 17, 2010

This hotel is a great find for backpackers. It's 150,000 Rp for 2 people or 200,000 for 3 people with an extra bed in the room. The rooms are pretty barebones, with chipping paint and cold showers. There's a pool right in the middle of the place which is super convenient. But the place gets a bit loud sometimes with people talking outside your room in the mornings and people swimming at pretty much any time of day or night.

Breakfast is included. You get a bit of cantaloupe and watermelon along with a fried/scrambled egg on two pieces of white bread. And the tables are a bit sticky with flies about.

But you are a 5 minute walk from Kuta beach (great for surfing, swimming and chilling), with tons of shopping and restaurants and bars.

Even though this place is a bit noisy and grungy, it's super cheap and right near the beach, just what I was looking for.

Protip: the TV only has local (Indonesian) channels, but you can rent a DVD player from numerous shops nearby for 25,000 Rp per day.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Indonesian first
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed March 29, 2010

When I arrived at Rita ZA Hotel and asked to see a room, they showed me an okay downstairs room with air-con. Then once I checked in they put me in a grottier upstairs room with no air-con. I didn't really care, but it was still sort of shady.

I was watching TV until pretty late, when I started noticing a lot of bugs in the room. Then I saw one on the pillow. I jumped up and pulled the sheet partially off the bed and saw the worst bedbug infestation I have ever seen. It was shocking--the mattress was black with bugs. I hadn't even gone to sleep and had only been in the hotel a few hours and I had more than 50 bites the next day.

At 3am I packed up my bag and told the guy downstairs that I wasn't staying in that room. He feigned surprised and rushed upstairs and sprayed bug spray all over the bed and sheets and said "now okay!" Uh, no. I told him I wasn't sleeping in that room and he said he didn't have any other rooms. I reminded him of the room that he had originally showed me, and he suddenly agreed that there was another room.

I said how do I know that room doesn't have bugs as well? He said, oh, only the room you were in, upstairs has the bugs. So, thanks for putting me in there. I went to the new room and took the case off the pillow and it was grey/green with mold. I told him I wasn't going to take the new room either and that I just wanted my money back and to leave.

He then offered me $0.50 (5000 IDR) to not tell anyone about the bug problem. I ended up having to find a new hotel at 4am. Rita ZA Hotel is the filthiest hotel I have seen in my 6 months of travel around Asia, which is really saying something!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank fersure

Travelers are raving about these Kuta hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
The Spot Legian
#130 of 280 in Kuta
Sri Beach Inn
Sri Beach Inn
#30 of 62 in Legian

Been to Rita Za Hotel? Share your experiences!