“need better management”

Ranked #30 of 251 Hotels in Kuta
Indonesia
“need better management”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Just came back yesterday fr Bali. Last day at the Aston Kuta should be the best day of all. Not complaining about the drop-off and room services.
Unfortunately at the last day, my wife was scolded by a MANAGER of the restaurant while about to start having breakfast.
Two people at front, my wife gave the ticket & stepped in the resto. Suddenly, a person with different colored uniform yelled at her ask to wait and queue with an attitude ( Me and some siblings were there at that time almost done with the breakfast and we noticed lots of empty tables around). I kept looking around tried to find my wife and did not notice she was yelled yet I knew she still waited. I wondered what took her so long.
Then she wrote a note for the hotel and the manager about the attitude (we believed the note was at the trash bin before going straight to the office). The funny thing was not even a sorry from the phone was heard. GREAT!!!! ASTON???? Think about the big name.
Maybe the viewer will wonder if this was my wife fault? Well, the day before the "bad" day, no one accompanied my wife to the table when she had breakfast, and the next day before that (we stayed 3 days there).
So, where is the standard of so-called: ASTON? 4 star ?
Also before I checked out, I saw these two "clowns" who were the front office officers mad to each other because of a girl who also works at the front office. They ran to each other to the office room, looks like there will be a fight later on.......yes yes, they spoke with Indonesian and some of foreigners would not know what were they talking about.. I am an Indonesian, my thought: so not profesional!
Just for information: my wife is also a bank manager who really handled her people very well especially in services & myself, traveling lots for business. So we are really sure about the standard about hotel, especially famous hotel.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Hardy L
AstonKuta H, General Manager at Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Handy L,

Thank you for expressing your kind input and suggestions for Aston Kuta on TripAdvisor.com and for staying with us during your visit to Bali.
Deeply apologize for any inconvenience that happened during your breakfast in one of our restaurant with one of our staffs.
Rest assured that we have trained our staffs to be assertive and assisting all guests in need as our guests are our main priority.
Kindly accept our apology and should you wish to visit us again, please contact me personally to ensure a better experience than your last one.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Great room, great staff. We booked a triple and they upgraded us in a premier suite. The breakfast was excellent. They were even making waffles for you.
Very accessible to the centre of Kuta and the shops. We took the courtesy bus a few times but we walked as well....it's about 20 mins walking from a nice mall and the shopping area. Lots of restaurants around there too.
Although I was a bit worried about the place (Kuta I mean) since I was travelling with my parents and I had heard that Kuta is only bars and clubs, I dont regret staying there. We did 2 tours and visited many cities so we have an opinion of almost everything. My mum really liked our walks along the beach and the shops on legian street. I bought two amazing dresses in a reasonable price. The shops in Seminyak were great too.
In Legian, go to eat to Kopi Pot. great food. we just walked there from the hotel...a little far but ok if you go on a sightseeing holiday.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Fay T
Arissyamsul, General Manager at Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear Fay T,

Thank you for your recent stay and we highly appreciate the time you took to commend the hotel, the staff and our facility of room from Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence in TripAdvisor.com. Glad to hear you have an enjoyable holiday in Bali. Thank you for your trusted to choose our hotel. It always serves us a great satisfaction when we know our guests are happy with the experience in Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed here 6 days, 5 minute drive from the airport, in South Kuta/Tuban where it's quiet. The staff were so friendly and couldn't help enough.
The breakfast was amazing, a variety of western and eastern foods, all you can eat buffet cooked fresh every morning. The staff were extremely attentive, always asking of we'd like more tea/coffee.

The room was very clean and modern, water was replaced every morning. Icy cold airconditioning made it easy to chill out. The water pressure and temperature is the same as home.

The location of the hotel was off Kartika Plaza, a 5 minute walk to the Discovery Centre. Opposite is a K Circle open 24 hours and laundromat across the road.

The roof top bar was sensational, beautiful views of the ocean and Kuta. Awesome place to sit down and have a drink in the warm weather.

I'd definitely stay again, the hotel was so much more than expected and very reasonably priced!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Courtme
astonkuta, Director of Sales at Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, August 14, 2011
Dear Courtme,

Thank you for your encouraging review. This will motivate us to work harder to provide even better service for our valued guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next Bali trip.

Best regards.

Deddy Kurniawan
Director of Sales & Marketing
nonthaburi thaailand
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I traveled with my friends but unfortunately i booked the wrong hotel.
The room is pretty plain. The family suite that i booked is just a king-sized bed with two extra bed. The extra bed is not comfortable at all. I think there are plenty of other hotels in kuta with the same price or even cheaper that is worth your money. The hotel locates near the central of kuta close to many restaurants and shopping center.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Pawpawjung,

Thank you for your recent stay and we the review about Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence in TripAdvisor.com. I deeply empathize with the unpleasant experience during your stay.

Rest assured that we take your review very seriously about the room and the extra bed, then we have taken immediate actions to address this issue with related sections to rectify the issue and to prevent this from happening again.

If in the future you have a plan to come to Bali again, please choose Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence to accommodate your stay and let me know on your visit so I can personally ensuring that your experience will be very much improved from the last time.

Thank you for your attention.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Stayed at the Aston Kuta for the last 8 days of July with my girlfriend and found it very disappointing.

Right from the get-go things were off to a bad start as the driver we booked did not show at the arrivals gate. At first I thought it was just a simple mistake such as the driver having the wrong name on the card or me not noticing it but when I eventually got to the hotel the reception staff told me that there was no car booked for me at all. When I produced the confirmation email saying "Thank you Mr. BlahBlah for booking a pick-up car..." the staff simply looked at me strange, said sorry and continued checking us in; which also had issues.

The staff member then asked me for my credit card as assurance for the room, which I politely refused for security reasons (I wouldn't give the Prime Minister my credit card so a hotel staff member has no chance). She insisted it was just as assurance for payment of the minibar etc. which I explained I understood but would not give over my credit card regardless of its purpose. In lue of a credit card she then asked for $1000 USD! I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing! $1000 US dollars to guarantee the $15 contents of the minibar and contents of the room in case of damage. It took me a good 5 minutes to haggle her down to a value of $200 AUD which I thought was far more reasonable.

After all that the biggest issue was obviously the room, we stayed in a Deluxe Room and the issues were all based on false advertising and poor quality.

- Tea/Coffee making facilities were advertised but the kettle did not work and they were unable to swap it out for a working one.
- Cable/Satellite TV constantly flickered which wasn't a big deal as im not flying 6 hours to Bali to watch TV but it was still annoying that we couldn't just relax and watch a movie some nights.
- Telephone was unable to make external calls.
- All of the fake stone counter tops were loose and would sound like they were going to snap off at the corners when you placed anything heavy on them.
- Iron/Ironing board wasn't even in the room and when requested they just offered us their dry cleaning service (which has the interesting technicality in the fine print that says if they damage your item you can only hold them liable to the value of the cleaning bill, ie. they ruin your $100 dress and you can hold them liable for ~$3.10).
- The toilet clogged every single time you flushed it with paper in the pan. Housekeeping would get it fixed very quickly, but still very poor experience seeing how they would rather just keep unclogging it rather than actually fix it which forced us to venture to the lobby toilet every time we wanted to go.
- One of the wooden mattress slats snapped completely in half when my 60kg girlfriend sat on it! Once again... it was fixed very quickly by the FANTASTIC engineering department; but shouldn't be happening in the first place.
- And the final problem with the room was the location! The website advertises that the deluxe room comes with a private balcony or higher floor, we got neither. In fact we had a room on the bottom floor as close to the restaurant/lobby as absolutely possible. We would be woken at 6am by the staff setting up the breakfast (which was also terrible, but ill get to that in a minute), and then again by the busy period of residents having breakfast at about 8 and (if we were still in bed for some reason) again at 10:30 to 11 when the staff would clean/pack up. Once again I complained, and was told it was the last Deluxe room in the hotel.

The other problem was the breakfast, simply the quality was shameful. No matter what time or how busy the place was, nearly everything was bad. Even though we were commonly the very first people in the restaurant (due to being woken up every morning) the food was somehow still cold, the coffee/tea was still stale and fruits were still dry. However the things that were made fresh like the waffles (which were just square pancakes so don't get your hopes too high), eggs/omelettes and fresh breads were great.

What made this even more disappointing was the fact that during the dinner service I found out how AMAZING the food could be! To everyone who is staying there, try the Beef Black Pepper... its flat out the best attempt at this dish I have ever tasted!

To anyone looking to stay, be willing to leave the hotel and walk up the road and around the corner (about 150 metres) to the J Boutique Hotel and pay for a breakfast there, much MUCH better. Also ensure you have a room as far away from the lobby as possible. I read a few complaints by other people on this site about the noise of the pool bar at that end of the hotel but they turned off the music and stop drinks service at the pool bar by about 7pm so shouldn't interrupt anyone's sleep.

Overall very disappointed by what claims to be a 4 Star hotel when I have stayed in other Bali establishments and received far better quality for the same money and equal quality for far less money.

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the lobby as possible, demand a room change if you don't get this or you...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mansonitefirefox
astonkuta, Director of Sales at Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear mansonitefirefox,

Thank you for contributing a review to Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence's page in TripAdvisor. We regret for unsuccessfully delivering a memorable experience to you and your girlfriend. We thank your time writing us and value your comments. Rest assured that we - the management team of Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence - values and will work on improvements based on your comments.

Please find more details in our reply to email you have sent to the hotel.

If you'd give us the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel in the future, our goal is for you to find much improvements.

With my best regards,

the spacious room
the pool
the breakfast egg man

we hope:
the free wifi can be extend to the room

we disappointed:
the road outside the hotel was flooded and smelly

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zieL7
Dear ZieL7,

Thank you for your recent stay and we highly appreciate the time you took to commend the hotel, the food and our facility especially the room and the pool from Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence in TripAdvisor.com. Your suggestion about wifi will be input for us to be better in the future. It always serves us a great satisfaction when we know our guests are happy with the experience in Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence.

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We spent 5 nights and found nothing to complain about. The rooms were comfortable and the location convenient. It's a very cheap taxi ride to the shopping mall or an easy walk. There are plenty of places to eat n shop nearby. The best benefit was the free wifi in lobby and restaurant. Great place to stay. I would go back!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank TrickyTK
Dear TrickyTK,

Thank you for your recent stay and we highly appreciate the time you took to commend the hotel, the services and our facility from Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence in TripAdvisor.com. Thank you for your trusted to our hotel. It always serves us a great satisfaction when we know our guests are happy with the experience in Aston Kuta Hotel & Residence.