“Nice ocean view, but high cost for meals and service”

AYANA Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

The ocean view is amazing. You may see the beach at almost every outdoor location of the resort. Ideal venue for vacation. We had dinner at Kisik Bar & Grill. The price of seafood is acceptable. We were surprised that they served salad, soup & vegetable free-of-charge. Aside from food, you can enjoy the atmosphere, sky and breeze. Rock Bar is another "must-go" location. Taking a cable car to get down a cliff is a funny experience. The sunset view is fabulous!! Remember to tell if you are hotel guest, it will save a lot of time for queueing. As Ayana is a high-ended resort, the price for dining is quite high. The front desk would suggest you joining the club lounge for day(s). Comparatively, it costs less for meals but the food is not attractive and not many varieties.

1  Thank kobyron
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear _’Kobyron’_,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay at AYANA Resort and Spa Bali. .
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the various activities, Rock Bar views and inclinator ride, and Kisik restaurant for the fresh barbecued seafood over the ocean which includes salad, soup and dessert with every main meal. I shall also pass on your appreciation to our team members who will feel very rewarded by your compliments.

With regards to the meal options at the Club Lounge, as you mentioned the Club Lounge privilege is available exclusively for guests staying on the Club Floor and includes all-day access to our Club Lounge which features complimentary cuisine and beverages, five times daily. The menu features a different restaurant each night, allowing guests to enjoy a culinary journey of the resort's seven dining venues, from Modern French at Dava and traditional Italian Sami Sami, to Japanese, Indian, Thai, Indonesian and Chinese Dim Sum. We will review the selection of all dining at the Club Lounge, from breakfast to morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper, to ensure the cuisine is consistently up to our high standards. Along with the meals you will also be entitled to additional benefits of complimentary cocktail hours and other benefits.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us, I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA in the future.

Yours sincerely

Edward Linsley

There are newer reviews for AYANA Resort and Spa

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel. It was a treat for the last two nights of my stay in Bali. When I turned up I was firstly given the wrong room, after a day of travelling all you want to do is be able to relax. Even on the way to the room the woman that took us there was running through the fact that it was good to book for dinner at the hotel. I said what about at the Rock Bar, should we book there. As I know its the real treat of the hotel. She said sarcastically "Are you going to have drinks for dinner".

When checking in to the hotel I was asked to provide a $100 dollar deposit. Even though I had already paid for the first night of accommodation. But of coarse no problem until I checked my bank account the next day to see $1200 had been taken out of my account instead. I went straight up to reception to query this and they had no proper explanation as to why so much money had been taken out of my account as I mentioned previously I had already paid the first night. It was taken from my savings card that was meant to be used for my last day in Bali to buy presents for my friends and family. I did not receive the money back for over an entire week.

I would of thought they would of offered something in return for making such a big mistake and putting me in a stressful situation but the best they could do was offer me a massage.

On top of this our room had a strong damp smell and the room was not cleaned until 2pm in the afternoon. We had left for breakfast at 8am so there was plenty of time to attend to this.

I would not normally make a formal complaint like this but being a highly rated resort I would expect a much higher standard to the way I was treated. I stayed at a number of hotels in Bali on my trip that where so excellent and the service amazing and must say this hotel was an absolut disappointment.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Marina Y
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear ‘Marina Y’

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I regret that your experience was not up to the standards that our team at AYANA take pride in delivering, and I have investigated your concerns so that we may improve our service for future.

Our records show that our staff made an error in the billing of your room, which was charged against your Debit card, meaning that it could not be cancelled immediately when the error was discovered. Our Manager on Duty did immediately contact the bank to refund the money but this took the bank some time. We apologize about this error and the inconvenience it caused you, and we will take more care in future to avoid a repeat of this. It is standard hotel policy to request a guarantee in the form of either credit card authorization or cash, against any incidentals during a guest’s stay. This amount is then credited against actual expenditure and the balance (if any) is refunded to the guest upon check-out. This is standard policy for hotels worldwide.

I regret that your room was not up to your expectation. We have just completed a renovation of all 290 rooms and suites in our Hotel building and received positive feedback, and we provide Housekeeping service twice a day. I appreciate your comments so that we can continually review and improve our products and services to the satisfaction of all guests and I have followed up with our Housekeeping team to ensure that rooms are cleaned in a timely manner.

Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to investigate the issues you raised and review them with our service team. We are committed to the highest level of service and I regret to hear of your experience. I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future to turn your experience around.

Yours sincerely,

Edward Linsley

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went to Dava for dinner. We had no idea what to expect. The night was perfect. To make it even better our waiter Sweedy was fantastic and extremely attentive.

Do yourself a favour, have a treat an GO!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

People: if you are going to Bali, want to stay in Jimbaran, and you like awesomeness - then stay at AYANA! Best resort experience we've ever had!

We were lucky enough to stay at AYANA about a month ago and I am still on a high from the experience. The service, the room, the views!, the food! EVERYTHING!

First all of, on arrival, we were upgraded to one of their spectacular suites. Pretty nice digs! The suite had everything you could ever want in a room - two separate rooms, two bathrooms, a huge king-sized bed, lounge area, huge balcony with a fantastic ocean and garden view, a killer bath tub (filled with warm water and rose petals) AND two televisions!

After giggling entirely too much about our room, we were off to explore the resort. This place is beautiful! Three amazing pools - each with their own charm - and I think four or five restaurants. Plus, you have AYANA's famous Rock Bar, which is this kick-a*s bar, perched on the cliff-face, overlooking the ocean. Cocktailing really doesn't get much better than this. Any given night there is a huge line to get down to the Rock Bar (there is an inclinator to take you down there), yet if you are a resort guest, you skip the queues! Pretty pimp! And by the time you're stepping off the inclinator, the amazing staff are greeting you (by name) and shuffling you to your table. REALLY impressive service, REALLY awesome bar.

I cannot think of a better way than spending a day, then waking up at AYANA, enjoying the very yummy buffet breakfast, flopping into the pool (and then flopping into another one of the pools), getting a poolside lunch and drink, seeing some of the neighbouring attractions in the afternoon, then heading back to the hotel for sunset drinks. Pure bliss!

We can't wait to head back to AYANA! Thank you to everyone who made our stay so amazing. It was unforgettable.

4  Thank JoHamiltonLorenz
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have visited Bali on approximately 12 occassions over 25 odd years, staying at 2star to 4star depending on our age,children,money and the part of the Island culture being experienced.
On this occassion my wife had been ill for 18mths and, during a break in treatment, we chose Ayana for 8 days just to relax, recuperate....... and 1 morning mandatory shopping, of course, at Nusa Dua for my assuredly genuine Rolex and Armarni jeans.
To say Ayana was magical and at the height of our previous travel experiences is not doing the Resort and most importantly, their staff, justice.

This was intended to be a special trip and we chose the Ocean View Suite with Club facilities included. The Suite balcony looked out over the immaculate gardens to the sea and Jimbayan Bay. Evenings saw the Sunset and the prawning fishmen leaving from Jimbayan and the distant "conga line" of aircraft lining up to land [no intrusive noise]. Mornings watched the fleet returning and the high tide "blowhole" against the cliff, and not to forget the Lion Air aircraft saving on the tyre wear and disembarkation fees by landing in the sea at the end of the runway [no serious injuries amazingly].

It is patently obvious from the high levels of service and the quality/friendliness of the staff, that the management place a high value on not only providing staff with skills, but also making the resort a happy place to work in with opportunities for advancement. This came through in abundance throughout the Resort in their desire to make the stay special and memorable.
I disagree with one reviewer that the Club limited your options. The food,service and environment were 1st Class, with each days meals and sensational sweets provided by the chef of each of the Restaurants at the Resort in rotation. Virtually eat all day if you want, or at any times after enjoying the sun/pools/library/Rock bar. Each Chef competed to serve high quality with endless variety over our 8 night stay [French mains & Italian sweets like your a millionair]. Wine,cocktails,liquers were of very good quality at all appropriate times. The staff welcomed your return and were just fantastic in their attention to each individual clients preferrences [which they learnt very quickly and just simply impressed you by day 2 as to how you liked your Ginger Tea, Wine with ice, and when that Cointreau was being seriously contemplated as a nightcap] and friendly desire to refine their conversational English/Japanese/Chinese or French.
Whilst we also ate "out" at the Rock Bar/DAVA, the Club facility faired more than favourably in comparison at all times from 7am to 10pm, and especially at Sunset viewing "wino" time.

Resort facilities have been reviewed by others and I would merely concur with the positive reviews. Yes the "Villa area" pool and library is sensational and very quiet, we had no issue with some very occassional gorgeous, very well behaved children "invading" to brighten up the morning with their delight under the waterfalls. Lets face it, they had their own huge and entertaining pool area with slides and floaters elsewhere in the Resort where Im sure they badgered Mum until they took them there anyway. At my age I was pleased the other "children" over 18 went to the Rock Pool, it's so hard to get past page 20 of your book by day 8.

All in all there is nothing to fault, even the lovely Chinese gentleman who loved hanging all his much assorted underwear from the balcony rail each morning, im sure to the managements displeasure. I bet they offered him free laundry just to cease the practice at breaky time.

To the Resort staff a very big thankyou, you are a huge part of this Resort.

Hopefully we can return in 1 or 2 yrs time to Ayana and sample one of the Villas this time.

To the very many under 40's observed, try leaving your laptops/ipads in the room a] Your on holidays-enjoy it b] Your not impressing anyone c]Your staff back home are very capable of running the business without getting breakfast, lunch and dinner emails wanting to know how many times they went to the toilet. If you dont let them make a decision, your business is history anyway.

Room Tip: Yes its not cheap, but thats not the intention sometimes is it?? The Club Ocean View Suites are the...
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Ayana is a destination hotel. Once you've checked in, there every reason to stay. The beach is short and rocky and rough but is simply gorgeous. There are so many infinity pools, with views facing the shore, to choose from you will not miss the beach.

The breakfast at Padi is ok. There is a great assortment of fruits, local and continental breakfast. Although there was a variety, nothing was superb but alright.

We had a big room facing the ocean with a balcony. The room is well appointed, plush and the AC is grand. A welcome reprieve from the heat outside.

The service and staff are excellent and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I love that everyone has a warm smile to greet you.

Before checking in to Ayana, we stayed in Seminyak and took a tour to Bedugul, Kuta and Ubud.

This seclusion and luxury of this place is a nice way to end the trip.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

From the moment we were met inside the airport by the representative from My Bali.com.au who fast tracked us through the chaos of the arrivals hall we had the most perfect 8 days in Bali that we have experienced in about 15 visits to the island. The Ayana Resort and Spa was without a doubt one of the best hotels we have stayed at in the world. The welcome, friendliness and efficiency of the staff in all areas of the hotel made our holiday so relaxed and effortless. Nothing was ever a problem for this wonderful group of people. We celebrated my husbands birthday by dining together at the end of our own private jetty which was very romantic, unique and totally unforgettable as well as really delicious! Chocolate desert to die for!!! The Rock Bar was great fun and we loved the VIP Priority line for hotel guests as much as the Lime Margaritas. All restaurants were a delight to dine in and the prices were quite reasonable.
We had the opportunity to upgrade to an Ocean Front Cliff Top Villa during the week and it was just amazing sitting in our gazebo looking at the most spectacular views of Jimbaran Bay. if you ever got the chance to experience this then just do it! I would recommend to anyone to book their holiday on My Bali.com.au as the additional extras they included really made for a wonderful holiday. I will definitely make the Ayana our retreat when we need a break!

Room Tip: Request an ocean view room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
The Ritz-Carlton, Bali
The Ritz-Carlton, Bali
#6 of 54 in Nusa Dua
The Villas at AYANA Resort, BALI

Been to AYANA Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!