“Boutique expérience in Jimbaran”
Review of Karma Jimbaran

Karma Jimbaran
Ranked #8 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Just finishing our stay in Karma Jimbaran. We chose Jimbaran because we wanted to stay outside of the hustle of Kuta and Jimbaran seemed like the perfect place. Jimbaran offers great restaurants, beaches and yet you are still able to commute across Bali from here if you like.

If you don't like huge hotels and won't to just relax in your own private villa then Karma Jimbaran is the prefect choice.

The hotel is situated across the road from the beach and the seafood grills that Jimbaran is famous for. You can also walk to other hotels if you would like to try something different.

We had a 3 bedroom villa complex with our own private plunge pool. I say a complex because it had its own separate quarters for eating, relaxing and sleeping. When we walked into the villa we actually thought we were sharing with other people, but this wasn't the case it was all ours for 7 nights.

I have to mention that the gardens at Karma Jimbaran are incredible and it is a credit to the staff who manage this. I don't believe I have ever noticed this before in a hotel.

The Karma spa is a great offering and we found the treatments to be perfect and not that expensive.

We ate a lot at the Karma Lounge which is the restaurant, the food was of really good quality and well presented, I found the pricing pretty reasonable considering the quality of this resort. The wine in Bali is really expensive compared to what we pay in Australia but this has nothing to do with the Karma Jimbaran.

If you are after just relaxing and not wanting to share a resort with heaps of people in Bali then the Karma Jimbaran is the perfect place. We work pretty hard at home and just wanted to chill out at our own private plunge pool and not have to worry about what was happening outside.

The management team lead by the General Manager Luke Harley makes a huge different and he made us feel at home from our initial contact, nothing was a problem.

Worth also mentioning that Karma own another resort called Karma Kandara which they have a free shuttle between resorts. Karma Kandara is beautiful but a lot busier, we really enjoyed the day there but were happy when we returned home to Karma Jimbaran.

Room Tip: Pretty quiet place all over resort.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Karma_Kandara, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Craig071, thank you for your positive posting about something we enjoy doing. The seafood grills are an outstanding experience so I am glad you enjoyed them with a great sunset, as is Karma Kandara which we are also proud of. The team across all areas are very proud and genuine, but I am glad you have identified the landscaping team as our grounds are very well maintained with a lot of pride and effort. They do not get recognised much from external guests and they do deserve to be, so I am very happy you pointed this out. Internally with 7 months now passed, 2 of our employees of the month have been from the landscaping team so assure you they are recognised by our hotel team. It is good looking after good people, so I certainly hope we have the chance of welcoming you back again for another great boutique experience in Jimbaran at Karma. Kind regards - Luke Harley

There are newer reviews for Karma Jimbaran

Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was my second family holiday with 2 kids - 1 and 4 years. Last year, I went to Banyan Tree Phuket and stayed in a villa. Wanted a similar experience in Bali, so I decided to try Karma Jimbaran. Every unit here is a villa with its own private pool. I booked a single room villa but was upgraded to a 3-room villa. The villa was lovely - had a nice, big kitchen and a decent sized pool. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the master bedroom was upstairs. Too troublesome to climb up and down with kids, so we bunked in one of the guest room downstairs instead, and used upstairs for bath times as they had a big bath tub in the master bedroom. I later realised that all units had the master bedroom upstairs, so it wouldn't have made a difference even if I had gotten the one bedroom unit. The plus is I could bring my younger one to the spare room just across when she got up early in the morning :)

The food at the hotel was good. We had our breakfast there everyday and even though it wasn't a buffet, the food was healthy and appetising and portions were decent. They gave us complimentary breakfasts for my 2 kids, so we ordered more than enough for everyone to share. We had most of our dinners there as well, as we didn't want to travel at night with 2 kids in tow. The food was really good and decently priced.

We also visited the sister resort at Karma Kandara to enjoy the stunning view of the beach and have our lunch there.

Overall a wonderful stay with the kids. It's the kind of holiday you just want to R&R and take things easy!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear KarenC, thank you for your review and thank you for bringing the family to us. We are a great family location especially with the included kids club, large private villas with plunge pool. I certainly note your comments about the master bedroom upstairs and hope this did not impede too much on your experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed our Karma Lounge for breakfast and most dinners. It is a very good mixed offering, the team are wonderful and the price is absolutely right. We also now have entertainment 5 nights per week too, which we did not have in May. How stunning is Karma Kandara? a real gem and I am glad you visited this like any of our guests can. A beautiful product with Nammos private beach club named in the top 40 beach clubs in the world so why not use it, a guest of Karma Jimbaran is a guest of Karma Kandara!! I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you all back again and if I can assist in making this happen, feel free to liaise with me directly. Thank you for your business and I am glad we could provide a positive Karma experience. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed August 14, 2012

This place is the perfect relaxation destination. With massive, well-appointed villas, lush private gardens and pools, you can't beat this place. We recently had our second stay here in as many years and weren't disappointed. A great affordable luxury holiday for Aussies. Both times we’ve stayed here, we booked and paid for a 1 bedroom villa and ended up getting 3 bedroom villa’s all to ourselves! The hotel restaurant is great too as is the in villa BBQ service and the day spa. We’ve stayed at several places across Bali and highly recommend Karma Jimbaran and Karma Kandara.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Karma_Kandara, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Rob-McMelb, thank you very much for your belated review and making the effort. It is wonderful that you like so many others enjoyed not just our wonderful villas, but also the additional services that maximise the guest experience like the In Villa BBQ, our day spa and included transfers to our sister property Karma Kandara. Our team enjoy what we do which I believe shows and now you can also add live music 5 nights per week as well to ensure there is atmosphere in our restaurant. I do hope I and the team here have the chance to personally welcome you back over and over. If I can assist personally please feel free to liaise with me directly on gm@karmajimbaran.com Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed at Karma Jimbaran for our honeymoon in July. We arrived late in the evening, but were greeted by friendly staff and a nice welcome drink. The check-in process was smooth and quick and we were brought from reception to our very nice 3 bedroom villa by car. We were shown around the villa and they made sure we were happy with everything before they left us to it.

The breakfast was delicious, with a good choice of menu. The resort was fairly quiet and peaceful, which suited us fine. We treated ourselves to a spa treatment, which we fully recommend. There are various offers, e.g. buy one get one free. We also had access to a computer and printer in their library, which came in handy.

If you don't like bugs and insects, Karma Jimbaran is the place for you. We were provided with bug spray and mosquito coils, but they weren't really needed. The resort is clean and well tended too.

The resort is not directly on the beach, but it's just across the road. There are also a couple of good restaurants nearby and within walking distance (on the beach). We preferred to use the pool in our villa so not being right next to the beach wasn't a problem. We also recommend visiting the sister resort, Karma Kandara, a lovely location perfect for a romantic meal, with the added bonus of free transport provided.

Luke, the manager, is a credit. I'm sure he reads these reviews, and the personal touch is much appreciated, from introducing himself to providing us with a welcome bottle of bubbly. He also produced a couple of surprises during our in-villa bbq, which we highly recommend (we won't spoil the surprise for those of you thinking of doing the same!)

As a separate note/tip - don't be ripped off by taxi drivers when you arrive at the airport if you are seeking transport. Either arrange transport through Karma Jimbaran, or if you take a taxi don't pay more than $10(usd).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheHosk
Karma_Kandara, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear TheHosk, thank you for celebrating your honeymoon with us and I am glad we exceeded all your expectations as a team. Our villas are beautiful and spacious, a perfect location to celebrate a honeymoon or also versatile enough for couples or families travelling together due to their size and privacy. I am very happy you experienced everything on offer from our own services here, the local beach across the road and the private beach club Nammos at our sister property with transfers provided as a guest of Karma Jimbaran is a guest of Karma Kandara. The team here do it because we enjoy it and that reflects across the board in all areas, not one person or department in particular. Desire and intent goes along way and the team here demonstrate that in spades, far from perfect but the belief is wonderful to see. I am glad the mozzies and other bugs also left you alone as they do exist given the climate and environment of Bali, it would be remiss of may to say they don't but we do all we can to minimise their existence. I look forward to welcoming you both back one day and providing you a few more special treats for an anniversary. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We have just enjoyed the most magical two weeks in Villa 17 (3 bed). From the moment we arrived our 21 hour journey from the UK was a distant memory as we were shown around our villa. The accommodation is top quality with all the amenities you could ask for in a luxury villa. The privacy, peace and quiet we're exactly what we were looking for. The huge bath and outdoor shower were great touches! The landscaped gardens and sunshine waking us up on the veranda every morning was just beautiful.
We got married at the Jimbaran Beach Club and everything was handled by Budi the sales manager at Karma. Organising everything from the UK was a worry at first being so far away, but we have to say Budi and his team - wedding planner, make up/hair, photograher and beach club staff ensured the wedding was a truly magical and amazing experience from start to finish - we really were treated like Royalty and the day was just a dream come true.
All the staff couldn't do enough for us with Charles and Luke offering helpful tips and ideas over breakfast and the whole team were first class, giving us lifts to the sister resort at Karma Kandara to enjoy Nammos Beach club. The staff were engaging and interested in making the whole experience as enjoyable as possible.
We can't thank the team enough for all the great memories we will taking away from our wedding and honeymoon at Karma Jimbaran - this really has to be the best address in Bali, FANTASTIC!!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear GenTojo thank you for your review, congratulations on your wedding and celebrating this here with us all the way from the UK. What a beautiful location to tie the knot... Jimbaran, Bali and I am so glad the team here and our product made this a lifelong memory for you both. Budi is a fantastic team member with a lot of pride in his work, appearance and results. He does a wonderful job ensuring these special days run smoothly and are memorable for our guests. He is also supported by wonderful team here who get a real buzz out of creating special memories and I am glad this has occured again. We are all very happy you have had a safe return home with wonderful memories, as the team here will always ensure that it is good looking after good people. We certainly hope we can welcome you back soon to celebrate an anniversary or 2.
Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed in Jimbaran for 5 nights at the beginning of their high season with a total of 6 people. We stayed in a beautiful 3 bedroom villa -villa 8 and the transfer pick up from the airport to the hotel was comfortable and swift.

The check in process was smooth and we were "buggy-ed" up to our villa. Luke-the GM came by shortly after to give us a personal welcome which was a very pleasant surprise and a really nice hospitable touch. It's rare to have a GM of a hotel personally welcome you to the hotel and remember you throughout your stay. There's also a security personnel sitting at the foot of the driveway leading up to the villas.

We have no complains about the villa we were in. The in villa pool was refreshing and the heavenly scented plumeria trees remind you that you are in paradise every morning when we sat on the the sun beds taking in the chorus of the morning birds while having coffee. Each room had their own bathrooms and one of the rooms had an outdoor shower.

Since we were celebrating our 20th anniversary, we were greeted with swans cleverly crafted out of towels resting on a bed of rose petals on our bed along with a chilled bottle of champagne. The staff are wonderful and obliging and do go out of their way to meet your request.

Breakfast was yummy and a nice added value to the room rate. The restaurant itself is a little pricey for dinner but there are other dining options outside of the hotel.

Now for the very minor issues which ended up being a slight inconvenience. We had problems with the water heater in one of the rooms as well as a clogged drain in the master bed room shower. The faulty water heater was tripping the fuse box constantly in one of the rooms, so the lights would go out while we were in the middle of a shower. Our complains were met with very apologetic staff who tried to rectify the problem even though it was late at night. We were truly impressed with how quickly they came after we called. However, the problem continued for a couple of days before they finally found the root of the electrical problem and spent a couple of hours fixing what turned out to be faulty wiring. The staff did try to fix the clogged drains a few times over the course of 4 days but I don't think we were explaining ourselves well enough. So, the problem didn't get rectified until the day before we were leaving and that was after we had a word with Luke to explain that all it needed was a good plunging and a little bit of Drano. We were getting a little tired of having a mini pool in our bathroom after each shower. Luke took care of the problem promptly and all was well. It was just an inconvenience to have to keep calling the front desk to get the same problem fixed. Kudos to the staff though, they greeted us with a smile each time and never made us feel like we were bothering them one bit. Luke made up for it by sending us an amazing (and I mean AMAZING) plate of warm brownies and a bottle of wine.

We did get struck by a bit of a stomach bug and so did some of our villa neighbors but I think it's just the change in the diet and water. This did not hamper our wonderful experience at this property. The complimentary shuttle to the sister property-Kendara is a must visit. Upon entering the resort, you feel like you were just whisked away to a Greek island and you have to take a furnicular to get to the gorgeous beach with amazing snorkeling.

Karma is within a short 3 minute walking distance from the beachfront seafood restaurants. Also a must do. Although this resort is not beach front, the beach is literally across the street. It's a nice beach but there are some that are nicer and cleaner. It will do if you're looking for a place to soak up the sun. Ulu Watu isn't too far away from the villa as well and worth the visit to see the temple and cheeky flip flop stealing monkeys. This property is a little further away from Kuta and Seminyak but the Blue Bird taxis will take you there and back easily. Just be sure to take the Blue Bird taxis and none other as they are metered taxis unlike the others.

A quick tip. If you are looking for a tucked away surfer beach, I'd recommend Padang Padang. It's not easy to get to (25 mins from the hotel) and it's small but you can spend the day watching the surfers catch the waves, eat at the small eateries (warungs) there and even do a little sarong shopping there.

Overall, this is a wonderful resort and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet stay in paradise. You will be pleased.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is away from the road in the back of the hotel. Otherwise you will hear the early...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Karma_Kandara, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Dear Burrflies8, thank you very much for your thorough and detailed review and thank you for spending your anniversary with us. It is a team effort, no one person stands out and we are successful because our teams behind the scenes are just as important and valuable to us and our guests, as our front of house teams. It is great to hear feedback on how responsive and quick to action our teams like Engineering, landscaping, housekeeping, stewarding are. We are not a perfect hotel and I do apologise the unforeseen circumstance of the electrical shortage which caused the hot water issues, took more than once to remedy. I do appreciate your comment on how our team reacted to this which is very comforting as there is a lot of pride and belief in the team here across all levels. I certainly hope we can welcome you back one day from the U.S of A to again enjoy your Karma experience and relish the brownies which as you have noted are outstanding, best ever. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We arrived late in the evening at approx 11.45pm and were picked up at the airport with a happy cheerful driver provided by the Resort which was wonderful - simply a no brainer straight to the luxury of this wonderful Karma Jimbaran Resort.
Much to our surprise we where given a huge upgrade to a 4 bedroom apartment which was heavenly with its beautiful maintained pool, the gardens were serene and the layout was just perfect. It was so spacious, extremely clean and beautifully maintained throughout.
The restaurant for breakfast with delicious and well presented food was wonderful and the evening Dinnner with entertainment was excellent value especially being onsite and not having to worry about traffic and noise off site. It was such a treat and so relaxing on the deck beside the pool with many other happy guests.
The massage and therapy centre was heavenly with well trained staff and was so professional that we did not want to leave after our 1 hour treatment which was truly devine and a perfectly relaxing massage. The best we have had for a long period. The location was excellent as it was only a short stroll being almost opposite our apartment.
All of the staff including the GM Luke were all extremely welcoming and inviting with a cheerful greetings making it the Best Three Days; so memorable and there is absolutely every reason to return soon to this relaxing and most welcoming resort with the most attentive staff.
Finally I would like to thank the staff and GM Luke Harley for seeking out the DVD "Ring of Fire" by Brothers Lorne and Lawrence Blair authors of the Book by the same name and sending it to me in Perth, Australia. This is a classic example of how they go that extra step to be a excellent service which is most greatfully appreciated and the reason we would return with out a second thought.
Thanks to all the team for making a stay so pleasant and memorable it was highly appreciated.

Room Tip: Rooms higher on the hillside are quieter, have good views from the upper floor balcony which was app...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Karma_Kandara, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Dear SuperMacx1, thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed yourself along with the many services and activities on offer here including our restaurant and spa. I must also advise that it was our Front Office team that sourced your DVD after you had left. They knew from my liaising with them how much this meant to you and when you were unable to find this, they went above and beyond to ensure you did not go without. I hope it was a nice surprise to open when you received this at home a week or so later. The team are genuine and they do little things like this to make a difference. It is wonderful to be a part of and they do gain so much satisfaction from this. We all look forward to welcoming you back and anything I can do to assist and make this happen, please do not hesitate to make contact with me directly on gm@karmajimbaran.com
Kind regards - Luke Harley