“Just visited the Spa and Rock bar. But would like to go back and stay”

AYANA Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Just visited the Spa and Rock bar. But would like to go back and stay”
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Very different concept with the Aquatonic but worth a try. It's a bit of a drive from where we stayed in Legian. So we decided to go for a half day trip combined with the Ayana spa and Rock bar.

So Aquatonic is a 2-hour seawater therapy. It's a pool with a series of water jets targeting different pressure points and releasing tension in all areas. Pretty good concept and very relaxing.

We were a group of 5 and we could all go for the therapy together. Go around 4pm so you can be in the pool during sunset and enjoy the view.

We were served brilliant ginger tea. Would like to know the recipe.

Staff was very helpful and friendly. Facilities were clean.

Bit expensive but we got a package with a drink at the Rock Bar, which worked out well.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank TeenaTT
AYANARESORT, Spa Director at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear ‘TeenaTT’,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear your feedback about our team’s service and your experience with the Perfectonic Package, starting at our Thermes Marins Spa with the Thalassotherapy treatment at the Aquatonic Seawater Therapy Pool and concluding with sunset at Rock Bar where you enjoyed the Priority Access as part of this package. The recipe to our iced herbal tea served as a welcome drink to our Spa visitors is 1cm of ginger peeled and lightly crush, 1 stalk of lemongrass, a handful of mint leaves, 250ml of boiling water, 2 of your favourite teabags and rock sugar to taste. Thank you again for sharing your feedback, I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

Michi Sonoda
Spa Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Tanjung Pandan, Indonesia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

we were staying at the hotel resort view, everything was great at the beginning. Upon arrival we get a garland of flower, a nice touch for guest.

After we get to our room, it meet up with our expectation, and all staff at the hotel were great, they smile and greet consistently and the warm hospitality is heartfelt.
While spending our time at the pool, some staff offer us to help us taking pictures and we were very pleased at the service of all the staff at the hotel

But at the evening, a few staff at the rock bar really ruined our mood....we were going down through inclinator, and being an in house guest we get the privilege to skip the queue at the inclinator.
When we get down there, the place is already crowded as it is almost sunset time and we are aware that we will have to wait for the table and we dont mind. So i register my name to the hostess that are in charge for seating, I told her that we are in house guest and ask her if she need our room number since she didnt ask, and then she write down my name and my room number.
As its cramped and full of people at the deck wait to be seated, i ask the hostess if we could wait at the pool and get her to call us when our table ready, and she said that she will, so we went to the pool and wait there. After quite a long time waiting, i got a feeling that things are just not right, but another in house guest next to me that also wait at the pool is getting called by one of the rock bar staff, so i think its just a matter of time because the bar is really crowded.

After waiting for an hour and half, i go there to ask whether my table is ready or not, and the hostess just easily replying, 'i skip your table because when i call your name you didnt came'...at this point, the sunset is already done, even the outside guest that still queueing at the inclinator when we get down is already done in the bar and queueing to go up.

I remind the hostess that i told her to called me at the pool and she said she would, but she didn't even reply me at all. Then i ask her to give us the next table available since she already skipped our table for a long time, and she said yes, so i get back to the pool and ask my wife to go to the bar area, and yet there, i had to wait again as she ignore me to the point of like she didnt see me at all, so after a while, i go and stand next to the registration area waiting and just want to ask the hostess to make sure that my table will be available soon, but then another staff at the rock bar came and told us to move aside and wait in line like we were trying to skip the queue for the table.. at this point im getting angry and i told him that we already wait for a long time and they just skip my table, he apologize and ask another staff to escort us to our table

It was a messy table, still not cleaned up, on a bad spot with no nice view and sands below. we were seated and after waiting for a while no body give us the menu until we asked for it, truly a lousy service. I already lost my mood at all so i didnt order anything, my wife did order some fries and juice.
When we finished and i ask them to charge to the room, the waitress seems a lil bit confused and asked why an inhouse guest being seated at the seat for outside guest. I told her they skip our table and give us this table after we complained...
She apologize and give us a rose when we sign the bill. But then everything comes clear to me, as why the staff didnt call me at the pool, or why they treat me without any respect. It was because the staff DID NOT BELIEVE me when i told her i am an in house guest and even when i try to tell her our room number and she write it down, we still end up at the table for outside guest. And that is why they didn't make effort to call me while i waited at the pool, and why they just easily skip my table.

Its a sad thing because we have been travelling to a lot of places and never once we get a disregarding experience like this, being a guest and treated like an outsider, and it happen in a place that we had high expectation since it bears a great name associated with great hospitality, and it should be easily avoided if the hostess just ask me to show the room keycard, which i wont mind. I feel underestimated by the staff there and it reduce my experience with ayana from what would be an excellent moment, became a poor stay due to this.

I try to complain and ask them to email that night, and then the duty manager called me that night, offering me to have some drink at top table of the rock bar, which i refused since i didnt get any good impression at all from the rock bar.... in the end he offer to give us transport to when we checking out and i accept the offer...

In the end, I think there is room for a lot of improvement for the rock bar, and im complaining here since rock bar is one of the highlight of ayana and it turn out to be a dissapointment. And the most important thing is to NEVER underestimate a guest and make PREJUDICE, you can doubt your guest but a little verification like asking the room key is better than ASSUMING that your guest is LYING just to get a good table.

I personally, on my subjective point of view won't recommend Ayana to all my friends, family and network since i get a personal dissapointment here..but objectively, i still think that Ayana is one of the best resort out there in bali

8 Thank Marwan1985
AYANARESORT, Food & Beverage Director at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear ‘Marwan1985’

Thank you for sharing your experience at Rock Bar. I am very concerned by your feedback and am investigating it with my Rock Bar team. Our entire team at AYANA are committed to the highest level of service to all guests, and the Priority Access enjoyed by in-house guests at Rock Bar is part of our commitment to providing a memorable stay at our resort. I am aware of improvements needed at Rock Bar over sunset to better manage the queue there for both in-house and non-resident guests, and I am treating this as a priority. It is unacceptable that any guest, including an in-house guest of AYANA, should feel so mistreated by a staff member of Rock Bar. Please accept my apologies for the communication issues and poor service at Rock Bar which ruined your stay at AYANA. We certainly do not intend to discriminate against any guests and I do hope you will forgive us for this experience and give us an opportunity to make it up to you.

I am pleased that, apart from Rock Bar, you enjoyed your stay at AYANA and still rate our service and facilities highly. I hope to welcome you back so that you can enjoy your entire experience next time, including Rock Bar. I would look forward to the opportunity to personally welcome you to the resort and assist you during your stay.

Thank you again for bringing these issues to my attention so that I may take immediate steps to correct them and ensure they don’t happen again.

Best regards,
Manik Sudarsana
Food & Beverage Director
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at Ayana in October 2011 for our 35th wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. The staff are unbelievable so helpful and always smiling. We stayed in an ocean view villa with private pool. It was perfect. We spent 7 nights but it was not enough, we should have stayed at least 12 days to truly explore the resort. Ayana's private beach Kubu Beach is a great spot for relaxing. The two ocean front spa's are sheer luxury. The food at all venues was very good but we loved Kisik the best with mouth watering seafood, amazing sunsets and the friendliest staff. Buffet breakfast at Padi and a la carte at Dava was scrumptious. Plenty of good coffee as well. I loved the ocean pool and Dana and Made are the best. The rock bar is the place to be for a sunset cocktail. We had little gifts left for us almost everyday which was a wonderful gesture. Perched high above Jimberan Bay Ayana Resort offers cool breezes and spectacular views of the Bay. It is a magical place and I would definitely go back. A bit pricey but worth every cent. I so wished that I had stayed longer.

Room Tip: A villa with private pool is great. Club rooms are good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 915Margaret1955
AYANARESORT, Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear ’915Margaret1955',

Thank you for your review of AYANA. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at your private Villa and the seafood at Kisik, breakfast at Dava, our private Kubu Beach, Thermes Marins Spa and Rock Bar. I will share your feedback with all our team members, especially your butler and Dana and Made from the Ocean Beach Pool. Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA.

Warm regards,

Martin Ehlers
Rooms Executive
Rome
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have been in a cliff villa for 7 nights and my review is based on the cliff villa experience.
The villa is simply breathtaking, with superb furniture and a really nice garden. Actually Ocean View Villas just see a small portion of the ocean and the pool is smaller than the one in the pictures on the site (i think they are referred to the ocean front cliff villa), but everything is really nice. Breakfast at Dava Restaurant was amazing!
Butler service has pros and cons, i think it really depends on the butler that you have. Mine was changed two days before the departure and the last one was really good, the first one only unuseful.
On big positive note is the food: all the restaurants are amazing!
The main hotel seemed to me a bit "average" (looks like a big resort in a crowded location like sharm-el-shehik...
Private beach is wonderful, there's always few people there! A shame that it's almost impossible to swim cause everyday there are big waves.
One note on the spa: i didn't like the massage and neither my friend. Staff there is really professional but not with the quality that you can expect.

1 Thank LeleItaly
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I needed to get away, switch off, relax and let someone else do the thinking for a while. A travel agent friend of mine suggested Bali, looking beyond the internationally-branded five-stars to a place in Jimberan she'd heard of, set on a cliffside among acres of jungle.

I looked at pictures and prices online and was sold on these alone. After staying there for two weeks, I know I made the right choice in AYANA Resort and Spa - a resort that understands what a luxurious getaway destination should be.

One of the largest resorts I've ever stayed in, AYANA felt like an intimate hideaway made just for me and my partner. Many times we walked its expansive grounds without seeing other guests. We always got a cabana lounge at the larger pools. We never had to wait long for service of any kind, whether it was drinks, meals or requests of reception. This was despite the resort and its 268 rooms and villas being 100% full.

We opted to stay on the Club Floor, gaining exclusive access to the Club Lounge - a distinguished top-floor space with views over the resort and out to the ocean. Here we made the most of complimentary drinks and a generous selection of snacks, meals and desserts five times a day. We also took advantage of the free Wi-Fi and Club Concierge - some of the friendliest staff I've ever come across, always looking to help with bookings and suggestions to enhance our stay experience.

On arrival, we were welcomed by the resort's sales and marketing director, Mr Mariusz, who whisked us up to the Club Lounge for a speedy private check-in. The VIP treatment didn't end there. Mr Mariusz ensured our stay was memorable from start to finish, personally helping us organise special dinners and experiences at AYANA, and leveraging his local contacts to get us the best seats at popular restaurants outside the resort.

We made it our mission to try as many of the resort's dozen dining and drinking options as possible. Our favourites were: Sami Sami for some of the best Italian food we've ever had (and we've been to Italy!); Kisik Bar and Grill for freshly caught and cooked seafood by the beach with sand underfoot; Dava for artfully-designed cocktails (passionfruit and chilli martini was a winner) and an extraordinary six-course degustation; and the uber-cool Rock Bar, a cliff-side open bar jutting out over the ocean, waves crashing across the rocks underneath - an amazing spot to be at sunset.

Other facilities which impressed were the thalasso spa (I had a hot stone reflexology massage... ahhh so good) and aquatonic pool with its series of hydromassage stations and jet streams. We also loved the 18-hole golf putting course, one-tenth the size of a regular course, and the seemingly endless collection of infinity, beach and river pools dotted around the resort.

Our room was newly renovated and spacious, with a king-size canopy bed, roomy wardrobe and a sizeable bathroom with bath, rain shower, separate toilet and (importantly) lovely L'occitane products. The room also had a spacious balcony with a huge daybed, overlooking landscaped gardens and Jimberan Bay.

A true highlight of our stay was the service. Ever-present but never overbearing, warm and friendly staff remembered our names and regular orders from very early on. We got the impression they genuinely enjoyed being at the resort too, which really enhanced our overall experience.

Even after two weeks, there was so much left for us to see and do. This, matched with the overwhelmingly positive experience we had of total relaxation, incredible food, heart-warming service and luxurious surrounds, will see us returning to this beautiful resort.

Room Tip: Consider the Club Floor - the add-on of exclusive Club Lounge access for complimentary drinks, meals...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ‘JazzCook’,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at AYANA, it is extremely rewarding to hear you enjoyed the resort and especially your Club Room and the complimentary services and facilities included for Club Floor guests.

I’m glad you found the resort to offer an intimate, luxurious experience despite being fully occupied in our 368 rooms and villas during your stay, and that you enjoyed discovering the many restaurants and recreational activities available throughout the property. I have shared your feedback with Mariusz and our team and especially those at the Spa, Rock Bar, Martini Bar, Dava Restaurant and Kisik Seafood Grill who will be delighted to hear of your fond memories of your stay.

I look forward to your return to AYANA in the near future.

Best regards,

Martin Ehlers
Executive Assistant Managers - Rooms
Pune, India
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Making research through lot of options, Ayana was the resort for the honeymoon in Bali and I would say it truly justified our choice.

Firstly I would like mention whats good - 'The staff' - just mindblowing, appreciate their courtsey and helping nature. 'The resort '- lovely and feel that one week is quite short to relax, explore. The Spa and rockbar add topping to resort luxury - astounding. I would like to specially mention about Indian chef- brilliant & tasty food especially paneer items.

Now few things which Ayana could improve on are - 'the breakfast'- being a indian vegeterian couple, we felt that breakfast didnt had any options of Indian/veggie items although compared to chinese/thai ones. Had to survive on bread/fruit items. The room view- spending few bucks for the ocean view, we expected the ocean infront of balcony but it was garden porch with bit of ocean view. Resort facilities should atleast notify about this before booking/handing over keys. We could have switched to cheaper option in that case. 'The bali dress' - should have kept a traditional dress for visitors to try out. It would be good to have 'professional photographers' to capture moments at different places in resort. Other resorts in bali provide this facility.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed at the property for 2 days in August and decided not to extend our stay (which was our initial thought). This is a huge resort with well manicured lawns and great staff. However, the room we were in which was a partial ocean view had a feeling of being tired. The corridor too felt as if it could use some cheering up.
The room was not well insulated as we could hear the phone ring and the TV in the next room.

The resort was extremely busy particularly with tourists from Asia, it seemed.

We wanted to use the swimming pool but all of them were busy. You have to put your name down and wait for someone to leave to get the umbrella and a spot. Same goes for the beach. We ended up using the pool at night when there was nobody. The pools are nice though when not overcrowded.

We spent most of our time outside of the resort.

The upside is that the staff is friendly and helpful.

Do not go at this time of the year, too many people every where, exobrient prices which do not match the service - all over Bali.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
The Legian Bali
#7 of 143 in Seminyak
The Villas at AYANA Resort BALI
INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort

Been to AYANA Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!