“Villa Balquisse”

Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Paris, France
“Villa Balquisse”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here last week - our first stop on a Balinese odyssey. What a way to begin! Villa Balquisse is all about low key chic, evident from the moment you walk through the beautiful Balinese wooden doorway. The grounds are peppered with comfy sitting areas, statues hidden in artful places, antique pieces like an old cash register, as a quirky addition to an outdoor Balinese sitting area. There are two pools, and an expansive green lawn, great lighting, an excellent, quirky restaurant that seats people in and outside, and a great spa with treatment rooms that make you feel as though you are out in a jungle.

We stayed in a family loft-style room for 2 nights, which was so well done. The touches of detail - antique phones that actually work, beautiful fabrics and rugs, chunky furniture and the integration of Balinese pieces throughout, is superb. We were able to see a couple of rooms, and each is unique and different in design, and all were so well done! I can see wanting to mix it up and stay in a couple different rooms. Villa Balquisse is a calm and cool place where you want to stay for weeks, not just nights.

Made, the manager, is not only charming and totally welcoming, he's also absolutely divine to look at (had to say that). He made us feel so welcomed. My 20-year old daughter checked in a day before I arrived, and he made sure she felt comfortable. When I arrived the next day, he was right there to greet me and I felt like I was in his home. Never did we bother with any formal check-in process, which I happen to hate, just another of the personal touches at the Villa Balquisse that go a long way. In fact, the entire staff treated us so warmly and wouldn't hesitate to do anything to make our stay more comfortable. Two examples: 1. I drink a protein shake every morning. The kitchen staff would take my bag of powder and whip it up into something magical each morning. A total work of art. 2. My daughter was experiencing some stomach problems. We had mentioned this when we were having massages, and Dewi, a gifted masseuse (I know whereof I speak on this one), took it upon herself to pop out to a local store and get my daughter some medicine. She brought it to us, and would not take a penny for it. It touched us so much. Do take advantage of the spa treatments - the rooms with the sunken tubs are just magnificent. Our best massages over the entire 14 days in Bali, were here.

On our second day at Villa Balquisse, we were poking around and discovered the villa on the property, The Shaba. This is a three-bedroom, colonial chic villa that is soooo fabulous we had to enquire about it to Made, the manager. Indeed, it was available if we wanted to transfer for the rest of our stay. We jumped at the opportunity and in fact, had the villa all to ourselves. This is truly heaven! (Please see my review on The Shaba).

Jimbaran is a mellow area - it is not busy like Seminyak, yet its low-key vibe is more authentic Bali than other tourist areas. I have been to Bali several times now, and due largely to Villa Balquisse, I discovered how much I like Jimbaran. With the trees on the beach like you see in your mind when you think of Bali, and the small, manageable little bay, we really came to love it here - especially after having stayed in Ubud and then Seminyak.

Room Tip: Every room is different and original. The loft is a great choice if you are traveling with kids, as...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Battered Orange S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New Zealand
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed at Villa Balquisse for 3 nights in room 2. The decor of this place is incredible, I'd describe it as funky vintage bali/euro fusion. Every last detail has been considered and carefully styled. I absolutely loved it from the moment I set foot through the doors. I am not a fan of larger than life resorts with no personality, so this place was perfect. It's just the right size - large enough so that you can have your own space from other guests, but small enough to still feel cozy and intimate. There isn't much to do in Jimbaran besides seafood on the beach - but that doesn't matter, cause you'll hardly want to leave this beautiful hotel. There are two gorgeous pools to choose from, and you can while away the hours in the sun while staff bring you complimentary fruit skewers and lime infused water. Plenty of places to lounge in and out of the sun, and a lovely spa to visit on the grounds. Breakfast was delicious and very generous. The staff are incredibly nice and helpful. I can't recommend this place more highly. You won't be sorry if you choose this hotel! And if you do go, make sure to check out Balique - a restaurant just up the road from Balquisse, owned by the same people. All I can say is YUM - scrumptious food at a really reasonable price, and more gorgeous decor.

1 Thank kharger
Lausanne, Vaud, Switzerland
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and it's truly a beautiful place. Jimbaran is not so exiting but it was nice to finish our trip in Bali in this relaxing place after 2 weeks of travelling. I loved the spa! The best ever and the staff was so kind.

1 Thank Laurita1982
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Elegance, style, ambiance, a real oasis at Jimbaran. We initially chose it because it is not far from the airport and we were all arriving on late flights over several days, but it was just exquisite and we are so glad we were there for the first part of our stay in Bali. The massages were also just gorgeous in the spa located on the property. It was all perfect for helping us to unwind and get into the gentle rhythm of a holiday in Bali.

Room Tip: We had three deluxe suites, stunning, quirky, each one unique
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Loughton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2012

In addition to my new wife, Miss Merlot's previous review below...

Should you happen to be taken off to a Balinese hospital on the last night of your honeymoon with a red snapper fish bone lodged somewhere deep inside your tonsils, then at the very least with the staff at Villa Balquisse you will find yourself in good hands!

A very kind member of staff, Wayan, accompanied us to hospital (at 9pm when she was due home!), helped translate between the medical staff and ourselves, and assisted with the insurance paperwork - all of which was very much appreciated!!

In short, I can only reiterate my other half's recommendation!!

1 Thank DavidAshley15
London
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband and I have just spent two weeks on honeymoon at the Villa Balquisse, and cannot recommend it highly enough!

Our choice of Villa Balquisse was not down to mere chance, but was rather a result of copious hours of internet research (on the bride's part, naturally...!) beforehand - in short, we chose the Balquisse (as opposed to the countless huge, souless resorts that otherwise ring the island) due to its small-scale nature, "boutique" design, and rustic charm. I am historically a "backpacker" and my other half a "luxury lover" - for us, the intimate character of the Villa Balquisse was the ideal meet-in-the-middle for us both, and, thankfully for us, did exactly what it said on the tin!

As it was our honeymoon, we booked a Jepun Deluxe room, which definitely lived up to the photos on the website. The room came with a rain shower and separate bath, and was spotlessly cleaned every day - we also arrived to find it specially decorated due to our honeymooner status, which we also thought was a nice personal touch :)

Some Tripadvisor reviewers have commented that the photos on the website are somewhat misleading - if anything, we didn't think the site images truly did the place justice! We did also take the chance to snoop around some of the empty villas, and found them all to be equally as beautifully designed / well-equipped. That said, we would echo the comments of other reviewers that it would be nice to pre-select your room online, given that all are so uniquely created. In terms of room design, the only flaws we honestly could name in our case were a destinct lack of lighting in the bedroom, and the use of a silk curtain as barrier between bedroom and bathroom - asthetically pleasing maybe, but not exactly practical in terms of "muffling" for those who, like us, collectively elect not to break the lavatorial "sound barrier"...

Staff were consistently friendly, attentive, and happy to assist in booking trips and tours any time (the hotel manager, Made, deserves particular commendation here...). When not out and about, we were served mint tea and coconut sponge cake every day at about 4pm, though admittedly we never saw the advertised fruit sticks materialise earlier in the day - that said, after ample and delicious fruit plates as a main breakfast component, I couldn't really see the need anyhow, particularly when most people were off out at the beach as well... The only minor criticism in this respect we would have is that the reception was not always manned, and we occasionally had to wait a few minutes for someone to turn up when we needed...

Clientele was by and large discerning, being made up of mainly French visitors with a few fellow Brits and the odd German / Dutch couple thrown into the mix too (not a loud-mouthed Russian in sight, unlike in many of the other places we visited over the course of the trip) - the overall atmosphere was definitely one of peace, tranquility and mutual consideration. There was always plentiful space around the pool, in the restaurant, and in the outdoor seating area, though the hotel was at at least three quarters capacity at the time.

For all the fellow techies out there, there was also (relatively!) stable, free wifi for all Balquisse guests, as well as ample plug sockets in the outdoor seating area so you could surf away to your heart's content by the pool, if you so wished.

Each guest also receives a complimentary bag with beach towels, sun hats and sarongs, which was also a pretty nice touch.

We deliberately chose the Jimbaran beach area due to its relaxed nature, which was perfect for us - if you are a party person, Kuta or Seminyak may well be a better bet. In terms of nearby restaurants, resorts aside there wasn't all that much about - we went to the amazing Jimbaran seafood BBQ restaurants on our first and last evenings, as well as the Balquisse's neighbouring sister restaurant, the Balique, which was also pretty nice, if somewhat overpriced. In general though, we tended to eat at cheap but invariably delicious local warung restaurants, which you can find lining any and every street in Bali - a particularly nice one was the Warung Bunana just around the corner on the Ngurah Rai road, where you can get some lovely Malaysian curries, stuffed rotis, and a variety of delicious teh tarik.

Many reviewers have commented on the perceived distance between the Balquisse and Jimbaran beach - in our case, we had rented a scooter for sightseeing for the entire fortnight (highly recommended), so could zip round from A to B in just a couple of minutes; however, on our very first day we were happily run round on request by the hotel staff, and then cut quickly and easily back by foot via the neighbouring Intercontinental Hotel. If attempting to nip through the opposite way, claiming to be having lunch or meeting friends at the Intercontinental bar or restaurant seems to be a pretty good tactic, based on our previous experience of gatecrashing coastal hotels posher than our own... :))

A further discussion point in the previous hundred odd reviews seems to have been the Balquisse vs the Shaba villas. In all honesty, the Shaba is right next to the Balquisse and shares the same set of staff, spa, restaurant and reception with the main Balquisse complex, so unless you're majorly into asthetics (and a slightly larger pool), we wouldn't necessarily think it was worth the extra expense.

Unbeknownst to us, as part of our honeymoon package, we found we were entitled to an hour-long Balinese massage (followed by a very pleasant surprise, which we won't give away!) in the hotel spa. I (the bride) am exceedingly fussy about the standard of my massages, but this was true "hair standing up on the back of the neck" stuff - would definitely recommend heading here rather than the, by comparison decidedly amateur, cheapy massage salons which line the Jimbaran strip. It might be more expensive, but our subsquent reflexology and shitsu visits were more than worth the money!!!

The hotel restaurant, the Asam Garam, had a lovely setting and an eclectic menu, but was somewhat overpriced and a bit "blah" in terms of food quality (service was, of course, as excellent as ever) - especially by comparison with some of the aforementioned local warungs. That said, we were surprised with a complimentary three-course dinner as part of our honeymoon visit, which was extremely welcome! Breakfast was included each morning, and featured fresh fruit juices, tropical fruit plates, crepes, toast, croissants (plain and croissants), various hot cooked dishes, or Indonesian nasi / mie goreng - we were never able to get past two courses of the above on any one morning!

Anyway, that's summary enough from us - in short, highly recommended!!

6 Thank Miss_Merlot
Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

Writing this in bed before flying off tomorrow morning. I think this hotel is beautifully designed the photos don't really do the place justice. It is indeed very relaxed and quiet set back from the busy main road. The breakfast is beautiful although hard to finish all the courses! Our room had a great ambience and I think it is very well priced for the quality.
They also have a stunning restaurant a couple of doors down which is worth checking out.

My only comments would be that as each room is so unique it would be good if you could request them specifically ie there are a few deluxe rooms and I wasn't sure which style of room I was going to receive.

The other small thing is that the bathroom although had a lovely bath would of been better with a standalone shower as I'm sure most people shower more than bath.

Definitely recommend this to anyone staying in jimbaran, the beach had a nice feel to it not much hassle etc and a great sunset. Some people might find more going on in seminyak if staying for more than a couple of days.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple