“Dirty smelly room - I have never been happier to leave a hotel”

Hotel Kumala Pantai
Ranked #26 of 254 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Initial impressions were good - friendly staff a pleasant, almost peaceful atmosphere in the outdoor grounds of the hotel, particularly in comparison with the buzz of the surrounding streets. The room itself would have been fine, had it been clean. It was filthy with drains that overflowed over the bathroom floor and stinking bed sheets and pillows. Although housekeeping visited each day and sprayed fragrance in the room, they unfortunately did not seem to clean. The nauseating smell of mould and toxic strong fragrances was disturbingly strong, particularly in the bed linen and pillows. I politely asked the reception staff whether we could change rooms and all she could suggest was that they send someone to spray more fragrance in the room. We were so keen to get out of this hotel that we went to the airport 4 hours early, and what a pleasant relief the lovely clean premium lounge was!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mo0o0o
There are newer reviews for Hotel Kumala Pantai

Reviewed April 21, 2011

We recently stayed here for 5 nights with our 3 teens in interconnecting rooms. We couldn't fault this hotel. The rooms were large and the bathrooms really spacious, we were in block H. The breakfasts, included in the price were really good and the food and drinks at the pool and restaurants were really very reasonably priced. The towels, which many have complained about were great. We went to the Hyatt after this in Sanur and payed nearly double for inferior rooms with no breakfast included. This hotel is great for families with teens, our kids loved all the shops around and could explore without us. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank DIXIEMUM
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We stayed at the Kumala Pantai for six nights late March/early April. It was our fourth trip to Bali but the first time at this hotel. After reading many reviews, I was nervous about the towels, but either the hotel has purchased new ones or everyone who complained about the state of the towels has ridiculously high expectations. The rooms were great, the gardens lush & well maintained and both pools were clean. Room service and pool side service is the same price as the fabulous in-house Italian restaurant and is not plus, plus, so is great value for money. Briella Spa is across the road and offers well priced treatments. We ate at nearby Yuts Restaurant on the recommendation of other reviewers on Tripadvisor and would have to say it was the worst meal we have ever had in Bali. Processed chicken when we ordered Schnitzel and Cordon Bleu was not what we expected. Although Yuts was busy every night when we walked past, we would recommend the much quieter Thai restaurant Sawasdeekha across the road. Another hotel quest had recommended this to us and the food there was magnificant and well priced. We have previoulsy stayed at the Hard Rock, Padma and Melasti Beach but we would definately stay at KP next time we are in Bali.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank biscuitb0ys
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Stayed with our 3 year old in an Ambassador suite (a Junior suite with and adjoining deluxe room). Our rooms were massive but on the second floor which can be a bit of a struggle with small children. The room was cleaned beautifully everyday but as others have noted the room towels are old and small, we just asked housekeeping for extras everyday and it was no problem. We found the beds a bit hard for our liking but not unbearable. We were in the NS block which is nearest the restaurant and in the evenings you could hear the entertainment which may bother some but not us, usually all over by 10pm. The pools are large and relaxing but deep which meant one of us had to be in the pool at all times with our young one. The pool towels are huge and thick. The Italian restuarant on the beachside (where breakfast is served) was a great location to sit any time of day and enjoy the weather and the view. It was well priced for a hotel restuarant and well used by non-guests which is a sign a of decent restaurant. The room service menu was the same as the restaurant and priced the same which was a bonus at lunch when a 3 year old is sleeping. Located towards the end of Legian we were still able to make the 3km walk from the hotel to Kuta Square one evening along the road and beach paths. There are plenty of great places to eat within walking distance (a few hundred metres) on Jalan Legian, Jalan Padma or Double Six. The Briella Spa, just outside the main entrance on Jalan Padma is also well worth a visit (or 4 according to my wife). Overall a great hotel for everthing we wanted to do in Bali, relax-eat-pamper. Would return to this hotel anytime.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank The_Travelling_Ts
Reviewed March 21, 2011

As we were holidaying with another family who had already booked their accommodation, our first preference was to stay together at the same hotel. Unfortunately, the hotel they had booked (Kusnadi) was not available, so I began to search through endless reviews hoping to find the perfect venue close by.

Having narrowed our choice down to Kumala Pantai along with a few others, the only really negative feedback I came across was about the towels (we could just buy some if that was a problem, but it wasn't) and unfriendly staff (who could resist my charm?). The photographs I came across (not only on Trip Advisor) looked amazing (I just hoped they hadn't been photo-shopped).

We made our booking direct with the hotel (Luhnik and Desi were prompt with communication) and even had to urgently extend our stay due to a last minute flight change - with no problem at all.

When we arrived (around 11am Bali time), understandably our room wasn't ready. We were a little concerned about leaving our bags in the lobby and returned 2 more times before we could settle in. When we were finally taken to our room tucked away in the corner of the bottom floor of A Block, we were just a little disappointed. Although the room looked just like the pics on the net, we were not happy with the room location. I immediately visited the Reception, kindly asking for another room location (with a view of the pool), which we were offered on the top floor of B Block without any problems whatsoever. The only issue was carrying our luggage and endless purchases up 40 stairs to the 3rd floor, but it was worth it (not to mention how the stairs might have contributed to losing a couple of extra kg's.)

The Ristorante Italia was superb; full buffet breakfast included with our accommodation was fit enough to feed a King. We ate all 3 meals there on our second day, as we were confined to the hotel for Nyepi Day. We also dined for tea on a couple of occasions, lucky enough to enjoy the entertainment a couple of times. And who couldn't resist one of their wood oven pizzas on a room service visit?

The pool was awesome - no matter how many people were splashing about, it could never get full... and even when there were no more spots to relax by the poolside, you could just meander over to the OTHER pool and have a drink or 2 at the swim up bar.
The gardens were exquisite - my daughter especially loved walking the stepping stones across the enormous fish pond.

The staff were exceptional; everyone was welcoming, friendly and responsive to requests. If you weren't greeted first, it was only because they were busy, but a quick Selamat Pagi would put a smile on their face. The Security Staff came to know us quite well, and promised to keep an eye out for my friend and me on our late night escapes to Briella Spa across the road. A special mention to Mega, who tried so hard to reassure me during the Tsunami threat; to the gorgeous porter boy who always wore white and escorted me to reception under his umbrella on a rainy night.

I can honestly say this venue more than met our expectations - we will definitely stay here again. The only slightly negative things I will mention is the bed is as hard as rock (some might like it that way), it would have been nice to have a separate room for our daughter (a little romance would be nice, but that costs $) and the bathroom towels were small but still dried your body after a shower.

I would also like to mention my friends only stayed 4 nights at Kusnadi before deciding to check out and join us at Kumala Pantai, but I'll let them tell you why...!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Jack-Jack-Jackie
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I was stayed in block B on the 3rd floor, the balcony facing the swimming pool. When I enter the room, I see the nice bathroom with bathtub and shower. Hair dryer hang on the wall, complete toiletries...ok..cool. The bad also tidy and beautiful picture on the wall. As I lay my body on the bed I was surprised by a big komodo statue hang on the wall in front of me. Not a beautiful view to see when you just wake up in the morning, but kind of scary also at night . I forgot my slippers for going to the beach. I called the housekeeping but they don't provide room slippers. So I just walk to the beach on barefoot.
Breakfast was nice...and have breakfast outdoor in front is the beach makes me hesitate to leave. Over all..I like this hotel and I would like to go back. Price also reasonable and flat for all seasons. The passion of the owner of statues you can see all over the place..including in the room. My advise...I think they need to take of that komodo from the wall. :)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank jas4fun
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We spent 4 nights recently at the Kumala Pantai in a room in "H" block which apparently is a new wing??

Overall our stay was pretty good. The room was very clean, the balcony was great and the bathroom was large. The hotel grounds were immaculate, the pools were clean, large and there were plenty of chairs, however I think in high season it would be difficult to get a spot.

The breakfast was quite good, with plenty to choose from, and the view of the ocean while you eat breakfast was a great way to start the day. If you are looking for a reasonably priced, clean hotel close to the action of Kuta and Legian then this is the place to stay.

I appreciate that the hotel does not let the touts into the property and there is security at both entrances ensuring your security and privacy. Once you are in the grounds of the hotel the touts can't bother you.

A few negatives: the towels (as mentioned many times in prior reviews) are dreadful, we bought our own towels and used the hotel towles on the floor in the bathroom when it got wet, they REALLY are that bad, i wouldnt use them on my body at all. The pool towels were much better, I just can't understand how a hotel can still be using towels that are obviously many many years old and torn and worn bare.

We had a double bed, but the sheets were not large enough to fit the bed, and every night the bottom sheet would end up all over the place and I would end up sleeping on the bare mattress.

it really annoys me that in this modern age a hotel doesnt offer free wifi in their rooms, you had to pay for the internet in the room, but there was free internet in the restaurant, who wants to bring their laptop to breakfast, this annoyed me.

Our toilet blocked and out balcony door wouldnt close but a call to reception and maintenence were on our doorstep in minutes to fix the problem.

Apart from there minor issues, we would stay there again if we were staying in Legian.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thaiescape11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Puri Raja
#6 of 87 in Legian
Kumala Hotel
Kumala Hotel
#155 of 254 in Kuta

Been to Hotel Kumala Pantai? Share your experiences!