“Modern Balinese style, magnific!”

Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane
Ranked #12 of 58 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed 2 nights and I was very pleased with the room. We stayed in uluwatu suite and it is gorgeous with very spacious room. Bathtub was situated nicely in the bathroom area though the basin area was a little low for my boyfriend when he needed to wash his face as he's rather tall.

The mattress was amazingly comfortable! We had a very big mattress and at some point we were so far from each other =p everytime I returned to the room, we couldn't wait to just dive in the fluffy mattress.

Kupu kupu would be nice if there weren't any kids making noises. The serenity and tranquality sometimes are important. Just pointing out some suggestions.

We would love to come back as we are happy with the room given and the photos provided by kupu kupu jimbaran are exactly the same! We are a happy customers.

• Stayed: April 2013
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear BethKiss2012,

Thanks a lot for your review of our hotels and for all the positive points you mention!

We are sorry that you were inconvenienced by the noise of children. Our clients are usually mostly couples and honeymooners but we are also welcoming families in one of our 2 family suites. If the noise of other guests becomes a disturbance, we are always happy to communicate with them to improve the situation. I believe such disturbance are extremely rare and I would like to apologize again if this caused you any trouble.

As you live in Singapore, we hope that we will see you again soon in Bali!. If so, please do not hesitate to send us an email directly at reservation@kupujimbaran.com to enjoy our best rates and offers.

Best regards from Jimbaran,

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I love the hotel, it is unique and comfortable. I stayed in the Muaya Duplex Suite with the living hall and toilet on the ground floor and the bed on the second floor. I love the room and the swimming pool. However the aircond is slightly warm because the room is too big. Take note that the toiletries are no longer by L'occitane. The management responded immediately when I complained to them that their website still imply that they use L'occitane products. I was offered an hour of massage at the Bamboo spa for me and my partner. The massage is great and I felt very pampered at every detail. It was a pity that I fell very sick during the night of my stay and I couldn't enjoy the room to the fullest. The pharmacy that is located in the hotel building (the small mall) came in handy and I'm able to get medicine immediately. The food at the hotel is a slight disapoointment though, looks great but does not taste quite as good as it looks. Walk to the beach is a bit far, but buggy is provided.

Dear Seeyumi,

Thank you very much for your review of Kupu Kupu Jimbaran! We are all happy that you stay with us went well, and we hope to see you again soon in Jimbaran... We are sorry that you were sick during part of your stay though.

It is true that our hotel is unique, combining the best features between a resort and a city hotel. We have beautiful rooms, only 5 minutes from the beach, and still there are 5 restaurants, 15 boutiques and one of Bali's best spas within our building.

I took note of your remarks regarding the aircon and the food. I discussed the issues with the corresponding Head of Department and we will do our best to improve on those points.

If you would like to come back to Kupu Kupu, please send us an email directly at reservation@kupujimbaran.com to enjoy our best rates and offers!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

For the price you pay (through hotels.com) this is quite the good deal!

The boutique hotel is located above Jimbaran Corner shopping centre and is cute. Don't freak out, Kupu Kupu is not above a monstrous shopping mall, but a small one.

Most of the rooms are located around the central pool area and are two-floor units. Meaning spacious. The layout perhaps is not the best for the living room / bathroom is downstairs and the bedroom upstairs. At least that was the layout of our duplex. So at night when you have to go to the bathroom, you really have to watch it that you don't trip down the stairs. But the design works, although the rooms are a bit dark.

According to the pictures on their website, it seems that some rooms do have the bedroom and bathroom downstairs and living room upstairs. So I presume different layouts exist,

My in-laws were moved to the Balangan suite, which is on a single-floor and that seemed more appropriate for them, so as to avoid the stairs.

Breakfast is at one of the restaurants downstairs, in the mall, and was decent.

Although the hotel is not on the beach, they provide a buggy service to Jimbaran beach which is 5 minutes away. You can actually walk for it's just down the road. The Jimbaran Beach Club belongs to the same owners so you can get an umbrella and sun bed there, as well as have a great meal. Sunsets are stunning!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the bathroom and bedroom on the same floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bojantercon

Dear Bojantercon,

Thank you for your review and for your detailed description of our hotel!

You are correct to say that we have different layouts for our rooms (Bedroom upstairs or downstairs) and we always do our best to accommodate the guests. Next time you book with us, don't hesitate to send an email first and we will make sure that you are getting the room you need (reservation@kupujimbaran.com).

Regarding our value for money, we recommend to everyone to book directly to us by email to get even better rates and offers. Depending on your length of stay and the time of the year, we are happy to offer extra services and additional discounts for those direct bookings.

Hoping to see you again in Bali soon,

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights here. I booked Uluwatu room, but I got a bigger room with the pool view terrace. The room was clean and spacious. It looked exactly like photos. The shampoo and the body soap were in the glass bottles and it was difficult to use. Other amenities were fine.
The attached terrace has the sun bed which is really nice lying there for reading.
It is true that you can hear street traffic as the hotel is on top of the shopping centre, but it is not that bad. I come to Bali often, not for the beach, more for me to enjoy local food and atmosphere. If you are expecting the beach resort, you should consider other hotels.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank ManngaDua
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear ManngaDua,

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback about our hotel!

I agree with you: We are not a typical beach resort as those that can be found in Nusa Dua for instance. We are more small and intimate: Only 28-rooms in one single building. I believe what makes us unique is also that we are in-between a city hotel and a resort:

We have the convenience of shops, restaurants and easy access to transportation, while having a true holiday vibe with beautiful rooms and easy access to our beach club on Jimbaran bay.

The atmosphere in Jimbaran is also more authentic I believe, and we are rather close from all attractions in South Bali (including the airport).

If you wish to stay with us again, it is best to book directly with us through email, phone or on our own website. You'll get our best rates and special offers.

Warmest regards from Bali,

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed 4 nights in Dec 2012 and 1 night in Jan 2013. Muaya Duplex Suite

Location/ Hotel.
+ at the Jimbaran area with all fresh seafood restaurants - great
+ not far from beach, just 5-7 mins on foot or 2 mins by buggy. The road is quite safe and not dangerous at all. We preferred to walk as there are several speed bumps, so, the way is not very smooth if you travel by car or buggy.
+ there are small shops downstairs, which have many interesting things to buy. And there is a Pharmacy, where we found a helpful English speaking specialist (helped us to find an ointment after sunburn and mosquito bite.
- a road near the hotel is quite noisy (motorcycles) and it does disturb at night and in some rooms at SPA centre
+ Reception works very well and quite helpful

Transfer
+/- transfer to and from airport has no complains. Only 1 suggestion - bigger sign with bigger hotel name on it at meeting point at the airport. There are thousands of meeting signs at arrival and we spent about 30 mins searching ours.

Hotel room
We stayed at N11 both times, loved this room very much. This is Muaya Duplex Suite with a beautiful bedroom upstairs. Faire price
+ the furniture looks new, all Balinese wood, stone and glass
+ the bath (in the middle of Ground floor) looks great, all shower amenities are from Loccitane (I have the same brand at home, so, for me it was very useful)
+ 2 flat screen TV on both floors
+ the 1st floor air con does not blow directly to the bed, which is really good
+ lots of space, Pool view, very clean
+ best canopy/shades in bedroom we have ever seen
- street noise (as I mentioned above)

Bamboo SPA
+ Massage specialists are very professional
+ Receptionists are helpful and with good English
+/- Ambiance in rooms is very relaxing and air con does work properly. Saying that I do advise to ask for a room not overlooking the road: it is too bright and too noisy, which does not help to relax
+ because we stayed at the hotel we had a 250 000 IDR discount

Restaurants
1. Topeng R/ Chocolate Cafe
+ breakfast is very good (included in room charge). There is a choice of American or Indonesian or Japanese and etc breakfasts, tried almost all of them - cooked perfectly. In addition, basket of pastries is advisable. Once we came just before 7 am and had a chance to see a chef preparing dough to be baked - with love and care
+ take a box of macarons. They tasted almost like in Paris

2. Oishi Restaurant
+/- Japanese cuisine. Sashimi is ok - seafood is fresh. But rolls, in my point of view, have too many unnecessary elements, which make them too heavy.
If you want to have a quick bite this is not for you. We waited for about 30 mins for our rolls

3. JBC Bistro - on the beach
+ view is good, service is good
+/- food is average

Beach Club
There is no private beach, but the Beach Club has several comfortable sun beds with big umbrellas. This place is secured, so, we were swimming, not worrying about our staff at the club.

All in all this is the very good hotel with a good service. We stayed at this hotel before going to Komodo Island. After Komodo trip we booked a hotel Kuta Seaview Boutique (to explore Kuta), but decided to escape to Kupu Kupu and it felt like home)))))

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank I_Kan-Gorski

Dear I_Kan-Gorski,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed it enough the first time to come back a second time a few days later!

I take good note of the points that we should improve:

For the sign to pick up the guests at the airport, we are currently having a new one done and I'll make sure it is visible enough to stand out in the crowd.

I communicated to the restaurant managers your comments about the food and service.

Regarding the noise, in my opinion the big problem comes from the absence of regulation of the volume of some loud motorbike. Both for the spa and the hotel, we have some rooms (a majority actually) that are not located on street side. From these you normally cannot hear any sound coming from the street...

On the upside, Jimbaran is a bit of a sleepy town, and normally there aren't that many cars or motorbike in the streets after 9pm...

If you ever wish to come back to the hotel, please do not hesitate to book directly through our website, through email or by phone to get our best rates and special offers.

Hoping to see you again soon,

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at Kupu Kupu, very nice huge room, we were in 23, clean, separate bath tub, separate toilet, separate shower , nice and peaceful, pool is a lap pool on the roof top, very small really, breakfast is not buffett but really really nice, staff is friendly,location is OK, Jimbaren Bay really doesn't have much street atmosphere, it's pretty old and not many, if none street restaurants, only the seafood restaurants on the beach are for tourists. I probably won't stay in Jimbaren Bay again, unless your seeking complete isolation, don't stay in Jimbaren.

Room Tip: Uluwatu section room 23
2  Thank jakebluesPerth

Dear jakebluesPerth,

Thank you for sharing your experience about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran on TripAdvisor. I believe that you were happy with your stay but it seems like you found Jimbaran not to be interesting.

It is true that Jimbaran by itself has little to offer apart from the beach, but on the upside, it remains authentic. Tourists do not outnumber locals like in Nusa Dua, Kuta or Seminyak and if you spend some time around the market, you will see that the Balinese lifestyle is still vibrant.

It is a fast developing area though, with new restaurants and hotels opening every month. It is also close from the airport, and from here you are at the crossing between Uluwatu, Nusa Dua and Kuta: A perfect base to explore South Bali...

If you come again to Bali, don't hesitate to contact me directly by email (thibaud@kupubarong.com) and I'll be happy to share some tips about the best beaches and activities around Jimbaran!

Thank you again for your stay with us,

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Where do I start? This hotel is on top of a shopping centre, not good. Its a 10 minute walk to the beach or a golf buggy ride. Its noisy, you can hear the traffic from the pool ontop of the hotel. The staff were very slow and didn't seem to know what they were doing. The room we had was lovely I must admit, but apart from that I wouldn't go back again, no way. Only nice thing about it was the Japenese restaurant downstairs and breakfast was ok. But I felt boxed in and you may aswell have a hotel in the middle of any city. Not a tranquil experience at all.

3  Thank Debi M

Dear Debi M,

Thank you for your stay with us and for giving us your feedback about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran.

I would just like to point that our hotel is not a typical Balinese resort with expansive garden and rice field / beach view. I am sorry if you were misled into thinking it was.

We are a concept of our own and I am the first one to admit that it does not suit every traveller.

Our strength are our beautiful rooms and long swimming pool, personalized service, good food, and easy access to many attractions and restaurants in Southern Bali. We also have our own beach club on the Jimbaran Bay, and we manage Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane (for which our customers get a generous discount).

I hope that you can come back one day to our hotel and see it with different eyes. I have met many guests here who were surprised by our property upon arrival, but later on became really found of the place.

Best regards from Jimbaran,