“indulgent, extravagant, decadent and unforgettable”

AYANA Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Hong Kong
“indulgent, extravagant, decadent and unforgettable”
Reviewed April 28, 2010

My stay at the Ayana was amazing to say the least. My boyfriend and I stayed at one of the pool villas, and woke up each morning to a wonderful view of the horizon and jumped into the plunge pool right away. The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly, unobtrusive, and very efficient - i never had to repeat my question or my request. My favorite place has to be the Rockbar - it's absolutely hopping on the weekends, but quiet enough during the week days that you can enjoy the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks and sip their delicious blueberry mojitos at the same time. 3 months later and I'm still craving a mojito as fresh as the one they serve at the Ayana.

The Spa experience was so decadent that I actually felt GUILTY after my 2 hour session.
They deserve all the awards they've won for sure!

Growing up in Asia, I can say with confidence that I've had my fair share of luxury resorts, but Ayana is, hands down no contest, definitely my favorite.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 28, 2010

I have been to Bali many times given I grew up in the region and this was by far one of my best experiences. Highlights of paradise below:
- 1,500 sq foot villa with modern balinese decor with an outdoor plunge pool overlooking the garden and ocean
- Brunch in the plunge pool followed by a walk around the ground which included a beautiful glass chapel, inifinty pool with waterfall, and settled finally by the ocean pool which overlooks the ocean and of course has sea water where my gf and I sipped on daiquiris and some tequila
- Evening consisted of Valentines Day dinner for two on the cliff overlooking the ocean with candles surrounding us on the grass and serenaded (her not me) by the Golden Voices of Bali who sang some romantic oldies and pop hits
- Usually hotel food is blah but given the owner's background in restaurants, each meal was pleasure from the delicious Bali pizzas (had it three times) to traditional Japanese and Indonesian fare
- Nights ended at the lotus sangria bar or even better the new Rock Bar which sits literally on the cliff / above the ocean, pumping the latest techno/trans and great drinks

All in all, a great fun and romantic getaway for those looking to relax and from what i've seen and heard one of the best places in Bali to get married

Newton, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We stayed here during the last couple days of our honeymoon, when the hotel was still a Ritz Carlton. We were extremely impressed in almost all respects.

1) Service. Service we found to be generally excellent throughout all of Bali, but the Ritz was in a class by itself. Every need or want was addressed. When we noted we were honeymooners at check-in, we were upgraded to a truly palatial suite -- excellent!
2) The grounds. The pools were beautiful, and the entire property was just lovely and wonderful in all ways.
3) The brunch buffet. While it was pricey by Balinese standards, it was fairly reasonable by Western standards, and it was one of the best hotel brunches I've seen anywhere, integrating Western dishes, local dishes, and other Asian (Japanese/Chinese) dishes.
4) The rooms. Perhaps we were biased, since we did get upgraded to a suite, but the rooms were beautiful, spacious, and left nothing to be desired.

Just about the only negatives I'll state are the food generally (outside the brunch) was not at all a good value for the price, and the hotel is very far removed from everything else, which can be nice for relaxing & safety, but is inconvenient if you want to dine outside the hotel. We did -- restaurants will pick you up from the hotel, and there are some great options to try down on the beach in Jimbaran, but be prepared for a long ride.

However, especially since we were able to workaround it, this was a very minor negative. The beaches here were among the best we'd seen in Bali, clear waters, beautiful sand, calm tide. The pools were great. It was just a wonderful end to our honeymoon.

Hopefully not much changed when it became the Ayana, or at least I'll hope so as it was already so great.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2010

If you like spending $ 9:50 Us on one bottle of water and $ 12 Us on a can of beer and you like walking up and down hundreds of stone steps every day then this place is for you !!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Disapointed006
Singapore
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I got married here in 2007 whilst under the Ritz Carlton management and it was absolutely perfect. Since then i have returned a few time however Feb 2010 was the first time i have been under the Ayana Brand (west paces management). We stayed at an ocean view cliff villa at a cost of around USD 700 per night Just got round to writing this review.

Awful is an understatement. Whilst the location is great, the hotel has gone nowhere but downhill and there are very obvious cost cutting measures in place.

I absolutely hate complaining and being negative about things but I think the best way to review this hotel would be to copy/paste the email i sent to the GM on our last night at the hotel. In response to this, i did see a member of staff (Clive i think his name was - he did hi best to rectify the situation by offering free nights etc etc but i would rather pay UD 600 and stay at the four seasons next door, rather than have a complimentary night at this resort) the next day, but never received a personal reply/apology to my email from the GM which i found very disappointing.

So here goes:

Dear Mr De Foucault,

Myself and my wife are coming to the end of our holiday at your resort. You will notice from your records that we have stayed here a number of times before and we were also married here in 2007. I was going to write this email upon our return home, however recent events have forced my hand to send this to you before i leave.

Overall we are dissapointed with our stay here, and i would like to point out that there is a very noticable difference between the current management and the Ritz Carlton Brand. Allow me to elaborate in each area:

Dava

I had this restaurant rated as one of my favourate dining outlets in Asia. Unfortunately things have changed since the ayana rebrand:

1. On two occassions, my wife found a strand of hair in her food; once at dinner and once at breakfast. On the first occurrence we chose not to complain as we had a nice evening and did not wish to tarnish the event by complaining.

2. At breakfast, the 'hard sell' of the spa is completely inappropriate and unwelcome. We are here on holiday, and not to be a part of some prospecting database for your spa staff to sell there services. Indeed, my wife would have quite happily availed herself of one of the treatments on offer. However, due to the almost daily 'pushing' of the spa she chose not to partake. I suggest you take measures to immediately rectify this. I cannot help but feel that the dava breakfast is targetted specifically due to the higher room cost, thus wealthier clientelle. I expect to be sold a spa package whilst walking down the legian strip in Kuta and NOT at a flagship restaurant in a five star resort.

3. Staff uniforms are filthy. Whilst i understand that the staff may not necessarily have the resources to launder their clothes everyday, as an employer you should anticipate this and provide more than one uniform. If i can make the effort to wear a clean outfit every day, then you should ensure your staff do as well.

4. Breakfast again .... This morning i asked for oatmeal (not on the menu) and skimmed milk for my coffee. Neither item were in the restaurant and had to be sought from outside resulting in a substantial wait. THe day before; a request for a croissant (at breakfast!!!!!) had to be sought from outside!!!! This is a result of bad management and lack of organisation, and that responsibility lies with you sir!

On a more positive note, the staff are very friendly and willing to help. However they are clearly restricted in how they can do their job e.g. it is not the waiters fault that they had no skimmed milk, rather whoever is in charge of the kitchen should ensure that there is sufficient stock. It is however interesting to note that some of the more long term staff whom i knew from previous visits have now left.

Sami Sami

A lovely restaurant, ruined by the sound of heavy bass coming from the Rock bar down below. The rock bar is an excellent addition to the hotel, but is it really necessary to have it 'booming' up to the restaurant above. I feel sorry for those who are staying in the villas in that area.

Housekeeping

On two occassions i noticed that used plates from room service were left outside my villa for periods of between 12-18 hours i.e. overnight.

Also, in the toilet in our Villa, the same stain remained on the toilet for the entire duration of our trip. I have removed this with tissue and water myself

Laundry

This is the part which has forced me to send this email to you today; i send a shirt for laundry this morning and was returned around 3pm. Upon changing for dinner i noticed that something was stuck in the top pocket of my shirt and on further investigation i was absolutely disgusted to find that faeces had found its way into my shirt!!! What amazes me is that this shirt was pressed and someone would have surely noticed the odd patch of colouring on the outside of the pocket. But i was delivered a tailor made shirt, made from the finest italian cotton at a cost of over USD 300 to me containing faeces. What concerns me even more is that your staff are handling the same items and these are the same staff that are delivering room service, preparing food etc etc. I am absolutely speechless!

I invited your duty manager to my villa to alert him to the laundry issue described above. As i told him, if it were not for the fact that i am checking out tomorrow i would have left immediately and chosen another hotel.

We have always had a sentimental place in our hearts for this resort, but it is evident that there is very little control from management and there are serious cost cutting measures in place (e.g. there is no water/fruit handed out around the pool any more). As an example, i have not seen one manager present in the resort other than when i complained earlier today. In contrast, we went to the Four Seasons for dinner this evening and we were immediately escorted around the premises by the assistant manager of the hotel.

Overall, i am very dissappointed by this and am sorry to say that we will be looking at alternative resorts in Bali upon our next trip.

8 Thank jamie2226
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2010
Dear Jamie
Thank you for taking the time to post this review of your experience at AYANA. Clive Edwards, our Rooms Executive, took action on every point raised after meeting you at the resort, including verifying that it was gecko droppings in your shirt pocket. We have implemented new procedures to ensure that such incidences do not recur.

Once again, I am extremely sorry to hear about your experience, which is certainly not consistent with the high service standards and commitment to quality that AYANA prides itself on. We are very appreciative of your feedback as we continually strive to improve our services.

Best regards

Charles de Foucault
florakaty
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I didn't realy know what to expect as it was my 1st trip to Bali. The hotel was chosen by someone else but I could not have picked anywhere better. Spa a bit pricey but fabulous.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Perth, WA
Reviewed April 14, 2010

I have just returned from an amazing 7 days at the Ayana Resort. We travelled over for a friends wedding and extened our trip on either side and I can not say enough about the facilities and staff at the AYANA Resort.
We took our 16 month old baby and the staff where amazing - they are a credit to this hotel and made our trip a memorable one. We were orignially booked into the 3rd floor and when we expressed our concern as Chloe has just started walking we were quickly moved to a lower level room and upgraded to a suit which had planty of room for her to walk around. The breakfast was wonderful and we ate out just about every night and the restrants are amazing - I highly recommend the Italian and Japanese.
The Spa is out of the world and I was lucky enough to have the best massage I have ever had and you must try aqua tonic spa for a different experience.
The grounds of Ayana are amazing and the pools breath taking - we didn't need to leave the resort.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough - its a must - even if its just to have a drink at the rock bar!
I have never been so sad to leave a hotel and we will definately return and I can now call the Ayana my home in Bali as they made me feel like family.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MegsMax
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
The Legian Bali
#7 of 143 in Seminyak
The Villas at AYANA Resort BALI
INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort

Been to AYANA Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!