All reviewslegian streetdeluxe roomfirst floorconvenience storebusy streetrooms are nicestayed for nightsnice stayenjoyed my stayhot waterbnbwifibaliclubsreceptionistcleanlinessnightlife
Reviewed January 28, 2010

I generally travel solo and tend to look for hotels in around the $40 - $50 price range while in SE Asia. For that price, I know that I won't get 5-star facilities, but I know it's a reasonable amount to spend on a place here. At the very least, I expect a CLEAN, NO-FRILLS kind of place...if I get extras, then that's just a great bonus.

With that in mind, I booked Tanaya based on the rave reviews I read on Trip Advisor. While the hotel certainly has its advantages, it also has some other important drawbacks, and my experience was not exactly what I had hoped for.

GOOD THINGS?

The location is good, if you like staying in the Kuta/Legian area and you don't hear the noise from the street once in the room.
The front office staff and especially the breakfast staff are quite friendly and sweet.
The hotel is relatively new - there are not many to match it in its price range.
The breakfasts are continental, which I enjoyed, and I liked the way that they changed it up a little every day, to keep it interesting. The fresh fruit and pastries are nice, and try the guava juice, as it's really nice.
Internet is free (computer works most of the time).
Excellent selection of channels if you want to watch television while in the room - best I have seen yet.

NOT-SO-GOOD THINGS

I made my reservation online and I arrived in Bali from Bangkok. When I got to the hotel, they didn't have my booking and said they had no rooms left, regardless of the fact that I had a computer printout with the details and that I had paid a deposit. They wanted to move me to another hotel. It took two hours, some determination, and having to talk with the manager, but finally, they 'found' me a room.

The price of the room: I felt very ripped off by them in relation to the cost. On the internet, the rate was advertised as 42 USD per night, rather than in the local Rupiah currency. However, when they bill you, they charge you in Rupiah at their own hotel rate, which worked out to be about $46 USD a night. I found this to be really deceitful. If you decide to stay there, get the price in Rupiahs right from the start, so you know what you are really paying.

The CLEANLINESS. At first glance, when you walk into the lobby and into the rooms, they look really nice. However, if cleanliness is important to you and you are observant, you will see that the cleaning that they do is 'surface cleaning'. Plus, I speak this with some experience, because due to the whole room mix-up, they asked me to change my room 3 times during a 5-night stay, and I noticed the lack of proper cleanliness throughout all three rooms I stayed in.
Examples?? Peanuts and potato chip crumbles on the floor, toilets not properly cleaned (the underside of the bowl and the back of the base of the toilet, when you lower the lid, plus, behind the toilets). Bright red blood stains on one of the immaculately pressed white bed sheets. Remnants of a cockroach in the shower (they have a sort of window base at the top, that is obviously never cleaned). An army of ants in one of the rooms. Faucets in sink and shower with watermarks in each room (clearly never wiped down).

For the semi-effort at cleaning and the price gouging alone, I will not stay at this hotel again. Which is a shame, because it is a lovely place with a lot of potential, and with some extra care and attention, could be really great.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank TanyaM212
Reviewed January 27, 2010

This hotel looks good and is very comfortable. It's also very well located. We loved it! The staff are really nice and helpful. There is free WiFi but too bad it's not accessible in the rooms (you have to go to the sun deck for it)

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We had a great time in this B&B !

Tanaya B&B is very clean & well maintained. We feel very comfortable which exceeded all our expectations!

This isn't a luxury hotel but it gives you personal touch (in terms of services) in accomodating your needs. Recommended !

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2010

The hotel location is at the heart of Legian road with many attractive shops i.e.: Massage parlour, souvenir etc nearby. Walking distance to "Australian Village" and Kuta beach. This hotel has done its renovation and very clean and modern. The reception area is consider big with sofa and computer for free surfing. The lobby and cafe area provided with free wifi. The cafe area is located at 2nd floor.

The room is very modern with super king size bed with LCD tv. The room is quite spacious and the toilet is super clean. The detail of the room of balinese style shown with its wood table lamp. The aircond in each room can be on 24-7 as each room is using key instead of card, hence it is very comfortable after a long day outside to reach room with cool area. One thing bad about the room is it's too bright which the "blind" used to cover the window is insufficient to darken the room.

Staff are very friendly. Breakfast provided for this hotel of which inclusive of:
1. choices coffee/ tea;
2. choices apple juice/ mango juice/ orange juice; and
3. 3 types of bread i.e.: croissant/ danish etc.

Taxi and motor for rent is available in front of the hotel. This hotel is super highly recommended for you to stay!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I was kinda worried when I first saw about the comments from other people. However, I have experienced it myself and find that it is superb! Upon arrival, we checked in at Villa Daun (only a few shops away from Bamboo B&B). The person helped us to carry our luggage back to Bamboo. And we never realised that we have actaully forgotten to get back our passport upon registering for rooms! He was kind enough to pass us back the passports and we were so thankful! Room is really new. We had 3 people staying in the room and we were given a single & double bed. The renovations did not bother us at all as we woke up early. Breakfast was sent to our room everyday. We staye for 3 nights. Staffs were friendly too!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends