“Great budget hotel in a top spot”
Review of Masa Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kuta
Masa Inn
Ranked #68 of 252 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed April 8, 2010

This may be the best cheap hotel in Kuta. Two ex-pats I met there said so. It's about half way up Poppies 1 laneway.

I paid 225,000 per night on my own for an upstairs room near the back pool (about $26 AUD per night). There was 2 king single beds. Rooms come with a portable clothes airer that was really handy. Mine was always on the balcony drying my towels and shorts. They don’t mind you leaving it out there. The grounds are very Bali - neat, green and relaxing. The pools were clean and large. No spa. No swim up bar, but you can take your own drinks to the pool.

The rooms and bathroom are old but clean. The TV is a little high up on the wall, but perfect for watching DVDs while lying in bed. No DVD player, no kettle, no shower soaps. There is a safe. Bathroom sink had lots of space to store stuff.

At the hotel entrance in Poppies 1 laneway, there is a laundry service, a DVD store where DVD player rental is 30,000 per day, several internet cafes, massage lounges, cheap cafes and Kwiki-marts. Perfect! (There are also the more expensive cafes and bars if you prefer). Sunset on Kuta beach is about a 5 minute walk away- although I always took the motorbike as it was so hot! The legian nightclub strip is about a 5-10 min walk away.

I hired a motorbike from one of the security guards and his mate across the laneway has a 7 seater car and only charged me 50,000 to take me to the airport. The staff were friendly and they always recognised me to give me my room key - no questions ever asked. Breakfast was toasted sandwiches/eggs/pancakes with fresh juice and stays open til 11am.

There's no private balcony, the entrance to the rooms is via the balcony terrace. The window curtain does not cover up the top part of the window, so morning light and neighboring balcony night lights do stream thru, but this wasnt an issue for me.
Great hotel for the price. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank JF075

Reviewed March 16, 2010

Affordable, Beautiful pools, close to the beach, poppies and all the nightlife. My friend did get electrocuted trying to use our adapter but the Staff was great, friendly and helpful!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank bskiii
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Below are my comments. Note that we were there during low season.

1. Good price of 300,000 to 350,000 per night
2. Clean bathroom, hot water available, water pressure no problem, small ref does its job, the beds were fixed everyday
3. nice garden, tho most Bali resorts have this
4. small but nice pools (they have 2)
5. friendly staff =)
6. Balinese-themed rooms are beautiful (i just took a sneak peek)

The not-so-good IMHO:
1. the breakfast is a bit limited -- different ways of cooking but the same egg, bacon, tuna, tomato and toast
2. quite far from the beach thru the narrow poppies lane. (Maybe if the nearby construction of a mall is done, the walk would be more pleasing)
3. for the big/family room, the aircon is too weak, even at coldest setting. The room cools to a temp expected of an air-conditioned room only during late at night

Added notes
- Relatively nearer than others to Legian street for some night life
- We were there low season -- i wonder how crowded (and noisy) the pool area can get during high/peak season

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank yapak
Reviewed March 2, 2010

At Rp300,000 a night,this hotel was definitely good value for my money.The room was clean with sufficient ammenities.There were 50 TV channels to choose from including channels from Europe,U.S and other Asian counties.The hotel was also centrally located and I could find almost anything I need within 5 minutes walking distance.

The only drawback was the room could get a bit warm.I stayed on the highest floor and on some days (as well as night) it could get pretty warm.I think it was due to the poorly located air condition.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jf_fry
Reviewed March 1, 2010

This hotel is ok. It is in a good location and close to the beach. We stayed in two different rooms. The first room was really nice. The second room was not as great. The bathroom was disgusting. I would recommend asking to see a room before staying the night there. Would recommend--just ask to see a room first.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank studyabroadsg
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Stayed here for one night.The staff at the front desk were really friendly and helpful.We had a room down near the rear pool,on the second floor.The rooms were a good size but were tired and the bathroom was old but clean. The room had a safe in it,which is a bonus for budget accomadation There were chairs out the front of the room on the balcony to sit at but all the other guests from rooms beyond would walk past, so there was no privicy. At night, trying to get to sleep the outside light was on all night and just came through the top window above the curtains .Bad for the first night in Bali,needing a good night sleep,The breakfast in the morning was good.We had a chioce of a limited menu but was sufficent.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2010

Myself and 2 friends stayed at Masa Inn for 3 nights in November 09 and decided we would try staying at a hotel down the poppies lane area as we normally stay in Legian and dont seem to get down that end much. Masa Inn was recommended by a few people who said it was great value and pretty good overall so we thought we would give it a shot. We stayed in the more expensive 'balinese room' which was nice enough I guess but all a bit daggy, especially the bathroom, very tired, extremely dark and old. They didnt change our towels daily and pretty sure the sheets werent changed either. Had to ask them every day for clean towels. The ugly plastic bin sitting right in front of the verandahs of every room where anyone who walked by could dump their rubbish (and they did) was a terrible idea as everytime I walked in our door I had to walk past a bin full of other peoples rubbish! Breakfast was the most basic and worst I have had anywhere. The pools werent bad and gardens were nice and well kept and with a bit of attention to detail, like nice clean tablecloths on the breakfast tables, clean towels and sheets daily, supply of towels by the pool so you didnt have to ask everytime you wanted one and a bit of a basic refurbishment in the rooms and the place could really be quite decent and you wouldnt mind paying extra $$.

Its not a big hotel so you didnt have to walk a mile to your room which was good. The staff were nice enough and we got lovely cold washers on arrival which was great. The location was good but if you wanted a taxi somewhere, forget trying to hail one as they cant get up the narrow alley so you either hire the drivers out the front or walk.

Overall, it was ok and if you are on a budget and dont want to spend much then stay there as its good value for the price and what you get, but if you can afford a bit more, I would pick something of a higher standard.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends