“Food 9/10, but the prices??”
Review of Poppies Restaurant

Poppies Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 967 Restaurants in Kuta
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: For over four decades we have welcomed visitors and friends from around the world to these hanging gardens of Kuta, offering them fine dining and calming respite from the ever-increasing hustle and bustle beyond our walls. Our current menu includes several house favourites that remain as popular today as when we introduced them in 1973.
Melbourne, Australia
“Food 9/10, but the prices??”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I first went to Poppies back in the late 70's, and have eaten there at least once every trip, so over 50 meals. It was great+ back then and still is good, but I think the standard has sagged a little, still good, but not great. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the prices because they've blown out.

The gardens are still quite spectacular.

I went there with my family, 2 adults, 2 kids, and being a birthday, I ordered a cake, a 15 cm (6" diameter) Tiramisu. It was $30.00!!! We didn't finish the cake so asked for a box, and it was the Bali Bakery box it came in. I didn't get the opportunity to check the price of the same cake at Bali Bakery, but I suspect it wouldn't have been more than $10-12.00. I'm not opposed to a business making a profit, but that was an over the top mark up.

The adults had only one glass of wine each, and kids one diet coke each, one main course each, and the total bill was $80.00+. That's $50.00 for dinner before the cake!!

Up until a couple of years ago, I would have given Poppies 10/10, and the service, ambience, toilet cleanliness, etc., still are, but the menu and food isn't quite so good, prices now outrageous, so overall I give it only 4 'dots', Very Good.

• Visited September 2013
SambalSamuiBali, Owner at Poppies Restaurant, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review for us, and also for the great review on Strawberry Hill. We especially value reviews from our faithful repeat customers for obvious reasons.

The easiest statement to respond to is that our cake price was an over the top mark up, and we do refute that, with the following explanation. We currently buy the 15 cm (6") Tiramisu cake from Bali Bakery for IDR 203,500, which is AUD 19.00, not AUD 10-12.00 as you suppose. At Poppies you were charged IDR 240,000 - that's AUD 22.00, not AUD 30.00 as you stated - as we are selling it in a restaurant, and have to collect it from Bali Bakery, store and serve it on plates etc. We do not add tax or service charge to that amount. Incidentally you had ordered your cake previously according to its size and its price.

Regarding your other points, I can assure all of our patrons that we are actually working harder than ever to maintain and even improve on our standards, because we are faced with an enormous amount of competition compared to the old days. We still strive to provide not just quality food and drink at reasonable prices, but a host of other features both seen and unseen, which drive up our costs to those of a professional establishment, but which go together to make up the whole that is Poppies Restaurant.

It is true that we recently increased some prices, but we were very selective, and looked very closely at each item's real cost first, so as not to overcharge. To label our prices outrageous is really unfair. It's worth mentioning that every service business in Indonesia, and especially in Bali, is currently struggling to deal with rampant inflation resulting from fuel price increases and subsequent uncontrolled speculation on a grand scale.

We truly hope you will return to Poppies Restaurant as you have many times, and meanwhile we are very grateful for the 4 dots.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Poppies, in Poppies lane 1 is hidden behind a high brick wall which screens it from the hustle and bustle of the alleyway.
I initially found the restaurant many years ago by looking through the doors from the laneway to see what was there, surprisingly to find a wonderful very clean and tidy restaurant in a perfect setting.
I eat there every time I visit Bali and have tried many of the numerous dishes. My favorite starter is the raw tuna and butterfish with side ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce to compliment the taste buds. The fish melts in your mouth and everyone I have given a taste to ( they are not into raw fish ) also think it is delicious. The menu is varied and there are daily specials.
Drinks are a little more expensive and the 10% + 5% taxes add to the cost.
The toilets are first class and if you go to the "gents" you can also see a spotless kitchen.
If you are on a budget I would still treat yourself to this hidden gem.

Melbourne, Australia
“Oasis”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Let's be blunt - Poppies has the cleanest, most stylish and 'authentic' western toilets in the known galaxy. In a land not subjugated to the need for spotless sanitation, Poppies is a delight.
Now that's said, let me also say that when you are sick of playing dodgem with motor bikes ferreting down narrow lanes, tootle into Poppies. It is indeed the oasis within which one can take breath and calm down whilst sitting protected within high walls, next to a pond with running water and fish and whilst watching big black beetles gorge on tropical flowers dangling from the overhead canopy.
Add in to the equation, a welcome from the lovely Balinese who must lead the world in gracious service.
Food, well it is pretty good but somewhat westernised. Our Sashimi was a delight on a hot day and the spring rolls were nice but just spring rolls. The multi-flavoured ice cream was basic Neopolitan in a glass. Not that exciting.
Would I go back? In a heartbeat.

Cairns Region, Australia
“Always eat here once every trip”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We always eat at Poppies Restaurant every trip to Bali.
Hidden behind the stone wall on Poppies 1, once you walk through the entrance it is like being a little wonderland of Bali.
The atmosphere is always welcoming, and the food is always top class.
This time we shared the Indonesian platter for two, I highly recommend this selection so you can try a little of the cuisine from around Indonesia.
I usually always have the rib eye steak, great meal and excellent value.
Some of the best surroundings in any restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
Mechelen, Belgium
“Great place to be”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

It' s a while ago (2008) since i went there but back then it was really a great place! The service is great and the food even better!! There is a lot of choice on the menu, and you have to go there more then once to find out and discover the menu... it's for sure not the cheapest in Kuta but it's worth it to pay a bit more. The place is very cosy and there is privacy even when it's very busy. It's a good idea to make a reservation if you don't want to visit McDo ;-)

• Visited October 2012