“Will be returning again”

INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort
Ranked #5 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have stayed at this resort twice in the last two years and thoroughly enjoyed both visits. Rooms and facilities are excellent and always clean, staff are very friendly and breakfasts are super. Hotel restaurants are also good. Hotel is a short taxi ride to Kuta. The resort is both couple and family friendly, with a great pool and beach access. We will be returning again for a third time, and probably more!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephane D, Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear MrBally12

Thank you for your review of InterContinental Bali Resort. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the cuisine, the views and also service from our team members, of whom we are very proud.

I will share your feedback with them, and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Warm regards

Stephane Duchenne
Resort Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,079)

Reviewed January 5, 2013

What a great place. Luxurious and comfortable. We took the Club option, which was, although quite expensive, made the trip very special, we loved the Club lounge and used it almost daily for relaxed breakfasts, away from the hustle and bustle of the main restaurants, and the Club pool was great. A huge thanks to one staff member, Yoga. An absolute asset to the resort, so helpful, informative and friendly, great restaurant recommendations and assistance with bookings and transfers.
I could go on and on, great restaurants on-site and nearby, lovely setting too.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Judging from the beautiful photos and heavenly description of the Spa Uluwatu at the Bali Intercontinental, I put aside an afternoon to indulge in some peace and pampering. I chose to have the "Pure Radiance" facial, described as "imagine moonlight on a calm sea...", the French manicure, Deluxe pedicure and the "Traditional Cream Bath" (for my hair). I imagined the soft comfort and soothing sounds of the purported goddess-like spa while my face, nails and hair would be pampered and I would come out feeling calm, relaxed and sparkly. For my first treatment, somehow I found myself lying on a hard spa bed, uncovered save for the standard spa smock I was given to wear, in a small anex-type room in the hairdresser having my facial. The room was pretty average and although there was "spa" music playing in the background, this was drowned out by the chitter chatter and blow dryers in the main area of the hairdresser. I had to ask for a towel when I got cold and was covered with one that felt like sandpaper, not a soft, fluffy one frankly I would expect. I also had to ask for a drink of water. Also, I was given no indication as to what products were being applied to my face, and was slightly surprised at one point when my face was being washed with soap.. (??). I then had my mani and pedi, followed by the cream bath for my hair. Both of these treatments were done in the main part of the hairdresser which frankly was a bit ordinary. My nails were dried with a hair dryer!! Overall, I not feel like I had a spa experience. I felt like I had a couple of supplementary services at a hair salon. I did not come away feeling pampered, relaxed and special. I was prepared to part with US$250++ for a 5-Star spa experience. I came away feeling cheated, frustrated and annoyed.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jansykes
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear jansykes,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased that the room accommodations were the highlights of your stay. I am truly sorry to hear that the spa services did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually .The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at InterContinental on arrival in Bali for 4 nights. I was not anticipating a great experience as I thought it may be just another "big" impersonal hotel. We were so pleasantly surprised! We were in a "club" room with beautiful view of ocean. Furnishings were a bit dated but room very clean with no musty odors. Best parts of stay were GREAT afternoon tea, cocktails and buffet breakfast. We enjoyed the gym, spa was terrific (had 3 spa services) and pools were wonderful - would stay again. Even though close to airport the noise was never an issue. Wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Definetly choose a "club" level room on upper floor with views in remodeled wing.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family of 4 (kids 7 & 9) stayed here for 5 nights while in Bali and we loved it. We had already spent a couple of nights in the Ubud area and this was our total relaxation spot afterwards. The resort is absolutely gorgeous - the pools are beautiful, the grounds are stunning and the location on the beach is ideal (sand is great and you can walk down the beach to casual dinner places nearby). The rooms are just what you'd expect from the InterContinental and the breakfast buffet is excellent. If you can spring for the Club level rooms, do so. Not only do you have the usual Club benefits, but there is a private Club pool that is really relaxing. The turtle release program you can take part in is also nice. Lastly, our girls loved the kids club.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I spent six days in total at the Intercontinental (IC) in Bali. Previously, I've stayed at the IC in Zurich and in Fiji, both of which were great experiences and I was actually looking forward to this stay. I was left extremely disappointed, but let's do the positive stuff first!:) The hotel is lovely and large and the grounds are beautiful - just what I'd expected. The breakfast buffet was also good with a large selection. We paid a bit extra and stayed in the Club Duplex suite, which was nice. Now on to the negatives, which will take up a good chunk of this review, unfortunately. Our arrival at the airport was terrible. We were travelling with another family and had specifically requested that enough vehicles were sent to transport all of us to the hotel. In fact, my husband had repeatedly reminded the staff that two cars were needed (airport transfers were included and we had a total of 11 people). Despite all of the reminding and the assurance of the staff that there would be enough vehicles, we arrived late in the evening to find that only one car was there to pick us up. After much drama and several phone calls to the hotel, we had to hire a taxi and the hotel agreed to cover the cost. The service at the hotel was extremely slow and lacked consistency all around. There was little action taken to fix any issues, which we found puzzling. There were issues with even basic things, such as bringing straws for ALL the water glasses on the table, getting napkins, plates, drinks, etc., etc. We brought this up to the Club manager, Devi, who said she'd work on it. As people who've travelled so extensively, this was a completely new experience to all of us and not what we'd expect having paid the extra money. The afternoon tea and other perks of the Club were very average at best. It just seemed as if very little training had gone into the service staff. They were pleasant, though! Budi, one of the workers in the Club Lounge, had to be the best guy there.
The rooms were fine, but I'd completely re-do the lighting. There were so many switches and it was completely unnecessary. Also, the room service cleaning was a bit hit or miss and actually missed cleaning one of our Club Duplex suites! Some of the elevators needed a good going over for mildew and the Planet Trekkers room (the kids' club) was so warm that we were actually afraid to leave our children there. We asked them to turn the AC up a bit and were told that it was already on. Then, we asked them to bring fans into the room and were assured that it would be taken care of. When we returned to get the kids a few hours later, there were no fans. Nice.
The best service we had during our entire stay was a meal at Bella Cucina. The staff was very good and the food was impressive. Sadly, neither of our families will return to this Intercontinental:(

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Jennifer Y
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Jennifer Y,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at our property. I hope you will believe me when I say that your experience is not the norm in our hotel. Please accept our deepest apologies for the poor experience you had in our shuttle service and for any service issues you have encountered. Your concern is definitely not up to our standards and we assure you that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

I regret that you found these aspects of your stay displeasing, your feedback will be discussed with the management team and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. We all hope that should your travel plans bring you back to the area, you will give our hotel another try and allow us to redeem your faith in our award winning service.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at IH from 15 – 19 Dec 2012 and it is our first holiday in Bali.

We originally booked for two Resorts Classic rooms but reservations staff suggested that upgrade it to a Duplex Suite which sleeps 2 adults and 2 children as they were unable to commit to our request for connecting rooms. We took the hotel transfer (at USD12) and we reached the hotel within 15 minutes on the road.

Everything on the hotel is huge, from driveway, lobby to the compound. May be this is the criteria of most Bali hotels. Check in was smooth and we served by a trainee. She was patient and spent some time explaining to us the facilities and hotel map to us. We were grateful that they Duplex Suite was ready even though we were there at noon time.

I have a mix reviews on the Duplex Suite and hope this helps those who are contemplating on booking one, especially families.

Room
Pros:
- more spacious for family – for the kids, suitcases, shoes, sand toys and purchases (I like my stuff organised even when on holiday)
- there were two TV in the suite, means no fighting over TV channels or me being forced to watch Cartoon Network !

Cons
- the bellman left the suitcases at the ground floor and we completely forgotten the “room” is on upstairs till he left. In the end, my hubby had to lug the suitcase up himself and we decided to leave one of it on the ground floor.
- ground floor toilet is just a vanity toilet and not very helpful if the kids are still sandy back from the beach and in need of a quick rinse. We ended up with sands on the floor
- one morning my hubby decided to read newspaper in the balcony and left the door opened and that means inviting the mosquitoes into the room too – yikes. And once the balcony door is open the air con will be automatically switch off (there is a fan upstairs but it wasn't in working condition)
- no regular maintenance – e.g. fan wasn't working, torch light ran out of battery
- till the day I checked out I haven’t got a clue how the switches works. It seems like the master switch is on the ground floor by the main door. One night I merely press a switch on the side bed table and that switches off the downstairs TV! There wasn't any option for us to leave the bathroom light on as night light for the kids
- the hotel set up the sofa extra bed at FOC on the ground floor and it means you will have a bed smack right in the middle of the living room in front of TV throughout your stay.

Conclusion: I would not recommend Duplex Suite for family with young children as they will refuse to sleep alone downstairs. It ended up with my hubby sleeping on the sofa bed and the kids bunk in on the queen bed with me. The stairs are quite steep for young children to climb up themselves. This room is more suitable for family with older kids.

Suggestion: It would be nice to have kids size bath robe / bedroom slippers in the rooms if the hotel is actively selling this Duplex Suite to families.

Spa
I visited it on my last day as a treat for myself. A 50 minutes for shoulder and back massage set you back by Rp.400,000 + tax. Expensive but I didn't have time to recce outside spas.

Restaurant
The only meal to we took in the hotel was the daily breakfast which we took at Bella Cucina overlooking the beach. Nice and quiet. Buffet spread was good.

Overall
A nice quiet hotel with a well maintained garden and ample compound for the kids to run around. My elder boy rented a kids bike to cycle around the hotel. There is a small playground and mini football area for kids.

Hotel is located in a fishing village and nothing much within walking distance. Nearby outside eateries (Balinique, Jimbaran Corner) but not very advisable to walk out at night with kids. Traffic can be bad and there are potholes along walkway (some are without covers!). Taxi ride to Kuta is cheap at Rp. 60,000 if you decides to venture out.

We were out on day trips most of the days expect on the last day which we really spent half a day on the daybed overlooking the beach. It was very relaxing with sea breeze blowing on your face and looking at flights taking off from Ngurah Rai Airport - thinking to myself in a few hours time I will be on one flying home ….. BUT I BE BACK!

p/s: Oh… and 2 days before our arrival, the hotel Concierge sent us a welcome email attaching the hotel’s weekly activities. I think that was a nice welcoming gesture even before we reach the hotel.

Room Tip: Duplex Suites are more suitable for family with bigger kids or teenagers
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
#21 of 54 in Nusa Dua
W Bali - Seminyak
W Bali - Seminyak
#19 of 148 in Seminyak

Been to INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort? Share your experiences!