“great place for the first time to stay in Bali”

AYANA Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
shanghai
“great place for the first time to stay in Bali”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

we have stayed in a cliff villa for 2 nights. was a great experience although the bill is far exceed our budget. in fact we have booked 2 nights for the club room, but when we checked in, the proposal for upgrading to the cliff villa was hard to resist. because the huge space and the beautiful bath-tub was calling me to stay. so finally we pay another 300 dollar per night to take the offer. finally it proves that it's a wise decision. we can enjoy the great and elegant food and wine in the club lounge, and the pool open only for the villa guest was a great plus. compare to the crowded rock cliff pool where all the people rushed in at sunset, the villa pool was much more quiet and the design of the several story is geneius. we have spent a very good afternoon there wondering among the several lovely pools there. and it's very enjobable to relax in our private pool after the ice cream and wine after the dinner, even my 70 yrs old mom dip herself in the water which she never do elsewhere in the public. only this one worth the money i think. it should be the unique experience she has made there. the only draw backs are too many people around as long as you are in the main lobby and main pool, and the cold face of the butler. i think he is probably not happy with the little tip we finally pay him, 5US$ for our total 2 night stay. overall, it's a great experience, and great place to relax as the last stop of the trip in Bali, though it's not what i can afford every time i am in Bali.

Room Tip: if you choose a villa, then it's worth paying a bit more to stay in cliff villa instead of stand...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Qijia F
AYANARESORT, Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear ‘Qijia F’

Thank you for your review of AYANA, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience and felt the upgrade to a Villa with private pool, 24-hour butler service, complimentary internet and other exclusive benefits, was worth the additional investment. In particular, your feedback about the privacy that Villa guests enjoy, with separate check-in at our dedicated Villa Lobby as opposed to the Main Lobby for other guests, and the luxury of having your own pool. In regards to your butler, our team members very much appreciate such generosity but it is not expected. The best reward for our team members is positive feedback such as this, and on behalf of all of us, I again thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. I am confident you would also enjoy the Club Room that you originally booked, with the access to the Club Lounge and complimentary all-day dining and beverages.

Warm regards,

Clive Edwards
Rooms Executive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed at the Ayana for business and had a standard room. This hotel is beautiful and the Rock Bar in particular makes this a special place. A great stay in Bali but definitely not the very best.

Pros:
- Beautiful property with amazing views (particularly at sunset).
- Great main pool and private separate pool near the Rock Bar.
- Rock Bar. An amazing experience! And even worth the treak if you are not staying here.
- Reasonably well-equipped gym.
- Service is well-intentioned. I found that service was generally a little on the slow side but people make a genuine effort to be helpful to you. For example, I requested for an ice bucket but received a bucket of ice instead and alot of apologies.
- All rooms with balconies.

Cons:
- Hot, hot, hot. There is not a cool place in this hotel. With the exception of the Japanese restaurant, all the dining options are outdoors and the Rock Bar is on the water but exceptionally hot (ie no breeze).
- Rooms are a little tired, though I understand the Club Rooms have been upgraded. The bathroom in particular felt very tired. The drain in my shower did not drain properly and there was only one sink and a small separate bathtub.
- They try hard to make this hotel feel intimate but it still feels massive.
- Not really suitable for work. My room did not even have a desk (just a round table with a flower) and there was no plug next to this "desk."

Tips: Go for a Club Room, with access to the Club facilities or a villa

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LittleEinNY
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear _’LittleEinNY’_,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate your comments, both the positive and those related to opportunities where we can improve.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the views from our 77-hectare property, the Main Pool, Ocean Beach Pool next to Rock Bar, the design and setting of Rock Bar over the ocean, the fitness center, and design of your room featuring a private balcony. It is also rewarding to hear that you found our service caring and helpful, and I will share this with our team members along with your feedback on the pace of service.

I regret to hear that your room did not meet your expectations. Our Club Rooms and Suites have indeed been renovated as you mentioned, along with all 290 rooms and suites in our hotel and feature all new decor, bedding, marble flooring, plumbing and fixtures.

This renovation has received positive feedback from many business travelers and event organizers. We have hosted world-class events following the recent upgrade of AYANA’s MICE facilities, with the Ballroom extension that can cater for up to 900 people and six new break-out rooms including a 150-person high-tech state of the art auditorium. Based on your feedback, we will review our room amenities to ensure that they meet the expectations of esteemed travelers like yourself.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to AYANA Resort and Spa Bali in the future.

Yours sincerely

Adelaide
Reviewed April 28, 2013

An ideal resort for honeymooners or romantic getaway.
The Rock bar has to be experienced for the sunset, being the hotel guest there is no queuing, or waiting for entrance.
We stayed at the Club Room with all the privileges at the Club Lounge has to offer.
This resort trully has a big resort feel about it but also many places to escape.
The cliff pool attendants were very attentive and helpful.
To get the whole experience of this resort I believe you need at least four to five days.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JayAdelaide
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I went to Ayana some time back (earlier than the earliest date in this review, which is only until May 2012), but really only got around to reviewing it now, since I'm hoping to go back.

The main purpose of being there was for my friends wedding, but arrived early enough to go around Bali and tuck in a (Scuba) dive or so.

Ayana is a luxury resort in Bali, but in my opinion is well worth it, with excellent service, facilities, food I really liked and peerless spa (and packages, such as the travelers special, available even after checkout).

The location is unmatched, and sunset at the Rock Bar is postcard perfect. Swimming at the cliff side pool to chill then drinks by the sunset before heading out for nightlife was truly an experience worth remembering & reliving. The villas are amazing, with their own separate facilities. The spa was really very good, and even after a long drive to Tulamben and back for diving perked me enough for a relaxing nightcap at the restaurant pavilion.

If you want to splurge, I highly recommend a stay. Or even just queuing up for admission to Rock Bar -> drinks by moonlight at high tide with the surf showering you is surreal. There will be / are other cliff side resorts with a view, but the first cut is always the deepest...

Room Tip: The lower ground floor rooms in the main building look nice as they seem to give access to the groun...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Paris
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was an great experience for us, we had a villa with a fantastic view and it was amazing, the quality of the build of the resort is exeptional, but in the villa the valet services with the golf car to go out is a bit of a pain, but the staff is very nice, price are high for bali, but quality is here. negatif side it is a bit boring in evening/night time, not much to do except restaurant and rockbar...
And go to the Beach!!!!
Defenitly recomend it. It was paradise!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jean_claude41
Rome, Italy
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

The ocean view is amazing. You may see the beach at almost every outdoor location of the resort. Ideal venue for vacation. We had dinner at Kisik Bar & Grill. The price of seafood is acceptable. We were surprised that they served salad, soup & vegetable free-of-charge. Aside from food, you can enjoy the atmosphere, sky and breeze. Rock Bar is another "must-go" location. Taking a cable car to get down a cliff is a funny experience. The sunset view is fabulous!! Remember to tell if you are hotel guest, it will save a lot of time for queueing. As Ayana is a high-ended resort, the price for dining is quite high. The front desk would suggest you joining the club lounge for day(s). Comparatively, it costs less for meals but the food is not attractive and not many varieties.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank kobyron
Dear _’Kobyron’_,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay at AYANA Resort and Spa Bali. .
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the various activities, Rock Bar views and inclinator ride, and Kisik restaurant for the fresh barbecued seafood over the ocean which includes salad, soup and dessert with every main meal. I shall also pass on your appreciation to our team members who will feel very rewarded by your compliments.

With regards to the meal options at the Club Lounge, as you mentioned the Club Lounge privilege is available exclusively for guests staying on the Club Floor and includes all-day access to our Club Lounge which features complimentary cuisine and beverages, five times daily. The menu features a different restaurant each night, allowing guests to enjoy a culinary journey of the resort's seven dining venues, from Modern French at Dava and traditional Italian Sami Sami, to Japanese, Indian, Thai, Indonesian and Chinese Dim Sum. We will review the selection of all dining at the Club Lounge, from breakfast to morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper, to ensure the cuisine is consistently up to our high standards. Along with the meals you will also be entitled to additional benefits of complimentary cocktail hours and other benefits.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us, I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA in the future.

Yours sincerely

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel. It was a treat for the last two nights of my stay in Bali. When I turned up I was firstly given the wrong room, after a day of travelling all you want to do is be able to relax. Even on the way to the room the woman that took us there was running through the fact that it was good to book for dinner at the hotel. I said what about at the Rock Bar, should we book there. As I know its the real treat of the hotel. She said sarcastically "Are you going to have drinks for dinner".

When checking in to the hotel I was asked to provide a $100 dollar deposit. Even though I had already paid for the first night of accommodation. But of coarse no problem until I checked my bank account the next day to see $1200 had been taken out of my account instead. I went straight up to reception to query this and they had no proper explanation as to why so much money had been taken out of my account as I mentioned previously I had already paid the first night. It was taken from my savings card that was meant to be used for my last day in Bali to buy presents for my friends and family. I did not receive the money back for over an entire week.

I would of thought they would of offered something in return for making such a big mistake and putting me in a stressful situation but the best they could do was offer me a massage.

On top of this our room had a strong damp smell and the room was not cleaned until 2pm in the afternoon. We had left for breakfast at 8am so there was plenty of time to attend to this.

I would not normally make a formal complaint like this but being a highly rated resort I would expect a much higher standard to the way I was treated. I stayed at a number of hotels in Bali on my trip that where so excellent and the service amazing and must say this hotel was an absolut disappointment.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank Marina Y
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear ‘Marina Y’

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I regret that your experience was not up to the standards that our team at AYANA take pride in delivering, and I have investigated your concerns so that we may improve our service for future.

Our records show that our staff made an error in the billing of your room, which was charged against your Debit card, meaning that it could not be cancelled immediately when the error was discovered. Our Manager on Duty did immediately contact the bank to refund the money but this took the bank some time. We apologize about this error and the inconvenience it caused you, and we will take more care in future to avoid a repeat of this. It is standard hotel policy to request a guarantee in the form of either credit card authorization or cash, against any incidentals during a guest’s stay. This amount is then credited against actual expenditure and the balance (if any) is refunded to the guest upon check-out. This is standard policy for hotels worldwide.

I regret that your room was not up to your expectation. We have just completed a renovation of all 290 rooms and suites in our Hotel building and received positive feedback, and we provide Housekeeping service twice a day. I appreciate your comments so that we can continually review and improve our products and services to the satisfaction of all guests and I have followed up with our Housekeeping team to ensure that rooms are cleaned in a timely manner.

Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to investigate the issues you raised and review them with our service team. We are committed to the highest level of service and I regret to hear of your experience. I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future to turn your experience around.

Yours sincerely,

Edward Linsley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
#10 of 199 in Ubud
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,005 reviews
The Villas at AYANA Resort BALI
INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort

Been to AYANA Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!