All reviewsbedroom villavilla bbqprivate poolvalley viewthree bedroomsister resortseafoodmain bedroombeach clubcooking classkids clubfamily holidayshort walk to the beachgreat holidayoutdoor showergreat villabeautiful resort
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is not a 5 star luxury resort. This is 3-4 Star Accomodation.My husband and I have just returned from Bali last Saturday. We stayed at the Karma Jimbaran resort in a 3 bedroom villa. We stayed 5 nights. I agree with Elsa, the villa with a private pool looks stunning in the photos on the website, but not at all when you get there! The villa was old, desperately needed refurbishing. The rooms all had an odour, a smell like this villa has not been lived in for a long time, that made me sick, I had to buy insense sticks and burn oil to give a nice smell to the villa daily. The linen on the first night smelt like it had been on the bed for a long time too. I used my own pillow. My husband also told me of this too, to my surprise.
We expected more...disappointed to see that what was in the photos on the website was taken when the Villa was brand new, it looks now to be at least 25 years old or more.
The meals at the resturant and spa, massage were expensive. There are cheaper prices for meals and massages on the beach less than half the price of what was charged at the Resort.
The service was great, and we will return to Bali but will stay elsewhere for the money we paid.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear dsaunders22,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your stay at Karma Jimbaran and your comments about the stunning images on our website.
All of our villas undergo extensive maintenance throughout the year to keep them at a luxury level. Sometimes in the rainy season (you had stayed at the end of a very active rainy season) our villa maintenance may get pushed back for a few days during a deluge. Our villas have all been through a detailed preventative maintenance program and are on a rotational basis. I’m not sure of the villa you stayed in (V17?), but I can happily shoot images of the current state of the villa for you to compare to those on our website.
Additionally, as we have built our resort using as much natural product as possible, our alang alang thatched roofs can become saturated if there are persistent rains, which in turn produce a mild odor of damp grass. We apologize that this was the case while you visited. It is extremely rare, and only under the most torrential of rains do the roofs become soaked.
In regards to our pricing on F&B and Spa, there are indeed less expensive options available outside the resort. The massage therapists outside the resort, and on the beach, as you’ve mentioned do not have the extensive training of our Karma Spa bodyworkers . I have received countless comments from guests that state that their massage at our Karma Spa was “the best they ever had!” In terms of restaurants, yes, there are cheaper options, but the hygiene and food handling practices in these establishments leave much to be desired. Many guests do try these options only to later have their holiday ruined by a bout of severe gastro.
Once again, we are very thankful for your comments and suggestion and we look forward to the opportunity to host you once again at Karma Jimbaran.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

The villas are really nice and clean: pool, several bedrooms, living room, kitchen, etc. The food in the restaurant is good, liked their breakfast. The SPA is nice too.

That said: we won't be coming back. Why? The staff lacks training, mostly english and service was an issue. I am not talking about a cleaner or somebody working the yards, no, the front desk doesn't speak good english to the point that it is very hard to communicate. Which makes service hard. Check-in took forever because of these issues and doing paperwork. That repeated throughout our stay several times.

The hotel is not at the beach, you have to leave the resort, cross the street and above rocks and construction material... It's at the end of Jimbaran, but you can have a nice stroll along the beach e.g. for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Markus F,
Thank you very much for taking time to write your experience with Karma Jimbaran from eight months ago.
We value our guests feedback and are very pleased to learn that you were very pleased with our product and services.
We acknowledge that your communication with the local staff may have been an issue. All of our staff are learning English as either a 2nd or 3rd language and can sometimes be thrown off by the slightest accents. In the six months that I have been with the resort, we have conducted extensive English training seminars that have continued on a rotational basis.
In addition, we now also have staff that are fluent in Russian, Japanese, and Korean to assist with our varied markets.
Again, I appreciated very much of your comment regarding our resort and this is a very good lesson for us to improve our service and standard for our next guest. I hope that you will not be discouraged by your first experience and will still consider Karma Jimbaran as your perfect holiday for your next visit to Bali.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at Karma Jimbaran for 3 nights with my family (total 8 people + 2 kids) two weeks ago. We booked a four bedroom villa with a private pool, which looks terrific looking at the photos from the website. However, it was a big disappointment after we get there. The enviroment is nice, but the villa is old and not clean. Bed sheets and towels are not clean, sofa has stains on it, and the pool is not clean. The greatest disappointment is this: we picked Bali as our vacation destination hoping to enjoy nice beaches. However, the whole part of the Jimbaran beach next to Karma Hotel is all flood with tide rise until 3:30pm earliest. It require us to take a 15 mins walk on the street to the other side of the Jambaran beach, which was very inconvenient and disappointing. Both the in-villa pool and public pool inside the hotel is rather small, so we end up didn't swim much until we book a cruise before the day we leave from Conrad Nua Dua. If you are willing to pay a little bit more, please choose a hotel which has private beach.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Elsa C

Dear Elsa C
Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your stay at Karma Jimbaran.
We appreciate your comments very much and we are taking it very seriously and are now working very hard to follow up all of your points regarding the villa physical condition as well as the cleanliness issue during your stay.
As I went through with guest history log book that we use to record our guest complaint and concern during their stay, we did not find any record of report from your villa which addressed the cleanliness concern during your stay. However, you have raised a very valuable comment as a lesson for us to improve our performance standard to the next level of service of our resort.
During the period of your stay the island was still in rainy season until the middle of April. As a result, sometimes king tides come in and make the beach slightly narrower and more difficult for swimming. This is a very rare occurrence, but does happen for a few days about twice a year.
All of our villas are complete with their own swimming pool and we also have the main swimming pool that is 25 X 5 meters in size. This has proven to be more than adequate with the resort at full occupancy, however, I apologize if you did not feel it was suitable for your needs.
Once again, we truly appreciate your comments and we will continue to improve our service and performance. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again at Karma Jimbaran and ensure you the true Karma experience. By the way, Karma Kandara’s beach is about as private and as beautiful a beach as you will find in Bali. If you wish to book your next Bali holiday there, or in Jimbaran, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

It was a nightmare for all of us. Went out near by the villas for Lunch and came back our villas Notice that our Mac-pro , 2 IPod and 2 IPad had swings and flew out of our villas.
We called and talked to the front desk to reported the stolen case. We were waiting and waiting and waiting for the manager to call us back but we never hear from him. Until we went straight to them, find out what's going on then the Manager ( LUKE HARLEY) was having dinner with the client and can't get back to us until the next day... Can't do anything else, just wait for the investigate. Our vacation stay at their villas 7 days, but very Sadly never hear from him at all, until we left the villas

Room Tip: During our stay and get to know the surrounding. Jakarta , potatoes head area is best to shop and closer all the activities at days and nights. Room with Beach and garden are best. Privacy and good view. You want to spend your vacation with memorable.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy N
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Amy N,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your stay at Karma Jimbaran five months ago.
Please be advised, that the General Manager you’ve mentioned is no longer with Karma Resorts, and it should be noted that they have left on their own accord on amicable terms. I’ve joined the property in November, 2012, just after your visit and have reviewed the files regarding your incident after reading your post.

In reviewing the records on file regarding your incident, it is noted that you had refused the assistance of the police whom arrived within one hour of your claim, as your children were asleep and you did not wish to disturb them. The following day you and your party went out for a day tour and had declined to have an investigation. The following day, 2 days after the incident, you wished to have the police investigate, so the head of the Police and three staff members, including the General Manager went to your villa the to discuss the claim. According to the police investigation, there were multiple inconsistencies in the story provided by the claimants. It is noted lastly noted that you declined to go to the police office to file a police report, which is essential for an insurance claim.

If you experienced something different from the above, please let me know and I will see what I am able to do for you at this point. More than likely there won’t be much more I can do, as this was an incident that happened five months ago, but I am happy to try to help with what I have on file and the staff members here.

We hope your view of Karma Jimbaran has not been completely tarnished, as the endearing Jimbaran staff and I, would love the opportunity to welcome you back to our serene property.

Please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything I can assist with.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed at Karma Jimbaran for 2 nights with my family 2 days ago. I would say it is really not worth to spend money here. The resort's environment is very good and beautiful. Living & dining area are large and bedroom are spacious which I give it the thumbs up. But when there is a heavy rain, I noticed 2 out of the 3 bedrooms were water leaking. The cleanliness of the pool is also very disappointing. There is only one hairdryer in the master bedroom, the other 2 bedrooms have nothing. Also, there is no ironing equipment in the villa.

We ordered in villa BBQ and the food taste was just average. I suggest the chef maybe can add a few popular local foods like satay in to the menu list.

At the time we checkout at the reception, there is only one female receptionist. She was talking on the phone with somebody without process our checkout first. This made me even disappointed because I end up sitting in front of her and waited 5 minutes before she end the tele-conversation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank ryu777
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear ryu777,

Thank you for your positive comments in regards to the stunning grounds and beautiful spacious villas, as well as for taking the time to provide your honest feedback with your most recent experience at Karma Jimbaran.

We always strive to provide our guests with an extraordinary experience, and recognize that there are situations often times beyond our control, as well as areas that we recognize may need to improve.

In keeping with our sustainable initiatives, our villas have been constructed with alang alang roofs which are indigenous to Bali. Made from all natural materials essentially consisting of many layers of dried grass stacked on top of one another, often times a leak cannot be detected until a very strong rain storm occurs. Unfortunately, this is what happened during your stay, and we apologize sincerely for the inconvenience. In the last week we have added new alang alang to the roof to prevent further leaking.

We have just updated our in-room compendium which will outline that additional hairdryers, irons, and ironing boards, and other services are available on request. Additionally, the compendium will also include a list of “Rainy Day Activities,” as we realize that the mood of a vacation can quickly change if the weather is not cooperating.

Our in-villa BBQ’s consistently receive rave reviews, so I apologize on behalf of the team if we didn’t meet your expectations. We have both Asian and Western items that can be chosen or combined as desired and have the resources of the finest Indonesian kitchen team that work in conjunction with an established New York City chef on the menu offer.

We believe our guest check-out process should be seamless and efficient. We apologize that you were required to wait 5 minutes for our receptionist to address your needs.

Once again, thank you for providing your honest feedback. We value it immensely as it helps us on our ultimate quest of achieving maximum guest satisfaction.

Please contact me directly for your future bookings. I look forward to welcoming you back to Karma Jimbaran.