“Nice Garden and Food but the Rats killed the mood and atmosphere”
Review of Poppies Restaurant

Poppies Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 1,049 Restaurants in Kuta
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: For over four decades we have welcomed visitors and friends from around the world to these hanging gardens of Kuta, offering them fine dining and calming respite from the ever-increasing hustle and bustle beyond our walls. Our current menu includes several house favourites that remain as popular today as when we introduced them in 1973.
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Our family decided to visit the well known Poppies Restaurant for lunch. The place has a lovely garden setting. We were seated near the little bridge and ordered our meals. Their garlic bread and mixed satay were beautiful. I ordered the lobster thermidor which is a good price compared to Aussie prices. My boys and husband ordered steaks and my daughters ordered fettucini and my friend ordered the lamb curry. The waitperson was very polite and friendly, always smiling. We also did not have to wait long for our drinks. We enjoyed our Starters and while waiting for the main meal, we kept on hearing this noise coming from the rooftop. We ignored it and after a few minutes, the noise got louder. I thought at first they were cats chasing each other but what startled us all was when two massive rats jumped out of the roof, chasing each other and climbed into a hole in the building. Not sure if this was the toilet or whatever part of the building it was,
It totally killed the mood of the whole family. My 10 year old daughter in particular was not able to eat her fettucini property. We quickly had our lunch and though we usually order for desserts, we decided to skip it this time.

I don't know what the management can do to deter rats from the restaurant as it just totally kills the nice ambiance.

The main meals were nice but I would say average, nothing to rave about. The price was reasonable but after our experience with the rats, I don't think I would like to return to the place as I can order the food on their menu elsewhere. If it weren't for the rats, we perhaps would return.

1  Thank HolidaymakerFamily
Write a ReviewReviews (1,947)

Reviewed October 9, 2011

Called into Poppies restaurant in Poppies lane Kuta, two days prior to my sons birthday. Spoke with the manager who assured us of a good table etc. Two days later on the 29 Sep 2011at 7pm arrived at restaurant with my family. There was very loud Bob Dylan music blaring out of the speakers just behind us. At the bar there was an Australian couple virtually yelling at the barman to "TURN THE MUSIC UP" I thought the staff would sort him out as I could see other diners were uncomfortable with the situation. But no-the barman was laughing while this obviously drunken guy was telling jokes and doing tricks. Then the rest of the staff including kitchen staff all joined around while this guy did a trick with drinking straws. The guy again was requesting songs and yelling to turn the music up. Our meals arrived. The order was wrong. We finished our average quality dinner as quick as we could. Didn't do the birthday cake thing and then left asap. Two years ago I went to poppies restaurant there was Indonesian music playing. The food was good and overall it was hard to fault. The following morning I went back to give the manager feedback. He listened but I felt he was just keeping me happy. Poppies is not cheap. If I want to go to a restaurant where the food is average and there are drunken patrons yelling to turn up the music I could save myself lost's of money by going to Secret Garden restaurant also in poppies lane. In fact I did eat at Secret Garden restaurant and for the money it was better.

2  Thank MarkF54
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Nice small garden restaurant,after walked in Poppies 1 (very small street,sometimes u must stop to walk if motorcycle come :p) its like little oase place for u. Good food and price not expensive. I could say enough cheap compared w other restaurants in Bali.
I eat "tongseng" and myboyf eat "soto ayam" all good included drinks. Hope someday I can back to there.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

very good location!is near kuta beach!very taste traditional food!the only probled is rats...

1  Thank DIMITRIOSMAK
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Took a while to find it in the alleys even with a map but it was a great retreat from the craziness of the town. Good place to catch a Break. Prices were reasonable the calamari was average but the garlic bread delicious. Worth a visit