“Good location, good hotel, bad management”
Review of Dekuta Hotel

Dekuta Hotel
Ranked #100 of 251 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Have stayed at the DeKuta on 3 occassions over the last two months. The hotel is well located and just a couple of minutes walk to the beach and Kuta nightlife. Most DeKuta rooms have a balcony/deck overlooking the pool. On the positive side; the beds are good and clean, the flat screen TV has good channels & the rooms are well furnished. On the negative side; it is impossible to have a shower without flooding the bathroom, bathroom towels are either dirty or unavailable, pool towels are often not available, and air conditioners may or may not work. I reported that the WiFi was not working and management refused to believe me until I rallied a few other guests to also complain. Some rooms appear to getting mould on the paint which makes them look dirty.

The breakfast is quite poor with lousy presentaion, no variation, some items are pre-cooked and very basic ingrediants. You would be much better served to walk up the lane to any number of cafes which serve a far better breakfast for a fraction of the cost. For example, Stakz cafe is only a 2 minute walk and serves a great breakfast.

Whilst this is not the fault of the hotel it should be noted that most of the the neighbouring houses have dogs. These dogs fight, bark & howl most of the night and the noise penetrates direct into level 1, so if you find the sound of dog fights in the middle of the night disturbing this is not the place to stay.

In summary the hotel is in a good location if you want to be in the middle of the Kuta nightlife but management have a lot to learn about running a hotel so don't expect everything to work

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 11, 2010

Was very impressed by this hotel. It all looks very new , nice modern design large relaxing pool. Rooms are large with timber floors balcony overlooking the pool. Simple fixtures fridge (no mini bar) TV , safe, kettle all you need but no frills. Has fast free wifi. Hotel is only a short walk to the each and popular night spots. For the price this hotel exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2010

I concur with the preceding reviews - this hotel is overpriced and under serviced

I stayed on two separate nights - before and after staying with friends at a villa in Seminyak - my review here is not a comparison as that wouldn't be fair - but is based on my other 12 visits to bali and what to expect in terms of value for money from a hotel

the whole hotel is aiming for a minimalist, funky vibe - lots of curves and bright lime green accents etc - however - it's a bit of a monet - good at a distance but a bit ugly up close

everything is just a bit sparse - no real amenities (imagine having no water glasses in the rooms?!) and very unfortunate at the moment as there is a monstrous building site across the alley from the hotel

on my seond night I was placed in a room which overlooked this building site and had to request to be moved - my request was pleasantly and promptly handled - but - WTF with putting a guest in a room overlooking a (seriously noisy and very dusty) building site when other rooms where available??

i had a dreadful sleep both nights I stayed here - I haven't been this eaten alive by mozzies since my first trip to bali in the '80s - I think's it because of the artful water features with no corresponding nightly spraying -- also - there are dogs barking and howling in the noxious alley beside the hotel all night long

everything at this hotel is just a bit patchy and light-on - like running out of towels and not being able to get taxis easily for you, or having no poolside service -- however - the staff are all very nice and do their best within these obvious constraints -- the food in the bar is quite good for hotel food tho...

funnily like an earlier reviewer I also looked at the Seaview and now believe I should have stayed there - they have an excellent restaurant and the property looked really good

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank shaztic
Reviewed October 3, 2010

i was very disappointed for many reasons. myself and my friend were excited to relax in a new hotel as previously we stayed at bounty hotel. by far bounty offers alot of facilities. staff at dekuta are friendly although making international calls are a pain as you need to make calls at reception. there was no water when asked. there isnt room service. you need to get a menu down stairs from restaurant. Room was ok but there isnt a hair dryer or a plug in the bathroom. facilities need to be improved and service. THERE ARE MANY BETTER HOTELS WITH BASIC FACILITIES (DEKUTA does not provide basic facilities) TRY SEAVIEW HOTEL..that one looks beautiful and FOOD is the best.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank connie10_10
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We were there for a night after staying in Seminyak for a few nights. This is our 3rd trip to Bali and we have stayed in worse hotels in terms of facilities etc but this hotel is too overhyped for the price we pay. Its totally not worth the price I paid the room for at SGS129. Upon arrival the hotel looks neat but when we were given a room on level 2, we found that alot of basic facilities are not there. The hotel looks more like a 2-3 star budget hotel. The toilet looks badly maintained and the towels are not clean (stained with past stains by other guest i believe). There is no basic toiletries in the toilet at all and there are lots of toilet flies in it.

When we stepped into the room, it looks neat but the flooring is always feeling dusty. It might be the type of tiles they use. Again there were flies and mosquitoes around. we laid on our bed for an hour or so and went to shower. i felt some bites but thought they were mosquitoes. when we were about to sleep, i flipped my pillow and to my horror, i saw very very small bugs that look like bedbugs. I immediately alerted my husband. he confirmed it was bedbug and we flipped his pillow and found another 4 small bedbugs. we were very disgusted because we have encountered bedbugs before and once u bring them home, they will infest ur place in no time. we called front desk to change room and they said there was no room available until they came up to check and we told them we cannot sleep in that room even if they change bedsheets. it clearly shows they do not know how dangerous these bedbugs can be. they do not live in the bedsheets but in the bed corners. in the end, they swap us to another room 219 but guess what, the sink is jam, so the water cannot flow out of the sink. sorry to say but i had a really bad exp with this hotel. The service crew are not helpful at all and kind of brush it off.

anyways another 3 thing. I dint think the location was great although its behind the main madonalds...its along a small street behind macdonalds. internet connection is lousy. before i change room, i could get some signal but after i change room, the signal is totally gone. zzz...so much for free wireless internet connection. also, the recep didnt tell us what time is breakfast so when we walked down this morning at about 1013am, they told us breakfast is over. im like... great...what a way to end my stay at this hotel.

i have to write this upon arriving back to singapore bcos im seriously disgusted by thier cleaniness and service. maybe im very picky but trust me, its not as nice as what the photos show. i trusted agoda and booked this and for the price its totally LOUSY to the max. I seriously think they should improve their cleaniness level and service level.

Please do not go for room 211 unless u want the bugs sleeping with u. trust me, u dont want to be near them at all.... go do a research on them and u will know why

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yweiyi
Reviewed September 12, 2010

My familes stay for 2 nights. The location was really excellent. 2 min from Kuta beach. The rooms was new, nice trendy with LCD TV. comfortable clean bed. nice clean big toilet. outdoor patio...Free wireless through out the hotel. The problem i face when i check in, the room was a bit dirty but it was ok after i mop it. The problem is at night as it was near to the neighbour hood, there were times when u can hear dog barking and this affect my sleep..overall, this is a great new hotel which i will definately stay again if i am in bali..Strongly recommended..

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank keithach1722
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I don't really have anything bad to say about this hotel, but rather a few points for improvement....

The hotel was as expected from reviews and pics, and it was surprisingly clean and modern for the price.

I recently stayed with several friends and we were able to get single rooms here for the price of twin share rooms at other Kuta properties so that was a bonus.

The rooms were very clean but sparse - there are no amenties provided (simply soap dispensers in the bathroom) plus a kettle & 2 cups and a small bar fridge. Two bottles of water are provided daily. There was also a drying rack provided on the balconies. The fittings are sparse – there are no drawers at the bedside, rather just a shelf and the wardrobe is open with no doors. There were also no shelves in the bathroom (other than the window sill for toiletries) and the towels although mostly clean, were very old.

The beds were large and super comfy, with plasma TV's in each room, although be warned, if you are on the Poppies lane side, the noise at night is pretty bad, even through the heavily glazed balcony doors. Friends near the pool complained about echoing noise from people sitting on balconies in the night, or using the pool early in the morning due to the fact that inside rooms all overlook the pool. There is also a very large construction site directly opposite that is unattractive to look at, but luckily didn’t provide too much noise (or any extra over the top of the traffic on Poppies).

The pool was nice, although does not get much sun and sunbeds were limited, as was the pool side service. To get drinks/foods, you must go to the restaurant to request service and this was definitely lacking when it comes to cleaning up or offering more drinks etc. The towels provided were also bath towels, so if you prefer a larger one, I'd take your own.

The food was also limited - breakfast choices are set and are either American (2 tiny rashers of bacon, 1 tiny sausage, 1 tomato, 2 slices of toast and an egg), Indonesian (nasi goreng or mee goreng) or Continental (cereal) and finishes at 10am. We did get a voucher each for a welcome drink, although apparently it was pretty awful!

I also found the service a bit slow and unsure. We had prebooked (via email) a transfer service however the driver did not show, and on calling the hotel we were told just to get a taxi. On arrival, although our rooms were not ready, we were not offered the use of any facilities while we waited and staff seemed unapologetic. I also experienced several problems with my room key not working and had to go back to reception to get it reprogrammed. They were also not overly friendly or helpful with advice on drivers or tours etc and there were no brochures available in reception. After staying at other properties with extremely friendly and helpful staff, this was a bit disappointing.

The location is right on Poppies II closer to the beach end (about 5 mins walk); to walk to Legian Street took about 20 mins. There is a small convenience store a few metres away, plus all the market stalls. There is a bar above the convenience store that was a bit noisy on one night.

Overall, the rooms were clean, modern and light and the pool was nice and clean and quiet. The restaurant, pool side service and hotel reception service could be improved, but as a budget hotel you do get what you pay for. I would recommend the hotel for people that want to be right in the action at a good price for a trendy, clean, small hotel. There is plenty of shopping and cheap 'n cheerful 'beauty shops' for massages and pedicures etc right outside the front door, plus a few warungs nearby for cheap eats. The Bounty is very close if you want to party, and Legian Street is 20 mins away for serious night-time action. I wouldn’t recommend it for a romantic, relaxing stay or for pool side cocktails, atmosphere and people watching.

Would I stay again? Maybe for a night or two, but probably not simply due to the location and the noise.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends