“good mexican but not great”

TJ's Mexican Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #55 of 1,024 Restaurants in Kuta
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Reviewed July 25, 2013

been eating here for 14 years and the food is pretty good but not awesome like so many other Bali eateries now.they should step it up a bit as they have been left behind.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,066)

Reviewed July 25, 2013

TJ's down Poppies 1 is a well known spot for Westerners to grab a filling meal. Crowded most nights but a fun atmosphere. Served quickly and drinks delivered promptly. Ordered the chile con queso and salsa starters - very nice but bit small and not enough corn chips. Variety of food ordered - tacos and chimy chunga all delicious - only problem. Food a bit too spicy for children.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We arrived at peak dining time to a full restaurant, but rather than send us away nibbles and Margaritas were organised, until a table became available.

It's all rather relaxed at TJ's and when we were seated it was to be curled up on a lounge with side tables. My daughters thought this was quiet novel, fun & preferred this to the general table & chair dining.

The menu was not as extensive as some Mexican restaurants, but the staff were charming, the place had a lovely relaxed ambience about it and we all had a lovely night.

We really enjoy strolling down Poppies Lane and discovering what lies behind the entries of some of the restaurants. And this is very much one of those restaurants. Dinner for 3 including drinks was under $40.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

pretty good place to eat, good vibe and atmosphere. pretty busy but food was fast and cheap. pretty tasty as well. would go again and recommend.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our family enjoyed eating here so much we went back twice while we were in Bali. I loved the relaxed atmosphere and the service was great. Food was very tasty and the Margarita's were mmmm delicious. I had the chicken enchiladas both times and they were lovely and good size servings. The only thing I could say that was negative about my meal was that it wasn't quite hot enough for me. Not as in spicy hot, but warmth hot and I found this on both occasions. I would have liked to have popped it in the microwave for about a minute to make it piping hot, however, I can't fault anything else about TJ's and when we are next in Kuta, it will be one of our first restaurant stops. Delicious!!