“So so so disappointing.” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Bali Garden Beach Resort
Ranked #38 of 250 Hotels in Kuta
Central Coast NSW
“So so so disappointing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Hubby and I stayed here for a week for our Wedding Anniversary. I had stayed here with some girlfriends 6 months previous to this and had a great time and found the hotel to be terrific - so good in fact I insisted on coming back with hubby for our Anniversary - we go away somewhere each year for this occasion.
What a difference in that 6 months - there was nothing much good at all this time. I made our booking direct with the hotel at $148 US p.n. for Dlx room (so definitely not cheap - and I certainly could have had a better rate thru one of the booking sites. However, preferred to go direct thru hotel in the hope that in their knowledge that is was our Wedding Anniversary I was assured we would have a great room). Not only was this not the case, but absolutely no mention of our Anniversary was even made or acknowledged by any staff member at any time during our stay - that is an absolute first in all 37 years of Anniversary holidays in hotels all over the world. Bad management.
In fact, even though I had booked thru the hotel, they seemed unable to even get our names right and kept referring to my husband as Karen (my friend's name with whom I had stayed at the hotel the 6 months previous to this.) So that's the first issue .... wait it gets worse.
Our Deluxe room had a leaking sink - I mean continuous puddles on the floor under the vanity - took 3 days to get it fixed. Maintenance kept turning up with a ladder to fix it - ??????.
The room had a really awful sewage smell coming from the drain by the toilet - didn't seem able to get that fixed either. I purchased a room freshener to try to alleviate that situation.
Our Air conditioner kept dripping. Maintenance took all day before they turned up to fix it. Then it needed fixing again the next day.
So annoying - definitely not the great room in a lovely property that we had been planning.
The towels this time appeared so old and discoloured (see pics)'they should be discarded.
As guests we pay lots of money every day to stay here - if its not as good or better than my own home then honestly, I don't want to be there.
Sheets were the same, really horrible dirty marks on them (pics). And not changed daily - sheets just turned around on the bed - the dirty marks went from the top sheet to the bottom sheet and from the bedhead to the foot of the bed. Bad housekeeping, really bad.
Housekeeping came well after 2pm every day - annoying. Often they would leave the used towels and room rubbish on the balcony!
I don't know what they clean the floors with but it often felt greasy - yuk.
This time there was never a hand towel for the bathroom (I went and purchased one). There were no facial tissues (again I purchased). There is not even a pen or pencil or writing paper in the room.
The teabags were never replaced - another thing I went and purchased.
Breakfast is good. However I dont know of any other hotel in Bali that just leaves the cooked bacon to just sit in a big bowl in the heat of the day - rather than keep it hot in a bain marie. Cant be good practice re bacteria and food temperature.
The policy for internet and wifi in the hotel is ridiculous (and expensive). However, not advertised or notified is the fact that wifi is available and free at the boardwalk and in some parts of the pool area - but of course hotel would rather we pay for it so nobody tells u this.
Pool Towels - again , a strange procedure. You have to hire the pool towels (outlay more money; u get it back in the end..... if you remember to go and claim it back) - from the shop at totally the other end of the resort from the pool - and change for fresh ones there also (a long walk from pool).
Lots of people (other than hotel guests) use the Boardwalk Restaurant. Its very good. However, these people then use the pool and stay, often using the pool loungers and staying all day. I witnessed this several times, with young people strolling in and making themselves at home around the pools. I didn't feel good about this or comfortable with it for security, and it certainly makes the area more crowded than it needs to be.
We paid the very hefty $60 for a late checkout on our departure day. Only to find that after midday our key no longer worked. Again, very frustrating and annoying and yet another thing that had to be sorted out.
On checkout day, our bill was initially quite incorrect. Thank goodness a young lady on reception who knew what she was doing took over and rectified the account without too much trouble ...... but what if we hadn't picked up on it.???
All in all, not a great experience. Shame after we had such high expectations and were really looking forward to our stay here. I doubt we would return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank IamAussietraveller
BaliGarden, Public Relations Manager at Bali Garden Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear IamAussietraveller,
Warmest Greeting from Bali Garden Beach Resort…

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about all your experience at our resort. I am truly sorry that our service did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We have certainly addressed the issues that you have experienced in our resort. We apologies that your wedding anniversary was not acknowledge. It is with regret that we did not deliver the positive experience on this occasion.

We appreciate your sharing and concern. Nevertheless, we are pleased that you have sufficient faith in us to bring this problem to our attention, thus giving us the opportunity to put things right. We have managed to contact you through e-mail in order to discuss your issues and find a satisfactory resolution. I look forward to hearing back from you.

smm@baligardenbeachresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Navi Mumbai, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at the the Bali Garden Beach resort, Kuta during Christmas. I'll start by saying that it's a good hotel in a good location, but as your stay progresses you will realise a lot of issues cropping up regarding the staff or the facilities of the room itself. My full review then -

Booking -

We made our reservation for 2 rooms through agoda. I was happy with the experience of dealing with agoda, and frankly we got the best rate there. I booked 2 superior rooms, about a month before our stay. No amount was charged from my card upon booking, but the full amount was debited about a week before our stay there.

We paid USD 87 per room per night including all taxes and breakfast. This was a really good rate considering it was the week before Christmas.

Location -

the location is fabulous - right in the middle of all the action. The Waterbom park is just across the small 2-lane street. The Discovery mall is bang next door too! Also, lots of cafe's, restaurants, money changers, shops, 7-11's etc. are all around the hotel. So, the location is tops! It's also less than 10 minutes away from the Bali airport.

Lobby -

The entrance and lobby area are good, with lots of space and seating arrangement. It's also a busy lobby with lots of people moving about. There was enough security too, so always felt safe.

Check-in -

I was checked in by the friendly Purnami at about 1.30 p.m We had emailed the hotel directly (remember we booked with agoda though) for inter-connecting rooms. So this was already fed into the hotel's system. and 2 inter-connected rooms were reserved for us in advance.

We also got upgraded to a garden-facing room on the ground floor, so this was very welcome! We had to sit for about half-an-hour till the room was ready, and promptly at 2 p.m, official check-in time, we were escorted to our rooms, one flight Below the reception area, at the end of the corridors.

Room - 131/ 132 -

The rooms were big and spacious. 131 was a King bed, while 132 was 2 single beds. Both rooms had a small balcony and sitting area outside, and I could see that since 131 was the corner room, it was slightly bigger than the other rooms on the same floor. There were also 2 comfortable sofa-chairs in the room near the floor to ceiling windows, which gave a lovely view of the gardens outside.

A short walk directly from the balcony of our room lead to the 2 swimming pool grounds, and further to the beach! So this was very convenient, but there was of course no system to lock the balcony door, so we just used the side entrance of the corridor which basically lead outside.

About the room - LCD TV with lots of channels.

That's where the good part of the room facilities stops.

Now then - no pen or pencil in the room. Both the rooms. Which hotel doesn't have their own pen in the room? No tissues either on the writing desk. Yes, there's a kettle to make tea/ coffee, but they provide only 2 - yes only 2 - tea bags, and only 2 creamers.

And then, there's that most intriguing contraption in the room, kept away inside of the wardrobe, where you are supposed to store your valuables - yes folks, hold your breath, I'm talking about the room safe.

I have never ever in all my travels across 1-star and 5-star hotels/ guesthouses/ hostels seen such a device labelled as a room safe. it was unbelievable - we just could not operate it, despite the instructions given. We called housekeeping many times, and they kept using the master key to show how it operates, but even then, it would require a quick physics course to understand how this system works. It's not electronic, you have to choose number and then there's a lever like a knob which you turn to one side to lock and the other side to unlock.

Absolutely confusing and ridiculous! We just kept our passports in the bag and locked the bags really well. What a safe.

Bathroom -

was okay, but the towels we got throughout our stay were old and dirty, And I say throughout, which means that they really need to replace all that bunch they are giving to their guests.

WI-FI -

Free wi-fi given only for 30 minutes per stay. NOT per day, but per stay. So whether you stay for 1 night, or 5 nights, you're going to get 30 minutes. 1800 seconds. (How about a stop-watch with that?) After that, its USD 2 per hour. Expensive.

TIP - just use the free wi-fi at the Discovery mall which is next door.

Breakfast -

Good breakkie spread, but SAD brekkie staff. Not interested in refilling coffee/ tea, not interested in clearing used plates, not interested in responding to calls... Major attitude problems.

But the banana pancakes were really good! And a good spread otherwise too with the usual croissants, eggs, cereals, hot food, some cold cuts, yogurt, sliced fruit, toast maker etc.

Mosquitoes -

Because we had a garden facing room, we were constantly wary of them huge, sharp nosed, humming and lethal flying creatures - the mosquitoes. Keep the doors shut, windows shut and enter and exit quickly. This was a problem all over Bali, and more so during the rainy season of December, so please carry a repellent and a machine which you can attach at night to one of the plug points.

Check-out - Airport

was quick and easy. There is a room for baggage storage too if you want to use this facility. We asked the concierge to call a Bluebird taxi for us - it took about 20 minutes for one to show up, and this at 4.30 p.m So do factor in the waiting time, but the airport was a short ride away in the evening, and we were there in about 15 minutes. The fare by meter was 26,000 rupiah, and this included the 3000 rupiah airport ticket. A thumbs up for Bluebird!

So the Bali Garden has an excellent location, and we always felt safe staying there, breakfast was good and the rooms were clean and spacious.

Negatives - I filled in the Guest response card with my e-mail id and highlighted -

1. Old and dirty towels everyday
2. no pen
3. no tissues
4. attitude of breakfast staff
5. only 30-min wifi
6. the ridiculous room safe!
7. No reply from the management about my Guest response card.

I have not received any kind of reply from the hotel whether they even bother to look into these issues.

If all these negatives are sorted out, I'm sure the Bali Garden can well be a 5-star property. But Until then, it gets a 3-star in my book.

Room Tip: Garden facing rooms are good, carry mosquito repellent!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank RainmanMumbai
Dear RainmanMumbai,
Warmest Greeting from Bali Garden Beach Resort…

I really appreciate you detail and great review. We are delighted to serve you as our guest and you are right, we have the best accommodation location close to everywhere. However, I apologies if you still found some issues regarding our room facilities and services.

Thank you for your comment in relation to the provision in the room. In reference to the safe, we are pleased to advise that we are in process of upgrading all of our in room safe to electronic safe. Thus, that would allow guest to easily set up their own safe.

With regards to the towel, the water in Bali has a high magnesium content which unfortunately contributes to discoloring our towels. We have a process in place to replace all towels as this occurs and we will ensure unacceptable towel are taken from circulations.

We apologies if you still find mosquitoes in your room. But please acknowledge that we have a regular fogging program and take daily measures to eliminate any mosquito issues, particularly during our wet season.

Our Management has acknowledge your comments on our guest comment card and will take measure to continue to improve our product and service. We have discussed each issue to each responsible department to ensure that this does not happen to our future guest.

Once again, thank you for taking time to provide us with such valuable feedback, it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you better. I look forward to welcoming you back. If I could be any assistance in your future reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

My 19 year old daughter stayed at this lovely hotel in a Deluxe Room, just loved it. The rooms are very clean and Balinese Style, with a little patio with table and chairs set amongst the gardens of the hotel.
The property has amazing pools, and fantastic very well priced food. A cocktail $5.00AUD tapas at the pool from $3.00AUD. Pool Bar wonderful, staff great!
The location is amazing, right on the beach.
The restaurants are well priced as they have so many. We loved the café next to the hotel, so cheap and food amazing, order all the entrees YUMMO!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Therese G
BaliGarden, Public Relations Manager at Bali Garden Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Therese G,
Warmest Greeting from Bali Garden Beach Resort...

Thank you so much for your review .
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent stay at Bali Garden. We appreciate all points you have made in your comments, since it will serve as an encouragement to all our staff to continuously improve the quality of our hotel, customer service and guest well-being.

It is our hope that we will be welcoming your return to Bali Garden Beach Resort in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I liked the "Garden" . The place was perhaps not brand new but roms were huge and kept very clean. the breakfast was absolutely to do for, and I liked the location. Staff were very friendly and made us feel at home.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark P
Dear Mark P,
Warmest Greeting from Bali Garden Beach Resort...

It is always encouraging when our guests have a wonderful and fantastic stay at our resort. I will pass your comments to all our staff and Bali Garden Team. Again we really appreciate your positive response and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in january. Two adults and three teenagers in adjoining rooms. Could not fault the staff or the location. The rooms may be a little dated but still clean and functional.

Great breakfast every morning.

Ideal location for kuta, Beach and waterbom.

As for wi fi? Its a holiday. Lets put down the devices and enjoy ourselves. Even the teens managed for a few days.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Nathan P,
Warmest Greeting from Bali Garden Beach Resort...

Thank you for taking the time to write this review regarding on your stay at our resort.
You are right we have a great location resort close to everywhere.

However, I apologies if you felt that our room is a little outdated. Our main goal here is trying to maintain our traditional Balinese atmosphere and ambience of the room. Thus, we want our guest to be able to feel the Balinese style of the room and get the Balinese "feel" by staying at our resort.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you better in the future. If I could be any assistance in your future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me.

perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed at Bali garden from the 19th to 24th January 2014,First time staying in this area .
Hotel was very clean our rooms were a little old looking but very comfortable we were on the ground floor room133 with friends in 137 which was the same,We had a huge king bed and king single in our room with plenty of space to store cases amd move around.
our balcony opened onto a pond with lush gardens all around (hardly saw a mozzie!) they fog 3 times a week and we just sprayed our room at night and used mozzie spray.
Lcd tv with heaps of channels, we were able to get wifi in our room although it was a little patchy,
bit steep that you have to pay for this service though and be mindful that you have to log out everytime you finish by going into the http address on the bottom of the slip they give you, the girls at reception dont tell you this I think as they dont really understand,
The hotel asks for a $5 deposit on the pool towels which we found to be a pain so we just bought some $ 4.50 in the lobby gift shop,this was handy and very reasonably priced.
Also money changer on site was brilliant and offered same rate as on the street.
The pools are lovely the staff are fantastic,particularly Edi at the pool.
The breakfast is the usual egg station etc,but get's really busy.We tried to book into the spa onsite which was constantly busy, I had made a booking for an early morning massage but when I went to the appointment someone had rubbed it out, so missed out, suggest making your appointment with reception as the spa ladies seem to get confused.
The Boardwalk restaurant was really excellent value and the food was great,also enjoyed sitting watching the sunset down there and the people going by on the beach path,If I could take this hotel and move it to Legian It would be perfect to me, was not impressed with the area around the hotel, but would highly recommend BGBR particularly for families.A big thank you to the wonderful staff for making our stay very enjoyable !!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank suzieivory
BaliGarden, Public Relations Manager at Bali Garden Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear suzieivory,
Warmest Greeting from Bali Garden Beach Resort...

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience staying at our resort.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. However I apologies if you still find some isse with our reception and pool towel. We have certainly addressed the issue of our front office with the management team as we strive to provide superior service expeirience for every customer.
Regarding on the pool towel, we would only ask for deposit money and as soon as guests return it back to us.
And yes we have a shop in our hotel that sell things in a reasonable price.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience. If I could be any assistance in your future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Me and my wife stayed here for 4 nights in December 2013 and we were quite pleased with the place.

Pros:
1. Rooms are spacious and equipped with all necessary ameneties. Cleanliness and electronics were perfect.
2. There is a nice view of the garden from the rooms and the pools are awesome. Beach is just a small walk away.
3. All the attractions and food-joints are nearby. The restaurants in the campus are exciting and serve delicious food. Broadwalk, Batan Waru are amazing and Discovery mall is just adjacent to the place. Street shops are just a 5 minute walk away.
4. Breakfast is great and it is indeed an USP of the place. There is a lot of variety in food.
5. Staff was courteous and lovely. Their smile make you feel at home. Check-In and Check-out was smooth. Online booking is advisable and quite convenient.
6. Waterbom Bali is just opposite to the resort.

Cons :
1. The in-campus help desk for tours and money-exchange is almost useless. Avoid.
2. Near to no option for vegetarians in the breakfast. They can have only breads.

Overall it was a pleasant experience at the property and I shall be visiting Bali again for sure.

Room Tip: Choose the deluxe rooms away from pool to avoid noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deepak P
Dear deepakrpathak,
Warmest Greeting from Bali Garden Beach Resort...

I really appreciate your great review. We are deligted to serve you as a guest and you are right, we have the best accomodation location close to everywhere. We also have a great staff who will great everyone with smile.

However, we apologies if our tour desk is not being very hepful. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurence.
Regarding on your breakfast, we always change our menu each day so we do provide wide varieties of food. We always have fresh cut fruits, cheese, bread, cereals, and milk.

We appreciate your sharing and concern. Thank you for taking time to provide us with such valuable feedback. Hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you better. I look forward to welcoming you back and if I could be any assistance in your future reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me.