“By FAR my favorite thing to do in Bali”

Odysseys Surf School
Book In Advance
More Info
$35.00*
and up
Beginner Surfing Lesson at Kuta Beach
Ranked #4 of 151 Outdoor Activities in Kuta
More attraction details
Owner description: Odysseys Surf School announced that it has received a TripAdvisor(R) Certificate of Excellence award. The accolade, which honors hospitality excellence, is given only to establishments that consistently achieve outstanding traveller reviews on TripAdvisor, and is extended to qualifying businesses worldwide. We'd like to thank all of our past guests who took the time to complete a review for Odysseys surf school. ABOUT ODYSSEYS SURF SCHOOL Odysseys Surf School is a surfing school with a reputation for it's open, fun and friendly atmosphere. Established in 2003 and sponsored by Oakley and supported by the Academy of Surfing Instructors Australia, Hard Rock Cafe, Surftime-Surf Mag , Surfer Girl we have the know how, skill, experience and resources to make our surf school an exciting place for its students to learn how to surf in Bali.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“By FAR my favorite thing to do in Bali”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I paid for 2.5 hours of a group lesson on a Sunday afternoon and ended up with my very own instructor. Perhaps they just had extra staff on hand, but it was great to get the personal attention- especially since it was my first time to even hold a surf board. My instructor was great. His instruction and explanation (on dry land) was so good that I was up on the board the first try!! By the end of the lesson, he had me picking out the right waves and chasing them myself- I felt like a real surfer :)

The pick up at my hotel (Conrad Bali) was so convenient and my driver even took me to the airport after my lesson since I was flying back to Singapore that evening! The transportation alone would have cost me about $35 US dollars- so getting a surf lesson too was a GREAT value.

Also, since I was traveling alone on a weekend in between a business trip to Singapore, the CD of all the photos of my surfing adventure was exactly what I needed to prove to my husband that I ROCKED those waves! The Odyssey photographer lets you look through the photos to see if you want to buy the CD, but if you have as much fun as I had surfing with Odyssey, trust me, you'll want those photos to remember the day!

Visited November 2012

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“I'M ADDICTED!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I signed up for the package of 3 classes, having never surfed before and figured it would be a nice try but I'd never be able to do it. Those guys are absolutely genius! Not only was this 43 year old standing on the first day, but they made it an absolute blast! They're super patient, just cheeky enough to make it fun, and they're really great at making you feel confident. Those 3 days weren't enough, I ended up taking a private lesson after that and if I had more time I would have done more. I had Hanks, Leo and G as instructors---thank you guys, honestly---a big part of how much I loved Bali was because of my surfing lessons. And the driver Komong was great too. Very very highly recommended!!!!!!!!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nice place, bad instructor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

The surfing School was overall good. Nice facilities. We had unfortunately a really inappropriate instructor. he was arrogant, unpatient and was more interestet in knowing if we were single than helping us learn to surf. He Said to my friend "your so thin and sexy, White laying on the board, that's just inappropriate. If you have a good instructor this place is probably very good.

Bangkok
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Price and Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I first used Odyssey in 2010, mainly because it was right next door to our hotel, but this time I checked out some others and the prices were at least US $5 more expensive than Odyssey. I paid $35, I think you can choose the currency, for a 2.5hour lesson. I turned up just after 3pm and was able to join a lesson 10 minutes later. You are given a UV protection top to wear and a beginners board (bigger and gripier) then we went straight to the beach which is just across the road to learn the basics about the board and the process of standing up and when. After about 15 minutes, we went into the water and were given further instructions and guidance, at first being pushed by the instructor a little until we could paddle correctly and being told when to stand. This was very helpful as I was usually standing up to early. We probably had about an hour in the water before we were told to have a break, where cold water is available (free). After about 10/15 minutes, we went back in the water for probably about another hour, but this was quite difficult due to the tide coming in, with the instructor commenting on the difficulty of it as well. Unfortunately, that was only the second time I spoke to him during the second session and it seemed like we were left on our own a bit, although if I wanted help, I'm sure I could have found him and asked for it, but it would have been a lot better if he was out in the watter with us to give us more feedback and each attempt.

At the end, there are shower facilities and an opportunity to buy photographs taken by their photographer. As I bought the disc last time, I didn't buy it, but I saw the photos and they were very good quality. There are free lockers to store your belongings, but you have to leave the key at reception. There are also t-shirts to buy which were priced around 100,000 IDR (on sale from 120,000 IDR) and are good quality, I bought one 2 years ago and still wear it.

I plan to surf again before I leave Bali and will use Odyssey.

1 Thank Anth A
Jakarta, Indonesia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Stand on First Lesson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

I came in with rather large groups, and I have 3 children with me under 15 y.o, so I kinda nervous handing those children. But everyone at Odysseys are so kind and encouraging, and really assuring.
They have these charts, on when the best winds and waves for beginners. So even when you just renting, you can consult when are the best time of the day to catch waves of your choice.
After consulting which lesson to take (semi-private for 4 adults and Private for 3 kids), they give us body suit and pants (pink for girls :)), bring our boards, and to Kuta beach, just up front.
After a brief lesson, we went straight to the ocean! The instructors are so patient dealing with klutz like me :P, and in the end of session 1, I could manage to glide to the beach respectably, on my board :)
On session 2, apparently the wind has gotten stronger, so it was a hard work to came back to the learning points. The instructors always remind us not to stray far away and avoid double waves.

Upon returning, I just realized they have all the lessons documented! But it was too bad, the photographer didn't stay until session 2. But It was good, and I got some of my proud moments immotalized!

Thanks Odyssey!