“Both exceptional and needs improvement...”

AYANA Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed September 6, 2013

As other reviewers have noted, the ayana is a beautiful property. What we (myself, my husband and 2 year old son) loved about it was the outdoor facilities and the wonderful service that we consistently received from the staff at the pools and the beach. The staff were always on hand with fresh towels and cold water, and were happy to move the deck chairs around for us so that we could sit under trees. I can't say how many people were staying in the resort, but it did not feel crowded, and we pretty much always had the kids pool and playground to ourselves. My son especially loved the breakfast at padi, where he was given a bowel of bread to feed the fish each morning. We loved the rock bar, and the hostesses made sure that we had a couch so that my son could play with his books while mummy and daddy enjoyed the sunset. We needed a sleeping bag washed for my son, and this was done very quickly and free of charge.

The downsides - we arrived in the afternoon just after the 3 pm check in time, but had to wait, as our room wasn't ready. Our reservation clearly requested a baby cot, but it wasn't in the room. We were told that this would be followed up, but hours later, it still hadn't arrived. When I called to follow up, I was put through to housekeeping, who told me to "look outside your room". There was a cot outside another room down the hall, and at a less than 5 star resort, I probably would have dragged it into my room myself, but really didn't think that was acceptable at ayana. A bit later someone did come and move the cot into our room. At check in, we requested a late check out. This was important to us as our son sleeps 12 - 2. We were told that this certainly wouldn't be a problem, our reservation had been noted, but were told that this would be confirmed the day before check out. I didn't hear anything from reception the day before check out, so went to confirm that late check put would be ok. The lady was really unhelpful, and said there was nothing on our reservation about late check out, and I had to leave at 12 due to an early check in to our room. I explained about our sons sleep, and she said she would see what she could do and call me. This never happened. Thankfully, my husband is a member of the loyalty program at the intercontinental, and were able to arrange a discounted room there with early check in to make nap time. Other downsides - it is pricey, and isolated, our bathroom was a little grubby (there was mould in the grout which could easily be removed by scratching), and sometimes our room wasn't cleaned till 2 or 3pm.

On balance, I don't think that I would stay at ayana again. There was so much that I loved about it, but it was really a few days of play for my son, and I think he would be just as happy in a more low key resort.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank shesays
AYANARESORT, Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear ‘shesays’,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate your comments, both, the positive and those relating to opportunities we can improve on.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the expansive grounds of our 77 hectare resort including the swimming pools, the children’s playground, the outdoor facilities, as well as the sumptuous buffet breakfast at our Padi Restaurant. I am also glad that you liked the sunset at Rock Bar and you perceived our services as caring and consistent. I will share it with our team members, who will feel additionally motivated.

I regret the delay you experienced upon check-in, and our failure to have the baby cot set up in your room upon your arrival at the resort. In addition, I apologize that we were unable to provide late checkout as a result of our high occupancy during your stay. I understand it caused inconvenience, especially having a young child, and I sincerely apologize that we did not correspond closer to your needs. In addition, pleased to clarify that we provide housekeeping services twice a day and I have followed up with our team to ensure that tasks are followed up in a timely manner throughout, also during busy periods. I am a firm believer in continuous improvement based on guest feedback, and I once again thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us so that we can address the points you have made.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and to the opportunity to provide a better experience next time.

Best regards,

Martins Ehlers
Rooms Executive

There are newer reviews for AYANA Resort and Spa

Reviewed September 6, 2013

One of the best hotels we have ever stayed. Ayana has everything. Beautiful rooms, grate location by the ocean, delicious food, amazing spa centre on the rocks by the ocean... We loved the staff there as well who are so nice and friendly

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank serdar d
AYANARESORT, Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear ‘serdar_d’,

Thank you for your review of AYANA. It is a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular your dining experiences, room, the resort’s cliff-top location, Spa on The Rocks and the sunset views.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback, I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA.

Warm regards,

Martin Ehlers
Room Executive

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The resort is the best I have been so far. Very friendly staff specially when you stay with kids. Everything was amazing. The only thing the restaurants within the resort are expensive but if you want to spoil yourself its definitely worthy!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The resort is located on a cliff (I think is the most beautiful spot in Bali) so you have breathtaking view of the Indian Ocean, especially when you have a cocktail at the iconic Rock Bar. The private beach Kubu is not crowd, there are several pools in the hotel, infinity pool was amazing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Ayana is a big resort with amazing grounds: the restaurants, bars, pools, beach, aqua therapy, gym and club house were all wonderful. The restaurant near the private villas is excellent with a great live band. It is a big resort though with a lot of people, so get up early to get the best pool cabanas.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This resort is amazing. It is expensive but well worth the experience. Very quiet and relaxing. There are plenty of restaurants and the food is all good. The Rock Bar is amazing and you do feel a bit special getting to the front of the line being a guest at the resort. The gym was well equipped and the spa experience was awesome. The room was lovely. The staff are extremely attentive and everyone has a smile and a welcome. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: The ocean room view is spectacular.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have mixed feelings about Ayana Resort and Spa. It was a "hit and miss" weekend for us. We decided to book a club room during our 3 night visit. Airport transfers to and from the resort were great and for me worth the extra expense for care free transfers. Check in at the Club was quick and easy. During breakfast and lunch at the Club, the service was outstanding and the food average to good. But during light dinner, service was almost non-existent - very slow response from the staff. Each night a different restaurant from the resort (Dava, Padi, and Sami Sami) served their dishes there. A perfect chance to show off their food and get guests to visit their restaurants. It was a blown chance - food quality average to below average. I really wouldn't visit any of these restaurants after sampling their food. An example, one night the Club served burgers (beef and tuna), I tried the tuna burger and it was very bland like eating cardboard; and my wife tried the beef burger and it was very salty like eating a tablespoon of salt. Even with the hits and misses, the club room is still the way to go since alcohol is very expensive here; but to be fair, alcohol is very expensive at all 4 and 5 star resorts on Bali. Service around the resort (pools) was great and friendly. If you have an early flight you cannot check out at the Club since it is not staffed early morning. Which I find interesting since we were checking out between 5:30 and 6:00 am and the Club opens for breakfast at 7:00 am. Also we ordered an early breakfast which we never received - not expected at a 5 star resort. But no problem, it was removed from our final bill. All in all, I really can't say if I will return to the Ayana or not. It was a fun trip; but nothing stands out to make me want to come back.

Room Tip: Club room is a must if you happen to enjoy a glass of wine or two.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WVmounty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
The Ritz-Carlton, Bali
The Ritz-Carlton, Bali
#6 of 54 in Nusa Dua
The Villas at AYANA Resort, BALI

Been to AYANA Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!