“Very good. Best pastry in Bali ))”

Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane
Ranked #11 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Moscow
“Very good. Best pastry in Bali ))”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed 4 nights in Dec 2012 and 1 night in Jan 2013. Muaya Duplex Suite

Location/ Hotel.
+ at the Jimbaran area with all fresh seafood restaurants - great
+ not far from beach, just 5-7 mins on foot or 2 mins by buggy. The road is quite safe and not dangerous at all. We preferred to walk as there are several speed bumps, so, the way is not very smooth if you travel by car or buggy.
+ there are small shops downstairs, which have many interesting things to buy. And there is a Pharmacy, where we found a helpful English speaking specialist (helped us to find an ointment after sunburn and mosquito bite.
- a road near the hotel is quite noisy (motorcycles) and it does disturb at night and in some rooms at SPA centre
+ Reception works very well and quite helpful

Transfer
+/- transfer to and from airport has no complains. Only 1 suggestion - bigger sign with bigger hotel name on it at meeting point at the airport. There are thousands of meeting signs at arrival and we spent about 30 mins searching ours.

Hotel room
We stayed at N11 both times, loved this room very much. This is Muaya Duplex Suite with a beautiful bedroom upstairs. Faire price
+ the furniture looks new, all Balinese wood, stone and glass
+ the bath (in the middle of Ground floor) looks great, all shower amenities are from Loccitane (I have the same brand at home, so, for me it was very useful)
+ 2 flat screen TV on both floors
+ the 1st floor air con does not blow directly to the bed, which is really good
+ lots of space, Pool view, very clean
+ best canopy/shades in bedroom we have ever seen
- street noise (as I mentioned above)

Bamboo SPA
+ Massage specialists are very professional
+ Receptionists are helpful and with good English
+/- Ambiance in rooms is very relaxing and air con does work properly. Saying that I do advise to ask for a room not overlooking the road: it is too bright and too noisy, which does not help to relax
+ because we stayed at the hotel we had a 250 000 IDR discount

Restaurants
1. Topeng R/ Chocolate Cafe
+ breakfast is very good (included in room charge). There is a choice of American or Indonesian or Japanese and etc breakfasts, tried almost all of them - cooked perfectly. In addition, basket of pastries is advisable. Once we came just before 7 am and had a chance to see a chef preparing dough to be baked - with love and care
+ take a box of macarons. They tasted almost like in Paris

2. Oishi Restaurant
+/- Japanese cuisine. Sashimi is ok - seafood is fresh. But rolls, in my point of view, have too many unnecessary elements, which make them too heavy.
If you want to have a quick bite this is not for you. We waited for about 30 mins for our rolls

3. JBC Bistro - on the beach
+ view is good, service is good
+/- food is average

Beach Club
There is no private beach, but the Beach Club has several comfortable sun beds with big umbrellas. This place is secured, so, we were swimming, not worrying about our staff at the club.

All in all this is the very good hotel with a good service. We stayed at this hotel before going to Komodo Island. After Komodo trip we booked a hotel Kuta Seaview Boutique (to explore Kuta), but decided to escape to Kupu Kupu and it felt like home)))))

2 Thank I_Kan-Gorski
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear I_Kan-Gorski,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed it enough the first time to come back a second time a few days later!

I take good note of the points that we should improve:

For the sign to pick up the guests at the airport, we are currently having a new one done and I'll make sure it is visible enough to stand out in the crowd.

I communicated to the restaurant managers your comments about the food and service.

Regarding the noise, in my opinion the big problem comes from the absence of regulation of the volume of some loud motorbike. Both for the spa and the hotel, we have some rooms (a majority actually) that are not located on street side. From these you normally cannot hear any sound coming from the street...

On the upside, Jimbaran is a bit of a sleepy town, and normally there aren't that many cars or motorbike in the streets after 9pm...

If you ever wish to come back to the hotel, please do not hesitate to book directly through our website, through email or by phone to get our best rates and special offers.

Hoping to see you again soon,

Thibaud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
perth
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at Kupu Kupu, very nice huge room, we were in 23, clean, separate bath tub, separate toilet, separate shower , nice and peaceful, pool is a lap pool on the roof top, very small really, breakfast is not buffett but really really nice, staff is friendly,location is OK, Jimbaren Bay really doesn't have much street atmosphere, it's pretty old and not many, if none street restaurants, only the seafood restaurants on the beach are for tourists. I probably won't stay in Jimbaren Bay again, unless your seeking complete isolation, don't stay in Jimbaren.

Room Tip: Uluwatu section room 23
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jakebluesPerth
Dear jakebluesPerth,

Thank you for sharing your experience about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran on TripAdvisor. I believe that you were happy with your stay but it seems like you found Jimbaran not to be interesting.

It is true that Jimbaran by itself has little to offer apart from the beach, but on the upside, it remains authentic. Tourists do not outnumber locals like in Nusa Dua, Kuta or Seminyak and if you spend some time around the market, you will see that the Balinese lifestyle is still vibrant.

It is a fast developing area though, with new restaurants and hotels opening every month. It is also close from the airport, and from here you are at the crossing between Uluwatu, Nusa Dua and Kuta: A perfect base to explore South Bali...

If you come again to Bali, don't hesitate to contact me directly by email (thibaud@kupubarong.com) and I'll be happy to share some tips about the best beaches and activities around Jimbaran!

Thank you again for your stay with us,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Where do I start? This hotel is on top of a shopping centre, not good. Its a 10 minute walk to the beach or a golf buggy ride. Its noisy, you can hear the traffic from the pool ontop of the hotel. The staff were very slow and didn't seem to know what they were doing. The room we had was lovely I must admit, but apart from that I wouldn't go back again, no way. Only nice thing about it was the Japenese restaurant downstairs and breakfast was ok. But I felt boxed in and you may aswell have a hotel in the middle of any city. Not a tranquil experience at all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Debi M
Dear Debi M,

Thank you for your stay with us and for giving us your feedback about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran.

I would just like to point that our hotel is not a typical Balinese resort with expansive garden and rice field / beach view. I am sorry if you were misled into thinking it was.

We are a concept of our own and I am the first one to admit that it does not suit every traveller.

Our strength are our beautiful rooms and long swimming pool, personalized service, good food, and easy access to many attractions and restaurants in Southern Bali. We also have our own beach club on the Jimbaran Bay, and we manage Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane (for which our customers get a generous discount).

I hope that you can come back one day to our hotel and see it with different eyes. I have met many guests here who were surprised by our property upon arrival, but later on became really found of the place.

Best regards from Jimbaran,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Kupu Kupu for 3 nights and my friends stayed at Ayana. Kupu Kupu represents good value for money compared to the resorts and my booking included breakfast each day which was always nice and a free one hour treatment at the spa. Wifi is free and location is a 5 min walk from the bay (not so crash hot) and also shops etc downstairs is great so you don't have to eat on site all the time. The pool isnt that flash and it can be a bit sticky and warm in the onsite chocolate cafe but Overall a good option. Rooms are nice, clean and well air conditioned.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear ReneeTK,

Thank you very much for your comment and for your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran.

I believe we are a perfect alternative to other more expensive resorts indeed. We are a unique concept, in-between a resort and a city hotel. We definitely have a Balinese/holiday vibe, though still conveniently located in the city, with easy access to shops and restaurants.

I took note that the Chocolate Café can be a bit warm during the day as well.

We hope to see you again soon in Jimbaran. Please contact us directly by mail, phone or through our website to get the best rates and special offers.

Kindest regards,

beijing
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Nice room, nice staffs. Rooms located at 3rd floor. Swimming pool located at Muaya Suite area. Uluwatu suite, where we stayed, located a litle bit further to the swimming pool. The room was very suitable for honeymoon, the place was quiet and peaceful. The bathroom amenities were from L'Occitane, the hot water shower was functioning well.
At 2nd floor, there is Bamboo Spa by L'Occitance. We got free spa for 60 minutes, and we must say the massage was great! At ground floor, there were restaurant, bookstore, pharmacy. A small convenient store (circle K) located 2-3 minute walk from the suite.
The hotel located 10 minutes walk from the beach. You can use the hotel's buggy for 3 mins transportation to the beach but it was not available during our stay. Many seafood restaurants on the beach other than their club, JBC. The beach is clean and nice but not white sand beach. Unfortunately, neither sunset nor sunrise could be seen from the beach.

Dear Sadi K

Thank you for your stay with us during your honeymoon and for your feedback. I find your comment very objective, true and comprehensive.

Regarding the sunset, it can actually be seen completely from the beach from around May to October. Only from November to April, the sun disappears on the hills where the Four Seasons hotel is located... Anytime of the year, I find the sky at sunset time truly beautiful in Bali...

We hope to see you again in the near future, do not hesitate to contact us directly to enjoy our best rates and offers.

Best regards from Jimbaran,

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We have just checked in. Finally. We arrived a couple of hours early before the check in time of 2pm and they couldn't find our reservation. They gave us the excuse that the "office" was closed because it was sunday, then the news came back that the office was locked. We showed the desk staff the confirmation email from Booking.com, she requested that we forward it to them... At this point she informed us that we couldn't check in anyway. Kind of annoying, why didn't she say that at the outset instead of us waiting 30 mins? She suggested we have lunch. We opted for the beach front restaurant. I ordered the sardines, which tasted so dodgy I didn't eat any more that 1 bite, and my partner ordered the beef burger, which the waitress mis-heard as beef steak. My quibble is that when the mistake was discovered she handled it very badly. She didn't apologise, she argued that that is what he ordered and what was she supposed to do with the beef steak, did he want to order the beef burger in addition to the beef steak. Really irritating. My partner ended up eating the beef steak which was very good. I ate a plate of greasy french fries. Needless to say we will not eat there again. It's a question of training. Honest mistakes are forgivable, it depends on how they are dealt with.

we have yet to sleep in the room, so another review to follow

12 Thank DomingoBishop
Dear DomingoBishop,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel and our beach club.

I am sorry that your arrival in the hotel was disappointing and that the check-in was not done in an efficient way.

At the time of your booking, it is true that our office was closed (Sunday). We have changed our procedure since and bookings are checked regularly even on Sunday to avoid last minute confusion.

Our front office agent did not handle the situation well and we will further train our staff to deal with that kind of situation. From the moment you arrived, he should have explained that our check-in time is at 2pm and then he should have presented you various options for you to help you wait. We have 4 restaurants, but also a lounge in which guests can relax, watch TV and take a shower until their room is ready.

If our guests require an early check-in, we always try to accommodate their need based on our occupancy. During high season, it can be difficult however.

Regarding the beach restaurant, I'm sorry about the incident with the food. I have reminded the restaurant manager about our procedure to handle that kind of mistake and I will make sure with him that it reaches the staff. I understand your frustration as this simple mistake was not dealt with properly.

Your review was actually written before you had slept in the hotel. I am curious to hear how the rest of your stay went. Please let me know about your comments here on TripAdvisor, or simply by email: Thibaud@kupubarong.com.

Thank you again for your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran

Tabanan, Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed December 12, 2012

the room was so nice,we had a good experience in this hotel,all staff very kind,its a best place to stay when you are in bali,but a bit sad because i stayed with my baby 6 month so i cant enjoy my free time in here
very good for couple and honeymoon,and got free buggy to the beach the beach also nice quiet not like in kuta beach
for all the thing is the staff was so nice they do their job perfectly with the smile and kindness

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Surya P
Dear Surya P,

Thank you for your comment about our hotel, and specifically about our staff! I'm glad that you found them to be all nice and I will share your comment with them.

As you mention, we are a popular hotel for couples and honeymooners as we are rather intimate and the design of our room is unique. If you ever want to come again to the hotel for a weekend getaway, don't forget to contact our reservation directly or to book on our own website to get the best rates and offers!

Thank you again for your stay and feedback,