“Good value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #148 of 250 Hotels in Kuta
Victoria, Australia
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I had stayed at Bakung Sari 3 years ago and we came back again this year. The rooms seemed to have improved and we enjoyed our stay here. It is great value for money. Breakfast is very basic and the staff weren't as friendly as we remembered, but we were out and about most of the time anyway :) Rooms and pool were clean and it is a nice quiet place to stay. We booked through Agoda and requested a double bed and got 2 singles! Staff were very helpful though and were able to change us to another room with a big bed (and working toilet) the next day. Great location close to Legian and also Kuta Beach and Jalan Pantai to go to Discovery Mall and restaurants etc.

Room Tip: Rooms up the back away from the main pool area are nice and quiet :)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Bakungsari and thoroughly enjoyed it! The staff were lovely and the location was perfect!
The restaurant was lovely and the pool was always clean.
Not too far from the Matahari and beach maybe 10 minutes max.
I will definitely stay at the Bakungsari again!!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hannah047
Ararat, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was the first time that I have been over seas, My self, but my two girlfriends had been to Bali before,
Well, I can say the room was basic, but I found it very clean, beds made every day . we were not in there much, only to sleep. I found it clean, staff were very friendly. REMEMBER not many can speak good English,
Breakfast was good and filling. Staff that I had dealings with were very quited, but helpful, That is there nature.
no the internet was not good.
It was only a 10 min walk to the beach, Good places to eat, Loved the Day U11. Meal was great, So thank you Norman, you lovely wife, and the other man. loved it .
So yes I would stay at Bakung sari again

Room Tip: older people just make sure that you get a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kryssie351
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We booked the first 2 nights of our bali trip in a deluxe room at Bakungsari as it was in a good location and was cheap as chips. Ended up staying for 4 nights, not because it was amaaaazing but it was certainly everything we needed for a very good price and a nice place to come back to after a hectic kuta day!
First impressions were good.
Room was up 2 flights of stairs & had nice new decor, tv and fridge. Beds were made each day and room cleaned with no security issues.
Breaky was included and was more than adequate. Free wifi a bonus.

My hot tip would be- Take earplugs! There is a cheeky rooster who begins crowing at 5am and doesn't stop.
Also, while the staff are friendly, they're not very obliging when it comes to booking tours, transport etc so maybe find someone else to help you sort that :)

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank RadVantures
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I booked into the BAKUNGSARI HOTEL as my sons wanted somewhere cheap, giving them more money for spending. I was a bit nervous about this booking, as I had read some terrible reviews on TRIPADVISOR but decided to just wait and see.
I hated my first room, but the staff were very good about showing me other rooms, before I found one that I liked - I looked at 2 others before deciding on the room I ended up staying in for my 2 weeks in Bali.

I had booked into a DELUXE room [ originally called the STANDARD room ] which has a spa bath, double bed, flat screen television, etc, but I hated not having a balcony and feeling shut away from the rest of the hotel visitors, so my 29 year old son swapped rooms with me as he loved the idea of having the refurbished and more modern room.
He had the 'SUPERIOR' room [ I do not think 'superior room' is a good description. Probably should be called a Standard room?] which overlooks the pool, has a balcony and is definitely not flash and modern like the DELUXE room.

However, I loved this room and on my second day there, I finally felt settled and happy.
Yes, they are not modern, the television reception is very-much 'off and on' [ i.e. decides when it wants to allow certain channels ] and the bathroom tiles have mould on them, but the rooms are cleaned every day, and to perfection with clean sheets on your bed, floors washed and whole room cleaned beautifully.
My only suggestion is take one of your own towels, as when they clean your room, they take away your towels, and quite often forget to replace them. However, I just rang reception and clean towels were immediately delivered to me, by the friendly and happy staff.

So, if you arrive and don't like your room, just ask to look for another one. Don't complain on Trip Advisor about the state of your room; just find a better one, as they are there, as I found with the room I finally ended up in. The staff want to help you, so don't be afraid to ask for another room - you will find one you like.

And remember,THIS IS A BUDGET HOTEL SO DON'T EXPECT THE RITZ when you are paying so little for your accomodation.

We ended up getting our rooms for only $25 a night, through ASIA ROOMS, and you just cannot be a whiner and whinger when you are paying so little. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, but we felt we got a lot for our money - close to the hub of shops such as MATAHARIS, and walking distance to Poppies Lane 1 and 2.

The breakfasts are very basic. Last year I stayed at the DEWI SRI which is supposedly only a 2 star hotel but apart from a very basic room, the grounds were gorgeous and the breakfast was buffet so loads to choose from and eat. BAKUNGSARI breakfast was just a cup of tea/coffee [as many as you like ], 2 slices of toast, 1 egg and 1 slice of bacon, and a bowl of fruit [ but other choices to substitute the above, such as pancake with honey, rice/noodles, etc ], but it was a substantial breakfast and the fact that it is included in your price is fantastic.

The staff in the dining room, along with the gardener, are just the most beautiful, happy and wonderful people. They work long hours, with little pay, and yet they always have a smile and positive attitude, and I admire and respect these hard-working men and women as they were always a joy to be around.

The only time I had a problem with a staff member, was when I rang reception, for the second time, asking if they could have someone come to fix my television, as I couldn't get a lot of the English channels. One of the men on reception was 'huffiing and puffing' on the phone with me, basically showing his impatience at my request, so I ended up going down to reception and letting him know, in the nicest and kindest way, that I didn't appreciate his huffing and puffing and that he needed to be ' a lot kinder' with me. To his credit, he did apologise, so I'm hoping my patience with him, when telling him that I did not appreciate his impatience with me, will be taken on board.
However, apart from him, I found all of the staff to be absolutely amazing and positive people who wanted to help you in every way.

What I did notice that a lot of the hotel guests totally ignored the gardener, who worked for up to 10 hours.clipping the hedges, cleaning the pool, sweeping the grounds, tidying up pool chairs and cushions, trimming flower bushes, and just working non-stop to ensure the hotel grounds continued to look clean and gorgeous. I began chatting with this lovely man each day, giving him a bottle of water as it was so hot, but I was by a pool with water to cool me off, whereas he worked in the heat, without complaint, and did such an amazing job each and every day. So please don't ignore this lovely man, just because he works in the background - he is just as important as all the other staff members, and works just as hard.

There are no electric jugs in your room, so if you're wanting a cuppa when you wake up, buy a cheap jug and then leave it for one of the staff, when you go - they will appreciate it so much. I asked the staff who cleaned my room each day, to put a double bed sheet on my single bed, and they did this without any problems. I was having a war with my single bedsheet on the first night, so having the double sheet solved this immediately. I left $1/$2 Australian coin each morning for my cleaner, which they love to receive, and also was my thankyou for looking after me and my room so well.

Sleep-wise - there was a rooster that began crowing every morning at 5 a.m. so if you don't want to be woken by this rooster, book a room that is closest to the reception area, as this rooster is at the back and side of the rooms that are parallel to the reception area i.e. the rooms face the pool on three sides, so the rooms that will be affected by the roosters are as follows : imagine an arch and that the 'rooster' rooms are the top part of this arch; not the sides.However, I'm an early riser, so it didn't affect me.

I have written a lot here, but I wanted possible visitors here to see that it is not as bad as so many have written on TRIP ADVISOR. As I've said, you do get what you pay for, but I like my comforts of home and I was very happy with everything here. Instead of complaining people need to be more relaxed and positive. If you are woken by drunken revellers, don't complain as you get this in EVERY hotel.

I had a 'sound machine' that I turned on every night before going to sleep - it blocked out any noise, including the crowing of the rooster. I came prepared, so if you relish your sleep, maybe invest in one of these sound machines [ they have sounds of waves crashing on the beach/ rainfall / waterfalls etc ] - it took me a few nights to get used to the sound machine, but now I always take it with me when going away on holidays.

So... I give this hotel the BIG THUMBS UP. I had so many reservations about staying here, after reading so many bad TRIP ADVISOR reviews, but I really loved being here, and I would DEFINITELY stay here again.

Room Tip: leep-wise - there was a rooster that began crowing every morning at 5 a.m. so if you don't want...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank pixie9876
Inveraray, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights in my first visit to Bali.

I found staff were friendly enough, cleaners always said hello when you were near them which was nice. Aside from this...

When we arrived we were given a room with 2 single beds, we are a couple so had to ask them to change to a double bed room. The room smelt like people had been smoking in it. It also had an adjoining door to the room next door, which the guests woke us up really late at night trying to open it! Noise control not v. Good either, as you could hear everything that happened down the hallway. We also had to ask for towels. When we got them they smelt funny and were really old.
The airconditioner was very good though.

Breakfast was by far the worst. There were days I didn't eat because the eggs were so greasy and undercooked, even though we'd ask for hard poached...three times.

I know we didn't pay much to stay here, but I think a lot of the problems I had with the place were things that could have been easily and quite cheaply fixed.

Room Tip: For one or two nights this would be ok. Any longer, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Kuta hotels

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have stayed at Bakungsari Hotel more than 3 times and each has been a wonderful experience.
My father has traveled around Indonesia for over 10 years and has watched the hotel grow. Although the hotel is not a high star rating, the service and location is perfect. The breakfast menu is set but tasty out of a choice of pancakes or eggs, toast, coffee, juice ect.. The hotel has a lovely pool that I have never found dirty. I will return to this hotel in the future and recommend to other friends, family's, couples and solo travelers to enjoy a chilled out environment close to the heart of Kuta.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family