“1st Class stay & staff”

Ranked #7 of 55 Hotels in Jimbaran
Colchester, United Kingdom
“1st Class stay & staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Jimbaran Puri Bali for the 2 weeks we were in Bali. We arrived on the 14th September. The busy Bali streets are slightly daunting but once you leave them you drive down a narrow lane towards the hotel. It's quiet and clean and directly by the sea. Our first impressions of the hotel were the sweet smelling frangipani trees and warm smiles from staff. On that night we were greeted by Nastra. A happy chappy who showed us to our garden cottage villa (Rm 37). He was extremely helpful and kind and showed us all the amenities included in our villa. Cottage 37 is situated nearest the sea and furthest away from the street. I would recommend staying nearest the sea so you can hear the waves at night. The street, although busy during the day and early evening, quietens down by nightfall.
Our villa was beautifully decorated and well presented.There was a stunning super kingsize bed, double sink bathroom with sunken bath and an indoor and outdoor shower. It also had a TV and DVD player, tea/coffee facilities and small but comfortable living room area. It more than met our requirements for the 2 weeks.
Each morning started with a fresh and fulfilling breakfast. You can chose to sit by the huge lotus pond or by the beach. Wherever you sit you will be served by a waiter. Egg, pancake or french toast specials are available each day along with endless fresh tea and coffee. Also included is a large stocked buffet - Fresh juices, fruits, breads, pastries, cereals, cheese, meats and hot dishes such as bacon, tomatoes and potatoes as well as traditional Balinese noodles and rice. You are served by well trained staff who are always quietly waiting to attend to your every need.
The hotel is right on the wide, sandy beach and there are private sun loungers that are attended by hotel staff. The staff will frequently come round to you to take drink and snack orders. The sea is a few steps away from your lounger but if you prefer the serene swimming pool is also close by. Also available is a beach/poolside massage. About 300,000 indonesian rupiah - That's about £15 and extremely worth it! Throughout the day the beach/poolside staff will also come round with frozen fruit sticks or small cups of fruit sorbet. However, I do recommend the snack menu if the big breakfast starts to wear off... The burgers and salads are gorgeous and very tasty. The nicoise salad was a piece of art that I almost didn't want to eat but I managed it.
By evening you can have your choice of places to eat. Roam down the beach (either left or right) and you will find numerous fish BBQ restaurants. Get to the BBQ places for 6pm onwards to get the best tables for the sunset and the best fish. Alternatively, the local areas of Jimbaran and Uluwatu are nearby and full of restaurants of every cuisine. These stay open later and are accessible with a quick and cheap taxi ride.
There are 2 restaurants at the hotel. One has special nights with a set menu and the other is a la carte. Both are very good and the food is expertly prepared with taste and presentation in mind. We went to their Tuesday BBQ night both weeks and attended the Legong Bali night on our last night at Jimbaran. The food was gorgeous on each and every occasion. My only criticism is that it can be a bit pricey but regardless, we were on holiday, it is totally worth the extra cost and it was the best food we had whilst in Bali. If were didn't pass it on already then compliments to the chef!
Now for the most important part.... On the second day at the hotel we were walking over to breakfast when we were greeted by the friendliest smile. This smile belongs to Lia. Lia is responsible for Guest Relations. She immediately introduced herself and made it her personal quest to make me and my boyfriend feel at home, taken care of and happy. She sat us down and talked through various activities, restaurants, temples and places in Bali we might like to see with her personal recommendation. None of the hard sell and pressure you normally get. It was more like she was proud of Bali and wanted us to be happy. We felt reassured and safe in the knowledge that Lia was doing her very best to cater for us. We saw Lia practically every day at the hotel. Lia always made time to speak to us and make sure we were having a relaxing and happy stay. I would go so far as to say that Lia was the main reason we had a 1st Class stay at the Jimbaran. Lia is a credit to the hotel.
On the second week of our stay I decided to upgrade to the private pool villa as a present for my boyfriend. Lia was at hand to personally show me the accommodation available. As it was a surprise Lia had arranged staff at the hotel to move all our luggage and belongings to the pool villa whilst my boyfriend and I were out for the day white water rafting. On our return Lia and I led my boyfriend to the pool villa pretending that we were just looking at the other accommodation options available. As he walked into the villa he began to see our clothes and items and his jaw dropped as he began to realise the surprise. The pool villa is stunning. The garden is much larger and the villa is surrounded by lush grounds and lotus ponds. There is a cool stone pool, fountain, sun loungers and day bed to use. The decor is all dark woods, white walls, cool linens and marble floors. One of the nice touches is the sweet treat at that awaits you when you return from your evening out. Housekeeping at both the cottages and pool villas are efficient, quick and professional.
The spa is located between the beach and the cottages in bamboo huts. It is small and perfectly formed. We had a few 90 massages throughout our stay. They always hit the spot! Ayu and Tri are very good at getting all the stress and tension out so you can enjoy your holiday. My boyfriend and I both have back problems and have had our fair share of massages. These treatments were among the best. The nicest part is listening to the waves crash on the shore as you have your massage.
If you need anything the staff at the Jimbaran are more than willing to make your request met. My boyfriend and I spoke to every member of staff we came across - From housekeeping, spa, restaurants to reception. Everyone was helpful, professional, friendly and sincere. It really felt like we were all family.
Our last day at the hotel was emotional as we had such a special experience at the Jimbaran Puri Bali and Bali itself. We have already deciced that when we go back to Bali we will 100% stay here as our friends at the Jimbaran Puri Bali will no doubt look after us again.
A special mention to Lia, Tino, Nastra, Dwi, Dera, Okta, Rami, Ayu, Tri, Ronny, Rami, Ria, Rustini and Sammy. Although everyone is not listed I would like to say that ALL of the staff contributed to out 1st Class stay at the Jimbaran Puri Bali.

Room Tip: Cottage 37 is the closest garden villa to the beach.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RinaBina
Charles K, General Manager at Belmond Jimbaran Puri, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear RinaBina,

what can I say but thank you so much for an amazing review of your stay at the hotel, the detail with which you have written your comments are truly wonderful.

I will be sure to pass on your thanks to the entire team and we certainly hope you are able to visit us here in Jimbaran at some time in the future, we greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

With our very best regards,

Charles and the entire Jimbaran Puri Bali team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We chose this hotel for our last days on Bali as a special treat based on the excellent reviews on tripadvisor and the location.
Overall this hotel is already quite dated since the buildings ( beside the villas) were build in the 80s.
After arrival we got, compared to in our previous hotel Maya Ubud, not friendly greeted.
The manager was pretty rough towards us and we did not feel like we just stepped in a 5 star hotel.
The two cottages were pretty much in the nearness of the parking lot and the reception which was already a let down. Also the booked " garden view" was non existent.
The cottages would have been ok for a 4 star hotel but one could see that the interior is clearly dated.
The bathroom is old and not inviting and the bed was not really comfortable.
But anyhow there are cottages and villas. The villas are newer and looked from outside much nicer than the cottages! The management should improve the quality of the cottages or reduce drastically their price. They are not worth the money.
So we hoped the beach would be a bit what we expected. In general one can say Jimbaran beach is quite crowded, who is looking for a quiet beach this is not the one.
The beach loungers are quite limited, so we had to go directly after relatively early after breakfast to get ours. There are toilets behind the beach restaurants, which are mixed for both genders. They could also be more often cleaned and towels refreshed.
The pool area is nice. But the Spa was again so uninviting that we did not even want to try any treatment. It is located near the beach in some sort of cabins.
It is also possible to get massages at the beach but those were done by older women which are partly collectors of leaves etc at the beach and offer also next to this massages. This does not appear professional to me.
The two restaurants were dissappointing. The prices are extremly high for Bali and the food is more Western food than Asian. The restaurant at the beach is nicely situated, also the food was ok but there was sometimes some undefinable disgusting smell around.
We went to their Legong dance evening. There was a set menu, which was not a problem for us but the food was again quite Western oriented. Also this menu+ dance was quite expensive and not every table was booked.
During the dance a couple came to look at the dance just by ordering a simple water with it. This is a no go.
The personal is partly friendly and partly demotivated. Many of them seem to work there since ways too many years since they might seem to loose the respect for their job and the guests. Several times during the breakfast I heard older service shout to younger service etc. Is this 5 star niveau?

Overall we did not enjoy our stay at this hotel and were glad when we could leave after several nights. We visited on one day also the Four Seasons and this is a true 5 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank KrisCobain
Charles K, General Manager at Belmond Jimbaran Puri, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear KrisCobain,

Thank you very much for your recent review, while I was very disappointed to read your post from your stay in August we appreciate your feedback and I would like to express my apologies for the areas where you felt let down by the hotel.

I have reviewed your many observations with my relevant team members and we will where possible look to improve in the areas mentioned. Feed back such as you provided allows us the opportunity to improve and evolve.

With very best regards,

Charles Kneipp.

General Manager Jimbaran Puri Bali.
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

we spent 3 days at puri bali jimbaran on honeymoon. these days are best days of my life.

beatiful beach and so nice villa and pool, so kind manager.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ramenpop
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Not much in the way anything negative to say about our week at the Jimbaran Puri. They went out of their way to make make our stay agreeable from opening their restaurant early to suit my grumbling tummy, setting up a table outside my room for a private dinner despite having to allocate two staff on a busy Friday night and not charging me anymore than the a la carte prices on their Indonesian restaurant menu to allowing me to check out late right on the day of the arrival of the peak End of Ramadan crowd. Rooms were well within expectation; clean, very spacious but not plush, even a little basic. I stayed in one of the beach facing mini villas. Suggest u take number 15 and up. 14 has a restricted view and anything with a lower number is blocked from the sea by the beach side restaurant structure. Just one small complaint; there is an empty piece of land next o the hotel where various events are held. Very noisy and at all hours including well into the night and early in the morning. Perhaps this happens only around Ramadan. The hotel should clarify. Regardless, we should have been warned in advance and at the very least, the hotel should have provided earplugs. Not a major issue. Just a little annoyance which blighted an otherwise perfect stay. Also, there is no gym but the long walks along Jimbaran Beach did the trick for me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bigpunter1
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We spent 10 days at Jimbaran Puri Bali and we have to admit that everything was just perfect. We had a two bedroom deluxe pool villa which is just perfect for a family. There are two villas surrounded by a private garden with your large (!!!) private pool. Between the villas you have the external dining are (there is also one inside) where you get served your afternoon tea with sweets, scones. etc.
The food at the restaurants is just wonderful (and we have to admit to be quite critical...). You can have dinner at the beach - feet in the sand, what we highly recommend.
The beach is awesome and the pool area very lovely. Overall we loved the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Jimbaran Puri Bali was a superb find for us. On a great stretch of blond sandy beach in lovely Jimbaran. This villas-only resort is peaceful, wonderfully decorated and appointed, and provides a perfect spot to relax at the end of an Indonesian trip.

We were in a 2-bedroom deluxe pool villa, and every detail was well thought out. The two restaurants were good, if a bit on rhe expensive side, and were airy and right on the beach. Breakfast was amazing.

All this at a fraction of the price of the nearby Four Seasons...

All in all a great choice for a relaxed time on the beach in a luxury resort!

Room Tip: Go for the villas ratherthan the "cottages"
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RispoParis
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Do not be put off as you arrive through ever-narrowing lanes with local people and breeze block walls. All this makes the stunning beauty and setting of the hotel even more impressive as you enter.

The beach is excellent and immaculately maintained. It is not a private beach (none are). It is far better and cleaner than the beaches further along the bay by the Four Seasons and the Intercontinental Hotels. Attentive staff keep the coal hawkers at bay.

The rooms are very large and comfortable with locally-made, traditional furniture. A large mosquito net seemed to be mainly for ornamental purposes; it did nothing for the flies, but I managed to entangle myself in its folds getting up each morning. You will need to spray with DEET if sitting out in the evenings. A large bathroom has indoor and outdoor shower. Our cottage had a private pool and a small terrace for siting to watch the sun set.

There are two main restaurants, a formal restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating, and a more casual beach café. The food is good, but not up to the standard of the sister hotel (Hanging Gardens) in Ubud. The breakfast buffet lacks imagination.

The beach bar is a great place to watch the sunset while sipping a cocktail or two. It is spoilt only by the continuous playing of "muzak", which no one seems to listen to. I would far prefer to hear the rustle of the palm leaves and the crashing of the waves. Wine is expensive, but local Balinese whites are drinkable and provide better value. Cocktails are reasonably priced, especially the cocktail of the day.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are the best. Some have private pools. You get a great view of the sun-set from yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple