“Best place we stayed in Bali”

INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort
Ranked #5 of 62 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We started our 2 week Bali holiday here and it was the perfect place. We had a room in the Singarija block 4. The hotel has all what you expect from a 5 star hotel and the staff were very friendly and accomodating. As there are not so many things you can do outside the resort it's even more important to have several facilities like the spa, gym, several pools etc. What we especially liked what that it never felt overcrowded.

We returned in January at the end of our trip for another 2 nights after a terrible experience in Sanur and had at that time first a room in Singarija block 3, which was a bit dated. However, the manager was able to change us again to block 4 and we ended our trip as we started - with best memories.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephane D, Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear "FrankSyd",

Thank you very much for your positive review about your stay at the InterContinental Bali Resort.

It is always delightful to know that a guest enjoyed the stay and was satisfied with our standards, service and location.

We hope to have the pleasure of your visit again soon.

Resort Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,143)

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The initial service provided at check-in was mediocre for a 5 star resort, especially as an Intercontinental Ambassador member. It was nice to sit in a lounge while they frantically try to check me in, but I would have been happier at the front desk. The whole check-in process must have taken at least 15 minutes, when it should have taken 2 minutes. I finally gave up and walked over to the desk to finish the check-in process quicker.

The resort is beautiful with a very large property, and a nice pool bar. The beach was also fantastic, and we had a lot of fun.

One of the few problems I had were the bugs in the rooms. We have a boarding house in Kuta, and our boarding house almost never has bugs in it, so why does a 5 star resort have such a bug problem?

When my wife approached the desk, they didn't give her much attention; she felt discriminated against because she's a local, and they knew it. But when I approached the front desk behind her, they were very nice to me.

I paid way too much for a small room at that hotel, if it wasn't for Mr. Nyoman Sapta, the whole stay would have been a bust. Sapta was very nice and got me a wonderful upgrade which made the huge amount of money I paid worth it. He was very nice when I finally got to meet him in person; unfortunately it was only an hour before we left the hotel.

The Breakfast Buffet was fantastic! As an Intercontinental Ambassador I thought I was going to get free breakfast, but was only offered a 50% discount. Fine, but it was good. I was very impressed with the guy at the cappuccino machine; I told him I wanted two and said something like "Ok sir, I will bring it to your table". I asked him if he new where I was sitting, and he pointed to our table across the room. I thought that was very impressive, he really paid attention. He did a very good job with the cappuccinos as well.

The one thing I was very displeased with however is that there is no PC Lounge, and no Ambassador Lounge. I joined the Ambassador specifically for this one vacation, and the only lounge I had access to was because of my upgrade to a Singaraja suite; and it only offered free tea and coffee during certain hours... That was disgusting...

Room Tip: Book Early through the Intercontinental Bali Resort Website to get the best rate. The weather is al...
1  Thank MrDuoos
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Usually I write a review after our stay, this time I do it during our stay.

This is our first time we are in Bali and in this resort.
When we arrived at the hotel the reception was very friendly and everyone made ​​us feel indeed to be a VIP.
As an Ambassador Platinum member we got a very nice upgrade to a Uluwatu suite, very nice and well done.

The only thing we experienced as negative is that there is a door on both sides of the club room and other guests use this as accelerated route from the breakfast restaurant to their room, which is quite annoying and get nothing said by the staff.club floor .

There is a pool for club guests only but it is used by customers who have no club room, there are signs everywhere that the club pool and bar area around it are for club guests only, but none of the staff checked this.
First day when I arrived at the pool came nobody asked me my room number, in fact, I had to wait for more then 10 minutes for someone to help with the sunbeds and towels,
They also have five cabanas around the pool club, these are from 8 o'clock in the morning reserved with towels by guests, hours later they come to the pool and remain there all day.

From our room I can see the pool and for already two days there is a family with children stay all day in one of the cabanas which certainly don't have a club room, I saw them going to their room into a building on the other side of the resort which is no club floor.

Even though there is a family with two small children who also not stay in a club room, the mother had one of the kids in the pool puddles, everyone could see this and none of the staff took action.

Even today, the pool of the club looks like a kids pool, lots of screaming kids and nobody says anything.

So after all the good experience with check in and the friendliness of the staff, if you want a nice and quite vacation as a couple and have the benefits of the room you booked, we don't think this is the right resort.

I have heard that the Conrad Bali resort strict rules on the use of the club floor and club pool, no kids under 12 have access to these two areas, you know immediately if you booked a club room with them.

We want to go back to Bali in August, the island is great, but then we probably stay in Conrad resort.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rene7
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Rene7,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Intercontinental in Bali is simply stunning. It is situated right along the beach and offers a lovely tranquil stay. As royal ambassador's my husband and I were spoilt with free Mojito's, crepes, tasting plates, scrumptuous breakfasts, and a truly relaxing experience. The club rooms have the option of shower or bath and they are elderly friendly. The large ponds of Koi fish are lovely and you may even spot the occasional turtle. :) The beach and pool areas have their own lappa's or lounges that are exotic and covered over, for protection from the sun or rain. The staff are incredibly friendly and welcoming all the time. The geckos are the largest I've ever seen, and a cheap massage is just across the road from the hotel and a few shops down. I even got my toenails painted with flowers! A truly wonderful experience. Thank you Intercontinental!

Room Tip: Club rooms are wonderful and roomy. I've not been to the other rooms in the hotel. The drinks...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephane D, Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Sandy S,

Thank you for your review of InterContinental Bali Resort. I am delighted that you enjoyed your holiday with us and appreciate your compliments on the service from our team members, of whom I am personally very proud. . I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the tranquility and design of our property's landscaping and grounds. I am equally looking forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Bali Resort when you are next in Bali.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at the Intercontinental for 2 nights around new years eve.
The hotel was as we expected from a big hotel. Nice hotel, good service but impersonal.

What I liked: very Balinese decoration, several restaurants in the hotel

What I did not like: i almost had to beg the hotel to book us a table for new years eve and even if i had already prepaid all the rooms, they still wanted me to pay for the table reservations upfront. Incredible.
I also did not like their lack of tables in the shade for the breakfast and their lack of flexibility. They refused to put 2 tables together in the breakfast area inside. We were 6 and wanted to have breakfast together. As 2 smaller tables next to each other were vacant, it was logical to us they would put them together for us so that we could eat together but they refused.

Anyway, the hotel is nicely located.

I would recommend to go and eat seafood in one of the small seafood restaurants on the beach rather than in the hotel. It is 10 times cheaper and better.

I liked the pool bar, the pavilion next to the pool where you can rest in the shade.
If you really need a shady place, you might want to start looking for a sun bed in the early morning, because they don't have enough parasols or shady places for everybody.

Rooms are very spacious.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Caroline026
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Intercontinental @ Jimbaran has been our obvious choice in Bali for a while now and we were welcomed back for the New Year week with open arms. Starting from the warm welcome on arrival, Ambassador upgrades, extensive grounds to find your private resting corners to an exclusive stretch of beachfront (arguably the best in Bali), Intercontinental Jimbaran has it all!

Obviously was peak week in Bali, and the constant rain spoilt the fun a bit. 15 minute car rides to Kuta, took 90 minutes to complete. The hotel must have been bursting in the seams, and some of the staff members looked a bit stressed. Yet, its probably our favorite resort in the world to be stranded at the property all day!

Being home to us, may like to suggest some home improvement tips for the future...

1. Teens who outgrow Planet Trekkers, may like some options to spend time and their bundle of energy. The turtle release project on Thursdays and having bicycles at hand are good initiatives. More activity options for the older kids would be welcome.

2. Food options at the resort could do with some expansion. Bella Cucine is a great option, so is the Japanese place. Could do another option or two. Could do with seafood nights a few days of the week as an alternate to walks to the seafood shacks down the beach. Priced right with fresh options, could be a better bet than the walk out of the resort, specially when its raining. The room service menu and the snack options at the outdoor Bale may need some overhaul.

3. More hotel led activities on the beach would be welcome. The Ripcurl store in the corner seems quite non-active. What would be great is more hotel led action on the beach initiating the guests to do more with their time.

Needless to say, we will be back, year after year.

Room Tip: Cant get a better location in Bali than this. Beachfront privacy and yet close to action
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Avijit D

Dear Avijit D

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at InterContinental Bali Resort. I am grateful for your feedback on where we can enhance our services and you can be sure that I will address each point with my team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is my second stay at the Bali Intercontinental and again is was beautiful, I would rate the hotel as one of the best in the world. Every aspect of the hotel and location is fantastic, i would certainly recommend to everyone.
Bali itself has a long way to go to improve basic infrastructure, but once you enter the gates of the Intercontinental you're in a different world.
I look forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: Singaraja rooms !!
1  Thank Michael S
Stephane D, Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear 'msimmsmelb'

Thank you for your comments, it's very rewarding to hear such positive feedback from our guests. We hope to see you again in our resort in the not-too-distant future.

Resort Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
2 mi away
AYANA Resort and Spa
AYANA Resort and Spa
#11 of 62 in Jimbaran

Been to INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort? Share your experiences!