“Still a great hotel, but reservations are a problem.”

INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort
Ranked #5 of 62 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed July 21, 2014

So judging by experience and reading others' recent experience, this hotel seems to be a Jekyll and Hyde property of sorts. Let's start with the positive...the property itself is just fantastic in just about all aspects. In June 2014 we stayed 3 nights in a Singaraja Duplex and then 8 nights in a King Bukit Suite.

Both rooms were very nice with sizable bathrooms, comfortable beds, great space division since we were traveling with our two kids (2nd half bath for them and separate sleeping area). The pools and the beach were beautiful as always, and food was excellent, too. We like to eat breakfast at either Jimbaran Gardens or the restaurant in the main building, lunch at Jimbaran Gardens and dinner at Jimbaran Gardens.

We had drinks at night by the Club Pool or the Sunset Bar, which were both really nice, but we preferred the Club Pool for its less club-like scene. We did high tea once, which was fun, and our kids made ample use of Planet Trekkers which was just terrific. During our 11 night stay, we saw only one employee who wasn't smiling at all times, and we always felt like we were well cared for. If I had to grade the stay on the employees, their service and friendliness, this would have been a rock solid 5 star review.

Yes, the rooms are indeed slightly dated and need a refurb, but even in their dated state, they are very nice. Minor quibble is that the hotel has stopped using the bathroom amenities it used to provide in the little porcelain jars and they now use the standard IC Agraria stuff, which I don't really like (and it creates tons of unnecessary plastic waste).

The big issue in this hotel is the check-in and reservations staff. I will try to keep this as short as possible...two weeks prior to the trip, we had been upgraded to a King Bukit suite for all 11 nights. I confirmed this via email with the reservations staff and aligned the newly acquired Club benefits with them. When we arrived after 30+ hours of travel, we were told the room was ready but we were lead in the wrong part of the hotel straight to a Classic Resort Suite. It took 3 hours of back and forth during which the hotel tried its best to deny us the upgrade I had seen as recently as hours prior with varying statements ranging from flat out lies (you were never upgraded) to dismissal (it is what it is, deal with it). After 3 hours, we were finally accommodated with a decent compromise (3 nights in the Singaraja Duplex followed by 8 nights in Bukit Suite) and the rest of the vacation was truly exceptional. Hotel gave us a free couple's massage cert and apologized profusely. They did the right thing, but only because I was very persistent. This should not be happening to IC Plat Ambassadors when they try to check in. I am planning on relaying a more detailed account to IHG in the coming days so they are aware of the shenanigans.

Room Tip: Get a Singaraja Duplex for the best combination of value,space, and amenities. If you can spend more...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Steffen P
Michel_KJ_Chertouh, General Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Dear Mr. Steffen P,

Thank you for your feedback. It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction pertaining to your recent visit at our resort.

Please be rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to ensure that such event will not occur in future.

We are continuously enhancing our service and facilities, therefore your valuable feedback is very important to us.

We hope you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Bali.

The Management

Write a ReviewReviews (4,143)

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Having seen some other 5-star resorts in Asia, we were not completely satisfied with this hotel. Overall, we believe the hotel definitely needs a general renovation of the rooms. We had a Singaraja Room which was nice and clean in general, but the furniture and especially the bathroom were quite used. The Singaraja Lounge is situated in a corridor in one of the buildings and it provides some water and coffee which is good, but the location seemed a bit sad. We would have preferred some free water at the pool/beach instead.

Even though it is a really big hotel, the grounds and the beach of the hotel were nice and well-kept, you could always find a sunbed in the large area (maybe not directly at the sea if you are late). The hotel also has a nice beach-bar which allows to observe wonderful sunsets…

The staff was absolutely friendly and helpful!

For us the breakfast was average - not bad, but also nothing really outstanding (e.g. the choice of bread was a bit limited and the taste of the fruits were rather disappointing for this region).

We only tested the Asian restaurant for dinner, which was really good, the prices are lower European standard!

Overall, it is a nice resort but, maybe due to its age and its size, it cannot keep up with some other 5-star Asian resorts (anymore), of course that is just a personal opinion.

Room Tip: If possible take at least a Singaraja room, a good location is over the Spa center, 3rd floor for ex...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Simon B
Michel_KJ_Chertouh, General Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Dear Simon B,

Thank you for your detailed feedback pertaining to your recent stay at our resort. It is unfortunate to learn that we could not live up to your expectations on certain aspects.

Our team are continuously enhancing the service and facilities therefore your valuable feedback is very important and advantageous for us.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Bali

Reviewed July 19, 2014

A very enjoyable stay for myself, my wife and our 20 month old son. We had a duplex room (highly recommended as you can put a toddler to sleep upstairs and use the space downstairs to relax).

The hotel, buildings, gardens and swimming pools are all immaculately kept & the staff are very friendly and especially good with young children. Look out for Edy in the Jimboran Gardens restaurant - he's the best!

The section of beach outside the hotel is public and is a slight letdown. You have a view of Denpasar International Airport, although you don't get the noise. Walk along the beach in the morning (towards the airport) to see locals bringing in the morning's catch of fresh fish.

Overall an excellent experience & we will be sure to return.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank aardvark9A

Dear aardvark9A,

Thank you for sharing your experience pertaining to your recent stay at our resort. I'm glad to learn that you were having a fabulous family holiday.

I will convey your compliment to Edy, I believe your feedback will be an encouragement for him to deliver the excellent service.

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

This is one of those resorts that invites you to stay all day and never leave the grounds. Everything you need is right there (and the traffic outside is so crazy that there's no point in trying to drive anyhow). The breakfast buffet is to die for, and I don't normally enjoy breakfast buffets.

Stayed: December 2013

Dear Emily M,

Thank you for sharing your experience pertaining to your recent stay at our resort. I'm glad to learn that you enjoyed your holiday with us.

Warm regards

Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed in a duplex suite with our two children which was a large loft style room. The kids had plenty of space to spread out their toys and play. Pool area lovely, and can be quite busy at times. No actual kids pool in the main area, but a shallow area was fine for them to enjoy playing and splashing about. Breakfast selection OK, the indoor dining area can be quite crowded and noisy when full. We preferred the pool dining area for breakfast, less crowded and has a kids breakfast selection. Excellent kids club with nannies available to look after the little one's. Beach a bit rough and not really a swimming beach for kids. Many restaurants outside of the hotel along the beach.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Singapura01,

Thank you for sharing your experience pertaining to your recent stay at our resort. I'm glad to learn that you enjoyed your family holiday with us.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I just returned from my 16 days vacation in Bali. This was my 6th trip to this island. I figured I would give Intercontinental a try for one night to see if we liked it enough to come back to this hotel. I made my reservation 5 weeks before from US and paid for it in full in advance. Due to my flight mix up I asked the hotel to change my reservation to the next day. I had trouble dealing with the front desk and I was informed that I have to make my request in writing. I did this immediately but I did not get any response for several hours. So I emailed again asking to confirm that someone have received my email. I waited again for about an hour then I called. I was told by the reservation that I will have to pay around $150 because the "Balinese suite" is now at higher rate. I kindly informed the person that I am Platinum IHG member and I will not pay any more money, to which I followed up with another email stating my dissatisfaction. At the same time I received email back stating they have made my change and are looking forward to seeing me tomorrow at 1pm. I arrived at the hotel around 1:45pm. I was taken to the Priority check in, and I was told that my suite is not ready and they have to clean it. I said "no problem" I would like to go to this Balinese suite and put my valuables in the safe as well as my bags, and they can clean around it. Then, I got this look from the lady who was checking me in and later told that my Balinese suite is sold out and not available. She offered me a lower level classic suite plus $100 refund. I kindly rejected the offer and asked for what I paid for weeks ago. At this point my family and I started getting annoyed and asked for the manager. There was no manager on duty but Executive Chef whose "check in reservations issues" are not his expertise I am sure. He was nice but really did not know how to handle the situation. I was offered a massage and rejected this too as my previous hotel gave me complimentary massages for being a returned customer. I asked to be upgraded to higher suite and I was told that all higher suites were sold out, (which I found it hard to believe). At this point I was getting bad vibes and just wanted out of this hotel. I asked my husband to call back Four Seasons at Jimbaran and make sure they have villa available, and of course they did and knowing the situation they upgraded us to ocean front villa (talking about great customer service and customer satisfaction at FS). I asked the person in charge of checking in for a refund and email confirming my situation. I was informed that refund will take up to a week but she will email me. I did not receive any email that day. So, I wrote another email to the assistant manager about my experience. Then I left Bali and arrived at the Intercontinental in Hong Kong. My 7th time at that hotel and of course their customer service is "superb" as always! On third day I finally got an apology from IH in Bali and "we are working on the refund" answer, with a promise they will take care of me next time.
I doubt I will give this particular hotel a second shot. I do not travel 21 hours to be cheated out of what I paid for (specially when the website showed Balinese and higher level suites being available on that day). I believe they had guests who was in the Balinese suite and they did not move them out for one night, which should have been done, as it was done to me in a hotel in Napa California as it should be done if someone else is promised the room. Yes after spending 2 nights in one room I moved out to a different room because that room was promised to someone else for that night. I was annoyed at Intercontinental that they allowed this to happen and did not inform me prior to my arrival. I wasted 1/2 day on checking in and out, and driving in the circles from hotel to hotel. Not right, not nice, be aware, what you pay for you may not get at the Intercontinental in Jimbaran.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
23  Thank savvygirlLosAngeles
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed for 1 night in a club duplex suite. Overall, I find this resort is showing its age but has been maintained itself as best as possible.

The service is excellent throughout (although reservations had forgotten a small request I had made). I enjoyed walking along Jimbaran beach and having several dips in the hotel pool.

I followed-up with a stay at the Conrad Bali and had a better experience. The Conrad feels newer, the pool is larger, and the club lounge offerings are superior to the IC. Even though the beach is less impressive, I had a better time overall at the Conrad.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Michel_KJ_Chertouh, General Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear Jeffrey P,

Thank you for sharing your experience pertaining your recent stay at our resort. I'm glad to learn that you received an excellent service from us.

We are continuously enhancing our service and facilities, therefore your valuable feedback is very advantageous for us.

Looking forward to welcoming you on your next return to Bali.

Michel Chertouh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
2 mi away
AYANA Resort and Spa
AYANA Resort and Spa
#11 of 62 in Jimbaran

Been to INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort? Share your experiences!