“Bakung Sari - Good Budget Option”

Bakung Sari Resort and Spa
Ranked #222 of 340 Hotels in Kuta
Sydney, Australia
“Bakung Sari - Good Budget Option”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I'd read a few reviews before booking the Bakung Sari, and I'm not really surprised by some other opinions but it didn't affect my stay, we didn't have anything to go wrong.
We'd been travelling around Europe in a small camper for 6 months staying at crowded campsites with shared, mostly dirty/sandy facilities, which was fun for us, so anything with our own bathroom and more than a metre of space around the bed is luxury to us. The Bakung Sari were able to happily check us in at 1am when we arrived, gave us a refreshing glass of juice, and helped us get our heavy bags up to our standard room (which was larger than I thought it would be) overlooking the pool. It was one of the older rooms so there were definitely things that could be fixed (the flush on the toilet, maybe another wall in the bathroom so everything doesn't get wet after a shower, updated furniture etc )but our room was clean and had a great view over the pool and garden (which are very well maintained). I was surprised that breakfast was included (I wasn't aware of this when I booked) and it's basic but filled us up enough to start each day. We used the wifi and the reception in our room was fine. We were close enough to warungs, convenience shops, other shops, spas etc to have things to do if we didn't feel like walking the 10min into Kuta, but far enough away that I found it to be quiet compared to some other places closer to the centre of the action.
We'd originally booked for 2 nights and ended up needing to extend whilst we found somewhere long term down near Uluwatu and purchased all our surf gear, and the hotel were more than happy to honour the same rate we'd paid on Asia Rooms for an additional night and we didn't need to change rooms.
All in all it's great if you just want something basic and cheap - go elsewhere and pay more if you want luxury.

Room Tip: I thought the standard un-renovated rooms were fine, but pay the little bit extra for the newer room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kate B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
SOUTH KOREA
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This Hotel was a bit outdated and Not clean. I didn't wanna sleep on the blanket or a pillow. Room was stuffy and Breakfast was Not fresh..However, quite good location, nice swimming pool. And If U wanna rent a bike or call for local Taxi, U just simply need to talk to front desk. This was very convenient.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HYUN C
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We were not expecting much because it was cheap but it was worse that we expected. We had to ask for towels. The shower water was luke warm and sprayed all over the bathroom wetting everthing. The bathroom door was rotted and swollen and wouldn't close. The pillows were so flat and hard I had to roll up the bedspread and cover it with a sarong to use as a pillow. We were on the third floor with narrow steep steps which wore you out. The breakfast was just edible. We would never stay there again.

Room Tip: They do have some refurbished rooms but they were empty. If you ask for one of them it might be bett...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 61dorisj

Travelers are raving about these Kuta hotels

Eersel, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 8, 2012

First time I got a room with 2 single beds, I complaints because I booked for 1 double bed room. Receptionist asked to wait a day, because someone will check out on next day.
Next day, we got double bed room, I checked as soon as possible, good thing, we got bath tub, bad thing, toilet seat not flush very good, water not refill fast, I always used shower (hot and cold water) to refill toilet water if wanna do my natural call in bathroom :D 2 mechanics tried to repair toilet,but failed :)
About bedroom, enough big, big window (I got views roofs of houses not to swimmpool), flat screen television, an ashtray, 2 chairs, a table, a table+mirror (for woman to make up :p) and a small refrigerator. Little bit dusty but I can accept that :) I got clean towels everyday.
Breakfast menu: choose fried noodle/omelet + tea/coffee + orange juice, foods and drinks taste for me "ok". Bakungsari have 2 gates, front gate will bring you to Raya Kuta street, and back gate will bring you to Kuta Square (10 min walk),Discovery Mall,Matahari,etc. I stayed 4 days.

*Call receptionist if you need something for you're room or maybe get trouble with toilet.
*Bakungsari have a spa,can order to room (receptionist gave to me spa brochure but I'm not try it)
Happy Holiday!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nggi
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed in the new rooms, they do not overlook the pool but they are really big, have a TV, new fridge and good clean bathrooms. Rooms are cleaned with fresh towels every day. Reasonably priced and breakfast is big and really good.

The grounds are very pretty and the pool is great. They could do with a few more sunbeds though as there is no where near enough for the number of rooms in the hotel.

The Indonesian food in the restaurant was great.

We did ask for a 'free transfer' from the airport, which they advertised on their booking site. But they did not respond.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rebecca a
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

After travelling for 4 weeks this hotel was perfect for us! I am really shocked at the other reviews for this hotel. The room was really nice by travellers standards, especially had a TV and comfy beds but most importantly it had a hot shower!! The pool was really nice and we had a nice included breakfast, other than that we didnt spend much time actually in the hotel. However for the price, we think it exceeds value especially as we stayed at similar places for the same money which were horrendous...at least this place had aircon! I would definately advise to go here if you are travelling bali and staying in the Kuta area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank MC12491
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The scene: Two nights booked at what appeared to be a beautiful building and surrounds at a too-good-to-be-true price.

The twist: Just like a movie set, all the effort and money are put into the exteriors.

My partner and I turned up to Bakungsari at about midnight and were greeted in a somewhat 'efficient' manner by the staff at the front desk before being taken to our room. We did what everyone else did - marveled at the architecture and stunning tropical garden (even at night it was extraordinary). Oh, how we were fooled.

Our room (touted as a three bedroom affair) was actually just big enough for two beds, and a foam mattress on the floor was artfully wedged in between. Luckily, we're only two people, so we simply moved it out of the way, but for those of you traveling in threes, you have been warned.

Sheets on the bed were pretty dingy, but I received a very warm welcome from a cockroach, who had obviously found a comfortable spot lying on the pillow. It was a bit shy, though, and scuttled off before I could introduce it to the bottom of my shoe.

The utilitarian bathroom reminds me of one you'd expect to see in a hospital or a prison, except rustier. No shower partition meant that if you want to take a shower, the whole bathroom floor got nicely watered so that all the mould could grow up big and strong. On the plus side, there was a small brown vanity, though, with two pieces of soap in it. And there was toilet paper as a bonus.

There were two power points in the room, one of which was hanging out of the wall by a couple of wires. I wasn't sure if our travel insurance covered electric shock, so I avoided that one and hoped the building wouldn't burn down in our sleep from shoddy electrical upkeep.

On the plus side, we had a nice balcony (which looked out on the pleasant garden and pool) and the air conditioner worked.

Front desk staff and restaurant staff are about as friendly as a jab in the pants with a cattle-prodder, but I should mention there was a cleaner who was really lovely and smiled from ear to ear whilst asking questions about what we thought of Bali and such. What a nice lady she was. No sarcasm here, she was actually great.

Don't expect an exotic journey of flavours at breakfast - you get what you pay for here. And you're not paying for smiles. Or coffee that's filtered. Apparently you do pay for extra sugar in the orange juice, though, as it was sickly sweet. Even though breakfast was included in the fee, I strongly considered getting up and going somewhere else. Like Flapjacks, which sounded to me to be a wholesome, authentic Balinese culinary experience.

Okay, I wasn't expecting a five-star environment, but I still believe that even though I didn't pay much, I got even less than what I paid for. It looks like most of the money is going straight into the garden and the pool. Do yourself a favour, and look elsewhere - apparently you can get much more for the same price. I give it two stars for the garden and pool, and the really nice cleaning lady.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family