“Almost Perfect”

Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Brisbane, Australia
“Almost Perfect”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and I just enjoyed 5 days here with my brother and his wife. Fantastic escape and a great spot to meet up with friends or family.

What a gorgeous resort. Intercontinental are always good, but this one is really lovely. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and meticulously maintained. Fronts directly onto a great stretch of beach which the team work hard to keep looking nice all day. The ocean is very swimmable here, although at times the outgoing current gets strong. My husband did a lot of body surfing and we saw lots of kids enjoying the smaller waves.

We spent our days on banana lounges enjoying the strong breeze off the ocean which helps keep the temperature down. There are lots of banana lounges to choose from along the full stretch of beach front - some areas are naturally busier or noisier than others.

The resort has multiple restaurants to choose from. We really enjoyed the 5 course Italian dinner which was served at a really lovely relaxed pace over 3 hours. We also enjoyed lying on a day bed at the beach bar guzzling G&T while watching the sunset and eating some really great nibblies (such as vietnamese spring rolls). The breakfast buffet is fantastic, the omelettes are really good, and the price isn't as bad as other resorts.

Alcohol is expensive (but that's Indonesia for you) and we were disappointed that a G&T cost the same as a complicated cocktail ($12). But the service was excellent and always friendly.

The spa is extraordinary and a "must-do" while you're here, one of the best we've experienced. Gorgeous fitout, relaxed atmosphere, extremely professional, high end products, and excellent services. I enjoyed a long massage and 60 min facial. Hubby enjoyed a 90 min massage and was so relaxed I nearly had to carry him back !!

The rooms are good, nice and quiet for a great night sleep. We chose a two storey room so we'd have a full size lounge room in case it rained (which it didn't).

We'll definitely be back to this resort despite a couple of negatives.

We preferred to sit and relax in a quieter area, but were overwhelmed with smoke from a neighbouring restaurant anytime the breeze died down.

We also liked the idea of a swim up bar in one of the pools - unfortunately the experience was always a major let down. Being repeatedly kicked by children is no fun, nor is it fun having your $12 drink get watered down with pool water from kids splashing. We even had one kid try to push us off our stools so he could order a milkshake. This resort is large enough that there really should be some child-free zones, and I would have thought an in-pool bar would be one of them.

Long story short, great resort with just a few areas for improvement.

4 Thank Deniese C
Michel_KJ_Chertouh, General Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Deniese C,

Michel Chertouh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I were staying in this gorgeous hotel during our Honeymoon in the mid of September 2013. We were pleased to be welcomed by Russian speaking concierge who explained to us all details of the hotel facilities. We choose to stay in Singaraga room which was ready when we came and a special surprise from the hotel - fruits and a bottle of champagne with some liqueurs for preparing the special honeymoon cocktail had been already waiting for us in the room. That was very nice!! The room was large, clean and well furnished; the bed was very comfortable and large. For Singaraga guests there are some drinks and snacks on 1st floor of the building. I must say that the area of the hotel is extremely beautiful and the land scape design is amazing. The view from our balcony was great! Room service was very good. Towels were changed twice a day. However one or two times the bed linen was in stains mostly from the frequent use I suppose. Not a big deal really. There were lots of sunbeds on the area so there were no problems with it even if you get up late, however to find the one in a shadow you’d better wake up earlier. Breakfast is served in 3 restaurants and the choice of fruits and food was of a good choice. There are amazing Sunset beach bar which is a must to be visited. Good quality of cocktails and meals, very comfortable, there are even beds where you can lay on right near the beach and enjoy ocean view, sunset when the sun goes down right in the ocean and rolling waves – in one word we were charmed of that place and spent there some time every night. This place left unforgettable feelings and memories with us.
Prices in a hotel for food and drinks are pretty high, however they are supposed to be so in such high quality hotel and in any case I suppose lower than in 4 Seasons. If you are limited in spending money on this you can always go to the fishermen’s village right near the hotel on the beach where very good quality and cheap see food is served. However don’t expect the clearness and neatness there such as in the hotel)) You can also take a taxi and go to Kuta where prices are lower but you will have to spend some money on taxi.
There also a photo service in the hotel which propose to do a photo session against a background of sunset and in the hotel’s area. IMHO the price doesn’t fit the quality and in any case it is pretty expensive on the one hand, however on the other hand you will get the unforgettable memories which you will unlikely find and do somewhere else. My advice is to bargain for what you get in the end.
All-in-all that was one of the best holidays in my life, we enjoyed everything in that hotel I can recommend this hotel with absence of any doubts, especially for honeymooners.
Thanks to the staff and management of the hotel!
As to the Ocean be aware that it is good for surfers but not for swimmers. The waves are strong and sometimes high so it is funny only to jump over them but not swimming calm. Also keep in mind the time of ebb and flow which changes every 6 hours

Room Tip: I would recomend Sihgaraga rooms
1 Thank AMakarov
Dear AMakarov,

Thank you for the feedback pertaining to the recent stay at our resort.

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the stay with your better half.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Had booked a Singaraha room and as Ambassador member I mistakenly thought we would get an upgrade to a Club room - afraid to say it didnt.
We arrived very late (dont travel Lion Air - chronic delays of 2-3 hours) Check it was made very nicely - beware the upgrade to Club isnt a part of the Ambassador or IHG thing here. We did get an upgrade to a Singaraha duplex which actually doenst make much sense when you are only a couple - except gives you some more stairs to climb :-) and a darker room due to the balcony wall is a bricked halfwall letting less light into the room.
The room is large and perhaps the furniture at the downstair level feel a bit lonely - could do well with another sofa chair or other furniture to fill the void - thus make it feel a bit more cozy and warm.
Bed was nice and good no problem there. The bathroom was nice with a good tub and shower seperated. There is a toilet at the groundlevel so you dont have to climb the stairs when you need to visit. The view was very limitted (room 3406) and can only imagine the rooms further down (towards the beach are very very dark due to trees blocking light and view. Overall the grounds a very well maintained a covers a vast area and plenty of pool space should you drop the beach, The beach is nice and there is a rent boot where surfboards and kayaks can be rented.
The Singaraha lounge is not to be confused with the Club level with offers which I have experienced in i.e. Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta - it is a somewhat meager effort to make you feel special. The coffee is ok and thats pretty much it for the lounge.

Breakfast is great we enjoyed thats immensly - we had the choice of two different restaurants. Both are very nice , the main restaurant is however having a larger spread.
We tried the beach /bar restaurant and it was a bit surprising the waiter couldnt tell the difference between a medium and large steak i.e is a medium steak 200 grammes or is a large 3 or 400 grammes?
The Italian buffet dinner was a good experience and the food is very well presented. The buffet refers to the starter and dessert only - you will still chose from the menu card when the main course is to be decided. We can highly recommend the seabass and chicken breast.

Will we come back ? Probably becoz overall the resort is nice and well maintained with good and efficient staff all over, but we may also take a serious look at other IHG hotels to see if we get more from our IHG membership.
The staff was overall very kind, efficient and very helpfull throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Carefull with the first half (counting from the Chek In side of the resort) of Duplex Suites in Sing...
1 Thank Peder D
Dear Varde6800,

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the stay.

As a constant endeavor, we will continue to invest into our resort and keep uplifting the services and facilities on a regular basis.

Thank you once again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Bali.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

pool was fantastic, plenty of daybeds all day for use, loved the beach did lots of swimming there.
we ate out at a few nice restaurants nearby.
if you dont get breakfast with your deal, highly recommend Karma lounge a 5 min walk away, best breakfast in bali.

Dear Ryjan,

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the stay.

Do try our choice of breakfast at Taman Gita with a wide variety of choice and cuisine. Additionally, if you are staying in Club, Suite Collection or Villa, you also have a choice of having your breakfast at our exclusive Club Lounge.

Sydney
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have just returned from Bali, 3 days at "The Haven" Seminyak and 5 glorious days at Intercontinental Bali in Jimbaran Bay.

Firstly don't think you are miles from the "action", a taxi to Kuta is only about AU$6 or a hotel car is about $35 for 2 hours then $17 an hour.. Or you can get a driver from Destination Asia for the whole day for about AU$60 which was great to go up to Tanah Lot and beyond. We tipped our driver $40 and really $100 for the whole day is exceptional value.

Admittedly, my initial check-in was a bit bumpy, as a Club Intercontinental guest we should have been taken directly to the Club Lounge, however the bumpy start was rectified beyond my expectations.

When I go away, I love to relax and enjoy the finer details and excellent service, in other words I want what I paid for and I got it here.

Firstly, The Club Continental Manager "Dewi" was absolutely brilliant, This woman has found her vocation in life, friendly, elegant, professional and on the ball 100%, So much so we left her a small gift in appreciation, I am not sure if she received it but I do hope so, only because I wanted her to know her services were appreciated.

We stayed in a Club Suite 6229 and it was beautiful! Clean, lovely outlook with the pool and ocean, huge comfortable bed, great sized wardrobe, bathroom, separate kitchen with an external door, lovely furnishings and 100% perfect. (see the photos)

The Club Lounge was elegant and served a lovely breakfast, afternoon tea and afternoon cocktails and canapes (or by the private Club Pool if you prefer). The staff in the Club Lounge remembered your preferences, coffee and water for me, orange juice for my husband, every morning.. Thank you Kusama!

My husband loved the fruit and Wisana made an extra effort to bring fruit to him and show him what they were.

We had a Romantic dinner on the beach the night of our wedding anniversary and it was amazing, Redina our waiter made sure everything was perfect and it was!

The grounds are fabulous, pools, restaurants, swim-up bars, walks on the beach all just perfect.
You can buy BBQ corn on the beach on your after dinner stroll.

We had a wonderful private breakfast up high in a Bale, with sea breeze and views- just wonderful!

There are many activities to do and the Saturday afternoon/evening market around the main pool was a great to but a few last minute goodies.

On this trip we dressed very very casual, in fact probably underdressed most of the time- shorts, t-shirts, thongs etc.. In was great to get out of business attire and just bum about. We would have looked like a couple of paupers most of the time and still the staff right up to the General Manager Michel Chertouh treated us exceptionally well.

In fact it was an anti-climax to "dress" for our flight home.

The food choices are great, however the temperature of food could be hotter and the drinks colder, but that really was no issue, just an observation.

Some Bali tips:

Fly Garuda if you want to by-pass immigration!

Leaving Australia- Buy your visa at the counter next to check-in AU$26 each.

Immigration is on board - literally 2 immigration officers fly with you!

When you get off the plane, head to the shorter right hand side lane - you have done immigration so wizz on through..

Wait FOREVER for your luggage - mine literally had foot prints on it!

You will be overwhelmed when you are greeted by 100+ men holding signs with various names.. Take a deep breath and walk along and look for your name. Intercontinental have a great timber sign rather than paper.

If you cases are on wheels? Don't get a porter, you are capable surely!

It's nice to tip people, the wages are low and the prices cheap - cigarettes are $1.30- $1.50 pack so don't buy duty free ones. My husband and I smoke on holidays and cocktail hours and smoking is not an issue.

Get your money from an ATM in a Circle K, always tug at the card entry first to make sure no skimmer, If you have to change money? Only use an authorised exchange and once counted, do not let them touch it again.

Batering for your goods- Can be fun! Be respectful! Offer 50% of their price and meet them somewhere in between that.. If you bought 4 t-shirts? Make sure there are 4 in the bag! Once you shake on a deal, you made a deal, do not back out as that is just rude!

Crime is not big as in pick pockets etc.. but a bit of scamming here and there so be aware and be friendly.
When a mo-ped stops and asks if you speak english? say no and laugh when they call you Rhonda or Katut!

With 4 million Balinese and 3 million bikes - understand that it is chaos, I would not recommend riding a bike and if you do? Have an International license that says you have a bike licence because you "can" get fined and your Insurance WILL NOT cover you! I have motorcycle licence as does my husband and we felt it was too crazy but each to their own.

When leaving the country: Check-In and then pay you departure tax $15 each at the little counter before departure gates. There are lounges that I'm told you can pay $12 to enter if you are economy passenger.. but you can't do this after immigration gates.

Behind the gates you will jump a few hoops, as a business class flyer I headed for the Garuda Lounge and felt sorry for the 100's of people lying and sitting on the floor, not nearly enough chairs and walks between gates are very long. The 6mins sign really means 15 mins? Picnic tables selling drinks and Duty Free is limited.

The Garuda Executive Lounge is very disappointing and failed to deliver - warm beer and ice cubes? No restroom and the one outside has an enormous queue with girls handing out toilet paper as needed...really?

They have a sign saying they are upgrading but I think it will be the same always!

The airport is new but incomplete, Don't expect International standard and you will be fine..

So in a nutshell? Make your way to Intercontinental Bali and have a wonderful holiday!

Room Tip: The Club Rooms are perfect, The suites are Devine, If you are going for a standard room? ask for one...
10 Thank Libstars
Dear Libstars,

Thank you for the detailed feedback pertaining to the recent stay at our resort.

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the stay and the facilities.

Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed October 13, 2013

All I can say is “WOW!” This resort is amazing. We opted for the club level and we’re so glad we did. After standing in line at the airport for 2 hours, all we wanted was a cold bottle of water and to sit in an air conditioned car. We were met by a staff member who steered us to a comfortable Mercedes, handed us a couple of water bottles and a cold towel. It felt wonderful after travelling for 24 hours. This was included in the club price. And the luxury, pampering and attention to detail continued from there.

We arrived at the hotel and the gardens and lobby were serene and peaceful; an oasis after the noise and traffic en route. We were offered a drink and were about to be checked in when the staff member realized that we belonged in the club, so we were whisked away to the club lounge. Everyone was speaking in hushed tones, there was crisp white linen and soft lighting. So peaceful. The décor was lavish, with crystal chandeliers and dark wood. Every time we entered the lounge we were greeted very pleasantly and treated to impeccable service.

We were taken to our room in the club wing of the resort. We saw maybe 3 other people in this area during our whole stay. No kids running up and down, no doors slamming, just peace and quiet, which is exactly what we were looking for. Every time we left our room we automatically started speaking quietly as that was the mood. The room was large, with hardwood floors and a very large marble bathroom. There was a balcony, from which if you looked hard, you could see the ocean. Everything was very clean. We don’t know if the TV worked; we were usually out enjoying all that the resort had to offer.

Included in the price of the club room is breakfast, tea from 2 – 4, and happy hour from 4:30 to 7:30. We could choose from several locations but almost always opted for the club lounge in the main building. It was cool and quiet – a nice respite from being outside at the beach all day. Breakfast was either off the menu and or a buffet of fresh fruit, cheeses and many other choices. The pastry basket was wonderful with tiny delicious homemade doughnuts and croissants. We went to tea once which was just ok, but happy hour was the high point of the day, food wise. Sushi, hot appetizers and a small buffet of smoked fish, fruit and several other items. The appetizers changed every day and all were quite good, and could have been a meal. The fresh fruit juices, for those of us not drinking alcohol were yummy and refreshing.

We ate at the poolside restaurant which was very dark with slow service, as well as the Italian restaurant, same comments. Food was so-so at both. We enjoyed the beachside café for lunch and dinner; can’t beat the view, being a few feet from the ocean, and quite reasonable prices.

The highlight of our stay was the beachside bales (pavilions with cushions), another reason to stay at the club, as they are not as crowded and there are very few kids on this end of the resort. We were surrounded by people and yet all we heard was the crashing of the waves and the wind in the palm trees. If you stand up the little flag provided, a staff member comes over and takes your drink order, otherwise no one bothers you. The grounds are exquisite and beach is fairly calm and never crowded. What a restful time in paradise.

Room Tip: Club Room is a must!
3 Thank Dale J
Dear Dale J,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2013

It's my second stay at this hotel, but this time I saw a big improvement since last year. Staff and Services were excellent. We book a Duplex room and our room was no nice! It's a very big resort, and it's not a problem to find a chair anywhere... Beach is nice also. Food at Italian Restaurant is excellent and at Japanese restaurant as well. I recommend a Club Room, because they have a very good concept, you can enjoy the happy hour cocktail drinks anywhere in the resort, especially at sunset Bar. I will return there of course!

3 Thank Thaiger1
Michel_KJ_Chertouh, General Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Pierre D,

Thank you for taking the time to share details regarding your recent holiday experience at the Resort. I am delighted to hear that the special entitlements offered by Club InterContinental anticipated all of your needs and that you enjoyed the Duplex Room at InterContinental Bali Resort.

Thank you for recognizing that our team really does try to go above and beyond the call of duty to be hospitable. We pride ourselves on catering to the personal needs of all of our guests and providing service that comes from the heart.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort on future travels to the island of Bali.

Regards,

Michel Chertouh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
AYANA Resort and Spa
AYANA Resort and Spa
#13 of 57 in Jimbaran
The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, Bali

Been to INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort? Share your experiences!