“Best place in Bali”

The Umalas Equestrian Resort
Ranked #86 of 174 Outdoor Activities in Kuta
More attraction details
Owner description: Imagine discovering the tropical island of Bali by horseback. At The Umalas Equestrian Resort we can make your dreams come true. German-owned and in operation for more than a decade, meeting the highest international standards.Facilities include 35-horse stables, indoor and outdoor arenas, paddocks, one Suite and four Deluxe Rooms each with en-suite bathrooms & private balconies overlooking the Resort as well as an established restaurant flanked by a generous swimming pool.
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We are back here now for third time. The first time, last year we only booked à lesson and beach tour. The beach tour was absolutely amazing, even though the way to the beach was ehm, exciting, due to traffic on the road and narrow passages due to those stupid villa's that are sprouting in Bali everywhere and destructing the island. Well you can't blame the resort for the stupidities of others I think. After the tour we were shown the guestrooms, and that fixed our conclusion: we wanted to come back!
Which we have done two times so far.
We are very well taken care off, pick up at airport, beautiful flower arrangement in the room and enough fruit to last us for a couple of days.
The horses look like they are loved, the stables are clean and the trainers are great, I see my girl progressing every lesson she takes. We would really love to make this our standard hideaway when we are on Bali.

One other great asset of this place is the restaurant, that helpst even the horse haters in our family love this place!

4  Thank DirkSmama

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Viewed the stables and 'horses' the day prior to my ride. As a very experienced rider, was assured I would have a suitable horse to suit my experience. The brochure states that on the 2 hour ride, you will enjoy the trees and shadows along the river, see rice paddies etc., It also implies that the 'centre' is a more than just a trekking centre. On the morning I arrived, I was the only guest. My horse was led out and I was told to get on. My guide walked in front of me with his horse, got on, and started to ride off. Not a Good Morning, or any type of greeting. When we had walked 10 minutes along the road, I asked him to introduce himself! He didn't - but just carried on. My horse was so slow, it was painful, and I wish I had turned around there and then. I asked 30 minutes later where the paddy fields were and he said that they do not go to them anymore as they have built across them! The ride was slow, dull, and when we got to the beach, had a few canters. My horse did not like sea either, so the idea of splashing through the waves was another let down. A complete waste of time and money, and left me really upset for my little horse who looked bored the entire time with ears back, and probably hated every minute of this awful trek. The horses you see in the yard are not the horses you ride. When we got back, I led my poor little horse through the yard to her stall with the other trek ponies, and they were not quite so glossy and lovely as the ones on 'display' at the front. It was one of the saddest experiences I have had for a very long time and not something I would encourage others to do. I wrote to the owner and said the brochure is completely out of date (my friend has the same one from a visit 3 years or more ago!). I paid USD72.00 and wanted a refund, but I was offered a free ride next time I am there! I would not step foot in the place every again. If you are five years old and want to sit on a pony you will probably enjoy this.

17  Thank walker92
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The horses here are certainly very well looked after. The beach ride was brilliant a huge storm came in and we were soaked. Beware if you are not an experienced riders that those horses take off on the way back on the beach if you are not in control.

5  Thank Karen C
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This is my second time riding here, last time was 5 years ago and this time with my 4 year old daughter. I am very impressed by the professional and friendly team here. The stables and horses are as I would expect in a good European operation, clean, well schooled and clearly very well cared for. I did 4 beach rides and as I was the most experienced rider each time, my guide took me off the standard route a couple of times and I got to see the "real" bali with temples, rice fields and the beach. Safety is paramount so our ability to gallop along the beach depended a little on how busy the beach was, but I appreciated this responsible attitude and still got in a lot of racing with my guide!

My four year old daughter also had a few pony rides round the stables. The guides were lovely, teaching her the basics of riding and even getting her into a little trot. It was her first time on a horse and they built her confidence no end. When she is old enough to have proper lessons we'll be coming back.

Highly recommended.

1  Thank Alice P
Reviewed September 18, 2011

This was a must for me, after 7 years I finally returned to the sadle. My horse was beautiful and well schooled, the guide was amazing. We rode from the Umalas down the beach to Legian. It's nice to ride a horse that you feel wants to be there rather than a have to. As soon as we hit the beach, he started getting exicted. The only proplem was that the paperwork said you are not allowed to overtake your guide and as I was on my own with the guide, and he choose to ride beside me, both horses wanted to race!!!! soooo much fun.
The won't pick up if onlu 1 person, so make sure you leave enough time to get there..traffic is really bad. After the ride you can enjoy a swim in their pool with a nice cold beer!

3  Thank janeyjane_oz