“Top Notch Family Vacation!!!”

INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort
Ranked #5 of 62 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We are a family of 4 that wanted a vacation that catered to both the children AND the parents. We found exactly what we wanted at the Intercontinental Bali Resort.

The kids' club is truly a place where parents can take their children for a few hours and have the kids enjoy crafts, fishing, kid's yoga, or many other activities. My husband and I were amazed that day after day our children were pleased to put in an appearance at the kids club and have a few hours of alone time. We spoke with another couple that employed the private nanny service but it wasn't something we took advantage of.

Our loft room was very clean, appropriately comfortable, and had its own cappuccino machine (score)! We had 2 bathrooms with plenty of space for a family of 4. The master bathroom was extremely large and provided fantastic amenities. Although our room did not overlook the water, we had a beautiful view of the grounds and enjoyed our location. Many people have commented that they never saw or called their room butler but we'd like to offer that we did utilize the service and found it a great perk.

The many POOLS... the resort has fantastic pools and we found our children never wanted to leave. If I am counting correctly, there were 6 pools in total and plenty of places to rest in either the sun or shade.

I can honestly say we took advantage of every resort amenity and loved it. Breakfast is phenomenal and provides cuisine from several cultures. We rented a resort car to visit the Uluwatu Temple. Our driver kindly walked us through the tour and provided as much information as he could, despite tour guide not being in his job description. We enjoyed afternoon tea in the club.

When looking for constructive criticisms on this vacation, we can only think of 2. During our visit to the temple we felt a bit rushed. Keep in mind we never commented on this or asked for more time to sight see. Our last thought was that we found lunch at the Beach Tiki Bar to be expensive. The menu was the same menu as all other locations of the resort and we were hoping for something a bit more casual.

You cannot go wrong booking a family getaway at this resort. If we return to Bali, we'd stay here again in a heartbeat. This was our first stay at an Intercontinental Resort and we loved it.

• Stayed: May 2013
Michel_KJ_Chertouh, General Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear SStrat,

Thank you for the feedback pertaining to the recent stay at our resort.

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the stay with family.

Michel Chertouh

Write a ReviewReviews (4,143)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

While we were having sunset drinks at The Intercontinental Jimbaran Bay, I was lucky to take some great photos of the sunset. I also took a brilliant (my words) photo of a honeymoon (I presume) couple frolicking in the surf. The photo of them is in silhouette and I would be very happy to send it to them. So if anyone knows of this couple having a swim at sunset outside The Intercontinental on the 18th July 2013, please message me. There were only a few people on the beach at the time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Teresa B,

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is by far the best resort we have stayed in in Bali. Enormous grounds with beautiful established gardens and well thought out design. Lots of options for pools, restaurants etc. As an IHG Ambassador member we received extra special treatment - we were upgraded to a Bukit Suite and enjoyed all the amenities of the lovely Club Lounge. Staff here are unfailingly happy and really well trained. From greeting you by name to remembering your children's juice preferences,they were brilliant. We used the planet Trekkers kids club a couple of times and kids were always happy to go there. It is a fairly relaxed kids club - has its own pool and playground so kids can have fun without always needing to be doing organized activities. We arranged babysitters through the hotel 3 or 4 evenings and they were truly lovely ladies. We can't wait to come back to the Intercontinental Jimbaran!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank booandgus

Dear booandgus,

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have been really surprised by some of the negative reviews of this hotel. If you have no children I recommend you pay for the "Club" section of this hotel. I have stayed in the club twice without children and LOVED it. You have your own pool, restaurant etc and you don't even know there is anyone else in the hotel.
This is my 4th visit to the Intercontinental and I know I will be back for a 5th. Highly recommend this hotel if you have children. The service is fantastic, friendly staff, clean, great food and the pool is perfect for big or small children.
I think the beach is a highlight - it's clean and we loved a dip in the ocean every day.
I also loved the kids club - the staff were amazing and the facilities perfect (including its own little pool). We used a babysitter on the odd night and the kids loved them.
We traveled to Uluwatu on scooter from here which was easy and caught a taxi to Seminyak (30 minutes during quiet times but can take an hour during peak times).
We found some great restaurants within walking distance - the hotels can suggest these to you. We also had our laundry done across the road (cheap) and we also had massages, manicures and pedicures across the road (cheap). All the little girls had their hair braided in the salon across the road which was better than the beach.
My only negative (which is tiny) would be the wifi in the room was not great which was annoying when both my husband and I own businesses. Around the pool and hotel it seemed to work perfectly.
For what we wanted and expected this hotel was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool (you will then be close to everything).
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Alice2525

Dear Alice2525,

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Ignore the website photos. Old, tired and dated. The hotel has not kept up with its apparent 5* rating. The wood is old and scratched, the chalking around the bath poor. The toilet, basin and bath, lackluster.. Turn down service comes at 4pm??? There are kids everywhere. You can't escape them. Even the Melia had a kids free pool. For 5* I should be able to have some peace and quiet.

The prices are exorbitant. I've read the theory is that the Prices are in consideration of other 5* hotels. Well...the IC is not Ayana. It is not 4 seasons. It is not even Jimbaran Puri. 60,000 for a Bintang when it's 20,000 at Balique is insane. That's even more than 5* back home. What exactly am I paying for when the prices are that inflated? And the Indonesian food? Lack thereof and what is there is far too expensive.185000 for a club sandwich??!! That doesn't even include the 20% tax. The prices exploit the poor people who make the food and sell the ingredients because its definitely not absorbed in 5* luxury or 5* service.

Positives? The gym is very good. The steam and sauna is a good addition. The Singaraja lounge whilst a good idea is poorly located at the bottom of a dark stairwell. No wonder no one was there.

Le Meridien was my 1st choice and I should have kept it that way. Jimbaran whilst great, you will not have much choice for food if you decide you can't justify paying for sub par, western food. Stay in Nusa Dua is you want to be south of the Airport.

I paid around $290US pet night. About as dear as 6 senses Con Dao, a true 5* resort.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank berniebern
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear berniebern,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the disappointment you had with the condition of our hotel and the service you received. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

We value your comments and we hope to have another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We arrived at intercontinental after a few days in Ubud and Hong Kong. We had a 7 night stay to conclude our honeymoon and upon arrival we were told that we'd been upgraded to VIP as we were honeymoon guests. However our room was dull, dated and had no view apart from looking at a tree and other rooms opposite. It quickly became evident that although we'd been 'upgraded', this only meant we had been located in the 'club' area of the hotel and it didn't give us any of the offers that come with a 'club membership' - such as free soft drinks during the day (we even had to listen to club members talking about being given free massages). Therefore whilst we were just about allowed to sit with the club members during the day, we did have to pay for our drinks which made us stand out, and hardly made us feel special. A farcical example was on the last day (today) when I asked for two waters. The waiter asked for our room number and he said sorry you can't have it as you aren't club members. I said 'I know, can I just pay for them please'. He sent someone over who waffled on about no water being available for us from the club bar so he would get it from jimbaran bar and it would be free. I said ok fine I just want 2 waters! Five minutes later the barman from jimbaran bar came over and asked me what I wanted. I just said I'll just get the water from my room as it would be quicker and free. He replied with 'yes probably best'. How hard can it be to order two waters on the last day of our honeymoon? Totally ridiculous.

3 days into our stay we were kept awake by a screaming baby next door during the night. We contacted reception to let them know about this. We were awakened by the screaming baby again at 5am. We spoke to reception before breakfast and they promised we would be contacted that day by duty manager. We had no contact. 11pm that night, the baby started screaming again so I got dressed and spoke to reception where I spoke to the duty manager. I was completely reasonable and said I sympathise with the parents of the baby but it doesnt help us on our honeymoon. She had very little to say and didn't seem to care too much. I'm sure if we were 'club members' things would have been different. Customer service severely lacking from a managerial perspective.

There were other issues that we found during our week long stay, but also some positives were the staff were generally friendly and the resort was clean (although getting very dated), the gardens were very well maintained.

If you are on honeymoon, travelling half way across the world like we did and you want to feel slightly special, don't come to this hotel unless you have 'club membership' as you will be disappointed like we have been. (And the fact that I'm writing this and I'm still at the hotel on my honeymoon explains our disappointment)

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Ricwill4
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Ricwill4,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and regret our customer service and room accommodations did not live up to your expectations. Your comments are important to us to ensure we are constantly focused on improving our service and we hope we can demonstrate to you our commitment to value and service.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Rooms are a bit tired, but common areas and grounds are nice. Beach is pretty, but direct view of airport runway not so exotic. Pool area is crowded, like search for a chair kind of crowded. My husband and I don't like to feel like sardines, so not big fans of the main pool area. It seems very kids friendly, so if you have kids, come here. If you are looking for a honeymoon spot or a kid-free trip, definitely don't come here. Tons of kids on the beach, throwing balls and rafts in the pools and etc. screeching kid sounds continually throughout the day....not really my cup of tea. Also, of the 5 times I went to get a towel at the pool during my stay, only 1 time was I able to get one towel. My husband never even got one, so we shared. The reason was that they were waiting for more to come from the laundry. Seriously? It's a beach and pool resort - towels are pretty basic. We would have checked out and left, but both Alilas and the Chedi were full, so we were stuck here. We were staying for free on Club points, and even at free it wasn't worth our time. Breakfast is acceptable but crowded, noisy, and you are given the check to sign while eating!!!! Maybe we are spoiled (likely) but this is more like a 3 star Hilton or Marriott, definitely not a five star in my book. If you are used to Motel 6 or Holiday Inn, this place will impress, but if you're used to Four Seasons, Ritz, or any of the small Leading Hotels of the World, don't stay here, you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WorldTrip713
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear WorldTrip713,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
2 mi away
AYANA Resort and Spa
AYANA Resort and Spa
#11 of 62 in Jimbaran

Been to INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort? Share your experiences!